The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Round 1: Canadiens vs. Senators

BigTed3

I think at minimum Bourque gets suspended (which sucks since he's been one of our best players) with Prust and/or White being possible as well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see White receive some supplemental disciple for the two-handed slash.

Yep.....a team that completely lost its composure. Inexcusable.

Agreed. Sometimes you lose games. You don't need to mess the bed and get half the team kicked out of the game doing so.

on top of taxing your veteran players who have to play the last 10 minutes with little to no substitutions. Idiotic if you ask me.

I wouldn't be surprised to see White receive some supplemental disciple for the two-handed slash.

Agreed. Sometimes you lose games. You don't need to mess the bed and get half the team kicked out of the game doing so.

I think we can win the series, we just can't engage in this physical, "goonery," nonsense. It's not our game.

Agreed, but even minus the goon stuff, we have serious flaws in our overall game. The big issue is defense. Bluntly, we're awful at it. Game after game, we give up grade A scoring chances by the bucketful. Nobody knows how to pick up a trailing forward or 4th d-man activating on the rush. Nobody clears the zone quickly. We get out of our gaps any time a team establishes a cycle in our end. The penalty kill is brutal. And too many of our forwards are marginal offense-only guys who are worse than useless when the play is in our zone. I can forgive Pacioretty, because he's got the talent to be very good or elite scorer to compensate, but Desharnais and Ryder are just deadweight.

I know it's hard for us to accept, because we spent so many years playing defensive systems, but right now, defense is our big team need. Yes, we could use an impact player at forward, but next year there's every reason to think a healthy Eller and a developed Gallagher and Galchenyuk could help us in that regard. Conversely, there is no reason to be optimistic about our ability to play defense or our blueline in particular.

Agreed, but even minus the goon stuff, we have serious flaws in our overall game. The big issue is defense. Bluntly, we're awful at it. Game after game, we give up grade A scoring chances by the bucketful. Nobody knows how to pick up a trailing forward or 4th d-man activating on the rush. Nobody clears the zone quickly. We get out of our gaps any time a team establishes a cycle in our end. The penalty kill is brutal. And too many of our forwards are marginal offense-only guys who are worse than useless when the play is in our zone. I can forgive Pacioretty, because he's got the talent to be very good or elite scorer to compensate, but Desharnais and Ryder are just deadweight.

I know it's hard for us to accept, because we spent so many years playing defensive systems, but right now, defense is our big team need. Yes, we could use an impact player at forward, but next year there's every reason to think a healthy Eller and a developed Gallagher and Galchenyuk could help us in that regard. Conversely, there is no reason to be optimistic about our ability to play defense or our blueline in particular.

I agree. But I don't think our defensive weaknesses right now eliminate us from the series against Ottawa. I do fully agree that we need to upgrade our defense in the summer and look for a scoring forward to supplement the offensive scoring lines.

Our defense has been largely bad for several weeks now. I'm not sure how to explain the huge turn around in overall performance.

I agree. But I don't think our defensive weaknesses right now eliminate us from the series against Ottawa. I do fully agree that we need to upgrade our defense in the summer and look for a scoring forward to supplement the offensive scoring lines.

Our defense has been largely bad for several weeks now. I'm not sure how to explain the huge turn around in overall performance.

It doesn't eliminate us, but it will make it very, very difficult to win, because Ottawa is a tight-checking, defensive team that doesn't give up many goals and whose goalie is hot at the moment. To beat them, we need to lock down our defense, win the special teams battle, and get elite goaltending consistently from Price. Given how the year has gone, I have very little confidence that we can do any of those things.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but I honestly anticipate a series loss in five, maybe six games.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but I honestly anticipate a series loss in five, maybe six games.

With the weird and un-appealing schedule (no playoff game for Montreal on a saturday night?? Come on!) I had a bad gut feeling we'd be down 3-0 by sunday. Not the case but morale can't be to much higher then if that was the case after Ottawa discarded us easily last night.

What's really shocking to see though, is that Ottawa seemed like the tougher building to play in then Montreal.

While it was a very tough game to watch as a Habs fan , all is not lost. Game 4 is an absoloute must win , obviously. They can bounce back. It is very apparent that we will not win games by physical play. This team needs to play to it's strength which is speed , pucks to the net , driving hard to the net and turning the other cheek from the ***** after whistles. I expected the type of game we saw last night from the Leafs /Boston series , expected this series to be fast paced. The Senators are in the boys heads , what happened to Eller has got some of our guys thing they need to play it tougher than they are capable of. This series will turn around when the boys get back to what they are capable of , speed and offensive pressure , and discipline. Go hard between the whistles and show poise and restraint after the whistle blows.

Our defense is a team weakness no doubt, but we still played two great games where we significantly outchanced Ottawa. I have no reason to think we can't outplay them and win this series unless the tail spin from last game combined with injuries/suspensions carries over into game 4 and beyond.

I agree sometimes you have to lose to learn how to win, and I'm hoping that will apply to this series and not just the big picture.

A team that still has a lot to learn about playoff discipline. I don't expect a series win, but that's okay. Sometimes you have to lose in order to find out how to win.

The other thing is that because this is a close series (ie against a team that we're fairly well matched against) we can actually see our shortcomings & (hopefully) MB will work on fixing those in the offseason. Had we been in a series against a team we could easily beat - or one where we were completely outgunned, this may not have been the case.

I still think we can win this series. We need to get back to using our speed though, because if we let Ottawa dictate play like they did last game, I dont think we have a chance.

Guest Regis2

I still think we can win this series. We need to get back to using our speed though, because if we let Ottawa dictate play like they did last game, I dont think we have a chance.

The concern I have here is that Ottawa doesn't need a ton of opportunities or shots fired at Cary Price

He's not exactly a comforting figure in the nets where as Ottawa probably have a ton of confidence in anderson

I think at minimum Bourque gets suspended (which sucks since he's been one of our best players) with Prust and/or White being possible as well.

They dont cite sources, but I cant see CBS saying this if they didnt have confirmation:

Game 3 between the Ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadiens got out of hand fast. None of it will garner supplemental discipline from the NHL.

article http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22206508/no-supplemental-discipline-for-senatorscanadiens-rene-bourque

The concern I have here is that Ottawa doesn't need a ton of opportunities or shots fired at Cary Price

He's not exactly a comforting figure in the nets where as Ottawa probably have a ton of confidence in anderson

Its the biggest problem we have right now. You look at last night - Price was phenomenal on some saves - he had sequences where he looked amazing - then he lets in 2 floaters & we're down 4-1. I dont get it. I said earlier in the series, in game one he looked sharp right up until the tying and winnning goals. Its like he psyches himself out as the game rolls on. I dont get it.

Maybe we should try putting Carey in for the first 40 minutes & then Budaj for the 3rd. Lol. Seriously, no idea right now.

They dont cite sources, but I cant see CBS saying this if they didnt have confirmation:

Game 3 between the Ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadiens got out of hand fast. None of it will garner supplemental discipline from the NHL.

article http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22206508/no-supplemental-discipline-for-senatorscanadiens-rene-bourque

Its the biggest problem we have right now. You look at last night - Price was phenomenal on some saves - he had sequences where he looked amazing - then he lets in 2 floaters & we're down 4-1. I dont get it. I said earlier in the series, in game one he looked sharp right up until the tying and winnning goals. Its like he psyches himself out as the game rolls on. I dont get it.

Maybe we should try putting Carey in for the first 40 minutes & then Budaj for the 3rd. Lol. Seriously, no idea right now.

It is strange. He's been very good-excellent for 7 out of 9 periods. Unfortunately the two bad periods were 3rd periods where he lets in mediocre back breaking goals. I wouldn't say he cost of the game last night by any means but he certainly didn't help the cause.

On that CBS article... WOW. If true, we caught a major break and I'd be pissed if I were a Sens fan.

It is strange. He's been very good-excellent for 7 out of 9 periods. Unfortunately the two bad periods were 3rd periods where he lets in mediocre back breaking goals. I wouldn't say he cost of the game last night by any means but he certainly didn't help the cause.

Its tough because he's the only position we can say "cost" us a game. DD has been basically invisible for 3 games but we cant "blame" him for the losses because he's just one of 12 forwards. I would say that if price was playing like he *should* we'd be up 2-1 instead of down, but nothing that can be done of it now. Even with the softies, he's looked consistently better than he did towards the end of the season.

On that CBS article... WOW. If true, we caught a major break and I'd be pissed if I were a Sens fan.

I googled "Rene Bourque" in the past 24 hrs and every source I can find confirms it. Sounds like the leaugue said carte blanche, "no supplemental discipline from last night's game. period"

^ honestly doesn't surprise me. It's been mentioned before on here and on the broadcast but to restate it" The habs do not have the rivalry they do with the Bruins and the Leafs. Most of us (myself included) could care less about the Sens. But now? The League is banking on people to tune in to see how this game plays out after last nights penalty /fight fest. This is shaping up to be a series that will be remembered by both sides for a while , which again, puts people in the seats and has everyone watching the game.

Confirmed by Friedman's Twitter which is as rock solid as it gets.

Still hard to believe. We really got away with one there. Let's remember this next time we're ready to bust our the conspiracy theories about the league working against us.

Wow... gotta say I'm shaking my head a bit at this one. Bourque and White in particular had deliberate, malicious plays. There's no way that the league should be able to talk about player safety and headshots in one breath and then allow a blantant elbow to the head to go without so much as a hearing. I would certainly be upset if I was a Sens fan.

Having said that, maybe they figured that the Habs were punished enough at the game last night <_<. The good news is that we won't be missing anyone new for the next game. If they come out and play hockey like they did during the first two games (and if Price can play well on top of it) I still see no reason why the Habs shouldn't be able to take the series.

You've been given another chance, guys. Let's see you make good on it.

I really don't think we got away with anything. I feel both teams could have had players suspended thus no players were. I keep hearing about our goonery last night which I'll admit was bad, but I hear nothing about the first few seconds of the game when Pk was crosschecked in the head & Carey was deliberately tripped. The refs let the Sens get away with everything from the opening whistle & our players became extremely frustrated. I feel that had a little to do with how we played. I'm not making excuses though, some players really need to start showing up in this series.

That being said each act taken by itself could have definitely warranted suspensions against our players.

The other thing is that because this is a close series (ie against a team that we're fairly well matched against) we can actually see our shortcomings & (hopefully) MB will work on fixing those in the offseason. Had we been in a series against a team we could easily beat - or one where we were completely outgunned, this may not have been the case.

True enough, but some of our shortcomings IMO are due to problems that I am not sure Therrien and Bergevin are objective enough to acknowledge. For example, I firmly believe that Daigneault should be fired, but is Therrien going to dismiss one of his friends? Is he going to acknowledge the hard truth that Andrei Markov is no longer a top-four d-man? Is Bergevin open to the idea that re-signing David Desharnais to a multi-year extension in season was a mistake?

I'm not going to pass judgment on Bergevin, but his tenure so far has been a mixed bag and I honestly don't know what his response will be this summer. If he seriously thinks that our blueline is fine as is, I'll be very worried.

Going back to the regular season the team was having a difficult time scoring the first goal and putting the pressure on our opponent and the trend is continuing into early May. There have been starts with a-lot of shots, but not good threatening point blanks that throw off Anderson early, not enough scoring in the first period in games 1 and 2.

When we won in game 2, the guy's dragged a 0-0 game along as long as they could and scored first, but the bottom line is starts need to be better and even more aggressive.

There was one great grinding it out with physicality and speed shift by the White/Moen line in the early goings of the first last night that shifted the momentum briefly, but none of out offensive guns really responded until Ottawa had the 1-0 lead.

Going back to the regular season the team was having a difficult time scoring the first goal and putting the pressure on our opponent and the trend is continuing into early May. There have been starts with a-lot of shots, but not good threatening point blanks that throw off Anderson early, not enough scoring in the first period in games 1 and 2.

When we won in game 2, the guy's dragged a 0-0 game along as long as they could and scored first, but the bottom line is starts need to be better and even more aggressive.

There was one great grinding it out with physicality and speed shift by the White/Moen line in the early goings of the first last night that shifted the momentum briefly, but none of out offensive guns really responded until Ottawa had the 1-0 lead.

This is why the team is missing Eller a lot. His line was getting very good at not just shooting, but getting in the dirty areas and getting the opposition off their game.

Without him, we're left with a perimeter line (DD) a good 2 way line (Pleks) a grinder line (white) and a poor man's eller line (Gally)

If I were MT I would seriously consider some line juggling - to try to get at least one guy per line who can go to the dirty areas. DD's line has been completely ineffective most shifts & will continue to be unless they shake things up a little.