The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Round 1: Canadiens vs. Senators

BigTed3

And note to Therrien: why even bother dressing Dumont if you're only going to give him 3:23 of ice time?

Edit: apologies for forgetting Bourque, who has been very good.

I complained a lot the time he did this with Tinordi, but to give him the benefit of the doubt this time ....

It is the playoffs and we lost 3 forwards in a single game. We exhausted Plan A (Halpern) and Plan B (Armstrong), Plan C is a small forward with little experience, no NHL playoff experience, hasn't been practicing with his linemates, etc: I can see why Therrien would be reluctant to play him. Also, this is easier to pull off with forwards than a dman and it's not like one of our players looked completely gassed or something (like with Tinordi when Markov had no energy left while he rode pine).

And even if he played 0 minutes, there is no downside to dressing him.

I'm definitely happy about the result last night. It was a great team effort and the kids are more than alright (Gally A&B and Tinordi).

That said, it appears to me that there are some injuries being kept quiet and as a result cautious play at times for some of the vets. The tempo in terms of the Habs speed game is down a notch for some. It actually probably worked to the Habs benefit having some new blood draw into action with Halpern and Armstrong playing strong games in their respective roles. Ryan White... deserving of his star status is keeping his cool and being the effective player he can be. And Carey Price showed us all he can be better than he has been at times lately (consistency is needed from now on if the Habs are to go futher).

It is still a long hall though and IMHO the missing parts of the puzzle need to be there as this series continues. I read somewhere that the Senators could have Spezza back in their line-up on Sunday. If true, there may be some rust but he does up the ante for the Sens. They are getting players back and we are losing them... this is not a optimum scenario and the odds just get tighter. There's hope though that when a team injects an important player it changes the team dynamic... I hope in a negative way (wishful thinking).

The Habs are not done yet and can still play a team game with success until some of our bodies heal and return.

GO HABS GO!!!

Eric Gryba did an interview today where he stated that he still believes his hit was a clean "shoulder-to-shoulder body check" and that he doesn't understand why he was suspended. He also states that the negative consequences occurred because of Eller's head hitting the ice, not because of the hit. He has also not attempted to contact Eller to apologize or ask how he is doing.

These comments continue to reinforce the notion that Gryba should have been suspended for the entire playoffs. He obviously does not comprehend the message being given to him by the referees and the league from the two-game penalty he got. Even watching the replay, it is clear he hits the head. It is also clear Eller is unconscious before he hits the ice. For an idiot like Gryba to come out maintaining his innocence is utterly ridiculous and shows a complete lack of understanding of the game or respect for his opponents. There is no doubt in my mind he's going to continue playing like the buffoon he is, and he's going to injure someone else again in the future because of the way he plays. This is exactly why the two-game suspension was not sufficient.

Eric Gryba did an interview today where he stated that he still believes his hit was a clean "shoulder-to-shoulder body check" and that he doesn't understand why he was suspended. He also states that the negative consequences occurred because of Eller's head hitting the ice, not because of the hit. He has also not attempted to contact Eller to apologize or ask how he is doing.

These comments continue to reinforce the notion that Gryba should have been suspended for the entire playoffs. He obviously does not comprehend the message being given to him by the referees and the league from the two-game penalty he got. Even watching the replay, it is clear he hits the head. It is also clear Eller is unconscious before he hits the ice. For an idiot like Gryba to come out maintaining his innocence is utterly ridiculous and shows a complete lack of understanding of the game or respect for his opponents. There is no doubt in my mind he's going to continue playing like the buffoon he is, and he's going to injure someone else again in the future because of the way he plays. This is exactly why the two-game suspension was not sufficient.

Hear, hear! I coudn't agree more... but isn't that just like the NHL culture where accountability is not what it should be.

Habs were clearly intimidated from the start and they didn't play their speed/possession game to counter the rough play and size of the Senators. Reminded me of that game vs. the Bruins... and still too many players not bringing it.

Guest Regis2

. Maclean did not embarrass the Habs with a time out with 17 seconds left.

The Habs did that all by themselves in the third period.

Habs were clearly intimidated from the start and they didn't play their speed/possession game to counter the rough play and size of the Senators. Reminded me of that game vs. the Bruins... and still too many players not bringing it.

This game actually reminded me of the game against Toronto a couple months ago where they were embarassed at home. Terrible effort. Not skating. Power play is like slow motion coming up the ice. Times like these is when we need gomez to gain entry in the zone.lol.

And for the love of god, why is Diaz on the penalty kill. He has offensive skill, (but hasen't been the same since he has come back), but there are better choices than him. Markov, Subban, Tinordi, Gorges.

Guest Regis2

Games like last night and the past month make me think this team overachieved all year and that next year we're going to see the real squad

Price played another 50/50 game...he has to step up...as for the rest of the game...the officials are completely to blame...it's alright to let calls go...after all it is the playoffs...but yesterday they were letting blatant calls go on both sides...and all that did was set things up for everybody on the ice to be so upset that things just blew...Montreal has to not play into Ottawas hand..concentrate on playing hockey and not the goon squad..and play more defensively in front of Price...as they clearly can not completely trust in his abilities.

Guest Regis2

Last night's game is probably a big confidence boost to the Sens

The beat the Habs handily on the scoreboard and in all the fights

And Price is still flopping around like a fish out of water

Here's the thing: the reffing was bad. There's no denying it. They let the game get completely out of control, and I guarantee that nobody is ever going to look back at this game for inclusion in any reffing textbooks. As fans watching from home I think that we've got every right to complain about it.

But the players? Habs, you need to get over it. Right now. I was really disappointed last night to see the number of times that the Habs stopped to complain to the referees instead of continuing to play hockey (and I'm not even just talking about later in the game once things got out of hand). You, the players, are the ones that need to score goals if you're going to win. You, the players, are the ones who need to bring the effort. The refs aren't going to win you the game. Even if you're right that there should have been a call, all the moral victories in the world aren't going to mean a thing when you're out golfing next week.

When I watch the game on Tuesday I don't want to see anyone with their hands in the air petitioning the referees while the play is still going on. Suck it up, move past it and win on the scoreboard where it counts.

. Maclean did not embarrass the Habs with a time out with 17 seconds left.

YES,it was his right as a coach to make that call.....but come on,really......IMO.....somewhat classless.....hard to think that he forgot the war of words going into this game and all........its all prust fault :lol: (* bug eyed walrus)

its over now,we move on,re-group & prepare for Tuesday night

We clearly got embarrassed tonight, but the series is still only 2-1. We need to win, in worst case scenario, 3 out of the next 4. Nothing left to do but make sure we play a good game the next one. It's not like we're out of it.

+1

I saw this quote on hockeyinsideout.com and I have to agree with it.

If the Canadiens think they can outmuscle Ottawa, this series is going to be over in five games.

This is not 1976, when Scotty Bowman had a lineup that could score goals AND pound the snot out of the Broad St. Bullies.

The 2013 Canadiens don’t have Pierre Bouchard, Rick Chartraw and Larry Robinson. They don’t have Chris Chelios to tune up Brian Propp. They don’t have Chris Nilan and John Kordic to throw down with the hated Nordiques.

They don’t even have Todd Ewen.

Guest Regis2

Outhit, outhustled,outfought,outgoaltended,outcoached ...did I miss anything???

lol.......the obvious , outscored

And as Kindred quoted , other Teams can take liberties with the Habs, they don't have the players to fight back with unless you think White, Prust , Noen , Boullion or Armstrong are goign to strike fear into opposing teams

The Habs are not a big team , they don't play big .

Embarrassed to be a Montreal fan this morning.

Regis is right. Maclean didn't embarrass us with the timeout... We embarrassed us with our terrible performance and cheap play to finish the game.

• Ryan White's two handed slash.
  • Rene Bourque's elbow on Conacher.
  • Brandon Prust's elbow on Conacher.
  • Brendan Gallagher punching Conacher in the face.
  • P.K. Subban continuing to punch Turris while down.
  • Josh Gorges aiming a slapshot in the direction of an Ottawa player.

This is all pretty embarrassing and shameful, IMO.