The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Round 1: Canadiens vs. Senators

BigTed3

Posted in the Pleks thread, but I'll repeat: Therrien is more into controlling zone time than he is into matching lines per se. If there's a faceoff, it's more important to him where that faceoff is than who the other team has on the ice. If it's an offensive-zone faceoff, the DD line likely gets it even if the Turris line is out for Ottawa. And so on.

Posted in the Pleks thread, but I'll repeat: Therrien is more into controlling zone time than he is into matching lines per se. If there's a faceoff, it's more important to him where that faceoff is than who the other team has on the ice. If it's an offensive-zone faceoff, the DD line likely gets it even if the Turris line is out for Ottawa. And so on.

I wonder if that's something that he would change in a 7-game playoff series?

Even though I hate the thought of waiting 'til Thurs. for the 1st game, these 4 days between games, gives MT enough practice time to work on the details, go over video, etc. It also works the same for the Sens., although McLean has only 1 PO Rd. to his credit and he lost that. MT has more PO experience, and has been the the finals once.

:lol:

The thing we have going for us the most in this series, IMO, is that Ottawa was a very low-scoring team this year. Especially if we match Pleky against their top line like Ted mentioned, this could be the perfect series to let us get our defensive game back in order before we're thrown against the likes of Pittsburgh or Washington.

If the Plekanec line can go even with the Turris-Alfredsson line, I like our chances. I'll take our other two scoring lines against the rest of their team. Michalek looks like he'll play, but he took a therapy day today and so is hopefully nursing a nagging injury that can limit his production. Otherwise, it's mainly pluggers, some youngsters, and Latendresse. I'd like to believe Pacioretty, DD, Bourque, Eller, Gallagher, and Galchenyuk can outplay those guys for us.

Ottawa may have been a low-scoring team this year, but that's playing without Karlsson and Spezza for nigh the whole season. Now that Karlsson is back, their offensive capability just got substantially stronger.

Even with Karlsson in the line-up, the Sens were held to 2.47 goals per game. In 9 of the 17 games he played, they were held ot two goals or less. He certainly provides offensive firepower and are a much better and more dangerous team with him in their line-up, but MacLean has them playing a structured style that doesn't push the offence as much as other teams. They're a team that is patient and will jump on mistakes, so it's important to play our system too and to limit the number of PP's we give them.

I actually like the build of the Senators as a team. Good size overall, youth, experience, toughness and a fair dose of skill and talent at all positions. Not to mention Paul Mclean as a very capable coach would be a mistake. With Spezza in the line-up healthy they could be a force... if not this year then in the near future. If you consider the success of their AHL team that won the Calder now supplying the NHL roster they look pretty good to me. They do have some quality players at various positions to start the series. Alfredsson, Michalek, Turris, Neil, Karlsson, Philips, Gonchar, Methot, Anderson will lead the way. But we shouldn't underestimate the potential of young players like Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Cowen and Lehner.

That said, the build of the Habs (though not completely where I would like to see it) is not too bad either. We have the better record in the standings, but on paper it is a pretty fair match-up IMO. Hard one to call... but I do believe the Habs will win the series.

Guest habs1952

Even though I hate the thought of waiting 'til Thurs. for the 1st game, these 4 days between games, gives MT enough practice time to work on the details, go over video, etc. It also works the same for the Sens., although McLean has only 1 PO Rd. to his credit and he lost that. MT has more PO experience, and has been the the finals once.

I think the coaches just need to do what made their teams successful in the regular season. Too many or big adjustments at this time of the year could really throw a monkey wrench into a teams playoff aspirations. Basically it's 'Keep it simple'. As for experience, I don't think it's that big a deal. it's just that coaches decisions are magnified at this time of the year.

Somehow, both Tim Peel and Chris Lee managed to be selected by the league as being officials to work the playoffs this year. I guess the NHL decided there were too many Canadian teams in this year and wanted to do something about it.

Somehow, both Tim Peel and Chris Lee managed to be selected by the league as being officials to work the playoffs this year. I guess the NHL decided there were too many Canadian teams in this year and wanted to do something about it.

The League has to maintain those lofty standards. :rolleyes:

Well, at least in our 1st round, they can't try to give the Canadian team a disadvantage :)

Wow, for a team that finished second in the conference, we're getting almost no pub at all. :rolleyes: Judging from the media focus on the Senators, you'd think we were the 8th place team that scraped into the playoffs on the last day of the season, and thus unworthy of scrutiny. Has any media outlet outside of local Montreal media even done a profile on Galchenyuk's rookie season? On Eller's emergence?

Meanwhile, Reimer is already being compared to Ed Belfour, and I've seen about 100 headlines on why the Leafs should have no trouble beating the Bruins. :rolleyes:

Also, why is the NHL the only league to employ marginal ex-players in their broadcast crew? Is there a reason for choosing the least-talented players, on average, to provide analytic insight? I don't see this anywhere else. You don't see a former longsnapper running his mouth on an NFL broadcast. The ex-players you see are almost always former stars, not former journeymen.

Also, why is the NHL the only league to employ marginal ex-players in their broadcast crew? Is there a reason for choosing the least-talented players, on average, to provide analytic insight? I don't see this anywhere else. You don't see a former longsnapper running his mouth on an NFL broadcast. The ex-players you see are almost always former stars, not former journeymen.

Too true!

Then again, TSN has Ray Ferraro :D

Meanwhile, Reimer is already being compared to Ed Belfour, and I've seen about 100 headlines on why the Leafs should have no trouble beating the Bruins. :rolleyes:

Former stars of the league don't need the work. Still rolling in dough.

Former stars of the league don't need the work. Still rolling in dough.

1. Shouldn't that be true of all major team sports? Particularly in the NFL, where contracts aren't guaranteed and the average player's career span is five years?

2. If you haven't been able to save your money playing in the NHL for 7-10 years, making at minimum $500k a year (sometimes 1-3 million, depending on the era), you will receive all of my scorn and none of my sympathy. :)

It's trendy to pick the Sens in this series, the hilarious disparity in depth be damned. I think it's just this idea that we had a lucky season, the mainstream hockey media aren't really ones to look under the surface, and the predefined narrative here is two great goalies but we're smurfs and the Sens are hard working two way players. That, and how "the stats don't tell the story" on Ottawa's season because the legendary Erik "Pronger, Lidstrom, and Orr rolled into one" Karlsson is gracing the series with his majestic return from injury to turn the Senators' offence into the 2009-10 Capitals.

We're not a lock by any means but the coverage has been pretty bad.

It's trendy to pick the Sens in this series, the hilarious disparity in depth be damned. I think it's just this idea that we had a lucky season, the mainstream hockey media aren't really ones to look under the surface, and the predefined narrative here is two great goalies but we're smurfs and the Sens are hard working two way players. That, and how "the stats don't tell the story" on Ottawa's season because the legendary Erik "Pronger, Lidstrom, and Orr rolled into one" Karlsson is gracing the series with his majestic return from injury to turn the Senators' offence into the 2009-10 Capitals.

We're not a lock by any means but the coverage has been pretty bad.

To be fair, most - actually all the media outlets that I've seen have picked us, although all have said it should be a "tough battle" with many saying it will go 7 games.

The reality is that as well know, any series can go either way but based on our season & our depth, we should still be considered heavy favourites in this one, not just the "likely" winners.

I think its funny how little attention subbans getting for his amazing season. Watching tsn pick their fantasy playoff team and watching subban slide to the last round was borderline blasphemy lol I saw a few of them take guys with like half his point total 2 or 3 rounds sooner..... Why are they analysts on canadas national sports network again? And I don't even think karlson was picked