The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Thomas Vanek

If MB can't get a "term" deal I wonder if he would consider offering a short term one. Lets say we have a decent playoff run. What if he pulls a hossa? sign a one year deal (its not like he'll get a worse long-term deal next season) give it another shot with us & alongside DD and Patches potentially put up close to 'career' numbers.

It wouldn't be the first offer I make to him, but if I was Marc Bergevin and he rejected my initial offer, I might well try a 1 or 2 year deal to see if he bites.

Guest mrsmarkov

It's so nice seeing Vanek loosen up during the warmups and playing around with Pk and the Gally's by play fighting with them like they usually do. He doesn't appear as uptight anymore and that's great to see. He seems to be getting comfortable. We may just be able to convince him to stay. Here's to hoping and praying.

If MB can't get a "term" deal I wonder if he would consider offering a short term one. Lets say we have a decent playoff run. What if he pulls a hossa? sign a one year deal (its not like he'll get a worse long-term deal next season) give it another shot with us & alongside DD and Patches potentially put up close to 'career' numbers.

It wouldn't be the first offer I make to him, but if I was Marc Bergevin and he rejected my initial offer, I might well try a 1 or 2 year deal to see if he bites.

That might work. Honestly, I'm in favour of anything that keeps him here. I know I'm operating somewhat irrationally, but it's hard not to. I'm 26. I remember Cup 24... barely. 2010 was fun. But Vanek-Pacioretty is the most exciting offensive force in at least my adult life, if not my entire life. They're almost magical to watch out there. I want to see where this can take us.

Guest mrsmarkov

That might work. Honestly, I'm in favour of anything that keeps him here. I know I'm operating somewhat irrationally, but it's hard not to. I'm 26. I remember Cup 24... barely. 2010 was fun. But Vanek-Pacioretty is the most exciting offensive force in at least my adult life, if not my entire life. They're almost magical to watch out there. I want to see where this can take us.

No way. You're 26? I had to reread that. If only you knew how old I thought you were this entire time. Oh man :lol:.

No way. You're 26? I had to reread that. If only you knew how old I thought you were this entire time. Oh man :lol:.

No that is me...I am the old one..sigh. But I love it! Great memories (I have a good one..but it is short)...my hero Jean B. and Rocket et al... :rolleyes:

Young pup~! :)

Guest habs1952

No that is me...I am the old one..sigh. But I love it! Great memories (I have a good one..but it is short)...my hero Jean B. and Rocket et al... :rolleyes:

You may be an antique but at some point in time you were a young pup too.

Guest mrsmarkov

As long as you love it, that's all that matters :). You're a young pup at heart. I actually wish I was younger, so I can just imagine how I'm going to freak out when I'm a bit older. I'm turning 24 next month and I hate it. Just reminds me that in a blink of an eye I will be 30..scary thought. I guess it's a girl thing :lol:. I remember being 18 and I was like Omg I can't wait to be 21 <_<. I must have been out of my mind. I wish I was like eighteen. Where's a time machine? :lol: Oh the Rocket!! :D I know I was too young to actually see him play, but I was always fascinated by him when I was a little girl. I'd always carry around books of him and I even wrote book reports on him :lol:.

You may be an antique but at some point in time you were a young pup too.

Omg 52, you can't just go around calling people an antique. You're not exactly a baby cub my friend :P.

How about we just offer him the ridiculous 8 year deal and trade him after 3 or 4 seasons? I'm sure some general manager will take him when he's 33 or 34 if he's producing like he has been this season. Edmonton, perhaps!

I hear the Islanders might be looking for a star scoring forward :ph34r:

Guest mrsmarkov

I hear the Islanders might be looking for a star scoring forward :ph34r:

:lol:

How about we just offer him the ridiculous 8 year deal and trade him after 3 or 4 seasons? I'm sure some general manager will take him when he's 33 or 34 if he's producing like he has been this season. Edmonton, perhaps!

I agree.

Guest mrsmarkov

That'd be awesome. Trading him back to the Islanders in 2017 or something. :lol:

We can recycle him back :lol:. Sounds like a good deal to me.

IMO Vanek has lucked into something that can only benefit him if he stays. Star power in Montreal means more than the majority of other NHL markets in terms of exposure that translates into additional dollars. He has found instant chemistry with two players that are always garanteed top ice-time in the offensive zone and on the power-play. Montreal is a city with a european flavor and the brand is known almost everywhere the world over. He is dearly wanted by both the organization and the fans. Heck, even the PQ are no longer in power as the Liberals crushed them in the provincial election. He would likely be the highest paid player on the team if he chose to stay. A long-term deal is a given if he wants it. The Habs are a team on the rise and in the top third of the NHL.

I think it is becomign more realistic that he stays. This chemistry and recent dominance with DD and Pacioretty could go a long way. I think it might come down to this possible playoff run.

Also, with Minny acquiring Matt Moulson, if they decide they want to keep him they likely dont have room for Vanek.

Honestly, this is not a bad idea. If the short stint here is any indication, and we give him the ice time and linemates we've been giving him, he could potentially hit career numbers in one of his first couple of years. After years 3, 4 or 5 he would be slowing down but still have value to some Gm or other (you could likely get a high pick or prospect for him).

The only problem with the plan is that you have to be bold and smart enough to trade him while he's still playing relatively well and this is a very hard course of action for most GMs. The greats - Sam Pollock for example - would make a move like that but its risky & can cost a GM his job before the dust has settled (and we realize it wasnt a bad move etc).

What does everyone think the chances are of Vanek re-signing with the Habs?

What does everyone think the chances are of Vanek re-signing with the Habs?

IMHO impossible to tell until after the playoffs. Right now, I dont even think Vanek could tell you. If we go deep, I think our chances go up exponentially. If we lose early, he almost certainly walks.

How far do you think we need to make it in the playoffs for him to want to re=sign with us?

No obvious answers like win the cup

I think a player like Vanek can already see what the organization offers. Montreal is a great city, possibly the best hockey town on the planet, and the Habs are a playoff team with some world-class talent. He may already know whether he would entertain a generous offer from the Habs. That said, I'm sure he still would like to see what the market will bring from free agency.

The question remains about coaching. Does Vanek see the same things many fans on this forum claim to see regarding Therrien, and are those things so negative that they become deal-breakers in themselves? Or does Vanek realize that if he signs, it would no doubt be for a longer term than that of any faltering coach?

I think the reasons stemming from the "glory days" of the franchise are no longer relevant. The dozens of Stanley Cup banners and all those retired numbers don't translate to success today. But the team seems like it's becoming a real threat, even with its current shortcomings. In 2010, we rode a hot goaltender and had the leading goal-scorer in the playoffs and really made some noise by upsetting the top two seeds. Imagine if the team got on a run like that this season, only with Price in net and the likes of Vanek, Pacioretty and Subban leading the charge? Even though the dynasty days are long over, the next time the Habs win a Cup, the city, and the rest of the hockey world, will literally go bananas. (Hopefully, they fireproof all the police cars.)

I think a player like Vanek can already see what the organization offers. Montreal is a great city, possibly the best hockey town on the planet, and the Habs are a playoff team with some world-class talent. He may already know whether he would entertain a generous offer from the Habs. That said, I'm sure he still would like to see what the market will bring from free agency.

The question remains about coaching. Does Vanek see the same things many fans on this forum claim to see regarding Therrien, and are those things so negative that they become deal-breakers in themselves? Or does Vanek realize that if he signs, it would no doubt be for a longer term than that of any faltering coach?

I think the reasons stemming from the "glory days" of the franchise are no longer relevant. The dozens of Stanley Cup banners and all those retired numbers don't translate to success today. But the team seems like it's becoming a real threat, even with its current shortcomings. In 2010, we rode a hot goaltender and had the leading goal-scorer in the playoffs and really made some noise by upsetting the top two seeds. Imagine if the team got on a run like that this season, only with Price in net and the likes of Vanek, Pacioretty and Subban leading the charge? Even though the dynasty days are long over, the next time the Habs win a Cup, the city, and the rest of the hockey world, will literally go bananas. (Hopefully, they fireproof all the police cars.)

I doubt Vanek has any reason to dislike Therrien, so I don't see that as a deterent to him signing here.