• This topic is locked This topic is locked
790 replies to this topic

#521 smirob

smirob

Draft pick / Choix au repêchage

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

I would take the Bourque to Cammy swap, wouldn't go much above that though.

#522 Kordic71

Kordic71

Rookie / Recrue

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't mind seeing Cammy back here. He was/is a bona fide sniper (something we don't have at the moment). It wasn't like he quit on our team. He was merely stating the lack of training that was going on. Sure, he should have said it behind closed doors. But to me, that just showed his passion for the game. I think with this team he is a much better fit than he was before - and he was putting up great numbers back then.

Actually if you watch some of his last games here, he actually did quit on the team. He would step on the ice, float along the board, turn and go back on the bench. Even commentators were talking about how it was obvious he had given up. The forum was filled with people complaining about him.

He has an expiring contract and that would be ok for us, but i'm truly afraid MB would just pull a Ryder again and screw it up this summer with another bad signing,lol.

#523 Habsology2

Habsology2

Veteran / Vétéran

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

Actually if you watch some of his last games here, he actually did quit on the team. He would step on the ice, float along the board, turn and go back on the bench. Even commentators were talking about how it was obvious he had given up. The forum was filled with people complaining about him.

He has an expiring contract and that would be ok for us, but i'm truly afraid MB would just pull a Ryder again and screw it up this summer with another bad signing,lol.

Oh, I have no doubt that, given MB's track record, he's going to make more head-scratcher moves. And I am pretty certain that you won't even have to wait till the summer...I said it before, and I'll say it again - he doesn't know how to value talent with need. Simply put, he's inept.

#524 jedimaas

jedimaas

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,694 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

Bourque back to Calgary for Cam would work for me.

No doubt Id do that.  Dont think Calgary would, although Bourque had some good seasons in CowTown.

Ive heard Trevor Daley (Dallas) name mentioned a bit over the last few days. I am not sure what the stars would want for him but this is a guy who can play big minutes. He's 30 so not too old and very mobile.   He's not huge (about Gorges size) although quite durable.  A top pairing of PK -Daily would be nice...and although it doesnt solve our lack of right Dmen, you could do something like:

Subban - Daley

Gorges - Markov

Emelin - Diaz etc

Acquiring him would make our d-corps a lot better just by moving players down to minutes & assignments they can handle better.  I actually dont think the cost would be too high to get him either. 

#525 Habsology2

Habsology2

Veteran / Vétéran

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

No doubt Id do that.  Dont think Calgary would, although Bourque had some good seasons in CowTown.

Ive heard Trevor Daley (Dallas) name mentioned a bit over the last few days. I am not sure what the stars would want for him but this is a guy who can play big minutes. He's 30 so not too old and very mobile.   He's not huge (about Gorges size) although quite durable.  A top pairing of PK -Daily would be nice...and although it doesnt solve our lack of right Dmen, you could do something like:

Subban - Daley

Gorges - Markov

Emelin - Diaz etc

Acquiring him would make our d-corps a lot better just by moving players down to minutes & assignments they can handle better.  I actually dont think the cost would be too high to get him either. 

I was on here stating that we should try to acquire him back in the Gainey era. I remember him being very mobile and good with the puck. I haven't kept up on him, but if his level of play hasn't dropped off significantly I would be very interested in acquiring him. I believe he comes at a reasonable price tag as well.

#526 powerplay2009

powerplay2009

Hockey Guru / Grand manitou

• Members
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

Subban - Daley

Gorges - Markov

Emelin - Diaz etc

I haven't really ever heard of him (probably just because he's in a small market a la Peitrangelo, who came out of nowhere this year unless you've watched St. Louis). If he's as good as I hear though, perhpas a first rounder and a prospect would be worth it? I hear the draft isn't too deep, and given that he's 30, we could get 4 or 5 years out of him, especially if he isn't overly physical like Murray.

The Powerplay Catfish

Proud bottom-feeders since 2013

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins(IR replacement) - Jeff Skinner(IR replacement) - Alex Galchenyuk - Lars Eller(IR replacement) - Juri Hudler (IR replacement)

Pernell-Karl Subban - Jack Johnson(IR replacement)

Roberto Luongo

#527 BreakAwayGoal13

BreakAwayGoal13

All-Star / Super vedette

• Members
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

I like this idea. Dont know too much about him though. Certainly heard of him, but didn't know he could lay lots of minutes.

He only has a 3.3 cap hit and it signed through 2016-17. 

Posted Image

#528 THEBIGGESTHABSFAN123

THEBIGGESTHABSFAN123

Hockey Guru / Grand manitou

• Members
  • 12,976 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

He's only averaging 19.5 minutes this year. That's not big minutes.

Posted Image

#529 macgregor14

macgregor14

• Banned Users
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:25 AM

I would take the Bourque to Cammy swap, wouldn't go much above that though.

I wouldn't want either one.

#530 elvisnut

elvisnut

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:26 AM

I would take Cammy for the right price in a heartbeat . He has a knack for scoring in the playoffs. During the strike they kept showing replays of the old series with Washington and Pittsburg and he was crazy scoring. If we can get 25% of that from him!!! Plus I miss him ....have his jersey as a Hab!  

#531 BreakAwayGoal13

BreakAwayGoal13

All-Star / Super vedette

• Members
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

TFP now saying that Nick Schultz could be available from EDM. Any interest?

Posted Image

#532 HabsAlways

HabsAlways

Veteran / Vétéran

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

Oh, I have no doubt that, given MB's track record, he's going to make more head-scratcher moves. And I am pretty certain that you won't even have to wait till the summer...I said it before, and I'll say it again - he doesn't know how to value talent with need. Simply put, he's inept.

See, statements like that puzzle me.   Bergevin is inept because he's made moves you don't agree with ... yet ...

Lets look at inept ...

Rejean Houle ... who dismantled the Habs piece by piece

Pierre Gauthier ... who traded a player mid game, then told him he'd have to pay for the jersey

Kevin Lowe/Tambellini that despite drafting in the top 5 for what ... that last 10 years?  the Oilers continue to stink

No, Bergevin is not inept ... I don't think he's fully put his stamp on this team yet to be honest, as he inherited some pieces that were dubious (Rene Bourque anyone?) ...

Lets compare records :

Gauthier  75-65-24 0.521 winning PCT ... and the lowest finish in decades for the Habs

Bergevin  56-31-10 0.629 winning PCT

So who's inept?

But back on topic

Bourque, Moen, Desharnais all need to go ... make Pleks/Eller our #1/#2 centers ... Bournival plays better than Bourque so move him into the top 6 with Patches, Gally, Mini-Gally,  and Briere

3rd line ... Prust, Gionat and Leblanc

4th line  White, Parros and whoever we pickup ... either Prust gets moved to 4th and Unknown player is in top 9 or we pick up a big, checking forward for the 4th ... or Moen if we keep him and dump Bourque and Desharnais for a 4th line winger (over Parros) and a top 4 Dman

Edited by HabsAlways, 22 January 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#533 HabsAlways

HabsAlways

Veteran / Vétéran

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Actually in hindsight, we should suck it up .. start using Bealieu and Tinordi on a regular basis, that takes care of the dman problem ... I personally think both those guys are ready

Move Bourque and Desharnais ... for the following :

Patches - Eller- Mini-Gally

Gally - Plekenec - ???

Bournival - Briere - Gionta 

Moen - White - Prust

We either aim for a top 6 forward ... or ... a top end prospect, and slot Leblanc in on 3rd line and move Gionta or Briere up to 2nd line.

Dman -

Emelin - Subban (Emelin on his natural side and shielded by Subban)

Markov - Tinordi

Bealieu - Gorges

#534 jedimaas

jedimaas

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,694 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

He's only averaging 19.5 minutes this year. That's not big minutes.

I assume you are talkiing about Daley?  

No one said that he is playing big minutes.  The point is that he can play big minutes. He's averaged 21-22 minutes for the last 5 years and has been playing 19 minutes a game since he was 22, hardly missing any games during that time.

And even 19 minutes a game is pretty high when you factor in that unlike guys like Subban etc, he doesnt get 1.5 minutes of PP time every powerplay.  

#535 Habsology2

Habsology2

Veteran / Vétéran

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

See, statements like that puzzle me.   Bergevin is inept because he's made moves you don't agree with ... yet ...

Lets look at inept ...

Rejean Houle ... who dismantled the Habs piece by piece

Pierre Gauthier ... who traded a player mid game, then told him he'd have to pay for the jersey

Kevin Lowe/Tambellini that despite drafting in the top 5 for what ... that last 10 years?  the Oilers continue to stink

No, Bergevin is not inept ... I don't think he's fully put his stamp on this team yet to be honest, as he inherited some pieces that were dubious (Rene Bourque anyone?) ...

Lets compare records :

Gauthier  75-65-24 0.521 winning PCT ... and the lowest finish in decades for the Habs

Bergevin  56-31-10 0.629 winning PCT

So who's inept?

But back on topic

Bourque, Moen, Desharnais all need to go ... make Pleks/Eller our #1/#2 centers ... Bournival plays better than Bourque so move him into the top 6 with Patches, Gally, Mini-Gally,  and Briere

3rd line ... Prust, Gionat and Leblanc

4th line  White, Parros and whoever we pickup ... either Prust gets moved to 4th and Unknown player is in top 9 or we pick up a big, checking forward for the 4th ... or Moen if we keep him and dump Bourque and Desharnais for a 4th line winger (over Parros) and a top 4 Dman

You never proved that he isn't inept. All you did was compare him to other inept GMs. Saying that he's the least of the lot does not make him a great gm. I dubbed him inept because he hasn't made a single move yet that has improved this team. In fact, he has set us back. Tell me which move he's made that has had a positive impact on this team. Was it the hiring of MT? You can see all the grumbling going on about him in the posts. Was it getting Paros, Briere, Drewiski, Murray? Big no! Ok, I'll give him Prust. But he's not really a game breaker is he? The bridge deal with Subban, the extension of DD, the extension of Bouillon, the reluctance to bring up the youngsters. The writing is all there on the wall.

#536 Habs-Rule-Forever

Habs-Rule-Forever

Moderators/Modérateurs

• Moderators/Modérateurs
  • 29,107 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

Del Zotto just went to the Preds for Klien.

HRF8_zps1398c987.png

#537 Habsology2

Habsology2

Veteran / Vétéran

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

The Preds keep stocking up on their D.

#538 HabsAlways

HabsAlways

Veteran / Vétéran

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

You never proved that he isn't inept. All you did was compare him to other inept GMs. Saying that he's the least of the lot does not make him a great gm. I dubbed him inept because he hasn't made a single move yet that has improved this team. In fact, he has set us back. Tell me which move he's made that has had a positive impact on this team. Was it the hiring of MT? You can see all the grumbling going on about him in the posts. Was it getting Paros, Briere, Drewiski, Murray? Big no! Ok, I'll give him Prust. But he's not really a game breaker is he? The bridge deal with Subban, the extension of DD, the extension of Bouillon, the reluctance to bring up the youngsters. The writing is all there on the wall.

And yet ... with the hiring of MT, the few moves he has made ... well I think his record speaks for itself.   This team is far better than the team that Gauthier/Martin were running.   To call him inept because he hasn't made some block buster deal is over dramatic.   If in 5 years we still have a similar record or worse, then maybe we can start calling him out.   Currently, this year and last our record is almost identical and MB works in a challenging city that many players simply don't want to come and play for regardless of how well the team is doing.   Big deals don't always pay dividends.   In fact, I'd rather see MB patiently build this team through the draft, free agents, waivers and EVENTUALLY a trade when the time is right to push us over the edge. 

Personally, I don't care for Desharnais ... but his extension given his performance was not uncalled for.    Paros was the big enforcer we never had, not MB's fault his head turned into a fragile egg.    Briere was ... iffy yes, but not an overly terrible signing given the term.    Drewskie we grabbed at the time because our D corp was battered, and Murray is a big bodied Dman that played well elsewhere.    And the Subban bridge deal was as more about the changing cap than anything else.

Everyone acts as if we're supposed to be out signing all the stars in the league ... you don't build a team just by throwing money at it and you certainly don't win championships that way ... just look at the Rangers and how many times they've "bought" as much talent as they could in free agency and gone nowhere.

#539 Kordic71

Kordic71

Rookie / Recrue

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

What deal has he made that has helped this team? Desharnais' deal isn't the worst  but even MB admitted he shouldn't have done it. Drewiske will never make sense as we have Tinordi,Beaulieu and Pateryn ready. the same goes for Boullion and Murray. Murray played bad last year, bad enough to be expendable in a trade, and then so aweful no one wanted to sign him as a FA.Parros was the best we could do for toughness, an aging fighter at the end of his career is never the best that can be done.Briere was a terrible signing, production has been dropping fast for a few years, he's smaller, and has had too many concussions.Jagr would have been a much better choice, I'd have even given Latendresse a try out before getting Briere.

I don't believe MB is going out of his way to hurt the team on purpose, but I'm having a really hard time seeing where he's making us better, keeping smaller, older past their best before date players instead of trading for upgrades or injecting ready for prime time youth into the line up is actually hurting.

Almost all of this team was from the Gainey/Gauthier. It's about time MB does something, good or bad, but to do something.

#540 BigTed3

BigTed3

Moderator/Modérateur

• Moderators/Modérateurs
  • 17,019 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

If we're comparing GM's, I'll say what I said two years ago: I liked the direction PG was taking the team, although I didn't care much for the secretive way in which he handled his business. MB is the opposite... he seems very personable, but I have questions about his judgment. All in all though, as far as their records go until now, I like PG's evaluation of talent a little bit better than MB's. MB is still an inexperienced GM and perhaps he'll develop better judgment with time, but thus far, I haven't been overly impressed with what he's done.

The other thing I'd like to point out is that a team's record is not always reflective of how successful a GM is. Unlike a coach, whose influence is usually felt immediately, a GM really needs time to shape a team into what he would like to see. But BG and PG helped to build a decent core here, and if you look at the most important players on the team now, these are guys inherited by MB... Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Eller, Plekanec, Markov, Gallagher, Gorges, Emelin, etc. The players MB has brought in are either ones who are contributing marginally, are under-performing, or were draft picks set up by the Habs poor finish in 2012 and the trades PG made for picks before he left. So really, I'd attribute more of our current success to PG than to MB and if anything, the job MB has done to date has really hindered where we could have been.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users