• This topic is locked This topic is locked
976 replies to this topic

#181 powerplay2009

powerplay2009

Hockey Guru / Grand manitou

• Members
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

In any case, though, I do agree with the rest of your post.  Hopefully Emelin's return will give us some help on that front by allowing us to move Markov around to help out another pairing.

I think Emelin will be a huge boost. Not only is he probably our second best d-man defensively, but he was starting to show a decent amount of offensive upside too. He's pretty unique as far as defenseman go. I think he and Subban have the potential to be almost as dynamic as Markov and Subban.

Not positive but I believe the stats were even strength and in regulation.

Makes sense if that's the case. Possession numbers with special teams can be pretty skewed.

The Powerplay Catfish

Proud bottom-feeders since 2013

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins(IR replacement) - Jeff Skinner(IR replacement) - Alex Galchenyuk - Lars Eller(IR replacement) - Juri Hudler (IR replacement)

Pernell-Karl Subban - Jack Johnson(IR replacement)

Roberto Luongo

#182 FirstStar

FirstStar

Moderators/Modérateurs

• Moderators/Modérateurs
  • 32,275 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

I found that last season Emelin didn't get enough credit for his defensive game due to being paired with a struggling marky.

He constantly having to skate over to marky's side to bail him out.

We only noticed his game after he went down and no one who we paired with marky worked. We even dusted off Weber and brought him out of his pressbox suite. As to be expected, the results weren't any better.

If we move marky down to the 2nd pairing with emelin, I don't know who we could put as PK's d partner. It's definitely not a match made in heaven, but we can only do so much with who we have, process of elimination... Gorges. He stays at home, is a decent defender and will give us one capable dman back while PK showcases his talent in the ozone.

naslund1.png

Let's raise #25 to the rafters and break the Bell Centre curse.

Team FirstStar:
1)Stamkos Pacioretty 2)Niemi 3)Pietrangelo 4)Moulson 5)Eberle 6)Sharp

7)Shattenkirk 8)B.Richards

#183 jedimaas

jedimaas

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,671 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

I found that last season Emelin didn't get enough credit for his defensive game due to being paired with a struggling marky.

He constantly having to skate over to marky's side to bail him out.

We only noticed his game after he went down and no one who we paired with marky worked. We even dusted off Weber and brought him out of his pressbox suite. As to be expected, the results weren't any better.

If we move marky down to the 2nd pairing with emelin, I don't know who we could put as PK's d partner. It's definitely not a match made in heaven, but we can only do so much with who we have, process of elimination... Gorges. He stays at home, is a decent defender and will give us one capable dman back while PK showcases his talent in the ozone.

I still vote:

Pk - Emelin

Gorges - Markov

Emelin can handle the minutes & matchups PK will draw (much better than gorges) and I believe Markov's mobility is a little better this year so a Markie-Gorges 2nd pairing could work quite well. 

#184 habs1952

habs1952

• Hall of Fame
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

I still vote:

Pk - Emelin

Gorges - Markov

Emelin can handle the minutes & matchups PK will draw (much better than gorges) and I believe Markov's mobility is a little better this year so a Markie-Gorges 2nd pairing could work quite well. 

That sounds ideal to me.

Posted Image

#185 FirstStar

FirstStar

Moderators/Modérateurs

• Moderators/Modérateurs
  • 32,275 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

I still vote:

Pk - Emelin

Gorges - Markov

Despite being a left handed shot, Emelin's actually quite comfortable on his off wing. Believe he played off wing in minor leagues and in the K (have done some research). Since we have a lack of dmen capable of playing the opposite side, I don;t think it's our best interest to put 2 of them on the same line (PK and Emelin). Maybe in a PK situation, but not 5 on 5.

I think he could be a good partner for PK, but I feel the whole he'd leave on the 2nd unit with marky would cause a huge drop off.

naslund1.png

Let's raise #25 to the rafters and break the Bell Centre curse.

Team FirstStar:
1)Stamkos Pacioretty 2)Niemi 3)Pietrangelo 4)Moulson 5)Eberle 6)Sharp

7)Shattenkirk 8)B.Richards

#186 hatethoseleafs

hatethoseleafs

Moderators/Modérateurs

• Moderators/Modérateurs
  • 26,120 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

For those concerned about MT not commenting on PK and the Olympics......

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=437740

25 BEFORE 14

#187 Manatee-X

Manatee-X

Moderators/Modérateurs

• Moderators/Modérateurs
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

For those concerned about MT not commenting on PK and the Olympics......

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=437740

That's nice to hear :)

International Manatee of Mystery

#188 powerplay2009

powerplay2009

• Members
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:13 PM

The more he plays, the more the Sochi debate becomes one-sided. Whether its right that he has to be so much better than everybody else or not, he is right now.

The Powerplay Catfish

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins(IR replacement) - Jeff Skinner(IR replacement) - Alex Galchenyuk - Lars Eller(IR replacement) - Juri Hudler (IR replacement)

Roberto Luongo

#189 habs1952

habs1952

• Hall of Fame
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

I think this was one of the best games I've seen Subban play.

Posted Image

#190 habs_93

habs_93

• Captain/Capitaine
  • 17,405 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:32 PM

Just another dominant night. No big deal.

Posted Image

#191 THEBIGGESTHABSFAN123

THEBIGGESTHABSFAN123

• Members
  • 12,954 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:57 PM

He's Canada's best defender...They can't possibly leave him out.

Posted Image

#192 ramcharger440

ramcharger440

Veteran / Vétéran

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:41 AM

nice game, love how kessel checked up to avoid the hit!

#193 BeanCountingHab

BeanCountingHab

• Captain/Capitaine
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

Subban won the Norris Trophy as the league's outstanding defenceman in last season and Therrien has continued to praise Subban's strong play.

"As far as I'm concerned, he's playing his best hockey. His focus is at the right place," said Therrien after the Canadiens win over Devils Monday night. "He's doing a fabulous job for the team. We're putting him out there against top players, game in and game out. And he loves that challenge. And it's not a coincidence that we're having success, that we pick up wins.

"He's certainly one of the best defencemen right now."

#194 jedimaas

jedimaas

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,671 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:25 PM

Subban won the Norris Trophy as the league's outstanding defenceman in last season and Therrien has continued to praise Subban's strong play.

"As far as I'm concerned, he's playing his best hockey. His focus is at the right place," said Therrien after the Canadiens win over Devils Monday night. "He's doing a fabulous job for the team. We're putting him out there against top players, game in and game out. And he loves that challenge. And it's not a coincidence that we're having success, that we pick up wins.

"He's certainly one of the best defencemen right now."

Just one more reason why you wonder what MT was doing earlier in the year with the lower ice time and not playing PK late in games. Was it an attempt to break a habit? Was there some issue we were not privy to?  Glad its all sorted out now though. Good to see PK getting that ice time...finally.

#195 BigTed3

BigTed3

Moderator/Modérateur

• Moderators/Modérateurs
  • 16,959 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

Just one more reason why you wonder what MT was doing earlier in the year with the lower ice time and not playing PK late in games. Was it an attempt to break a habit? Was there some issue we were not privy to?  Glad its all sorted out now though. Good to see PK getting that ice time...finally.

It's a complete about-face in the way Therrien has handled things. It really makes me think something came from higher up (wouldn't surprise me if this was Geoff Molson hearing all the bad press from the fans and media about Therrien's handling of Subban)... in any case, Subban's being used like a #1 guy finally and I think we're all seeing the results on the ice. He's having another Norris-worthy season thus far.

#196 ramcharger440

ramcharger440

Veteran / Vétéran

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:51 AM

personally i don't think subban was playing up to snuff at the begining of the year. i prefer to give the coach the benifit of the doubt when it come to player useage, we will never know everything that goes on behind the scenes and it is pretty evident that they all get along quite well. some of the things that were said earlier in the year about the coaches motivations for not playing him were quite extreme. as he has played better and better  this year his ice time has improved and he is now playing better than ever in my opinion.

#197 BigTed3

BigTed3

Moderator/Modérateur

• Moderators/Modérateurs
  • 16,959 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:15 AM

personally i don't think subban was playing up to snuff at the begining of the year. i prefer to give the coach the benifit of the doubt when it come to player useage, we will never know everything that goes on behind the scenes and it is pretty evident that they all get along quite well. some of the things that were said earlier in the year about the coaches motivations for not playing him were quite extreme. as he has played better and better  this year his ice time has improved and he is now playing better than ever in my opinion.

PK put up 2 goals, 8 assists for 10 points in his first 7 games. He had 26 shots, was a +6, and averaged over a blocked shot a game while posting some of the best possession metrics on the team. I think not only did he play up to snuff, he was our best player (not counting the goalies) over that time and remains our best player now. Now that MT is using him more and in more key ES/PK/end of game situations, we're seeing the team have more success.

#198 roy_133

roy_133

• Retired jersey/chandail retiré
  • 20,301 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

PK put up 2 goals, 8 assists for 10 points in his first 7 games. He had 26 shots, was a +6, and averaged over a blocked shot a game while posting some of the best possession metrics on the team. I think not only did he play up to snuff, he was our best player (not counting the goalies) over that time and remains our best player now. Now that MT is using him more and in more key ES/PK/end of game situations, we're seeing the team have more success.

Yeah nothing was missing from his game and the quick turnaround in Therrien's behavior is interesting. I'm glad. Wonder if it came from Bergevin (I doubt it would be Molson). I mean, Therrien knows having his stars happy and productive is the only way he keeps his job and he's no fool but it was pretty sudden.

Posted Image

#199 ramcharger440

ramcharger440

Veteran / Vétéran

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

well when i watch him now he looks far better and more in control. stats be dammed i believe what i see. stats are a tool not a be all end all. i fully expect him to be the best player on our team most nights on the night he is not it is carey. it will be a great day when some of our kids can take over here and there. this is just my opinion on his play obviously you differs from mine.

#200 powerplay2009

powerplay2009

• Members
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

well when i watch him now he looks far better and more in control. stats be dammed i believe what i see. stats are a tool not a be all end all. i fully expect him to be the best player on our team most nights on the night he is not it is carey. it will be a great day when some of our kids can take over here and there. this is just my opinion on his play obviously you differs from mine.

So you still don't think he was up to snuff at the beginning? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you in an outright sense so don't feel like I'm trying to pile it on or anything. 

I agree to a certian extent. Even when he was putting up points, he wasn't playing like I think we all knew he could at the beginning of the year. He was still very, very good and maybe even dominant, but since the whole "Why not PK" thing happened, I think he has definitely turned it up, to where he is the most dominant and undeniable game on the ice night in and night out. I think he was up to snuff before, but no doubt his game has improved over the course of the season, especially recently.

The Powerplay Catfish

Roberto Luongo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users