Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ColRouleBleu

#76 Pernell Karl Subban 2013-2014

977 posts in this topic

it does look like fatigue, kind of surprised at that though pk always seemed indestructable

it does look like fatigue, kind of surprised at that though pk always seemed indestructable

No player is indestructable ;)

Actually... though the pairing with Markov has been choice most of the time, both at times have been making mental errors that could be as a result of fatigue. I really wouldn't mind Therrien backing-off a little for both players and giving others a greater workload.

Subban does look a little out of sorts the past 3 games or so. Not sure why. I'd be surprised if it's simply fatigue and I'd almost wonder if he's got some minor undisclosed injury. He's not shooting as much and his stick handling hasn't been as fine as it was before. Maybe it's just an odd string of mental mistakes or a little slump, but he hasn't really been himself the past little while. Still one of the better players on the team but not as dominant as usual.

I also think it is a minor injury, he has a lot at stake right now his new contract and the olimpic spot on top of day to day play oh yeah and his modeling carrer

I think it's a wrist injury. Remember a few games ago he blocked a shot with his wrist and was hurt but came back out? That would explain his trouble of controlling the puck. And I heard on 24CH they showed them tape up Subban's wrist.

I think it's a wrist injury. Remember a few games ago he blocked a shot with his wrist and was hurt but came back out? That would explain his trouble of controlling the puck. And I heard on 24CH they showed them tape up Subban's wrist.

Would explain his shot and stickhandling... I've thought about that too, although it's really hard to say because there are other plays where he still looks outstanding and you'd wonder how he'd do that with a bad wrist...

Would explain his shot and stickhandling... I've thought about that too, although it's really hard to say because there are other plays where he still looks outstanding and you'd wonder how he'd do that with a bad wrist...

Yeah. Maybe he plays through the pain but sometimes isn't able to.

If it's the game I'm thinking of (he took the puck in the wrist and came back) it was quite a while ago, like before that crazy dominant stretch of hockey he played. So it seems odd that it would be bothering him now, unless he aggravated it somehow during this condensed part of the schedule.

Some numbers on Subban (and Markov) that are really unbelievable.

Subban and Markov don’t just tilt the ice, they help light the lamp. This dynamic defensive duo are among the top 10 blueline scoring leaders, with Subban at 24 points and Markov 18. They have been on the ice for 51 and 52, respectively, of the 80 goals the Habs have scored this season. The only NHL skater who has been on the ice for more goals by his team is Pittsburgh’s Sidney Crosby (55). Not even goal-scoring leader Alex Ovechkin comes close (37). The next best defensive player is Duncan Keith of Chicago (48).

full article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2013/12/07/montreals-subban-and-markov-are-nhls-best-defensive-pair/

To rephrase that, Subban has been on the ice for 64% of Montreal's goals this year, and Markov 65%. Crosby has been on the ice for just 57%, and he is the next closest. If there is any doubt as to what this pairing is worth to this team, erase it. They run our offense.

Does that make it easier or harder to justify splitting them up? Perhaps it's a high-risk (losing our offense) to high-reward (they both produce close to as much, now on 2 pairings) situation?

Some numbers on Subban (and Markov) that are really unbelievable.

full article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2013/12/07/montreals-subban-and-markov-are-nhls-best-defensive-pair/

To rephrase that, Subban has been on the ice for 64% of Montreal's goals this year, and Markov 65%. Crosby has been on the ice for just 57%, and he is the next closest. If there is any doubt as to what this pairing is worth to this team, erase it. They run our offense.

Does that make it easier or harder to justify splitting them up? Perhaps it's a high-risk (losing our offense) to high-reward (they both produce close to as much, now on 2 pairings) situation?

It's hard to expect them to produce close to as much with Gorges and Emelin instead of each other but at this point, with how bad our D is after the 1st pairing we may have to go ahead and try it because we can't live on .940 goaltending all year.

Wow, that bad eh? for sure there could be a change or two on defence but I don't think we are all that bad! once the young lads come on line I think we will be quite good in fact we could develop into a very good defence.

Wow, that bad eh? for sure there could be a change or two on defence but I don't think we are all that bad! once the young lads come on line I think we will be quite good in fact we could develop into a very good defence.

It's possible, it's also possible by the time they develop Markov is aging and regressing. Right now Hamilton is a mess and no one seems to be playing that well. They're using Pateryn as their number 1 DMan over Beaulieu and Tinordi by all accounts. The problem is a complete lack of a 2nd pairing right now, it's why Subban and Markov likely need to be split up unfortunately. Our 3rd pairing is going to struggle as long as we continue to use Murray or Bouillon but if we can have 2 solid possession driving pairings we could get along fine, especially if 1 of Pateryn, Tinordi of Beaulieu could step up and play with Diaz.

Right now the D is a concern.

It's possible, it's also possible by the time they develop Markov is aging and regressing. Right now Hamilton is a mess and no one seems to be playing that well. They're using Pateryn as their number 1 DMan over Beaulieu and Tinordi by all accounts. The problem is a complete lack of a 2nd pairing right now, it's why Subban and Markov likely need to be split up unfortunately. Our 3rd pairing is going to struggle as long as we continue to use Murray or Bouillon but if we can have 2 solid possession driving pairings we could get along fine, especially if 1 of Pateryn, Tinordi of Beaulieu could step up and play with Diaz.

Right now the D is a concern.

You could also swap Diaz (who's been playing really well of late) with Emelin who is still struggling to adjust and could benefit from some easier minutes IMHO. Gorges and Diaz had their frustrating moments, but overall we're a competent second pairing and usually on the right side of posession, especially when Markov and Subban were eating up the tough minutes.

You could also swap Diaz (who's been playing really well of late) with Emelin who is still struggling to adjust and could benefit from some easier minutes IMHO. Gorges and Diaz had their frustrating moments, but overall we're a competent second pairing and usually on the right side of posession, especially when Markov and Subban were eating up the tough minutes.

Murray - Emelin could be uggggly right now.

Murray - Emelin could be uggggly right now.

It's kind of scary; I would probably prefer Murray-Bouillon if we went that route.

I was at the Habs-Flyers the other night and laughed when everyone booed PK when he touched the puck. I was telling my son how it's funny that everyone hates him. He asked me why people hate him, and this [edit] lady turns around and says "because he's a DIRTY PLAYER!"

I looked at her sort of stunned and said, "Are you serious? Your team boasts about the name "the Broad Street Bullies" and you're feel that PK Subban is a dirty player?" She just stared at me and I told my son (so she could hear), the Flyer fans would LOVE a guy like PK Subban on their team...

Thought that was a rather humorous exchange.

BTW- I thought the Flyer fans were pretty cool to us. We were wearing our Habs gear and no one harassed us (probably because they felt sorry since we played like crud!)

JA2

Edited by BigTed3
Language

He's pretty good at this hockey stuff.

I wonder if his agent had a meeting today. PK did say he would stay out of the negotatiations and let Meehan handle it, but games like this............ Great to see!!!!!

absolutely dominant, game-breaking performance last night. Was amazing to watch.

finally! where was this flair in December? I still think he was nursing an injury, he just did not look like himself at all but last night now that's worth 8-9 million anytime!

finally! where was this flair in December? I still think he was nursing an injury, he just did not look like himself at all but last night now that's worth 8-9 million anytime!

Yep. He's got the ability to carry the puck deep in the offensive zone provided someone backs him up on defense. I get tired of watching him wheel to the blue line and shoot the puck in because the forwards will usually be standing still and he's basically turning the puck over.

I wasn't on for last nights game, but had PVR'd it and watched it later. Subban and Patches both had monster games, we now know Patches is representing USA, Subban better be representing Canada.

After the bombshell yesterday (Ryan not going to Sochi), nothing will surprise me. Although, with the big ice surfaces and the fact Ryan is a tad slow, I can understand why they would go with Patches who's a fast skater, the big ice surface may benefit the faster, skilled players.

Yep. He's got the ability to carry the puck deep in the offensive zone provided someone backs him up on defense. I get tired of watching him wheel to the blue line and shoot the puck in because the forwards will usually be standing still and he's basically turning the puck over.

Thing I've noticed about Subban this season is how he uses his long stick. It works great when he deke's around defenders to gain the o-zone, it also helps his in his own end when defending, but down low in the slot where there are a lot of bodies and sticks, the long reach is a bit of a hindrance.

Last night he had just enough room, stayed away from the highly populated areas and released an excellent shot just before reaching the crowd of people, what a goal.

I think PK and much of the team barely made it into the Christmas break. He was on a talk show over the holiday (same day patches child was born as he congratulated him) and mentioned how tired the team was, About four games before the break I watched the puck bouncing on him all night and he could barely complete a pass and then last night where he along with everyone else is flying.

It was an interesting interview as he was given the opportunity to take a shot at a teammate and he did not take the bait. He also seemed to be authentically saying he was not worried about the contract negotiations. He is definetely looking a little humbler or more mature.If the message from Therrien and the Olympic team is the same I am sure it will impact PK further. This may be the year we look back on as the year of change that developed him into the superstar he has the potential to be. Olympic or Canada Cup years have been the catalyst for a few (Including Mario/ and no I am not saying he is Mario) in the past.

It is nice to see the dog days of December are behind us. Maybe it is our turn to hit some teams that are approaching difficult stretches in their own schedules.