Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

Daniel Brière #48

8464975.jpg

__ Stats __.__ Splits __.__ Game Log __.__ Notes __.__ Videos __

Position: Right Wing Shoots: Right
Birth Place: Gatineau, QC, CAN
Birth Date: 06-Oct-1977 Age: 35
Height: 5' 10" Weight: 179
Drafted by: Phoenix Draft Year: 1996 Round 1(24 overall)
Acquired: Free agency 2013

167577036_slide.jpg

gangsta.jpg

Tix for 2014-2015:   Sep28 WHSOct16 BOS (W) | Oct25 NYR (W) | Nov4 CHI (L)  Nov8 MIN (W) | Nov13 BOS (W) | Dec9 VAN (W) Good Bye Mr Béliveau| Dec18 ANA (L)Dec20 OTT | Jan20 NSH | Feb3 BUF | Feb14 TOR | Mar1@SJS | Mar4@ANA | Mar5@LAK(Habs bench) | Mar19 CAR | Apr9 DET (102-AA)  :D 

#2 hatethosebruins

hatethosebruins

Hockey Guru / Grand manitou

• Captain/Capitaine
  • 9,001 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

Well this will be an interesting experiment

2w21ob6.jpg

#3 kinot-1

kinot-1

• Hall of Fame
  • 37,680 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

MB had to have talked to him to see where his head was at, so maybe MB saw something that we don't. If Briere gets somehwere in the range of 50-65 PTs., I'll be happy.

Habs Fan since '59, 14 Cup Wins
Habs Fan 'Til The Day I Die And Beyond If Possible
No Other Team Or Sport Comes Close

Space reserved for the Stonely Cup smiley-dance013_zps5e84ab4c.gif

Kudos to habs_93, for my new sig.  :)

xF3qSV4_zps3b7a5b62.png

#4 jedimaas

jedimaas

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

MB had to have talked to him to see where his head was at, so maybe MB saw something that we don't. If Briere gets somehwere in the range of 50-65 PTs., I'll be happy.

I have a feeling we'll be pleasantly surprised.  Is it a gamble? Yes.  But in many ways even though id rather have Lecavalier for the next 2 years, Im more comfortable with Briere for 2 than Lecav for 5 with a NMC.  I do believe with this addition we will see some movement in our forward ranks.  Moving DD would make the most sense, but its possible Plekanec gets moved for what is likely a more sizeable return.  Its probably no coincidence that we signed arguably the most effective playoff performer available in this year's crop.

#5 kinot-1

kinot-1

• Hall of Fame
  • 37,680 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

I have a feeling we'll be pleasantly surprised.  Is it a gamble? Yes.  But in many ways even though id rather have Lecavalier for the next 2 years, Im more comfortable with Briere for 2 than Lecav for 5 with a NMC.  I do believe with this addition we will see some movement in our forward ranks.  Moving DD would make the most sense, but its possible Plekanec gets moved for what is likely a more sizeable return.  Its probably no coincidence that we signed arguably the most effective playoff performer available in this year's crop.

I think that's what MB has in mind. We "should" make the POs, and will need a scorer like him to help move us to the next level.(or two).

xF3qSV4_zps3b7a5b62.png

#6 KeepsItReal

KeepsItReal

Veteran / Vétéran

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

Is there any chance Briere could play a LW position? There are some guys who play out of position that way, I never understand what warrants or doesn't warrant it, seems to be pretty rare.

#7 crazyhorse_8000

crazyhorse_8000

Draft pick / Choix au repêchage

• Tryout / Joueur à l'essai
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:35 AM

I think Briere's measure of success will entirely depend on whether the media in Montreal gets to him. I can already smell scapegoat on this guy.

#8 kinot-1

kinot-1

• Hall of Fame
  • 37,680 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:51 AM

I think Briere's measure of success will entirely depend on whether the media in Montreal gets to him. I can already smell scapegoat on this guy.

With the French media,,,I am sure he can do no wrong.  <_<

xF3qSV4_zps3b7a5b62.png

#9 weepingminotaur

weepingminotaur

• Banned Users
  • 29,201 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Hoping he stays healthy, that's my number one concern. If he stays healthy, he'll contribute and we'll all be satisfied.

It wasn't my trick, Michael.

IT WAS MY ILLUSION!!!

#10 BeanCountingHab

BeanCountingHab

• Captain/Capitaine
  • 5,764 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

Hoping he stays healthy, that's my number one concern. If he stays healthy, he'll contribute and we'll all be satisfied.

+1.  And I know we've gone on in other threads about how someone being "clutch" or a "playoff performer" gets oversused but if (hopefully when) we get to the post season, I know I won't mind having one of the most productive playoff performers of his generation in our lineup. 

#11 weepingminotaur

weepingminotaur

• Banned Users
  • 29,201 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

+1.  And I know we've gone on in other threads about how someone being "clutch" or a "playoff performer" gets oversused but if (hopefully when) we get to the post season, I know I won't mind having one of the most productive playoff performers of his generation in our lineup. 

It is important, but the problem is when journalists and fans start labelling players prematurely without a large enough sample size. By contrast, Briere has played in over 100 NHL playoff games and been over PPG (109 points) in that span. THAT is a meaningful sample size to me, not a guarantee that he'll continue to perform like that (he's older and banged up), but certainly something to value in its right place.

IT WAS MY ILLUSION!!!

#12 FirstStar

FirstStar

Moderators/Modérateurs

• Moderators/Modérateurs
  • 33,207 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

It is important, but the problem is when journalists and fans start labelling players prematurely without a large enough sample size. By contrast, Briere has played in over 100 NHL playoff games and been over PPG (109 points) in that span. THAT is a meaningful sample size to me, not a guarantee that he'll continue to perform like that (he's older and banged up), but certainly something to value in its right place.

He would've been a player i'd have picked up at the trade deadline if I were a true cup contender.

He's kind of hit or miss in the reg season, but he possesses that quality that for some reason, when the playoffs come around he heats up. Claude Lemieux was the perfect example of that, he wasn't a wash in the reg season, he played his game well, but wow, he turned into Mario lemieux once the playoffs rolled around.

Then you have guys like Ovy who heats it up in the reg season, but seems to taper off or remain the same when the playoffs hit. He isn't a wash in the post season, but you expect someone with his skill to turn it up a notch and hit that next level, which i don't see from him.

Personally I'd rather have the former.

naslund1.png

"This is not a time to say goodbye, this is a time to say thank you."
-Ken Dryden

#13 jedimaas

jedimaas

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

Bingo. Im not sure he's a PPG player any more (who knows, with the right ice time & linemates, maybe he is) but if he stays healthy there's no reason to believe he couldnt have a 60+ point season, which would be just fine in my books.  He still has the goods, the concern is whether he'll be in the lineup enough to show them. 

He would've been a player i'd have picked up at the trade deadline if I were a true cup contender.

He's kind of hit or miss in the reg season, but he possesses that quality that for some reason, when the playoffs come around he heats up. Claude Lemieux was the perfect example of that, he wasn't a wash in the reg season, he played his game well, but wow, he turned into Mario lemieux once the playoffs rolled around.

Then you have guys like Ovy who heats it up in the reg season, but seems to taper off or remain the same when the playoffs hit. He isn't a wash in the post season, but you expect someone with his skill to turn it up a notch and hit that next level, which i don't see from him.

Personally I'd rather have the former.

I think some of it may have to do with the other team targeting them. Im not sure if guys like Briere know how to adapt better (ie remember how Spacek completely shut down Ovy a few years back & then Gill did it to Crosby the next round?) or if they usually end up on a secondary scoring line which just doesnt get shadowed as hard?  But as mentioned by weep, the sample size (100+ games) is large enough to believe that he will continue to be a great playoff performer going forward. 

#14 KeepsItReal

KeepsItReal

Veteran / Vétéran

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

Briere will bring some solid offensive talents to the ice every night, it's up to the coaching staff to find the right situation for him. He provides some depth and stability and some time for some younger guys to advance closer to their potential.

#15 weepingminotaur

weepingminotaur

• Banned Users
  • 29,201 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

Bingo. Im not sure he's a PPG player any more (who knows, with the right ice time & linemates, maybe he is) but if he stays healthy there's no reason to believe he couldnt have a 60+ point season, which would be just fine in my books.  He still has the goods, the concern is whether he'll be in the lineup enough to show them. 

Yeah, I agree. He's not a regular-season PPG player anymore by any means. He could surprise us with a return-to-elite-form year, but it's unlikely. If he stays healthy and finishes with 50-60 points and heats up in the playoffs, I will be absolutely satisfied.

I think some of it may have to do with the other team targeting them. Im not sure if guys like Briere know how to adapt better (ie remember how Spacek completely shut down Ovy a few years back & then Gill did it to Crosby the next round?)

I don't know that Spacek "completely shut down" Ovechkin that year. Ovie had 10 points (5/5) in 7 GP. So over PPG. It just so happened that Halak played out of his mind in the final few games of that series.

And really, Ovechkin is kind of a case for people seeing what they want to see in terms of playoff performance. Through 58 NHL playoff games, he has 61 points (31/30). So again, over PPG -- very good numbers.

IT WAS MY ILLUSION!!!

#16 jedimaas

jedimaas

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

I don't know that Spacek "completely shut down" Ovechkin that year. Ovie had 10 points (5/5) in 7 GP. So over PPG. It just so happened that Halak played out of his mind in the final few games of that series.

Misspeak on my part - you're right, Ovy had a great point total averaged over the series but he was stymied in the games we won.  You're also right that Halak had way more to do with it than Spacek, I just remember spacek (and gill) turning it up a notch for at least a few of those wins, against the caps' top line. 

And really, Ovechkin is kind of a case for people seeing what they want to see in terms of playoff performance. Through 58 NHL playoff games, he has 61 points (31/30). So again, over PPG -- very good numbers.

Touché.

#17 weepingminotaur

weepingminotaur

• Banned Users
  • 29,201 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

Misspeak on my part - you're right, Ovy had a great point total averaged over the series but he was stymied in the games we won.  You're also right that Halak had way more to do with it than Spacek, I just remember spacek (and gill) turning it up a notch for at least a few of those wins, against the caps' top line. 

I agree completely that Spacek played a significant role in our ability to contain (not shut down) Ovechkin in that first series. I mean, we all know Halak and a white-hot Cammalleri were the major reasons we got by Washington (I'll never forget Halak's performance in game six -- we had absolutely NO business winning that game), but Spacek did his part on the right side.

In the second round, we actually played a smarter team D game against Pittsburgh, boxing Crosby and Malkin to the outside, allowing a ton of shots but letting Halak see everything. But that first round? Boy. It was just a fire drill, Halak standing on his head, and Cammalleri scoring on every shot, seemingly. Talk about statistical variances. :D

IT WAS MY ILLUSION!!!

#18 East_Coast_Juggalo_13

East_Coast_Juggalo_13

Draft pick / Choix au repêchage

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

Briere's a solid 2-year "Gap" signing while you develop guys like Thomas, Fournier, Holland, etc. down in Hamilton.  And it can't hurt us any to sign a point per game playoff performer.

#19 roy_133

roy_133

• Retired jersey/chandail retiré
  • 20,522 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

agree completely that Spacek played a significant role in our ability to contain (not shut down) Ovechkin in that first series. I mean, we all know Halak and a white-hot Cammalleri were the major reasons we got by Washington (I'll never forget Halak's performance in game six -- we had absolutely NO business winning that game), but Spacek did his part on the right side.

In the second round, we actually played a smarter team D game against Pittsburgh, boxing Crosby and Malkin to the outside, allowing a ton of shots but letting Halak see everything. But that first round? Boy. It was just a fire drill, Halak standing on his head, and Cammalleri scoring on every shot, seemingly. Talk about statistical variances. :D

I think it was mostly heart and determination not goaltending and streaky goal scoring. 

Edited by roy_133, 21 July 2013 - 05:50 PM.

Posted Image

#20 BeanCountingHab

BeanCountingHab

• Captain/Capitaine
  • 5,764 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

I think it was mostly heart and determination not goaltending and streaky goal scoring. 

Agreed, but I think you're underrating the grit and character that allowed us to prevail as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users