The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Thomas Vanek

Reading through some of these posts I can't help but think of another player we had here for a while who use to look lazy but could turn it on at the drop of a hate. Kovalev :) If he is in that same vein of player (looks un interested, flaoting through the middle etc etc) you have to accept that. Those players are not like say Gallagher. A little ball of energy zipping along from zone to zone.

With each game we win our chances of signing Vanek get a little better.

Here's hoping. Even when he's not scoring, he commands respect by the other team and makes room for everyone else to perform. If we can sign him, there's the potential of having skill and insulation to a level this team hasn't had in decades. Yeah, he's not Gallagher. Not a lot of players are. But if Vanek was regarded around the league as having Gallagher's heart and "intangibles", how likely do you think it would be to ever see him play here?

There's a good chance that we'll never see a team like the 70s Habs in the NHL ever again, let alone that team being us. If we're going to be a real, sustained contender in today's NHL, we have to have as much distributed talent as possible. Not just depth, but depth with true high-end talent in it. Vanek, cold streaks or not, is one of our best options right now at getting that. It's going to take a lot of money and term to sign him here, and the chances of the final years of that contract being high value are not very good. But we shouldn't sign Vanek to a value contract with an aim at having an okay player for 8 years, we should sign him to have a great player for 2-4 during this core's peak. I'd really like to see that happen. Even with its flaws, I really think this team is closer to "win now" than rebuild right now.

Reading through some of these posts I can't help but think of another player we had here for a while who use to look lazy but could turn it on at the drop of a hate. Kovalev :) If he is in that same vein of player (looks un interested, flaoting through the middle etc etc) you have to accept that. Those players are not like say Gallagher. A little ball of energy zipping along from zone to zone.

With each game we win our chances of signing Vanek get a little better.

Actually I was listening to a Wild beat writer on the radio the other day. He brought up some good points as to why they might not want to sign him. They have a strong influx of young talent they want to keep that they will need to sign. Plus they already have a few large contracts to keep paying for as well. So do they want to upset their apple cart by spending tons of money on him? I'm not holding my breath though. Also Vanek is what 30(?), he will be on the decline in 3-4 years.

Another very highly skilled player who would rather float away the playoff season the fans have dreamed about.

Inexcusable! Inconsiderate!

If I'm the coach, I would ask him if he would just rather watch the rest of the playoffs from the stands.....we'll buy him a ticket....or better yet, from Minnesota.....we'll buy him a ticket. Otherwise, you play, and play to win!

I know he has been compared alot to Kovalev. But I think that that comparison is unfair to Kovalev. The way Kovalev played was to keep the puck and turn opponents insideout. The way Vanek plays is like the puck is a hot potato and he wants nothing to do with it. I can't understand how this guy got all those points all these years. I mean, he must have had to take at least a couple of shots on net, right? Why can't/doesn't he shoot on net anymore?

Kovalev's a bad comparison, he was just streaky. There were games where he looked like the best player on the ice, games where he looked terrible but got points anyways, and games where he did absolutely nothing. Vanek has the latter 2 but not the first: he's had games where he's gotten multiple points, but has he ever been dominant on the ice? Kovalev was an overall skilled player, Vanek primarily just has a great shot.

Almost have to wonder about injuries here. He seems to be completely unwilling to shoot which is unlike him.

Perhaps there's a shoulder injury or something that's hurting his shot. It's just odd, guy's always been streaky but he's completely fallen off the map.

I used to want him to resign with the Habs but now I could care less.

Take the money and use it towards Subbans new contract

Kovalev was an overall skilled player, Vanek primarily just has a great shot.

Vanek also has very good vision. Kovalev had the complete package though...Vanek is actually not a very good skater compared to much of our team. Its not just speed (which is sorely lacking) he's just not very mobile. His vision makes up for that when he's "on" because you never know what the heck he's going to do, but skating is definitely not his best asset.

As for his play....people say his head is in minnesota...im not not sure the wild will want him anymore after witnessing this!!

Vanek also has very good vision. Kovalev had the complete package though...Vanek is actually not a very good skater compared to much of our team. Its not just speed (which is sorely lacking) he's just not very mobile. His vision makes up for that when he's "on" because you never know what the heck he's going to do, but skating is definitely not his best asset.

As for his play....people say his head is in minnesota...im not not sure the wild will want him anymore after witnessing this!!

Vanek is actually hurting the team and a liability playing with Plekanec... it didn't work the first time these two played together and it hasn't workied this time either. At least there was more chemistry with Desharnais and Pacioretty for a decent period of time.

Vanek is actually hurting the team and a liability playing with Plekanec... it didn't work the first time these two played together and it hasn't workied this time either. At least there was more chemistry with Desharnais and Pacioretty for a decent period of time.

I'd sit him in favour of Bourny.

Guest habs1952

Another very highly skilled player who would rather float away the playoff season the fans have dreamed about.

Inexcusable! Inconsiderate!

If I'm the coach, I would ask him if he would just rather watch the rest of the playoffs from the stands.....we'll buy him a ticket....or better yet, from Minnesota.....we'll buy him a ticket. Otherwise, you play, and play to win!

I wouldn't take the chance asking. I'd sit him and put Bournival back in.

He's gonna be playing for a lot less money than he thinks next year.

I'd sit him based on the effort he's giving so far. Completely neutralizing a line with nonchalant play is not an option for Game 3. No passengers are a must Thursday night.

I'd sit him based on the effort he's giving so far. Completely neutralizing a line with nonchalant play is not an option for Game 3. No passengers are a must Thursday night.

The other issue is that he's really hindering that line - Eller's line is the only one we can count on for consistent 2 way play. Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Bournival would be a much better 200ft line.

The other issue is that he's really hindering that line - Eller's line is the only one we can count on for consistent 2 way play. Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Bournival would be a much better 200ft line.

I agree. It's what i was alluding to regarding neutralizing one of our lines.

Agree with this 100%. Galchenyuk looked pretty damn good for his first game back and Bournival has been skating well/really hustling.

Kovalev's a bad comparison, he was just streaky. There were games where he looked like the best player on the ice, games where he looked terrible but got points anyways, and games where he did absolutely nothing. Vanek has the latter 2 but not the first: he's had games where he's gotten multiple points, but has he ever been dominant on the ice? Kovalev was an overall skilled player, Vanek primarily just has a great shot.

Actually, Vanek has made some amazing passes while with the Habs. He does have good vision. Now he just needs to get his head into the game.

Well, against Boston, the first time he was used with Pleks they looked very good together, with Vanek setting Pleks up for a goal, and Pleks returning the favor, only to have Vanek hit the crossbar. They probably have slowed down due to Vanek's uninspired play lately.

This 100%.

Agree with this 100%. Galchenyuk looked pretty damn good for his first game back and Bournival has been skating well/really hustling.

At least we know we'd get good hustle and energy from both of them! Not sure what Vanek will bring.....and by the time we do know (well into the game), it would be too late to change it then.

Just Brilliant... Therrien's domaine. This may actually make the 4th line even less effective.

Thing is though, if the top 3 become more effective & we roll them more, like we're likely to, then its not a horrible idea. Part of me wants to (ive even suggested it) scratch vanek, but what if we do & fire blanks on the PP all night? Would we be second-guessing our decision? This way he is still available if necessary but he's shown that he if he wants to play with the top lines, he needs to show more effort. He doesnt have to score but 1 shot in 2 losses is not ok.