Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigTed3

2013-2014 Habs Rumors

791 posts in this topic

Take this how you will, Eklund is now 'reporting' that the Habs and Rangers are close to making a deal. No details.

This is a rumor thread, just putting the 'rumor' out there.

Any chance Vignault is the piece coming our way? :P

The only guy that I've heard NYR is trying to move is Del Zotto. Another L handed defenceman doesn't really make sense to me with the guys we have in Hamilton. Im sure its just Eklund wild guessing again.

Again, taking Eklund with a grain of salt, so this is not an assessment of how likely we are to deal with the Rangers, only to say who might be involved in a deal if we were to look at the Rangers' roster. The only news I've heard out of NY that makes sense is that the Rangers may be looking to deal some of their impending UFA's, namely Ryan Callahan and Dan Giradi.

- Girardi could be a good fit here. He's primarily a guy who takes care of his own zone first, but the key here is that he's right-handed. He's only 29 and he'd be an upgrade on Gorges on a second pairing, if only because he's a righty. But we'd need to see if he'd sign for a reasonable deal first. A potential deal could be a straight-up swap for Gorges or for Emelin, but if that were the case, I'd want to have the right to negotiate a new deal before we make the trade.

- Callahan is a decent player but also an impending UFA, and I'll repeat that for us to acquire another 2nd or 3rd line forward would really require us to deal one back the other way. Callahan isn't an upgrade on any of our younger guys (Pacman, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher) nor on Plekanec, and I don't see why NY would deal him for Bourque, Gionta, DD, etc... don't see a fit here.

- Brian Boyle is another interesting prospective acquisition. Big guy, fits much better into the role of third-line center than Eller or Desharnais right now. Again, we'd need to swap out one of our existing top 9 forwards to make that deal. If Sather had any interest in Desharnais, this would be an ideal trade for us... gives NY a higher-scoring, more offensively-creative player and gives us a guy with less talent but who fits our needs better. Not that we need to be giving NY any more young D men as throw-ins, but would a deal like Ellis-Desharnais for Boyle or Pateryn-Desharnais for Boyle be of any interest to the Rangers? I don't know. It's something that interests me though.

- Brian Boyle is another interesting prospective acquisition. Big guy, fits much better into the role of third-line center than Eller or Desharnais right now. Again, we'd need to swap out one of our existing top 9 forwards to make that deal. If Sather had any interest in Desharnais, this would be an ideal trade for us... gives NY a higher-scoring, more offensively-creative player and gives us a guy with less talent but who fits our needs better. Not that we need to be giving NY any more young D men as throw-ins, but would a deal like Ellis-Desharnais for Boyle or Pateryn-Desharnais for Boyle be of any interest to the Rangers? I don't know. It's something that interests me though.

The only thing about the D-throwins is that I would be really hesistant to send over any of our "big 3" defensive prospects, because I feel they are close enough (especially Pateryn IMO) that they are basically roster players. I think one intriguing option is Mac Bennett, still here in Ann Arbor coming along very well in his senior season, who might be a good fit for them because they seem to be an organization with several college players, like Hagelin, Kreider, and co. At least I think they have more college players. Pure speculation on my part, but this started with Eklund, so I'm deeming it appropriate. :P

For D throw ins, anybody other than Tinordi, Beaulieu, Nygren, Pateryn, and Thrower is fine by me. Thrower's having a great season in Vancouver with the Giants.

Yes, you have to be careful with throw-ins, but on the other hand, if that's what it takes to unload DD's contract AND bring in a potentially useful fit for us, it could be worth it. We already have Subban, Gorges, and Emelin penciled in here long-term, as well as the option of bringing back Markov and/or Diaz. If you add Tinordi and Beaulieu to that mix in the next season or two, there's not much of an opportunity to be looking at guys like Nygren, Ellis, or Pateryn. I'm just afraid we end up with another player like Nash or St-Denis, who has the potential to be a #5 or #6 guy in the NHL but whose career we waste because we never have the opportunity to work him into the line-up. If the plan is to develop Pateryn, the time has really come to waive Bouillon and bring Pateryn up now.

If the plan is to develop Pateryn, the time has really come to waive Bouillon and bring Pateryn up now.

This! I cannot for the life of me understand why Pateryn hasn't been given a chance!!

Rangers have Zuccarello, who is listed at 5'7" I believe, also a center. I would say slim to none that they take Desharnais.

Rangers have little I'm interested in giving up assets for, aside from McDonaugh. All of the other players I'd consider are pending UFA, or signed to contracts we would likely regret at some point down the road. I don't see anything really appealing long-term.

Rangers do have one guy that would be perfect for the Habs and I would give up a lot to land him (such as Leblanc, a D prospect and/or roster player and a draft pick)

Chris Kreider:

- 6ft 3, 226 lbs., 22 year old Left Winger, fast, stroing, excellent shot

- Has 18 Points (8 goals) this year and is playing 17 minutes per game

- Was drafted 19th overall (one pick after Louis Leblanc)

Rangers do have one guy that would be perfect for the Habs and I would give up a lot to land him (such as Leblanc, a D prospect and/or roster player and a draft pick)

Chris Kreider:

- 6ft 3, 226 lbs., 22 year old Left Winger, fast, stroing, excellent shot

- Has 18 Points (8 goals) this year and is playing 17 minutes per game

- Was drafted 19th overall (one pick after Louis Leblanc)

It could be argued, based on how they've been handled this year, that neither Leblanc, nor Pateryn are in the team's long-term future plans (which I personally dont necessarily agree with) - but those could be your 2 prospects.. but the roster player is what scares me. I cant see NY wanting DD or Bourque or some of the players (that us fans) seem to think are expendable.

The Eklund rumour is Diaz + Prospect for Del Zotto....

again....grain of salt.....very small grain of salt

Kreider would cost a lot for the reasons you mentioned wanting him. With the way Leblanc's been handled and his advanced age (relative to an AHL player who hasn't busted out at that level) his value would likely be lowered. Teams aren't usually in a hurry to move controllable, young roster players who are producing for prospects (who happen to be around the same age). It's not that we can't find fair value offers, it's just pretty rare to even see those kinds of deals in the first place.

yes I agree with you that we would need to give alot more than Leblanc

I was thinking something like Leblanc, Diaz and Beaulieu (or a first round pick)

Basically we deal from our strength (Defence) to get a young, top 6 forward with size

The fourth period says we are shopping Bourque and Gionta to make cap space to acquire a scooting winger. It mentions Evander Kane as a possibility. Eklund has also said we are after Kane.

And if we are looking to move a forward prospect, how about one that's on the small side and probably won't make the NHL as a hab? Thomas, Andrighetto, and Reway are all playing very well but that should only increase their value.

Don't know why we would consider Diaz + a prospect for Del Zotto. Del Zotto is no better than Diaz and he's yet another lefty, which we don't need. This trade makes no sense, likely just another bogus rumor from Eklund.

It makes more sense for us to be shopping Bourque and/or Gionta, but we would need to find a taker there. I think Gio could definitely have value at the trade deadline, being a Cup-winning veteran who turns UFA at the end of the year.

Don't know why we would consider Diaz + a prospect for Del Zotto. Del Zotto is no better than Diaz and he's yet another lefty, which we don't need. This trade makes no sense, likely just another bogus rumor from Eklund.

It makes more sense for us to be shopping Bourque and/or Gionta, but we would need to find a taker there. I think Gio could definitely have value at the trade deadline, being a Cup-winning veteran who turns UFA at the end of the year.

It would make sense in the context of us thinking Del Zotto's value is low and we see areas he can improve and Diaz is a UFA but in general, it's Eklund so it's almost certainly nonsense.

yes I agree with you that we would need to give alot more than Leblanc

I was thinking something like Leblanc, Diaz and Beaulieu (or a first round pick)

Basically we deal from our strength (Defence) to get a young, top 6 forward with size

Ugg. I get nightmares at the idea of NYR's top pairing of McDonaugh-Bealieau if they both pan out like they may very well do. I think we would regret that trade.

The fourth period says we are shopping Bourque and Gionta to make cap space to acquire a scooting winger.

Bourque I buy, Gio, not so much. MT uses him all the time - in all situations, I cant see us moving him to clear cap space.

It would make sense in the context of us thinking Del Zotto's value is low and we see areas he can improve and Diaz is a UFA but in general, it's Eklund so it's almost certainly nonsense.

I agree. Del Zotto I think has more upside than Diaz. If nothing else he's younger and plays a slightly more physical game (although I think they're similar in size).

But I especially agree with the last sentence. :)

But the deal proposed here was not Del Zotto for Diaz, it was that deal with our throwing in another prospect as well. I don't see Del Zotto's upside as being high enough to warrant trading a right-handed D man for a lefty AND throwing in a prospect. It just makes zero sense. Our LH D men being asked to play the right side are already struggling, there's no reason to have to ask another guy to do that too.

But the deal proposed here was not Del Zotto for Diaz, it was that deal with our throwing in another prospect as well. I don't see Del Zotto's upside as being high enough to warrant trading a right-handed D man for a lefty AND throwing in a prospect. It just makes zero sense. Our LH D men being asked to play the right side are already struggling, there's no reason to have to ask another guy to do that too.

I'm not saying I do either but the point is it would depend on how they feel about his potential, if they feel he can be an impact player with a few adjustments than yeah, sure a prospect and UFA makes sense. Management has done a lot of things I question so nothing surprises me anymore

We're shopping Pacioretty. Don't ask me how I know. It's been over a month now.

We're shopping Pacioretty. Don't ask me how I know. It's been over a month now.

Unless we get Corey Perry in return, I think that's a stupid move.

Keep talking about getting bigger, the one true top 6 player we have with size and a physical game, we're shopping.

Puzzling.

Maybe if we put an accent over the "e" in Patches name, MB will want to hold onto him.

Unless we get Corey Perry in return, I think that's a stupid move.

Keep talking about getting bigger, the one true top 6 player we have with size and a physical game, we're shopping.

Puzzling.

Maybe if we put an accent over the "e" in Patches name, MB will want to hold onto him.

Indeed. I cant imagine a situation that would make sense to move Patches - not only is he big, strong and still not a his peak, but he's dirt cheap.

Maybe he's the key in a deal to land Malkin :P

Indeed. I cant imagine a situation that would make sense to move Patches - not only is he big, strong and still not a his peak, but he's dirt cheap.

Maybe he's the key in a deal to land Malkin :P

He and Therrien don't get along. That's the last I'm saying on this so that I don't get people mad at me. There's a whole back story to this. Hopefully it gets worked out and Patches stays.

He and Therrien don't get along. That's the last I'm saying on this so that I don't get people mad at me. There's a whole back story to this. Hopefully it gets worked out and Patches stays.

Damn. Has this team learned nothing about disputes between star core players & coaches? I like what Therrien has done but I will never pick the coach over the on-ice talent if its a my way or the highway sort of thing. Lets hope MB feels the same way, or better still as you've said, lets hope the whole thing is worked out.

Damn. Has this team learned nothing about disputes between star core players & coaches? I like what Therrien has done but I will never pick the coach over the on-ice talent if its a my way or the highway sort of thing. Lets hope MB feels the same way, or better still as you've said, lets hope the whole thing is worked out.

I prefer retread coaches to our core players personally.