The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Round 1: Canadiens vs. Senators

BigTed3

The best part of that last game was that the Habs were clearly the better team. That bodes well for the rest of the series, since if we continue playing that well we're bound to get a few more past Anderson.

The worst part of that game... was that the Habs were clearly the better team. I'll go back to what I said at the very beginning of this thread: my biggest fear for this series is to control the play but lose the first game or two. One game, well, hopefully we can come back. If the same thing happens in the first few periods tomorrow night, though, the guys are bound to start gripping their sticks too tight. That's when things can start to snowball.

The best part of that last game was that the Habs were clearly the better team. That bodes well for the rest of the series, since if we continue playing that well we're bound to get a few more past Anderson.

The worst part of that game... was that the Habs were clearly the better team. I'll go back to what I said at the very beginning of this thread: my biggest fear for this series is to control the play but lose the first game or two. One game, well, hopefully we can come back. If the same thing happens in the first few periods tomorrow night, though, the guys are bound to start gripping their sticks too tight. That's when things can start to snowball.

The worst part of the game was the Eller injury, but otherwise ...

The worst part is I suspect we are going to lose the goaltending battle big-time this series. Good play from our skaters may not be enough to make up for that gap.

The worst part is that the Canadiens were rewarded throughout the game with 5 on 3s 5 on 4s...and still lost. The calls tonight were horrible. Eller hit will not be suspended...watch the replay....he fell on his face. Secondly, cross checking Anderson, scoring a goal and taking it back , but not penalizing the player who cross checked the goalie is crazy! Especially, after a 5 on 3.

Secondly, the Sens are much deeper than you think and Subban definately out played Karlsson tonight! Which was impressive and he should win the Norris.

Subban was definitely impressive.

I have no idea how the Habs were the better team in this game? Explain> More shots? The Sens have out shot their opponents throughout this season! More penalty luck....Definately. More grit? No. Also, your 2nd line is not better than our 3rd.....Either way, the Canadiens had ample time to win the game, ample opportunities to win, ample gifts from the refs...yet, Ottawa the deeper team won.

Depends on the

Depends on the quality of shots! We have outshot any other team...But, quantity over quality does not = a win.

Not necessarily, but counltess players have said and to quote tom pyatt from Nos Canadiens "Just keep shooting on net, the puck finds weird ways of going in". You would think with 50 shots at least a few more than 2 would somehow find a way in (unless all but those 2 were aimed for the sens crest, and even then youd think at least 1 would give up a big rebound or give anderson some trouble). Anderson played a great game and bailed his team out. Im not faulitng price at all for the loss.

The worst part is that the Canadiens were rewarded throughout the game with 5 on 3s 5 on 4s...and still lost. The calls tonight were horrible. Eller hit will not be suspended...watch the replay....he fell on his face. Secondly, cross checking Anderson, scoring a goal and taking it back , but not penalizing the player who cross checked the goalie is crazy! Especially, after a 5 on 3.

Secondly, the Sens are much deeper than you think and Subban definately out played Karlsson tonight! Which was impressive and he should win the Norris.

I have no idea how the Habs were the better team in this game? Explain> More shots? The Sens have out shot their opponents throughout this season! More penalty luck....Definately. More grit? No. Also, your 2nd line is not better than our 3rd.....Either way, the Canadiens had ample time to win the game, ample opportunities to win, ample gifts from the refs...yet, Ottawa the deeper team won.

are you actually trying to say here that ottawa was the better team last night? wow

once eller got hurt i knew the game was over. (it was in fact a headshot, and gryba will likely get a game)

in fact without eller i am extremely discouraged about our playoff run. our biggest strength is being able to roll 3 scoring lines. this leaves a giant gaping hole in that strength.

desharnais.....im very happy we signed you to a tradeable contract. adjectives like "invisible" come to mind

pleks is stuck in his shutdown role, and eller was the ace in the hole. extremely frustrating.

for the record, diaz gave him a bad suicide pass and he did have the puck, but its on gryba to not take advantage of a player in a vulnerable position. if these players played with more respect for each other we could still have all the big hits without nearly so many injuries.

i believe price is a world class goalie but this has not been his year. we worked like dogs to get the lead we deserved, and ottawa gets it back right away on a routine shot with no traffic. messi flanders is a good bet to see some ice in this series

subban is clearly the best player on either team

The fact that you had to win off of soft goals on Price and a blindside, illegal hit to slow down our attack does not make you the better team. And it especially doesn't make you the deeper one. You had to rely on Anderson to stop 48 out of 50 shots and, although I agree we didn't have many quality scoring chances, a game that good is unlikely to happen again for Anderson.

And as for the hit, its questionable whether it was a headshot per se, but it should still be a suspension. For me it boils down to two questions.

Was it a headshot or blindside shot on a clearly defenseless player? Yes.

Was it the kind of hit that needs to be eliminated from the game? Yes

Those two yeses mean he should get a suspension.

Anyway, for tonight's game I am looking at Prust, who will probably fill that third line gap and it worked great earlier this year, and Price to step up. I honestly didn't see a huge problem with DD, except for that he had a few chances where he didn't even get a shot on goal.

Price lost that game for my Habs...thanks a lot.

I'd like to elaborate, (was on my way to bed, so made it short and sweet).....This is a game of winning...not popularity...Price did do well in the first three quarters of the season...not the best mind you...but passable....the last quarter of the season he was one of the worse goal tenders in the league...not the best time of the season to start playing like crap....the smart move was to start Budaj right off the bat in this series..if he played bad and let in a couple of soft goals...THEN you put in Price...if he played well...then you leave him in...now what are we stuck with ? We are half way behind the 8 ball (not all the way mind you) and trying out Budaj in the 2nd game is even more of a gamble now....but I say put him in for tonights game and see.....now I know what many of you reading this are saying (thinking)...Price has way more experience in the playoffs...and that is what the staff was saying before the game...that was the reasoning behind starting Price last night was....well...using that convoluted reasoning...we might as well get Ken Dryden out of retirement and put him in the nets... after all...he has more experience than half the goaltenders in the league combined and a better career save percentage...stupid reasoning...right ?....WELLLLLLL....almost as stupid as the reasoning they used for starting Price last night....bottom line...Price is as cold as the ice he is playing on right now...his confidence is shot to hell...give Budaj a shot...I love my Habs..been following them since the early sixties when I was a kid.....Play to win, use your head..not numbers on a piece of paper.

GO HABS GO !!!!!!!!

Thoughts after game 1 ....

- our depth is going to be challenged with Eller, Gio and Patches out

- We need to find a way to get pucks past Anderson ... yes, we had 50+ shots and were clearly the better team despite what any Sens fan might say ... the problem is a lot of those shots were not from prime scoring areas and were easier saves

- We have to be consistent for 60 mins ... we came out flat in the 3rd period and Ottawa got the lead back. With the puck posession we had in the first 2 periods I fully thought we'd come out guns blazing in the 3rd. Instead we came out like we were happy to let the game play out with a 2-1 lead and sat back.

- Yes, Ottawa won the first game ... but the sky is not falling quite yet. However, if we have another game where our shooting % is less than 10% this series is going to be over in a hurry

- Josh Gorges needs a slap in the head. He's been atrocious for weeks now, and one of first two goals in the 3rd period was clearly his fault. The 4th goal by Ottawa I felt should have been disallowed ... same way Prust one was. Prust got bumped into the goalie by the Ottawa player and had his stick lifted into Anderson. On the Latendresse goal, GL barrels a montreal player into Price ... how is this any different?

- DD ... oh what to say, I liked you ... I really did ... but man you're playing awful right now. If you're going to pivot one of the two offensive lines, you have to start making smart plays.

- We have to tighten up our passing, the "long bomb" passes aren't working ... short and quick and get the Ottawa D turning around to follow. Our biggest assett is our speed, use it.

- Unleash Galchenyuk ... 18-20 mins this game, top line, and let him be the race horse he is

- Gallagher and Prust need to start getting yappy out there, far more than they were in 1st game ... get under their skins and let the power plays start piling up.

- We have to start complaining about being thrown out of the faceoff circle! One of the few times I've ever agreed with CBC play by play guys is when they pointed out the Sens players yapped to the linesman and suddenly montreal is getting thrown out every other faceoff

I have more, but I've got to band-aids on my fingers so I don't bite my fingernails to the stubs tonight

WOW... now that makes the League and Shanahan look pro-active, severe, un-apologetic, strict, precise and determined to change the NHL culture (SARCASM).

While I'm pleasantly surprised Shanahan managed to muster up enough courage to actually give Gryba anything, the fact remains that this suspension falls short of what it should have been: the entire NHL playoffs. If you look at the comment Adam Burish of the SJ Sharks made, he said he himself would easily be willing to sit a game if it meant being able to deliver a game-changing hit like that. That comment just goes to show that players don't take Shanahan or the league seriously and that the suspensions being given out now are not going to change anything at all. Gryba is Ottawa's 6th defenceman, akin maybe in terms of a role to Francis Bouillon. If you were the Habs, would you be willing to have Bouillon miss two games if it meant wiping out Kyle Turris or Erik Karlsson? I would. Would you give up two games of Ryan White or Travis Moen or Colby Armstrong to take a run at Craig Anderson? The answer is obvious. The suspensions aren't curbing anyone's decision-making on the ice, certainly not that of the younger players trying to break into the league and certainly not the 3rd and 4th liners trying to stay in the line-up. They'll do what they have to do to give their team a chance to win, and as a result, the Sens will slide another body into the line-up without consequence while the Habs have to juggle their team just to stay afloat.

Two games only seems reasonable because Shanahan has set the bar for what's acceptable so incredibly low and because idiots like P.J. Stock and Paul MacLean continue to defend this type of hit like it should not only be condoned but encouraged. As I said, we've lost the likes of Campoli, Pacioretty, and Eller to potentially career-ending injuries within the span of about two years. And still the league gives its consent for this boorish type of behavior to go on, even noting that it is "extraordinarily comfortable" with its policies and decision-making. The entire NHL front office is a joke, and while two games is better than nothing, you can bet the Senators will shrug off this suspension and move on, while Lars Eller likely has months of trying to recover from a blind-sided headshot. If the NHL was serious about cracking down on dangerous play instead of focusing on jersey tugs, unsportsmanlike conduct calls, and who shot the puck over the glass (which based on last night's game, it still can't get right with four sets of eyes watching), then it would have told Gryba to come back next year, not next week.

While I'm pleasantly surprised Shanahan managed to muster up enough courage to actually give Gryba anything, the fact remains that this suspension falls short of what it should have been: the entire NHL playoffs. If you look at the comment Adam Burish of the SJ Sharks made, he said he himself would easily be willing to sit a game if it meant being able to deliver a game-changing hit like that. That comment just goes to show that players don't take Shanahan or the league seriously and that the suspensions being given out now are not going to change anything at all. Gryba is Ottawa's 6th defenceman, akin maybe in terms of a role to Francis Bouillon. If you were the Habs, would you be willing to have Bouillon miss two games if it meant wiping out Kyle Turris or Erik Karlsson? I would. Would you give up two games of Ryan White or Travis Moen or Colby Armstrong to take a run at Craig Anderson? The answer is obvious. The suspensions aren't curbing anyone's decision-making on the ice, certainly not that of the younger players trying to break into the league and certainly not the 3rd and 4th liners trying to stay in the line-up. They'll do what they have to do to give their team a chance to win, and as a result, the Sens will slide another body into the line-up without consequence while the Habs have to juggle their team just to stay afloat.

Two games only seems reasonable because Shanahan has set the bar for what's acceptable so incredibly low and because idiots like P.J. Stock and Paul MacLean continue to defend this type of hit like it should not only be condoned but encouraged. As I said, we've lost the likes of Campoli, Pacioretty, and Eller to potentially career-ending injuries within the span of about two years. And still the league gives its consent for this boorish type of behavior to go on, even noting that it is "extraordinarily comfortable" with its policies and decision-making. The entire NHL front office is a joke, and while two games is better than nothing, you can bet the Senators will shrug off this suspension and move on, while Lars Eller likely has months of trying to recover from a blind-sided headshot. If the NHL was serious about cracking down on dangerous play instead of focusing on jersey tugs, unsportsmanlike conduct calls, and who shot the puck over the glass (which based on last night's game, it still can't get right with four sets of eyes watching), then it would have told Gryba to come back next year, not next week.

I remember when Shanahan stepped in and there was all this talk of cutting down on head shots and what not. Boy that lasted really long <_< All i could think of was that line in "Won't get Fooled Again" - 'Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

It's sickening to think that if Gyrba does this again he will get another tap on the wrist.

All right, the win was great, and it was especially nice to see Carey bounce back with exactly the kind of dominant performance we needed, but I still have a lot of concerns about our top-six (or what's left of it). Plekanec was awful tonight, one of the sloppiest games I've seen out of him in a long time. Desharnais continues to do nothing. Ryder finally cashed, so hopefully it's the start of a hot streak for him -- until now, he looked pretty dreadful. With all the injuries, the veterans remaining have to step up. It is simply not realistic to expect Gallagher and Galchenyuk to carry the scoring load by themselves in a seven-game playoff series against a defensively stingy team like Ottawa. I know it's difficult, with Eller, Gionta, and Pacioretty all out, but this is why veteran players get paid big money -- to perform in difficult circumstances.

I think the team as a whole played pretty well tonight, including the top 6, given how depleted the line-up was. I didn't think Ryder was overly great, but Desharnais played one of his most decent games in a while: no bad turnovers, protected the puck well in the O-zone... yeah, not what you want to see in terms of production, but it's a start. Bourque has been excellent in this series, and hopefully, he's not concussed again. And I thought Plekanec did a very nice job on the PK and on the fore-check. Again, the production and finish around the net isn't there, but it's the playoffs, and I'm willing to take the mucker-type goals and the hard work over fancy playmaking. Gallagher, Galchenyuk, and Prust were excellent, as was the D corps tonight.

If Price really has his A-game back, and the rest of the team keeps playing like this (RE: smart, fast, and hungry) we will go deep.

And I'm very happy with how Bourque has played. That dude is playing some hungry playoff hockey so far. (not meaning to forget some more obvious guys, like Gallagher) When our guys actually play up to their potential, we're world-killers.

Questions in the series going forward:

1. Will the Habs find enough healthy bodies to field a line-up?

2. Is Craig Anderson going to stop flopping and diving?

3. Can the Habs' older players keep their legs going with the tight schedule?

4. Are the kids ready to be top 6 players long-term?

5. Will Tinordi be a top 4 defenceman for us by the time the playoffs are done?

Great team effort tonight to overcome adversity and play a really solid team game. To start with, while Anderson played well, Price was able to step up and be the goalie we know he can be.

Very good to see the depth guys step up. I was very pessimistic icing essentially 2 depth/energy lines, but they did exactly what you need them to do: punished Ottawa's star players, didn't hurt us, chewed up time, created chances, and got a goal.

The Gally line is now our de-facto second line, and they played well. The coordination is still a little off, but they are making things happen, beautiful second goal.

The defense looked a fair bit better: Markov really gave it his all, Subban is simply unbelievable, Tinordi is playing great for a rookie, Gorges and Bouillion were solid, even Diaz didn't look that bad.

There's still a lot of questions given we are a team that depended on offensive depth and in a single game lost 1/3 of that depth. Hopefully Patches and Gionta are short-term (unfortunately Eller coming back at all in the playoffs doesn't seem likely). But that's two games in a row where we've been the better team, if Price can come close to matching Anderson, I think we have a good chance.

And note to Therrien: why even bother dressing Dumont if you're only going to give him 3:23 of ice time?

Edit: apologies for forgetting Bourque, who has been very good.

Bourque has been a revelation

Great team effort tonight to overcome adversity and play a really solid team game. To start with, while Anderson played well, Price was able to step up and be the goalie we know he can be.

Very good to see the depth guys step up. I was very pessimistic icing essentially 2 depth/energy lines, but they did exactly what you need them to do: punished Ottawa's star players, didn't hurt us, chewed up time, created chances, and got a goal.

The Gally line is now our de-facto second line, and they played well. The coordination is still a little off, but they are making things happen, beautiful second goal.

The defense looked a fair bit better: Markov really gave it his all, Subban is simply unbelievable, Tinordi is playing great for a rookie, Gorges and Bouillion were solid, even Diaz didn't look that bad.

There's still a lot of questions given we are a team that depended on offensive depth and in a single game lost 1/3 of that depth. Hopefully Patches and Gionta are short-term (unfortunately Eller coming back at all in the playoffs doesn't seem likely). But that's two games in a row where we've been the better team, if Price can come close to matching Anderson, I think we have a good chance.

yea a shout to Markov who actually competed and played hard

All right, the win was great, and it was especially nice to see Carey bounce back with exactly the kind of dominant performance we needed, but I still have a lot of concerns about our top-six (or what's left of it). Plekanec was awful tonight, one of the sloppiest games I've seen out of him in a long time. Desharnais continues to do nothing. Ryder finally cashed, so hopefully it's the start of a hot streak for him -- until now, he looked pretty dreadful. With all the injuries, the veterans remaining have to step up. It is simply not realistic to expect Gallagher and Galchenyuk to carry the scoring load by themselves in a seven-game playoff series against a defensively stingy team like Ottawa. I know it's difficult, with Eller, Gionta, and Pacioretty all out, but this is why veteran players get paid big money -- to perform in difficult circumstances.

Plekanec definitely looked off in the offensive zone, but he's not the sort of guy I'm worried about letting it become a pattern. Ryder is Ryder, he's never going to be a dominant force, but get him the puck and he can hit the net.

DD is working hard and trying, he just gets knocked all over and has no ability to play anything but a perimeter game. At this point, I'm not counting on him for much offense, keep him with someone like Moen and we may see them combine for some garbage goals.

The Gally's can't carry the scoring load alone, but I think they have moved beyond third-liners and especially if given more ice-time I think we can count on them as a solid second line.

The most encouraging thing to me is we have been the better team both games. If we can find a way to bury the puck and Price can play solid, we should win the series.

But really in the end, sometimes it's best not to over-analyze these things. After last night's goaltending 'battle' and seeing that we lost basically our entire second line (in the sense of our second best center, and 2 of our top 4 wingers), I nearly didn't even watch the game. But not only did we win, in my opinion we were the better team out there. I have concerns about our offense as well, but I think they are capable of some magic.