The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll of the Week

BigTed3

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which 3 goalies would you select for Team Canada in Sochi 2014?

• Carey Price
    • Roberto Luongo
    • Martin Brodeur
    • Corey Crawford
    • Marc-Andre Fleury
    • Cam Ward
    • Mike Smith

Discussion today about how P.K. Subban was snubbed for Team Canada's world championships by Steve Yzerman... well it's getting close to the time where Yzerman's going to have to select his Olympic roster. We'll start by asking you to tell us which three goalies you'd take to Sochi. This is not who you think will be chosen, this is who YOU would take if you were in charge... please make 3 choices!

Carey, Roberto & Martin for me. Martin will be an old man but I think he can help Canada one last time. Martin & Roberto always shine on the international level & Carey, when healthy, can be amazing.

As for PK everyone outside the organization always comment on his (so-called) attitude before looking at his play. He is still young & will develop into a superstar on the ice & will get his payday. Of course if he was playing in a city like Columbus he wouldn't get the media attention he gets now. It's because he's a Hab & he says what's on his mind both on & off the ice. I blame all the Canadian media for the negative press he receives, Especially the Hab hating CBC & TSN. The same happens to Carey when they say he's not even trying out there. It's because his positional play is so awesome & he takes up a lot of the net. When he has to play injured they jump on him saying he's not the goalie everyone thought he would be. I look forward to an amazing year from both of them next season.

Price, Lu, and Ward. Price is awesome, Lu is the next best, and than Ward. A lot of the talk is on Price, Lu, and Fleury but I don't want to put my country at risk by the overrated and inconsistent Fleury. Ward is pretty good, Canes stunk this year ever since he got injured.

Yeesh. The best Canadian goalies in the league this year were likely Crawford and Reimer, not exactly a heartwarming list. Crawford I didn't see much of and despite how great Reimer played I don't trust the technique and rebound control.

I think the VERY likely 3 are Luongo, Price and Fleury. I'm convinced that's not the best 3 but it is what it is.

I think you need to have at least one guy who's been there before if possible, and Luongo is the steadiest of the veterans. Even if he's not the starter, he's the first guy I'd add if I'm Steve Yzerman because he's a safety net if things go wrong with the guy you do choose. Crawford and Reimer haven't done enough in their NHL careers to prove to me they can play on that stage, and Brodeur is in my opinion, past his prime. The other two spots for me thus come down to Price, Fleury, and Ward, and I'd take Price and Ward because I think they're just flat out the better two guys under pressure. Price has had success in big games (maybe not at the NHL level but still) and he's dealt with the pressure cooker of being in Montreal, while Ward backstopped a Cup winner at a young age. Fleury is also a Cup winner, but he's fallen apart in big games more often than he's stepped up, both for the Pens and internationally.

Part of me thinks that we should send the best 3 goalies, but part of me wants to send Marty, even if its to ride pine to another medal, which he deserves to add to his list of accomplishments after all these years.

I would definitely send Price and Lou, but a toss-up between Ward and Marty for me. Ward has a ton of WC experience, especially on the wide ice, so he could actually help should Price or Luongo falter. If Marty for some reason gets hot right before Sochi, then I say we ride that wave. Same with Carey, or Luongo, or even Ward. I don't really like the prospect of Canadian goaltending going forward.

I chose Lou, Crawford and Smith,,,,,,because you should have a veteran,,,Crawford is fairly young and we might need him in 2018. Smith,,,,well he's not too bad. The thing is,,,any of those suggestions could be having an off year.

I chose Price, Lou and Martin

Price, because i think he's legitimately the best. He may have had an offseason but I think next year will be a bounce-back, big time - not to mention the fact that as others (Roy) have mentioned, Price's numbers looked worse this year because of the shortened season + slump. Over a full year his numbers would have been better, im sure.

I chose Lou because if he can ever calm down, he too has the ability to be very very good. Plus, he's historically shown to be very good in a relief role and lets face it, you are most likely to go with one guy throughout the tournament, so if those are the 3, the only way he gets in is relief of Carey.

I chose Martin because I believe his experience would be invaluable to a young tender like Price. I am not sure he'd see any minutes, but as the 3rd guy, he would be an excellent choice imho.