• This topic is locked This topic is locked
790 replies to this topic

#241 Shutoutfan

Shutoutfan

Rookie / Recrue

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

Well if you say upfront that all these guys are not available you will never get a deal. Would I prefer Plekanec to be dealt instead of Eller for our longterm future? Of course I would. But is it probable? I don't know. 

Why would they trade Eberle for another forward anyways? 

Unless something really great was offered

I agree with that but I think that Eberle would be an upgrade over both at the moment. 

At the end I dont think we have anything to offer for Eberly anyways. We are just not deep enough on defense. But I am always open to be proved wrong.

#242 FirstStar

FirstStar

Moderators/Modérateurs

• Moderators/Modérateurs
  • 31,809 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

Well if you say upfront that all these guys are not available you will never get a deal. Would I prefer Plekanec to be dealt instead of Eller for our longterm future? Of course I would. But is it probable? I don't know. 

Why would they trade Eberle for another forward anyways? 

I agree with that but I think that Eberle would be an upgrade over both at the moment. 

At the end I dont think we have anything to offer for Eberly anyways. We are just not deep enough on defense. But I am always open to be proved wrong.

As I said in a previous post, you always risk killing chemistry when eliminating one player from the equation and adding in another from another team, let's not forgot different conference.

Atm, maybe Eberle is better than GallyB and Eller, but i feel the hole eller would leave would be significant. Who do we have left capable of playing centre?

Briere-Out with concussion and has impressed so far

GallyA-Clearly isn't ready for full time center duties (not the time to deal our 2nd best center in Eller)

DD-no need to comment on him, we all know the issue here

White-4th line grinder, be suicide to have him take over Eller's spot

Pleks-he's our other top6 centre, imo we need him as much if not more than Eller, he can't play both lines.

As much as I like Eberle (I really like the kid), if they're looking for a centre, I think the loss of our 2nd best centre would leave us with a much greater negative impact, than Eberle's positive addition. We'd have a good top 6 winger, but no competent center to play with him.

Why would they want another forward?

They don't really need wingers with the addition of Perron, but they're kind of week down the middle.

They may want to have a back up RNH, the kids amazing, but his small stature often leaves him injured. Picking up Eller would give them a back up plan for when RNH is on the IR. He'd kind of be like Sid's Malkin. If Eller were to join the Oilers, he could very well end up their #1 centre and slide down to 2nd line duties when RNH gains a little more experience.

Even though it would give them a solid 2nd line center or potential 1st line center, I'd expect they wouldn't make that deal an even swap. I'd figure they'd want a draft pick as well, which if we'd be losing Eller, Don't know if I'd want to give up a pick.

I like to dream about acquiring Eberle, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards. With what I'm assuming we'd have to give up, I don't think the deal would make us better, it would probably leave us in a worse position.

naslund1.png

Let's raise #25 to the rafters and break the Bell Centre curse.

Team FirstStar:
1)Stamkos Pacioretty 2)Niemi 3)Pietrangelo 4)Moulson 5)Eberle 6)Sharp

7)Shattenkirk 8)B.Richards

#243 powerplay2009

powerplay2009

MVP / Joueur par excellence

• Members
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

I don't really believe in a strict no-trade list just because taking options immediately off the table by labeling someone "untouchable". There are, however, players that would take a heck of a deal for me to give up, and for me they would be:

Both Gallys

Eller

Pacioretty

Eller

Subban

Tinordi

Carey

off the top of my head.

The Powerplay Catfish

Proud bottom-feeders since 2013

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins(IR replacement) - Jeff Skinner(IR replacement) - Alex Galchenyuk - Lars Eller(IR replacement) - Juri Hudler (IR replacement)

Pernell-Karl Subban - Jack Johnson(IR replacement)

Roberto Luongo

#244 THEBIGGESTHABSFAN123

THEBIGGESTHABSFAN123

Hockey Guru / Grand manitou

• Members
  • 12,834 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

You put Eller twice.

Posted Image

#245 smirob

smirob

Draft pick / Choix au repêchage

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

Does anybody know where this Pacioretty for Evander Kane rumour originated from? I don't believe it but I was curious who the source was...

#246 THEBIGGESTHABSFAN123

THEBIGGESTHABSFAN123

• Members
  • 12,834 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

Does anybody know where this Pacioretty for Evander Kane rumour originated from? I don't believe it but I was curious who the source was...

I heard it was some dude on the radio.

Nonsense IMO.

Posted Image

#247 FirstStar

FirstStar

Moderators/Modérateurs

• Moderators/Modérateurs
  • 31,809 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

I don't really believe in a strict no-trade list just because taking options immediately off the table by labeling someone "untouchable". There are, however, players that would take a heck of a deal for me to give up, and for me they would be:

Both Gallys

Eller

Pacioretty

Eller

Subban

Tinordi

Carey

off the top of my head.

I think our only true "untouchables" right now would be Price, Subban and Galchenyuk.

If I were a GM, it would take a lot for me to let go of Gallagher, Eller, Pleks, Patches and Prust. I'd move them for the right price.

Basically any negotiation starting with Price, Subban or Galchenyuk stops immediately. Bring up Eller, Patches, Gallagher, etc... I'll at least listen to their offer, but as aforementioned, would take a lot for me to part with them, I mean a lot.

naslund1.png

Let's raise #25 to the rafters and break the Bell Centre curse.

Team FirstStar:
1)Stamkos Pacioretty 2)Niemi 3)Pietrangelo 4)Moulson 5)Eberle 6)Sharp

7)Shattenkirk 8)B.Richards

#248 CareyPriceFan31

CareyPriceFan31

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

I would LOVE the Habs to make a play for Joe Thornton this offseason.

I think he still has 3 or 4 good years left in him and he will be the big centreman we have been looking for.

Paul Stastny is another interesting option

Unless of course these guys have signed extensions and I dont know about it

#249 smirob

smirob

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

I really don't think that we should be trying to land a centreman. With Plek/Eller/Galchenyuk/Briere/Leblanc/Desharnais we have plenty of centremen in the lineup. Adding a 34 year old centreman with a 7 million cap hit doesn't seem like a good fit.

A premium, scoring winger should be the priority for MB.

#250 BigTed3

BigTed3

Moderator/Modérateur

• Moderators/Modérateurs
  • 16,673 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:37 AM

Versteeg traded to the Hawks, so we can forget any rumors of DD for Versteeg any more.

#251 Habs_Hockey_Nutz

Habs_Hockey_Nutz

• Captain/Capitaine
  • 15,991 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

November 24, 2013 | 5:45pm ET

Habs GM looking to make splash

Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin is looking to make a "big splash" and wants to acquire a "top-tier" player, multiple sources told TFP this weekend. Bergevin, who became the 17th GM in Canadiens' franchise history on May 2, 2012, has been looking for a first-line star since joining the team. With Carey Price and backup Peter Budaj between the pipes, and a solid defensive corps, the Habs have lacked a true offensive star up front for years. Even with Alex Galchenyuk, Lars Eller and Brendan Gallagher performing well as the club's top line, and Max Pacioretty coming on of late, tallying five goals in his last two games, the Canadiens rank 16th in the NHL in goals-per-game, averaging 2.62. The Habs have roughly $1.74 million in salary cap space and can add a player making just over $3 million, per CapGeek.com, but Bergevin has been quietly dangling some players in an attempt to free up more space, one league source said.

According to the Ottawa Sun, the Canadiens have been trying to move winger Rene Bourque and his $3.3 million cap hit. Bourque, who has a limited no-trade clause, has two-years left on his contract beyond this season. The Sun claims the Chicago Blackhawks inquired about Bourque before acquiring Kris Versteeg from the Florida Panthers. It's unclear who Bergevin has been targeting, as he is not an individual overly willing to talk about potential moves. The Habs have been constantly linked to Winnipeg Jets left wing Evander Kane, and while there were some discussions in the past, it's unknown if those talks were revisited lately. - TheFourthPeriod.com 

I recently brought up the idea that Bourque could be a trade candidate. Seems the idea is not that far fetched afterall. I'm not sure that Evander Kane is the answer though.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

The Habs have also been engaged in contract discussions with defensemen P.K. Subban, Andrei Markov and Raphael Diaz. Subban and Diaz can become restricted free agents next summer, while Markov is slated to become an unrestricted free agent. Bergevin wants all three signed to new contracts, with Subban's being the most costly -- likely seven or eight years, worth at least $7.5 million per season -- though it would not come as a surprise if Diaz is moved in the team's attempt to upgrade it's offensive game up front. - TheFourthPeriod.com

MN_2014/2015... The Countdown!

#252 Habs_Hockey_Nutz

Habs_Hockey_Nutz

• Captain/Capitaine
  • 15,991 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

Two players on the last year of their contracts that could be reclammation projects perhaps and would most likely be available... Hemsky and Heatley. Both bring scoring ability and other skillsets that could possibly work with the Habs IMO. You have to like Heatley's size although he is not known as a power-forward type and at 32 he is still young enough should the Habs be able to re-sign him. Hemsky is a skilled very smooth skater with decent size that can play either wing... but his injury history could make a deal a risk.

If Heatley would really be interested to play for the Habs (not a certainty by any means) on a veteran top line (say with Plekanec and Gionta for now) he could represent an offensive force if rejuvenated by the opportunity. His defensive game has never been his forte unfortunately, but with both Plekanec and Gionta more than capable in that aspect of the game it could workout. He could also represent a very good power-play asset. For me, it depends on his emotional stability which hopefully would not be a problem in the right situation.

Hemsky provides speed and skill and if he could remain healthy, at age 30 still could be a valuable addition. He also may be more willing to be a Hab than Heatley perhaps.

MN_2014/2015... The Countdown!

#253 Habsology2

Habsology2

Veteran / Vétéran

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

Hemsky is a guy I have always wanted to see playing here. I think he would be a great addition. He just needs a change of scenery from the pit that is Edmonton right now.

#254 jedimaas

jedimaas

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,598 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

November 24, 2013 | 5:45pm ET

Habs GM looking to make splash

Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin is looking to make a "big splash" and wants to acquire a "top-tier" player, multiple sources told TFP this weekend. Bergevin, who became the 17th GM in Canadiens' franchise history on May 2, 2012, has been looking for a first-line star since joining the team. With Carey Price and backup Peter Budaj between the pipes, and a solid defensive corps, the Habs have lacked a true offensive star up front for years. Even with Alex Galchenyuk, Lars Eller and Brendan Gallagher performing well as the club's top line, and Max Pacioretty coming on of late, tallying five goals in his last two games, the Canadiens rank 16th in the NHL in goals-per-game, averaging 2.62. The Habs have roughly $1.74 million in salary cap space and can add a player making just over $3 million, per CapGeek.com, but Bergevin has been quietly dangling some players in an attempt to free up more space, one league source said.

According to the Ottawa Sun, the Canadiens have been trying to move winger Rene Bourque and his $3.3 million cap hit. Bourque, who has a limited no-trade clause, has two-years left on his contract beyond this season. The Sun claims the Chicago Blackhawks inquired about Bourque before acquiring Kris Versteeg from the Florida Panthers. It's unclear who Bergevin has been targeting, as he is not an individual overly willing to talk about potential moves. The Habs have been constantly linked to Winnipeg Jets left wing Evander Kane, and while there were some discussions in the past, it's unknown if those talks were revisited lately. - TheFourthPeriod.com 

I recently brought up the idea that Bourque could be a trade candidate. Seems the idea is not that far fetched afterall. I'm not sure that Evander Kane is the answer though.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

The Habs have also been engaged in contract discussions with defensemen P.K. Subban, Andrei Markov and Raphael Diaz. Subban and Diaz can become restricted free agents next summer, while Markov is slated to become an unrestricted free agent. Bergevin wants all three signed to new contracts, with Subban's being the most costly -- likely seven or eight years, worth at least $7.5 million per season -- though it would not come as a surprise if Diaz is moved in the team's attempt to upgrade it's offensive game up front. - TheFourthPeriod.com

Ugg.  These sorts of stories make me worried.

GM has publicly expressed he wants to make a splash...so we go out & acquire a top-tier player but who the heck are we giving up?  Bourque wont bring anywhere near that kind of return. If we are truly after a top tier talent look for a couple of the following to be moved:   Plekanec, Markov, Diaz, Eller, Gallagher, Tinordi, Beaulieu etc.    I cant see him (MB) moving Price, Subban, Galchenyuk or Paccioretty but pretty much any one else I could see leaving if the deal is right and I am not sure i love that idea.  No team is giving up an elite player for a combination of Bourque, DD and Murray or something.

My question for MB would be: whats the rush?  We already have elite talent in Price & Subban. We have potentially (nearly a lock) elite talent in Galchenyuk.  This is not a contending team just yet & I dont believe adding a high profile player - at least not one we need to move valuable players for to acquire - is going to make us an instant favourite.  

#255 Habsology2

Habsology2

Veteran / Vétéran

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

It looks like Erat wants out of WAS. I think he would look good alongside Pleks. I wonder what it would take to acquire him.

#256 powerplay2009

powerplay2009

MVP / Joueur par excellence

• Members
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

It looks like Erat wants out of WAS. I think he would look good alongside Pleks. I wonder what it would take to acquire him.

Sending at least 4M and no more than 5M of salary the other way. That's already incredibly restrictive.

It is intriguing though.

The Powerplay Catfish

Proud bottom-feeders since 2013

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins(IR replacement) - Jeff Skinner(IR replacement) - Alex Galchenyuk - Lars Eller(IR replacement) - Juri Hudler (IR replacement)

Pernell-Karl Subban - Jack Johnson(IR replacement)

Roberto Luongo

#257 Habsology2

Habsology2

Veteran / Vétéran

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

Sending at least 4M and no more than 5M of salary the other way. That's already incredibly restrictive.

It is intriguing though.

If it's Bourque or DD going the other way, it could work out.

#258 jedimaas

jedimaas

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,598 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

It is intriguing though.

DD & Murray? :P

#259 Habsology2

Habsology2

Veteran / Vétéran

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

This is MB's opportunity to make a "big splash".

#260 jedimaas

jedimaas

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,598 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

Certainly a talented player.  He is pretty weak without the puck though, not sure id play him on Pleks' line which takes on so many tough defensive jobs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users