Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Manatee-X

#34 Michael McCarron

266 posts in this topic

Well, he probably has a two or three year trek to the NHL anyway, so... I'm not too concerned about his current production. Hopefully he ups the production rate, though. An entire year of poor scoring would be worrying to some degree.

Well, we knew he'd be a project when we drafted him so we'll just have to wait and see.

Well, we knew he'd be a project when we drafted him so we'll just have to wait and see.

Yep. It'd be nice to see him scoring lots of points and racking up penalty minutes (for those who like fighters), but he's a work in progress. How he turns out... Who really knows!? :mellow: Not all first rounders turn into top line forwards or number 1 defencemen. Montreal fans should understand that.

And where is MM playing right now

In the OHL where most guys won't ever make the NHL

I'm pretty sure he played 2 preseason games and anyway, talk of guys looking good or playing well camp is essentially meaningless. Him not being able to produce vs players in his age group is a concern so far and if it continues like this all year would be a MAJOR concern.

Yeah, I started feeling okay with him after being surprised when we drafted him. But now I don't feel too good anymore. Hopefully he turns it around.

Yep. It'd be nice to see him scoring lots of points and racking up penalty minutes (for those who like fighters), but he's a work in progress. How he turns out... Who really knows!? :mellow: Not all first rounders turn into top line forwards or number 1 defencemen. Montreal fans should understand that.

Usually guys who make it in ANY relevant capacity in the NHL produce on some level in junior. I mean even Ryan White was well over a PP after his draft year in the WHL. Like I said earlier, it's not necessarily a huge deal yet but it's at least concerning. If this keeps up for a full year though, it would be VERY troubling. If he can't even produce in the CHL...

Usually guys who make it in ANY relevant capacity in the NHL produce on some level in junior. I mean even Ryan White was well over a PP after his draft year in the WHL. Like I said earlier, it's not necessarily a huge deal yet but it's at least concerning. If this keeps up for a full year though, it would be VERY troubling. If he can't even produce in the CHL...

Thurs. game 0 PTs.

Fri. game 0 PTs.

Out of 9 goals scored in both games.

1G,,,5A,,,,total since joining the Knights. 20 games. Prorated (approx.) 4G,,,20A. I think he's had enough time to adjust to the JR. game.

On the positive side McCarron scored 2 goals against the bulls. Making his totals 3 goals and 5 assists in 20 OHL games this year.

On the positive side McCarron scored 2 goals against the bulls. Making his totals 3 goals and 5 assists in 20 OHL games this year.

4 points in his last 5 games. Doesn't sound like much but with how unproductive he was it's a start,

6G, 11A, ,,,37 GP. ,,,+4,,,63 PIMs.,,it's getting more disappointing. :unsure:

1g4a in his last 10 games total of 7g15a22p in 47gp

I don't think that's too bad for his OHL rookie season ... wait till next year to judge him.

Edited by HabsAlways

I don't think that's too bad for his OHL rookie season ... wait till next year to judge him.

Nice to see him coming around a bit but 22p in 47 games is pretty underwhelming for a guy his size in a league where a lot of players aren't even out of high school yet.

It's not horrible, but still disappointing. I expect better from him.

Tonight line's against the Barrie colts

R. Rupert-Horvat-M. Rupert
Domi-Tierney-Anderson
Smith-McCarron-Welychka
Seguin-Marner-Yakimowicz

Should be McCarron's 2nd or 3rd game at centre with 2 small wingers.

Tonight line's against the Barrie colts

R. Rupert-Horvat-M. Rupert

Domi-Tierney-Anderson

Smith-McCarron-Welychka

Seguin-Marner-Yakimowicz

Should be McCarron's 2nd or 3rd game at centre with 2 small wingers.

Interesting development.

I heard he excelled in his first night at center, winning 12 out of 14 faceoffs.

Hunter mentioned afterwards that he was happy with what he saw.

Interesting development.

I heard he excelled in his first night at center, winning 12 out of 14 faceoffs.

Hunter mentioned afterwards that he was happy with what he saw.

The Habs could definitely use 6-5 230 lbs. centre coming down the pipeline so to speak. I think people have to be a little more patient with this kid...Bigger players can take a bit longer adjust...I sense from certain posts that people are jumping the gun and pushing the panic button a little early...He's still just a kid after all...

Here's a piece of a report from Habsworld.net, when the Knights met up with Barrie in the game from Sat. Feb. 1st

"McCarron started and spent a good chunk of the game centering Dallas 4th rounder Gemel Smith and undrafted winger Brett Welychka on the Knights' 3rd line. However, after losing a shorthanded faceoff that yielded a goal immediately thereafter, he was moved back to the wing for the latter stages of the game. Also on the negative side, he took a checking to the head penalty (on his next shift after losing that key draw). Barrie scored on that powerplay as well. He also had a stint in the second period where he was more interested in the rough stuff and not the actual play. However, the same could be said for quite a few players on either side as this was a very chippy affair that the officials lost control of at times.

Onto the good stuff though and there was more good than bad. McCarron's decision making was solid and he did well passing the puck to his wingers who could then enter the attacking zone with speed. He had a good nose for the net, generating a couple of quality chances on top of scoring a breakaway that, for a time, made the game look out of reach. McCarron certainly won't win any fastest skater contests but given his size and Barrie's team speed, he certainly didn't look out of place in that element."

McCarron had 1 goal, 1 assist and was +5 against Oshawa Generals.

-Interested note Michael has 7 fights in the OHL this year.

While my opinion is McCarron's value will be as a PWF, possibly centering Galchenyuk and Gallagher. Certainly he will never be the goon type of player many think that's all he's capable of, far from it, for those that watch his play in the OHL. This season has been one of learning and watching his opponents, his hockey IQ and vision will allow him 1st line duties, along with being the defensive conscience on his line. Equally as important in the playoffs, much like Peter Mahovlich's duties on the Guy Lafleur-Steve Shutt line of the 70's.Just my impressions from the lackluster play others see, one must look for the best in others to actually see them.

McCarron had 1 goal, 1 assist and was +5 against Oshawa Generals.

-Interested note Michael has 7 fights in the OHL this year.

He has 11 points in his last 11 games.

He has 11 points in his last 11 games.

That sounds better! Maybe he's finding his offensive game!

As of today,,,, 13G,,17A,,+8,,,116 PIMs.

As of today,,,, 13G,,17A,,+8,,,116 PIMs.

This is good news. He's continuing to keep up his good work from a few weeks back. Good for him.

As of today.

64GP,,13G,,,20A,,33 PTs.,,, +12,,,118 PIMs.

Things are picking up. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0