The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Thomas Vanek

how can you even ask that! he gets prime minutes pp time is on the top line.... what more could he want? i think this is just the flip side of this player that many were talking about!

Basically a no-show in the playoffs most of the time. He tapered off the last games in the regular season and the line struggled pretty much after Pacioretty scored his 39th goal. IMO he and Pacioretty are playing scared. And I wouldn't falt Desharnais as much for the poor performances so far.

He has to be sick or injured or something. There were way too many shifts where he he pulled himself off not even 20 seconds into it after a few strides. I doubt we'll know anything until after the playoffs (or possibly if he gets scratched) but something's not right IMHO.

To me, he looked lackluster for Games 2-4 in the first round too, and then he had 10 days off. If he was sick or dealing with a minor injury, you'd think that would have had time to resolve. I'd be inclined to believe Vanek and Therrien when they say he was fine, and it wouldn't make sense for Therrien to call out Vanek at his press conference in terms of effort if he knew he was hurt. I think it's just a case of a player needing to give more.

To me, he looked lackluster for Games 2-4 in the first round too, and then he had 10 days off. If he was sick or dealing with a minor injury, you'd think that would have had time to resolve. I'd be inclined to believe Vanek and Therrien when they say he was fine, and it wouldn't make sense for Therrien to call out Vanek at his press conference in terms of effort if he knew he was hurt. I think it's just a case of a player needing to give more.

I thought games 3 and 4 he looked meh as well, but this game was decidedly different. Impossible to say, but I'll be watching him closely again. I think maybe groin, he seems to be afraid to take full strides. Anyone who's not a scratch is always "fine" during the playoffs until they're eliminated and you find out half the team was injured.

I thought games 3 and 4 he looked meh as well, but this game was decidedly different. Impossible to say, but I'll be watching him closely again. I think maybe groin, he seems to be afraid to take full strides. Anyone who's not a scratch is always "fine" during the playoffs until they're eliminated and you find out half the team was injured.

Injured huh... it remains to be seen. Scored two nice goals on half an effort... imagine if he could give 100%.

This

He looked pretty healthy to me from up close yesterday and I dont think he has any injury at all either. I paid particular attention to his skating and his overall routine in warmup and nothing looked out of the ordinary.

Guest mrsmarkov

His play has just been completely dry lately...I don't know what's up. He has so much more to give. It seems like he's lost his motivation.

He should be sat for a game and see if that re ignites his desire. He isn't scoring, creating chances, hitting and really doesn't want to get hit. Looks either scared or just doesn't care, either way a benching couldn't hurt.

Guest habs1952

He should be sat for a game and see if that re ignites his desire. He isn't scoring, creating chances, hitting and really doesn't want to get hit. Looks either scared or just doesn't care, either way a benching couldn't hurt.

He's playing like he doesn't want to jeopardize his big contract this summer.

It is what it is guys, snipers are streaky. Sure I'd like to see more from him but it's the nature of the type of player. We're spoiled with Pacioretty, he's a very rare type of player, most goal scorers are like Vanek/Cammalleri.

I'd bench Briere before I would bench Vanek. Vanek hasn't looked that good, but he's certainly still capable of changing a game. I wouldn't scratch Vanek.

He needs to get going, but I honestly don't think he's been lazy. He's a guy that prefers to slow the game down a little and be a step ahead. Just like Carey. When he's on, people gush because he makes it look easy, but when he's not, I can see how he looks lazy. But looking lazy and being lazy are totally different things.

Player goes on a hot streak, fans want management to move mountains to keep him.

Same player goes on a cold streak and all of a sudden, he's treated like we would've won the series in 5 if it weren't for him.

This is why we can't have nice things. For another example, see Price, Carey.

Player goes on a hot streak, fans want management to move mountains to keep him.

Same player goes on a cold streak and all of a sudden, he's treated like we would've won the series in 5 if it weren't for him.

But that's the way things go. It's always about "what have you done for me lately?". No one is saying to let Weaver go because he has been consistent and playing well. Vanek, for being a high profile player, hasn't really done much. I do feel that Vanek is a good player, but I also don't think that Vanek fits well with our team. I think someone like Matt Moulson would have been a better fit. I guess we'll see how things shake out over the summer.

Guest habs1952

Not scoring doesn't mean you can just go through the motions and mope.

Not scoring doesn't mean you can just go through the motions and mope.

It's how that type of player is. Guys like Vanek "float" and look for dead spots on the ice to strike. When they're scoring it looks great, when they're not it looks lazy. I don't want Vanek flying all over the ice like Ryan White.

This criticism has been directed at virtually every goal scorer to play the game. Kessel, Vanek, Cammalleri, Pacioretty, Ovechkin, Gaborik, Hall, Kane (Patrick and Evander), the list goes on.

It's how that type of player is. Guys like Vanek "float" and look for dead spots on the ice to strike. When they're scoring it looks great, when they're not it looks lazy. I don't want Vanek flying all over the ice like Ryan White.

This criticism has been directed at virtually every goal scorer to play the game. Kessel, Vanek, Cammalleri, Pacioretty, Ovechkin, Gaborik, Hall, Kane (Patrick and Evander), the list goes on.

He's not Pacioretty though, he doesn't drive the play to the same extent. Anyway, he is what he is so I'm not piling on the critisism; but it's probably worth taking into consideration before deciding whether to offer him an 8 year deal for $60M or something.

He's not Pacioretty though, he doesn't drive the play to the same extent. Anyway, he is what he is so I'm not piling on the critisism; but it's probably worth taking into consideration before deciding whether to offer him an 8 year deal for $60M or something.

He's not Pacioretty, but he's pretty good at his own style of game. I do think his skating was better the first few weeks he was here and it's tailed off of late, as have his passes. That might be a result of playing tighter opposition in the playoffs, but you would like to see an elite player overcome that. Most scorers are streaky, but they're also harder to replace. There's a reason we're not winning right now despite Eller and Bourque and Plekanec and Gallagher having good playoffs; you need to have your top players playing well as well, and Pacioretty and Vanek have not. It's not enough to just let those types of players walk because you're just as bad off if you don't have them on your team. I'm disappointed in Vanek's play and maybe that helps contract negotiations, but I think we need to try to bring him back no matter how he fares tonight or in any other game.

No certainly not, I just meant that the same "streaky, floater" criticism is applied to Pacioretty as well.

If anything, Vanek should make people appreciate Pacioretty more, because most ~35 goal guys play like Vanek, not Pacioretty.