The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Thomas Vanek

Yeeaaaahhhhhh. I'd consider removing him from the lineup. It's been mentioned on here a lot. I think it might be time. If he's injured, it's making him largely ineffective. If he's just slumping, well... JEEZ. It's a bad, bad slump.

Agreed.

I was shocked to see his name on the score sheet

I think MT should still take the gamble and replace him with another player. Maybe re-phrase that: slot another player into the DD line and put in White/Moen in the 4th line.

All series long, we've been patiently waiting and waiting....hoping for his one moment of brilliance to overshadow all his disappearing acts.

But this is crunch time. A few assists here and there, but we need more.

Guest mrsmarkov

I don't even want to waste my breath anymore....

I dunno. Vanek at 60% brings more to your team than Ryan White at 100%.

He's certainly been disappointing but I don't think there's much benefit from benching him. Even not scoring he requires attention from the other team which is a good thing.

Disagree. White actually wants to play, he enjoys being here and is a ball of energy. Vanek basically just stands there now.......no passion wont score us goals.

We're approaching the threshold of that interval where Vanek probably scores 2 goals tonight and everyone's happy again. We'll see posts like "In Bergevin we trust" or "Best deadline acquisition ever!" Then he might look disinterested for a few more games. :lol:

He's slowly turning into the new Bourque.

It shouldn't even come to that. Vanek should be in the pressbox.

Exactly. Suit up a guy who actually wants to play and win!

Is this seriously the guy the Oilers were willing to give up 4 first rounders for?

Damn....wow those Oilers have lost their mind.

Guest mrsmarkov

Bye Bye Thomas!

Nananana nananana hey hey hey goodbye!

I really don't think his decision making on the ice would have anything to do with whether he's injured, or if he's in some kind of "slump." The guy either simply does not care about helping the Habs win, or has some ulterior motive that's even worse. Either way, it's unacceptable. Shame on him, but shame on the coaching staff to just continue to put him in and watch him literally pass the Conference Championship to the opposition's tape.

Brings to mind the great quote from coach Herb Brooks: "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones."

Bless you Rick, this is exactly how I feel about Vanek.

I was shocked to see his name on the score sheet

That makes two of us.

Guest mrsmarkov

Yeah, I don't see him coming back and I'm not entirely sure I'd want him. Not for 8 million anyway.

Well said. While watching him play that's all I'd yell at the TV, "Mr. I'm worth 8 million, eh!" Not happy with this guy at all. He is not the same player I loved so much when he was a Sabre. Where on earth is the passion?

Well said. While watching him play that's all I'd yell at the TV, "Mr. I'm worth 8 million, eh!" Not happy with this guy at all. He is not the same player I loved so much when he was a Sabre. Where on earth is the passion?

I still have a feeling he was hurt. He would bail on pucks when he was about to get hit, and seemed alot slower than usual. If this is the case, I'd make him an offer (again, not for 8 million) but if not, don't even bother.

Guest mrsmarkov

I still have a feeling he was hurt. He would bail on pucks when he was about to get hit, and seemed alot slower than usual. If this is the case, I'd make him an offer (again, not for 8 million) but if not, don't even bother.

You know I never believed all the hype of him being injured, but the way you put it, you may be right.

I'm not questioning whether he's still talented, of coarse he is. My problem is that he doesn't have the right attitude. If you don't have the right attitude it will show in how a player produces. He just didn't ever actually look happy here.

If he was so hurt that he couldn't even shoot the puck then that's just as bad as him coasting through the playoffs. Players should be able to know the point where they're so hurt that they're also hurting the team.

Guest mrsmarkov

If he was so hurt that he couldn't even shoot the puck then that's just as bad as him coasting through the playoffs. Players should be able to know the point where they're so hurt that they're also hurting the team.

This is true. This is why I still believe he wasn't injured. He'd only be a fool to be out there all banged up. I'm still sticking with him just not caring at all.

I agree, but if that's the case, a good amount of blame should be going to the training and medical staff for allowing him to play and MT for continuing to put him in the lineup. Maybe the logic was "he is good at deflecting pucks on the PP so it's better we have him play hurt than not play". Who knows. But I agree, he was frustrating to watch for most of the post season.

Guest mrsmarkov

I am sure he enjoyed watching the games. If he as injured you think we would have heard something by now.

Right, "injured" :rolleyes:.

Guest habs1952

I am sure he enjoyed watching the games. If he as injured you think we would have heard something by now.

He wasn't injured, just in a snit after being taken off the DD and Patches line.

From TSN

Vanek insists he wasn't injured in the playoffs, but said he struggled once he was taken off the top unit with David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty.

"I thought we were one of the best lines," he said. "Once I got taken off, I just struggled to find myself on a new line.

"I played with (Tomas Plekanec) most of the playoffs and it just didn't work. We're both, I believe, very good players, we're just not on the same page. It's just a different game."

funny I remember him struggling before he got pulled from that line....

BIngo. The line wasn't broken up because it was doing well. It was not effective & thus broken up...

He had time with every centre on our roster during the most important time of year and couldn't get anything done with any of them. Its certainly not inconceivable that if he could have just popped a goal or 2 more in the NY series we wouldn't still be playing tonight...

BIngo. The line wasn't broken up because it was doing well. It was not effective & thus broken up...

He had time with every centre on our roster during the most important time of year and couldn't get anything done with any of them. Its certainly not inconceivable that if he could have just popped a goal or 2 more in the NY series we wouldn't still be playing tonight...

But has he actually been that bad? I just never got the big deal with how he was playing poorly. He scored as many goals as Max while he was here (only had 1 less assist too), but only one of those players "didn't care". I know that Max was helpful in other ways, but I just don't get the big deal.

We could have gotten a goal or 2 more from any player and the series would be different. Take out game 5, and basically none of the players on this team stepped up except for Tokarski. But only 1 of them gets throttled by fans for not caring.

Guest mrsmarkov

He wasn't injured, just in a snit after being taken off the DD and Patches line.

From TSN

Vanek insists he wasn't injured in the playoffs, but said he struggled once he was taken off the top unit with David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty.

"I thought we were one of the best lines," he said. "Once I got taken off, I just struggled to find myself on a new line.

"I played with (Tomas Plekanec) most of the playoffs and it just didn't work. We're both, I believe, very good players, we're just not on the same page. It's just a different game."

All I hear is a bunch of whining. He struggled beforehand. But sure, sure Vanek, whatever helps you sleep at night.

But has he actually been that bad? I just never got the big deal with how he was playing poorly. He scored as many goals as Max while he was here (only had 1 less assist too), but only one of those players "didn't care". I know that Max was helpful in other ways, but I just don't get the big deal.

We could have gotten a goal or 2 more from any player and the series would be different. Take out game 5, and basically none of the players on this team stepped up except for Tokarski. But only 1 of them gets throttled by fans for not caring.

Vanek appeared to be less involved in the play, but your point still stands. We knew ahead of time that Vanek wasn't the type of player who was going to look like he was skating laps around other guys. He's never been that player and at this age, never will be. He's a guy who can score and score in bunches, and like most snipers, he's going to go through hot and cold streaks. It's just unfortunate that he hit a really cold one at the wrong time. No, he didn't deliver in the Bos or NY series, but at the same time, what I don't like about the kick-him-to-the-curb viewpoint is that the sample size on that is so small. For his career, he's put up 20 goals in 53 playoff games, which is not elite but not shabby either. Was his performance any worse than Plekanec's in the last two series? Was it any worse than Desharnais, who put up fewer points in the same number of games and had more ice time? Or Pacioretty, like you mentioned...

Like many, I wasn't pleased with the production we got from Vanek, and you need to get goals from a player who isn't there to play defence or throw big hits. But as I said, to write him off as having no value going forward is a bit of a stretch, and we really have no one to replace him if we let him walk. I wouldn't give him the 50M contract he was being offered earlier this year, but he's still a guy worth bringing back on a lesser term if he's willing to accept that.

I think it was worse because he was a defensive liability and was making Bourque at his worst look good. I have no problem with slumps, but if you are taking ten second shifts and not moving your legs to create space out there that is different. As for the kick to the curb part Therrien showed some class by not benching him. This is professional sports and when I see players go through the motions they often need help with other issues. I wish him all the best. Perhaps the let down is from hoping he'd shine and we could keep him around for a while, but that thought has long since passed. Good luck Thomas.

I think it was worse because he was a defensive liability and was making Bourque at his worst look good. I have no problem with slumps, but if you are taking ten second shifts and not moving your legs to create space out there that is different. As for the kick to the curb part Therrien showed some class by not benching him. This is professional sports and when I see players go through the motions they often need help with other issues. I wish him all the best. Perhaps the let down is from hoping he'd shine and we could keep him around for a while, but that thought has long since passed. Good luck Thomas.

Emotional post Habberwacky, but its not completely out of the question that he resigns!!

He had some good games, its just a matter of, will the good out weigh the bad for Vaneks side and for ours.