The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Thomas Vanek

Good!!!

I just read an interesting article on Vanek, whith the piece leaning towards him being hurt. Here's the essence of it:

" In the six games prior to Game 3 against Boston, Vanek averaged 2.33 shots per game in the post-season. His playoff average coming into this season was 2.28. His regular season average is 2.84.

In the six games since Game 3 against Boston he’s averaged 1.16 shots.

There’s a pretty clear statistical divide following that game, and it isn’t just shots.

In the six games prior to Game 3 he averaged a Corsi for percentage of 52.3%. Since, he’s posted a 36.3%. Say what you like about Tampa, but I don't think they account for a swing like that on their own.

He’s gone from three goals and two assists in six games to two goals and no assists over over the same span, and if you’ll recall, his two-goal performance (since Game 3) came in Game 6 on a backhand chip into an open net on the powerplay, and an empty netter."

During Game 3,,,this happened. If you recall, PK tried to hit Smith, and accidently hit Vanek as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqk8M5hkZmQ

"That collision with P.K. Subban and Reilly Smith took him to the dressing room, taking his ice down to 11:42 for that night. Subban’s leg wrapped around his torso, he twisted, and fell on his shoulder and elbow. Basically, I’d call the brunt of the blow “upper body,” which would limit your ability to shoot, among other things."

Could be he's injured from that collision.

Guest mrsmarkov

I'd actually love to see Vanek play with Briere. I'd be interested in seeing if they still have Sabres chemistry. It's worth a try.

There's a definite chance Vanek is injured, with that Subban hit being the most likely culprit. It's not only that he hasn't produced, but he's also passing up clear shots as if he knows he can't get his release going fast enough. It's possible it's a mental thing and a lack of confidence, but looking at performance and circumstances, he's one of the guys you have to consider is playing hurt. To me, Plekanec since Game 6-7 against Boston has also looked off, and Prust has been hit or miss since the start of the playoffs. It's always interesting to find out after the playoffs are done who was playing with what, and until then, I don't think we should be jumping to any conclusions about whether Vanek is worthy of another contract here. A lot of people have written him off, but he's been a pretty decent playoff performer in the past and his scoring rate this year was more than acceptable, despite playing on three different teams and having a slight 5-6 game dip upon being traded each time. Yes, his performance raises doubt going forward, but if we find out he's been playing through a separated shoulder or torn wrist ligament or something of that nature, then there's really no reason we shouldn't be looking to sign him in the off-season. Even if he's not hurt, a contract offer is still worth it IMO. Maybe I wouldn't go 7-8 years any more, but 4 years at 30M for example is still a reasonable offer and he might not get another offer as lucrative from another team if they too have been watching the playoffs. I just hate all the talk from CBC and TSN about Vanek's head being in Minnesota and that he doesn't want to play in the rough areas because he wants to stay healthy for a new contract... Vanek has never been a guy to seek out physical play, although he can tolerate it just fine and I didn't hear anyone talking about his hiding from effort in the regular season. If anything, the guy would want to turn it on in the playoffs when all eyes are on him in order to get a better deal, so the CBC theory is hogwash if you ask me.

There's a definite chance Vanek is injured, with that Subban hit being the most likely culprit. It's not only that he hasn't produced, but he's also passing up clear shots as if he knows he can't get his release going fast enough. It's possible it's a mental thing and a lack of confidence, but looking at performance and circumstances, he's one of the guys you have to consider is playing hurt. To me, Plekanec since Game 6-7 against Boston has also looked off, and Prust has been hit or miss since the start of the playoffs. It's always interesting to find out after the playoffs are done who was playing with what, and until then, I don't think we should be jumping to any conclusions about whether Vanek is worthy of another contract here. A lot of people have written him off, but he's been a pretty decent playoff performer in the past and his scoring rate this year was more than acceptable, despite playing on three different teams and having a slight 5-6 game dip upon being traded each time. Yes, his performance raises doubt going forward, but if we find out he's been playing through a separated shoulder or torn wrist ligament or something of that nature, then there's really no reason we shouldn't be looking to sign him in the off-season. Even if he's not hurt, a contract offer is still worth it IMO. Maybe I wouldn't go 7-8 years any more, but 4 years at 30M for example is still a reasonable offer and he might not get another offer as lucrative from another team if they too have been watching the playoffs. I just hate all the talk from CBC and TSN about Vanek's head being in Minnesota and that he doesn't want to play in the rough areas because he wants to stay healthy for a new contract... Vanek has never been a guy to seek out physical play, although he can tolerate it just fine and I didn't hear anyone talking about his hiding from effort in the regular season. If anything, the guy would want to turn it on in the playoffs when all eyes are on him in order to get a better deal, so the CBC theory is hogwash if you ask me.

Contract talks aside, if he is playing hurt then he is dragging this team down and needs to sit.

Even if he's hurt, put him on the 4th line and let him deflect pucks in on the PP (which may end up being the plan tonight). He's probably too good to scratch outright unless he's really hurt bad.

Agreed. I dont think it makes any sense (especially when we're not scoring) to scratch arguably our most potent offensive weapon. At very least putting him on the 4th and the PP makes sense.

I dont love the idea of putting him on the 4th and bumping the other RW's up (Gio goes to plekanec & weiss goes to eller). What about:

DD-Patches-Gallagher

Bournival - Plekanec - Gio

Bourque - Eller - Vanek

We havent really tried Vanek with Eller & those are 3 big bodies who could be hard to contain. I mean Ideally, I dont touch either the Eller or the DD lines but I understand the need to get more out of the plekanec line obviously and Pleks-Gio has always worked in the past.

Will be interesting to see what MT comes up with. Id be pretty surprised if Vanek is scratched.

Pros: Got an assist on the Briere goal.

Cons: Still looked slow, invisible, and unengaged for long stretches.

Does this guy even know what hard work means? I might go so far as to say the first goal was his fault, his backcheck was so ridiculously slow and lazy.

I just don't see how we can talk about scratching Vanek. Do you really think he brings less to a game than, say, Prust? He's not been great, I agree, but he's still a guy who can grab a goal out of nowhere. That's not something that we can say with over half of our lineup.

He's been put on the fourth line -Therrien's already got him on notice. He knows that he need to be better. But he's not going to play any better from the press box.

I just don't see how we can talk about scratching Vanek. Do you really think he brings less to a game than, say, Prust? He's not been great, I agree, but he's still a guy who can grab a goal out of nowhere. That's not something that we can say with over half of our lineup.

He's been put on the fourth line -Therrien's already got him on notice. He knows that he need to be better. But he's not going to play any better from the press box.

The issue i've had with Vanek's play is that it has completely neutralized his line as a whole. He showed some signs of life last night in the later part of the game but still short of what we need from him. You can't help but think Bourny would have been the better option the first 3 games. The fact that he can be a game breaker at any time is the only reason he's still in the lineup. It's like a game of Russian roulette. You never know when the bullet will leave the chamber.

The issue i've had with Vanek's play is that it has completely neutralized his line as a whole. He showed some signs of life last night in the later part of the game but still short of what we need from him. You can't help but think Bourny would have been the better option the first 3 games. The fact that he can be a game breaker at any time is the only reason he's still in the lineup. It's like a game of Russian roulette. You never know when the bullet will leave the chamber.

I do think that Bournival should have played, I just don't think that it should be at the expense of Vanek. As they often say, in order to win in a seven game series you eventually need for your best players to be your best players. Vanek is one of our best players, and if we can get him going then it will be worth a lot more to us than what just about anyone else on this roster can bring.

Guest mrsmarkov

His attitude bothers me. He doesn't even seem to care. It's like he's waiting for the season to be over so he can sign with the team he wants. This doesn't mean I think he should be scratched or anything to the extreme...I just want more passion out of the guy.

Guest mrsmarkov

Pros: Got an assist on the Briere goal.

Cons: Still looked slow, invisible, and unengaged for long stretches.

Does this guy even know what hard work means? I might go so far as to say the first goal was his fault, his backcheck was so ridiculously slow and lazy.

THIS!

Notwithstanding his goal assist, if I were MT, I would gamble on benching Vanek and putting Bournival back in his place.

Can't have a passenger coasting along for most parts of the game.

You know I think I would possibly gamble on that too. He thinks he's untouchable and that's a horrible attitude to have. Scratching him could be just what the doctor ordered in order to make him play like the Vanek he is known to be.

This is the worst time for that....too much of a gamble. As much as I don't want him scratched due to that very reason, I think he needs to be scratched to fire him up. Decisions, decisions...

Guest habs1952

You know I think I would possibly gamble on that too. He thinks he's untouchable and that's a horrible attitude to have. Scratching him could be just what the doctor ordered in order to make him play like the Vanek he is known to be.

This is the worst time for that....too much of a gamble. As much as I don't want him scratched due to that very reason, I think he needs to be scratched to fire him up. Decisions, decisions...

I'd rather lose with players giving an all out effort rather than waiting to see if Vanek is gonna perform. If we lose and Vanek under performs, hindsight is gonna say Vanek should have been press boxed.

Guest mrsmarkov

I'd rather lose with players giving an all out effort rather than waiting to see if Vanek is gonna perform. If we lose and Vanek under performs, hindsight is gonna say Vanek should have been press boxed.

That is true. I'm making the "Bench Vanek" shirts!

I dunno. Vanek at 60% brings more to your team than Ryan White at 100%.

He's certainly been disappointing but I don't think there's much benefit from benching him. Even not scoring he requires attention from the other team which is a good thing.

Guest habs1952

We're approaching the threshold of that interval where Vanek probably scores 2 goals tonight and everyone's happy again. We'll see posts like "In Bergevin we trust" or "Best deadline acquisition ever!" Then he might look disinterested for a few more games. :lol:

It shouldn't even come to that. Vanek should be in the pressbox.

Is this seriously the guy the Oilers were willing to give up 4 first rounders for?

to take a quote from hockeyinsideout

"Blame it on Thomas Vanek, who has never been this close to a Stanley Cup and is doing nothing to get closer. "

I really don't think his decision making on the ice would have anything to do with whether he's injured, or if he's in some kind of "slump." The guy either simply does not care about helping the Habs win, or has some ulterior motive that's even worse. Either way, it's unacceptable. Shame on him, but shame on the coaching staff to just continue to put him in and watch him literally pass the Conference Championship to the opposition's tape.

Brings to mind the great quote from coach Herb Brooks: "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones."