The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Round 1: Canadiens vs. Senators

BigTed3

Guest habs1952

Hmmm,,,I am flying Westjet,,,so they had better have the game on!!!!

Have you ever seen the TV show 'Mayday' where they investigate airliner crashes? :)

Guest habs1952

I'm not afraid of flying,,,,,it's the landing. :P

Habs in 5.

Nope. Nothing to worry about. Afterall, in all the years of aviation they've never, ever, left anybody up there.

Ottawa will be a tough test, but frankly, we could have easily won or lost against any of NYR, NYI, or Leafs too. As I said, you need to beat three teams to get to the finals, so Ottawa may as well be one of them. The game plan needs to be to take Karlsson out of their attack... blanket coverage, hit him when he's in his own zone, etc. I'd match the Plekanec line against the Turris line, and then it'll be up to the other two lines to score some goals for us. I think our depth is better, but our special teams are a concern.

With respect to goaltending though, I think Carey has the potential to play above what his regular season numbers show, whereas I think Anderson is more likely to play below what his numbers show. Since he returned from injury, his save % is about 2-3 percent lower than it was before he went down, which really brings him back to the rest of the league. To boot, he's played in the league for a while, and he's never really been a stand-out goalie before, so I think he's beatable. I think Carey can outplay him, and I'd personally take Price over Anderson if I were choosing my goalie for the series. If our special teams can hold, I think we should win the series. If our PK lets us down, especially early in the game, we could be in trouble. My best guess is Habs in 6.

As I said in the Pleks thread, if Pleks can shut down Crosby and Malkin in 2010, he should be able to keep Turris' line contained. After that, our 2nd and 3rd lines are pretty clearly better and I think if we get DD's line out there vs. Conacher-Zibanejad-Silfverberg we could really exploit that matchup. Subban needs to be on the ice vs. Karlsson whenever possible.

I also think the goaltending is a lot closer than the stats indicate, Price's stats are ugly from a disproportionately bad stretch at the end, while Anderson's are inflated from a ridiculously hot start. Not to say we shouldn't be concerned with Ottawa's team D and goaltending, but I don't think it's a brick wall in Ottawa vs a sieve in Montreal like some of the media have been implying.

Looking at our forward depth I think it's pretty reasonable that we come out on top, keep in mind their best healthy centre (Turris) is equivalent or maybe marginally better than Eller, while we still have DD, Pleks, and Galchenyuk to play top 9 C. The concern is our D. If Tinordi and Bouillion can be a competent 3rd pairing and we can shift minutes to them away from Markov, we should be OK. The concern is with them paired, limiting Markov's minutes means limiting Subban's, which we shouldn't be doing in the PO's.

Not to say we shouldn't be concerned with Ottawa's team D and goaltending, but I don't think it's a brick wall in Ottawa vs a sieve in Montreal like some of the media have been implying.

Let's be realistic: the hockey media is the laziest and least insightful sports press corps around. Apart from the very, very few standouts (Friedman and Lebrun, basically), they're all mostly terrible at what they do. When they're right, it's either so obvious it would be impressive if they missed it, or purely on accident. You could write three to four articles for every NHL team, clip the dates and player names, and reuse those for twenty years and barely anyone would notice. The talking heads are the worst, the ex-players are awful, and it's endlessly capricious and petty. The less we take them seriously, the better IMO.

Let's be realistic: the hockey media is the laziest and least insightful sports press corps around. Apart from the very, very few standouts (Friedman and Lebrun, basically), they're all mostly terrible at what they do. When they're right, it's either so obvious it would be impressive if they missed it, or purely on accident. You could write three to four articles for every NHL team, clip the dates and player names, and reuse those for twenty years and barely anyone would notice. The talking heads are the worst, the ex-players are awful, and it's endlessly capricious and petty. The less we take them seriously, the better IMO.

:o Bryzgalov is that you? :lol:

The Habs clearly has the advantage here. With 10 players over 20 points, (Sens have 4 lol.), we can expect a different player to stand up each night instead of putting all the pressure on a single player.

It's still going to be a tough series though. The Habs like to give heart attacks.

Is only post. Why you heff to be mad? :lol:

:lol:

The thing we have going for us the most in this series, IMO, is that Ottawa was a very low-scoring team this year. Especially if we match Pleky against their top line like Ted mentioned, this could be the perfect series to let us get our defensive game back in order before we're thrown against the likes of Pittsburgh or Washington.

Ottawa may have been a low-scoring team this year, but that's playing without Karlsson and Spezza for nigh the whole season. Now that Karlsson is back, their offensive capability just got substantially stronger.

I was watching a piece on the series, and they said that when the rags played the Sens a couple years ago, in the POs, the rags had a plan for Karlsson. And that was to not give Karlsson any room. The player given that task was none other than our Brandan Prust, but I am sure that MT has a plan in place to shut him down. Anderson, they said, will get the 1st shot, but he does give up rebounds.

I was watching a piece on the series, and they said that when the rags played the Sens a couple years ago, in the POs, the rags had a plan for Karlsson. And that was to not give Karlsson any room. The player given that task was none other than our Brandan Prust, but I am sure that MT has a plan in place to shut him down. Anderson, they said, will get the 1st shot, but he does give up rebounds.

Hopefully Prust pummels him into the ground.

Indeed. This is a team you can defend against. In theory, we should be much tougher because of our balanced attack. The key to beating Anderson is absolutely rebounds- he plays very big in his net and stops nearly everything thats thrown at him but his inverted T style leaves him very vunerable to the 2nd or 3rd shots. This series may well be won by guys like Gallagher, Bourque & Patches going to the dirty areas and getting the garbage goals.

Ottawa may have been a low-scoring team this year, but that's playing without Karlsson and Spezza for nigh the whole season. Now that Karlsson is back, their offensive capability just got substantially stronger.

Bingo. Add to that fact that we were a high scoring team but we didnt play great defensive teams like Ottawa every night either. Its going to be a close series, no doubt about that. In the end, I think our firepower will prevail & I think our defensive game will be back on track through this one too.

How do you think match ups will work for us?

I think I would try to put Pleks out against their first line (Turris): We're gonna have to shut them down if we want to win.

Our kid line against their kid line: I feel like our kids might have an advantage. With Eller pretty much dominating games lately, and Gallagher and Galchenyuk near the lead in rookie scoring i think we have the upper hand.

4th lines against eachother: Our smaller guys dont have to put up with their goons in Smith, Kassian and Neil. Let our tougher guys deal with them.

Our first line (I guess its the 1st?) against their third.

Edit: Maybe switch our 1st and third lines and play our kids against their third (still weak opposition) and DD line against their kid line to try to exploit them with our offensive players.