The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Thomas Vanek

Guest mrsmarkov

I don't blame Minnesota for being wary but, let's be serious, he's going to get offers. They might not be of the "laughing-on-the-way-to-the-bank" sort he was hoping for but he didn't do himself any favours.

It should be interesting to see what happens with him. Teams looking for the floor might throw a large amount at him whereas more 'contending' teams might be more reluctant to break the bank but will throw something his way, for sure.

Wherever he chooses to go will, in my opinion, say a lot about what he wants. There will be money and there will be potential to chase the Cup or maybe he'll choose a balance and roll the dice.

Once the market opens up, it's really anyone's game.

Well there's certainly no question, he will definitely get offers. I agree with you when it comes down to the kind of offers he will receive. I believe teams that are desperate are going to offer him exactly what he wants, but contending teams will offer a reasonable contract. Either way he will get paid. Either way I see the guy delivering in the upcoming season because he will have more of a choice where he goes. Maybe not the exact team he wants, but he will have options to choose from. The real Vanek will come out because he will actually be happy where he's playing because he chose the team.

I don't blame Minnesota for being wary but, let's be serious, he's going to get offers. They might not be of the "laughing-on-the-way-to-the-bank" sort he was hoping for but he didn't do himself any favours.

All the more reason why MB should offer him a 1 year deal for $8m or something. Let him build his value back up and then he can get his big payday next summer but I dont see it happening.

Guest habs1952

All the more reason why MB should offer him a 1 year deal for $8m or something. Let him build his value back up and then he can get his big payday next summer but I dont see it happening.

I don't think I could stomach another playoff round with Vanek in the lineup.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know that that's a smart move, UNLESS we replace him with someone else. I'm not confident going into next season with Bourque or Briere on the 2nd line. As an aside, the rumor out of Minnesota is that they don't want to offer a long-term deal because they feel they'll need the cap space in a couple of years to re-up their youngsters. Suggestion is that they may only offer Vanek 2-3 years, which is something we could easily do too. If Vanek wants 7-8 years, then by all means feel free to pass; but if MB isn't even bothering to look into a short term deal, then that's NOT a smart move.

I don't know that that's a smart move, UNLESS we replace him with someone else. I'm not confident going into next season with Bourque or Briere on the 2nd line. As an aside, the rumor out of Minnesota is that they don't want to offer a long-term deal because they feel they'll need the cap space in a couple of years to re-up their youngsters. Suggestion is that they may only offer Vanek 2-3 years, which is something we could easily do too. If Vanek wants 7-8 years, then by all means feel free to pass; but if MB isn't even bothering to look into a short term deal, then that's NOT a smart move.

Much rather go after Iginla for a couple of years.

Much rather go after Iginla for a couple of years.

I'm fine with that too, but that fulfills the "unless" I posted above. The concern I have is if we ditch Vanek and then forge ahead with no replacement. Unlike two years ago, where we had Gallagher and Galchenyuk able to step in, we don't have anyone in the pipeline ready for next season.

I'm fine with that too, but that fulfills the "unless" I posted above. The concern I have is if we ditch Vanek and then forge ahead with no replacement. Unlike two years ago, where we had Gallagher and Galchenyuk able to step in, we don't have anyone in the pipeline ready for next season.

I think I agree with both of you: I definitely don't want Vanek for 5+ years, but 2 or 3 is okay... but I'd still rather Iginla for 2 or 3. Every time I punch the numbers into capgeek it looks like we will have 6-7 million available IF we don't sign Gionta... to me signing Gionta means we don't sign any high end players players, of course there still might be a trade but not through UFA market.

He has said he would like to remain a Bruin.

Stupid is as stupid does. <_<

On edit, from TSN:

The Boston Bruins are still working on a new contract for pending free agent Jarome Iginla, but are prepared for the possibility that he'll go elsewhere come July 1.

Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli held court with reporters on Friday before the NHL draft, saying the front office is still talking to Iginla about returning next season.

"Jarome wants to stay and we're trying to find a spot for him," he said. "We're both big boys. If we can't, we can't, but certainly we're both trying to work at it."

Several reports have indicated that the Bruins are up against the cap for next season and have had difficulty trying to fit a deal for Iginla under the ceiling for next season.

He has said he would like to remain a Bruin.

He might like to, but the Bruins will have to shed salary or else Iginla will need to take another one-year deal with bonus clauses to make his salary. Might not end up being his first choice.

I'm not sure we can afford him without moving players though. We have about 17.5k in salary cap space, let's assume Subban gets 8-9k, Eller gets 3-4k, White gets 750k, and we fill the 7th dman slot with someone making 1k. Even on the low-end of those numbers, you only have about 5k for Vanek, and that would put us right up against the cap (which can potentially interfere with short-term injury callups, ability to make a deadline deal, etc.).

Even worse, we have Galchenyk, Gallagher, Bournival, Tinordi, and Beau as RFAs the next summer: at least both Gally's will be in for a decent raise, the others will depend on what sort of season they have. Brierre and Budaj should about 5 million in cap relief. The cap may rise, but no guarantees. Having a Vanek contract on the books could really limit our options that summer.

There's simply no room for him. We could offer him 1 year at 4 million, or longer-term at 3 million or something, but what's the point?

Galchenyuk already takes up 3+mil of the cap, he's not getting much of a raise. I don't think any of them will get more than a 2-3mil bridge deal. The cap is pretty much guaranteed to rise, and with the Rogers deal, more than usual.

I'm not advocating signing Vanek though. Bergevin has said he will not be back so it doesn't really matter anymore. I really want a replacement though. Iginla, Hemsky, Michalek etc.

Also, if we do end up trading Gorges, that would be a bunch of cap space(although it depends on the return).

Galchenyuk already takes up 3+mil of the cap, he's not getting much of a raise. I don't think any of them will get more than a 2-3mil bridge deal. The cap is pretty much guaranteed to rise, and with the Rogers deal, more than usual.

Galchenyk only takes up 1 million of cap space in the numbers I was stating (if we include potential cap hit of bonuses, we actually only have 14k in cap space this year). Since a lot of the bonuses are from from automatic and if we go over can shift them to next year, I prefer using the numbers that ignore the bonuses.

I imagine Gallagher will be getting a 1.5 to to 2.5 million raise, Galchenyk will be getting anywhere from a 1 million to 3 million raise on his base salary (but losing the bonuses) depending how he does this season. Bournival probably won't get much. I expect one of Tinordi or Beau to break out and demand an extra million or so.

The cap will probably rise, but I'm not sure it's guaranteed. You're correct the Rogers deal should help though.

It will probably be okay, I'm just a bit reluctant to get another multi-year 4+ million deal on the books beyond Subban and Eller.

In hind sight the Vanek trade did not work out even for the short run, however, these types of trades can always be gambles sometimes they work and sometimes they do not. Vanek seemed to play well for us once he was climatized to the team, then playoffs came and he disappeared? This guy was suppose to be an allstar and you could tell he had all the skills that we needed however, he just did not work hard enough come playoff time. Prehaps it was all those years in a non playoff team that hurt him. On the other hand I think part of the responsibility has to be shared by Therrien for putting him on Plekanec's line. When he first was acquired that is the line that he was put on and you could tell from the start he had no chemisty with them, then they put him on Pacioretty's line and he started to produce. I do not think he was given enough time come playoff time to make that adjustment, but they might as well made him a healthy scratch than play him on Plekanec's line. I wish we had not made the trade now because we probably lose Brendan Lemieux or another character player by trading our second round draft pick. Too bad he did not work out because if he had I think we could have signed him.

Guest mrsmarkov

When he first put on the Wild jersey he looked like a lil boy on Christmas morning.. <_<. I didn't even know he knew how to smile..you learn new things every day. I'm so glad he's gone, I never liked his attitude at all.

• 1 year later...

Kind of happy we didn't spend the huge dollars and term it would have taken to sign this guy.

Thomas Vanek and Jason Zucker - The struggling Wild made this pair of scoring wingers healthy scratches for Saturday's 4-1 loss at St. Louis. Vanek had no goals (one assist) with six shots on goal in his previous eight games. Zucker had no goals (one assist) with 20 shots on goal in his previous 11 games.