The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Thomas Vanek

O. M. G.

Vanek was simply amazing tonight. Yes, he scored two goals, but he made at least twice as many incredibly perfect passes that could have been converted into goals as well. What a monster of a game.....and didn't even get a star because other Habs had great games as well. But he finally showed why he's a "Bruin Killer."

One more like that, please!

Thomas Vanek, for all the talk about how bad a post-season he's having (and he's been less noticeable than you would like), now has 5 goals and 3 assists in 10 games. Over the course of a regular season, he'd be on track to pot over 40 goals. So even when you don't notice him and he's playing poorly, he's still been productive.

Thomas Vanek, for all the talk about how bad a post-season he's having (and he's been less noticeable than you would like), now has 5 goals and 3 assists in 10 games. Over the course of a regular season, he'd be on track to pot over 40 goals. So even when you don't notice him and he's playing poorly, he's still been productive.

That's what's funny about these style players. We'll still be waiting for Vanek to "start producing" and the realize he's leading the team in playoff scoring. ^_^

As long as he's "productive" in game 7, i'll be happy :P

I really hope tonight isnt the last time we see Vanek in a Habs jersey :(

I really hope tonight isnt the last time we see Vanek in a Habs jersey :(

I'm torn on this

I've not been overly impressed with his work ethic in the playoffs ... but by the same token, he has flashes of brilliance with the puck.

If the price is right, I want him back. But if we're going to over pay him to stay, thank him and show him the door.

Leading the team in play-off goals, 3rd on the team in play-off points (2nd among forwards), and probably not having his best run of games. Obviously all Montreal fans want him gone. Obviously. :rolleyes: Man, guys... It's all about sample size. And even when he (and Pacioretty, and Desharnais) are not on a hot streak he's still helping the team win games.

with price in nets 2 goals can sometimes be enough, Vanek has had 2, 2 goal games out of 6 games versus boston. He may look like he is not engaging, but his game is away from the scrums.

I am old enough to have watched gretzky, I lived in Edmonton for ten years, I use to have season tickets 10 rows up from ice level, right along the blue line, gretzky never looked as good as a lot of other players and most nights it looked as if he wasn't even trying, but one or two shifts he ccould win a hockey game, now I am not saying vanek is gretzky, but he has a similar approach to the game, they don't appear to be doing much throughout the game but one or two and all of a sudden they have a few points.

I remember going to Calgary saddledome to watch a game between Calgary and Edmonton, it was getting late into the third period and I remember talking to my friend about how lazy gretzky looked and hasn't done anything in the game. well that changed in the last minute when he scored the tying goal, and then went on to setup kurri in the first minute of overtime with a cross ice pass that went through 3 Calgary players. game over, gretzky goal and an assist for 2 points on two shifts in less then 2 minutes and the oilers win...

almost like the habs in the 70's, the other teams used to give everything they had to try to beat montreal and there were nights where it looked like they would. but the habs would just decide to crank it up for a few minutes and the other team goes home losing 5 to 2, wondering where the truck game from that just ran them over :)

Anyone else think the win last night may have helped our chances in resigning Vanek?

Anyone else think the win last night may have helped our chances in resigning Vanek?

I like to think so. For one thing it was probably a lot of fun, and even more than that beating the President's Trophy winners shows that we're a team that has a legitimate shot to compete. And even better, hopefully the Habs as a team are still on the way up :)

That's what's funny about these style players. We'll still be waiting for Vanek to "start producing" and then realize he's leading the team in playoff scoring. ^_^

Requoting because not everybody understands this.

It's his style of play. He's a ninja. :ph34r:

He better be producing in the series against Rangers. If he keeps floating around ineffectively, might as well give up his slot and let others have a goal. Even the fanciful passes without goals have started decreasing.

What has to give to "turn on" Vanek?

Initially, I was one of those who were keen to have him re-signed at all costs. But now, I won't feel much regret if he walks after this playoffs.

He's leading the team in playoff goals. Not sure how much you could want from a guy like him.

Yeah, I'll admit he looks lazy. But looking lazy and being lazy are 2 different things.

Well, if all he's going to do is lead team in goals, we may as well give someone else a chance. B)

I get it, he cruises around, he's a streaky player, but he always dangerous out there, and at the end of the day he's got 5 goals for us through 11 playoff games.

If he really is being lazy, he will certainly snap out of it when he has the stanley cup final patch on his jersey ;)

this must be sureal to him! he was on two deadbeat teams this year alone and has not had many chances to really shine in the playoffs most years. now here he is in Mtl. with rabid fans lots of press everyday and a shot at going all the way. i wonder if he is one of those guy's that can run with that or if it is freaking him out? when you look at a guy like PK you can tell just how much he lives for this!

Guest mrsmarkov

He's leading the team in playoff goals. Not sure how much you could want from a guy like him.

Yeah, I'll admit he looks lazy. But looking lazy and being lazy are 2 different things.

Took the words right out of my mouth. It only appears like he's slacking off. Ya sure I expect a tiny bit more, but that's what happens when you expect too much out of a player...you tend to think they're not performing to their full potential.

If he really is being lazy, he will certainly snap out of it when he has the stanley cup final patch on his jersey ;)

Omg you're making me tear up with joy. Every time I hear how close we are it makes me break down in tears. I'm not strong enough for this :lol:. Oh the feels..

this must be sureal to him! he was on two deadbeat teams this year alone and has not had many chances to really shine in the playoffs most years. now here he is in Mtl. with rabid fans lots of press everyday and a shot at going all the way. i wonder if he is one of those guy's that can run with that or if it is freaking him out? when you look at a guy like PK you can tell just how much he lives for this!

I think at the moment it's freaking him out, but he's going to snap out of it next series. I'm sure he wasn't expecting to make it this far when he was traded...he's just stunned that's all.

Oh I know, Pk is so happy and loving the moment..he truly wants it. Can you imagine playing for your childhood team? That's just incredible and possibly actually winning a cup with your favourite team. Wow. Every time I hear PK talk, it just brings the biggest smile to my face. He's so incredibly happy..it's like Christmas morning for him.

Took the words right out of my mouth. It only appears like he's slacking off. Ya sure I expect a tiny bit more, but that's what happens when you expect too much out of a player...you tend to think they're not performing to their full potential.

Omg you're making me tear up with joy. Every time I hear how close we are it makes me break down in tears. I'm not strong enough for this :lol:. Oh the feels..

I think at the moment it's freaking him out, but he's going to snap out of it next series. I'm sure he wasn't expecting to make it this far when he was traded...he's just stunned that's all.

Oh I know, Pk is so happy and loving the moment..he truly wants it. Can you imagine playing for your childhood team? That's just incredible and possibly actually winning a cup with your favourite team. Wow. Every time I hear PK talk, it just brings the biggest smile to my face. He's so incredibly happy..it's like Christmas morning for him.

Tell me about it!

I actually teared up when we beat Boston!

Reading through some of these posts I can't help but think of another player we had here for a while who use to look lazy but could turn it on at the drop of a hate. Kovalev :) If he is in that same vein of player (looks un interested, flaoting through the middle etc etc) you have to accept that. Those players are not like say Gallagher. A little ball of energy zipping along from zone to zone.

With each game we win our chances of signing Vanek get a little better.

Guest mrsmarkov

Tell me about it!

I actually teared up when we beat Boston!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I thought everyone would laugh at me on here :P. I like you!

Reading through some of these posts I can't help but think of another player we had here for a while who use to look lazy but could turn it on at the drop of a hate. Kovalev :) If he is in that same vein of player (looks un interested, flaoting through the middle etc etc) you have to accept that. Those players are not like say Gallagher. A little ball of energy zipping along from zone to zone.

With each game we win our chances of signing Vanek get a little better.

Ah Kovy, I've always loved him. He should still be playing...