The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Thomas Vanek

What does everyone think the chances are of Vanek re-signing with the Habs?

I'd peg it at about 35%. If he wants to sign for a team that's competitive, that has key elements in place to win, and on which he gets to play a feature role, here is as good as any team. If he's interested in playing for a fanbase that cares and in a hockey city, here is as good as any city.

On the other side of things, if he's set on moving to Minnesota for family reasons, that's that and there's not much we can do about it. And if it's about money, it'll come down to offers, although based on the fact he's turned down 50M twice, I'd venture that's less likely. Overall, I think it comes down to whether we can convince him we're a Cup contender this year and for the next 3-4 seasons. If he thinks he can win a Cup here, that's a pretty big incentive to put everything else aside.

What does everyone think the chances are of Vanek re-signing with the Habs?

I think there's two options:

1.)He's only interested in this next contract being his last. In that situation, don't see how we can possibly compete with the open market without using the eighth contract year, which only we can offer.

2.)He goes for one year with us in an attempt to see how he'd do in a full year with Pacioretty. He might end up loving the situation and wanting a long-term deal here. Or he might see it as a chance to raise his value further.

I think more of this depends on Bergevin/ownership than people think. If Bergevin isn't empowered to offer 8 years, or refuses to, he walks. 4 or 5 years isn't going to do it. I would be shocked if he signs for any term other than 1, 7, or 8 years.

• 2 weeks later...

The play when he coughed it up and then sprinted all the way back to make a defensive play was amazing

Vanek has been everything we could have asked and is a big part of where this playoff run takes us so just enjoy the ride ......I think it highly unlikely he will be back and I am not sure I would be happy with signing him to a long term deal, even if he was willing. Let's catch lightenng in a bottle now and enjoy...there are other signing priorities and only so much cap room. We cannot forget that.

Vanek has been everything we could have asked and is a big part of where this playoff run takes us so just enjoy the ride ......I think it highly unlikely he will be back and I am not sure I would be happy with signing him to a long term deal, even if he was willing. Let's catch lightenng in a bottle now and enjoy...there are other signing priorities and only so much cap room. We cannot forget that.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Many seem to agree that it's unlikely that Vanek returns after July 1, but we'll just have to wait and see. I think the cap space would be available if he were interested, however.

As for "catching lightning in a bottle", we're two games away from doing just that!

This guy is a puzzle to me. When I watch him sometimes he looks as slow as Murray, and sometimes he looks as fast as Weise. Sometimes he plays as soft as (pre-playoffs) Bourque, and sometimes he uses his body like Emelin. But at least his hockey IQ is consistent.

was a bit softer last night but still good. if we play Boston I wonder if he will keep playing hard with the heavy hitting?

....I wonder if he's already becoming "conditioned" to the recent pattern of the Montreal Canadiens? You know, a team that's "pretty good" but just can't seem to win the big one any more? Or worse, a franchise that's lost its "win or die" mentality? Where losing has become acceptable? Or even expected?

Of course, players like Vanek sometimes appear to be moving in slow motion but in reality are still two moves ahead of the play. That blind pass to Bourque in Game 2 was one of those times. Vanek almost didn't have to move at all to make the perfect assist.

One thing's for sure.....Round 2 will be a different animal altogether, especially if we play the B's. We will need Vanek to be at his best, his fastest, his toughest.

I haven't been so impressed with Vanek through round 1. I'm hoping some rest will do him good. He hasn't really displayed that killer instinct I was hoping he would have. Tons of skill, but lacking when it comes to the killer blow required of a top line player.

Me either... nor the line of Desharnais-Pacioretty-Vanek as a whole. But then again the playoffs are a different game than the regular season.

Me either... nor the line of Desharnais-Pacioretty-Vanek as a whole. But then again the playoffs are a different game than the regular season.

Pacioretty has had plenty of chances, so that must mean the line is doing something right. However, I was just a little disappointed with Vanek's "jump" overall. He did make some very good plays throughout the series, but we're going to need more from him going forward. I'm hoping he can contribute more offensively in the next round.

Pacioretty has had plenty of chances, so that must mean the line is doing something right. However, I was just a little disappointed with Vanek's "jump" overall. He did make some very good plays throughout the series, but we're going to need more from him going forward. I'm hoping he can contribute more offensively in the next round.

Agreed Jennifer.

That said, nicest and softest pair of hands since Alexei Kovalev wore number 27 for us.

Guest mrsmarkov

Vanek's great, I still want to keep him. But he wasn't the greatest during the first round...he was good, but definitely not what I was expecting. I'm hoping I see his Bruins killer side.

Was worse than invisible tonight, was a liability. Unacceptable. And I don't think he's sick or injured, either. Heck, he had 10 days off, so he's not injured. If he was sick, he shouldn't have played. But I don't think it's either one. I think his mind (and his heart, maybe) is somewhere else. Whatever. This has to be remedied immediately. We cannot have a legitimate scoring threat as talented as he is not just going to waste, but actually helping the opponent with weak plays, being scared to get hit, and floating around in general.

What happened to the goal scoring talisman we knew :unsure: ? He seemed to have fizzled out after Game 1 against Tampa. In fact, the entire first line is getting less effective as the games went on.

Tonight, he wasn't even present in the game. Does he have a problem with MT?