The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Thomas Vanek

Guest mrsmarkov

Can you source that? I'm not doubting you, I'd just like to read it.

Pierre LeBrun has a quick one-timer for us on Thomas Vanek.

LeBrun: Vanek is obviously loving his time in Montreal so far but I spoke with his agent Steve Bartlett earlier on Tuesday who said the plan has not deviated. They told the Sabres last summer that they're going to July 1. They told the Islanders after he got traded that it's going to July 1 and that remains the plan right now.

Let's see if a little playoff magic might change his mind.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=447375

LeBrun: Vanek is obviously loving his time in Montreal so far but I spoke with his agent Steve Bartlett earlier on Tuesday who said the plan has not deviated. They told the Sabres last summer that they're going to July 1. They told the Islanders after he got traded that it's going to July 1 and that remains the plan right now.

Aha. Well, I wouldn't have phrased that the way you did, but I see now.

From the sound of that, though, I still think an 8-year contract could sway his opinion. There aren't a lot of good teams out there that can give him the kind of money in 7 years we could in 8. It's just the dregs of the league that could match it, and if he's interested in playing relevant hockey that shouldn't be that interesting.

Guest mrsmarkov

Aha. Well, I wouldn't have phrased that the way you did, but I see now.

From the sound of that, though, I still think an 8-year contract could sway his opinion. There aren't a lot of good teams out there that can give him the kind of money in 7 years we could in 8. It's just the dregs of the league that could match it, and if he's interested in playing relevant hockey that shouldn't be that interesting.

Honestly I've been following Vanek for years and he has no interest in the price tag or if the team he plays for is a contending team. He just wants to go to a team that will suit his lifestyle.

Honestly I've been following Vanek for years and he has no interest in the price tag or if the team he plays for is a contending team. He just wants to go to a team that will suit his lifestyle.

I disagree everyone has a price. Do you really think he would turn down top dollar and a chance to win a cup for his retirement home. But who knows I guess if he signs in minisotta for under 7 million its obvious he didn't care about money. I think you'll see the team willing to pay closer to 8 million for 5+ years get him.

Hometown might be important to some players, although I often times think that motivation comes from the players' wives/families more than anything else. To me, these are guys who by the time they hit free agency have been away from their homes for 10-15 years. I'm sure Vanek is accustomed to living elsewhere and just going home to Minnesota during the off-season. If you look at our current roster, Carey chose to sign here long-term despite being a BC boy. Pacioretty didn't opt to go and play for New York. Markov could have gone back to the KHL or gone to play with his buddy Ovi in Washington. And Cammalleri signed here long-term over his hometown of Toronto. So while Minnesota definitely gets a leg up for being his city of choice, I would have to guess there are other factors that play into players decisions. It will come down to whether a chance at a Cup or a guarantee of more money or more term is worth more to Vanek.

Guest mrsmarkov

Hometown might be important to some players, although I often times think that motivation comes from the players' wives/families more than anything else. To me, these are guys who by the time they hit free agency have been away from their homes for 10-15 years. I'm sure Vanek is accustomed to living elsewhere and just going home to Minnesota during the off-season. If you look at our current roster, Carey chose to sign here long-term despite being a BC boy. Pacioretty didn't opt to go and play for New York. Markov could have gone back to the KHL or gone to play with his buddy Ovi in Washington. And Cammalleri signed here long-term over his hometown of Toronto. So while Minnesota definitely gets a leg up for being his city of choice, I would have to guess there are other factors that play into players decisions. It will come down to whether a chance at a Cup or a guarantee of more money or more term is worth more to Vanek.

As much as what you're saying makes sense, Vanek isn't like most players. You can even tell there's something different about him just by the way he presents himself and talks. He's going to do what he wants to do and that's going to Minnesota. Your example of the players chosen isn't fair in any way. You can't exactly compare Price and Marky to this situation. One Vanek is from Austria, so it's not like he actually had a hometown team to root for in the NHL and it's not exactly like he was ever passionate about a team he's every played for. Price was born a Habs fan regardless of where he was born and I'm positive that he would never want to go elsewhere. Marky was drafted by the Habs and has been with Montreal for way over a decade. He has a passion for the team he plays for regardless of how quiet he is, you just know it. He has no desire to ever play for another team and Ovi would never be able to persuade him. It's quite obvious where his loyalty lies and Montreal has become a second home to him. This is where he's the most comfortable and you can tell that he has every desire to win a cup with the Habs and retire as a Hab. You're not going to be seeing an Alfie walk from Marky.

Sure I hope you're all right and prove me wrong that Vanek will sign with us, but I just don't see it. His attitude says it all, despite how early it still is. Only a blind person wouldn't notice that he has no desire to stay here, he definitely isn't happy. He's just making due with what he has at the moment. Honestly the only chance I see him even possibly staying is if we make it really far in the playoffs. I've followed him since he first broke out in the NHL and he has made it clear for a while that he wants out and will do what's best for him and his family.

Sidney Crosby was a big Habs fan growing up, but he chose to stay in Pittsburhg long-term. Lots of people thought Brad Richards wanted to go to Toronto, but when it came down to choosing a team, money talked and he opted for the Rangers. I'm not saying that the same will hold true for Vanek by any means. He may very well end up choosing family reasons above all else, but all I'm saying is that we really have no confirmation of this from Vanek himself. All we know is that he wants to know his options and test the market come July 1st. But Minnesota is only informed speculation at this point, not more.

Sidney Crosby was a big Habs fan growing up, but he chose to stay in Pittsburhg long-term. Lots of people thought Brad Richards wanted to go to Toronto, but when it came down to choosing a team, money talked and he opted for the Rangers. I'm not saying that the same will hold true for Vanek by any means. He may very well end up choosing family reasons above all else, but all I'm saying is that we really have no confirmation of this from Vanek himself. All we know is that he wants to know his options and test the market come July 1st. But Minnesota is only informed speculation at this point, not more.

And i still stand by the far that if we somehow manage to go deep in the playoffs, our chances of resigning him go up exponentially.

Mind you, if MB only wants to offer him 5 years or something, then our chances may be nil, no matter what.

I have to agree, if we're not going to give him more than 5 or 6 years we aren't signing him. Someone will give him a blank cheque, look at the lunacy around David Clarkson, and Vanek can actually play hockey.

This is why I'm thinking it'll take 64/8.

What else could he tell them? You suck and there's no way I want to play with you? Would the story be the same if he had been traded from Buffalo to one of the top teams? And of course the party line now is that the plan has not changed, it's the easiest statement to make.

It's weird - he looks like he has some sort of time dilation field working around him as he glides about, seeminlgy without much effort, but always seems to have so much time to glide about, control the puck, pick a pass or make space for a shot.

The guy defines what being "a natural" is. Not sure if he'll accept any new contract offer we make him, but it's good to see a pure talent like this in the CH after all those years being a pain in Sabres colours!

Guest habs1952

In my opinion, if the team (players/management) and the city (fans) make it an enjoyable place for Vanek to play he will stay providing contract talks are favorable to both sides. Speculation about him going to Minnesota is just that, speculation. Minnesota may not even want him or may not be able to afford him.

In my opinion, if the team (players/management) and the city (fans) make it an enjoyable place for Vanek to play he will stay providing contract talks are favorable to both sides. Speculation about him going to Minnesota is just that, speculation. Minnesota may not even want him or may not be able to afford him.

I would say that there's a 70-80% chance he will test FA. Yes I heard that his agent has said that he will, but where he goes all depends on how much he is offered, how long the term is, and by what team. There "might" be something else though. There might be the prospect of winning a cup, just look at Vinny and Iggy.

having lived for a long time in MTL. you can have a lot of fun there! ha! really though I think if he gets the term the money and the linemates he wants with a winning team and he has fun on the ice it will be tough for him to leave. he still has to get motivated to go out and play every night so if he gets all those things....

I think there is 100% chance he hits July 1 FA, but if we win it all a 95% chance he stays. You can knock 15% of for each round so if we leave in the first I believe it is 50-50 he stays. Of course I also give similar odds for us wanting to re-sign him if we don't get out of the first round.

Minnesota will have room to buy him up. They have Heatley coming off the books at 7.5M...

Guest mrsmarkov

Vanek seems to be settling in great. His attitude seems to have changed and actually looks incredibly happy. The joy in his face when Weaver scored was just great to see. He's definitely not a selfish player and is quite smart in so many ways. It's possible he may just come around and sign with us. I didn't think that would ever be possible, but it's looking good. I haven't seen him happy like this in a long while...but then again, he's use to playing on struggling teams.

yep this is the closest he has been to the top in a while! and playing on a very offensive line with some good talent around him in a city that has full stands almost everywhere they go is nice! must have sucked playing a buffalo- panthers game with the crickets in the stands! for a guy like him we find the money to sign him. if someone has to go... oh well, guys like this don't come around often you have to pay the price.

Guest mrsmarkov

yep this is the closest he has been to the top in a while! and playing on a very offensive line with some good talent around him in a city that has full stands almost everywhere they go is nice! must have sucked playing a buffalo- panthers game with the crickets in the stands! for a guy like him we find the money to sign him. if someone has to go... oh well, guys like this don't come around often you have to pay the price.

I agree completely. Players like him don't just fall onto our laps every day...or like ever. Take full advantage of this MB!!!