#15 P.A. Parenteau

NewfoundlandHab

Nice! We got a player who's:

- younger

- bigger

- better stats over past two seasons

- plays a position we have more of a need for

- same cap hit

- signed for an extra year (arguably good or bad).

- and comes with a draft pick

What's the catch?

Thanks for Brierre's time here and waiving his NMC: a decent playoffs kept his time here from being a complete disaster, but this is clearly a good deal for us.

Nice! We got a player who's:

- younger

- bigger

- better stats over past two seasons

- plays a position we have more of a need for

- same cap hit

- signed for an extra year (arguably good or bad).

- and comes with a draft pick

What's the catch?

Thanks for Brierre's time here and waiving his NMC: a decent playoffs kept his time here from being a complete disaster, but this is clearly a good deal for us.

you said it! Signed for an extra year. It will likely be bad but all in all probably an okay move

Again, the PAP contract is not a concern at all. We have zero RW's in the pipeline ready to make the jump into the top 6, so this was an area of need, at least for the next two years. He's an offensive upgrade on Gionta, who's probably asking for a similar contract. And anyone better that we could have signed would likely be looking for more money or term. I see PAP and Moulson as being similar players, and Moulson's probably going to end up with 4 years at 4.5-5M a year. Hemsky has been rumored to be seeking 6M a year for 2-3 years minimum. If we had signed PAP as a UFA, this would have been the best we could have done on a contract: a reasonable two-year deal for a reasonable cap hit to a player who will only be 33-34 by the end of the deal. Hard to do better than that, and Bergevin dumped a player we weren't making use of and grabbed a pick as well. I just don't see a downside here.

Again, the PAP contract is not a concern at all. We have zero RW's in the pipeline ready to make the jump into the top 6, so this was an area of need, at least for the next two years. He's an offensive upgrade on Gionta, who's probably asking for a similar contract. And anyone better that we could have signed would likely be looking for more money or term. I see PAP and Moulson as being similar players, and Moulson's probably going to end up with 4 years at 4.5-5M a year. Hemsky has been rumored to be seeking 6M a year for 2-3 years minimum. If we had signed PAP as a UFA, this would have been the best we could have done on a contract: a reasonable two-year deal for a reasonable cap hit to a player who will only be 33-34 by the end of the deal. Hard to do better than that, and Bergevin dumped a player we weren't making use of and grabbed a pick as well. I just don't see a downside here.

Agreed, while next summer may be tight cap-wise (depending on if it rises or not); we needed to somehow make room for a RW anyways.

This. Although a 3rd of Bourque-Eller-PA sounds like it would be hard to contain (assuming Rene plays like he did the last part of the season!)

I don't see PAP on the 3rd line. I actually don't see Eller as a 3rd liner either. I think we're much better off using Plekanec with Bourque and Bournival as a 3rd trio and combining Galchenyuk, Eller, and PAP as a 2nd line.

From a Colorado perspective they may llok to buy out Briere (or traded for a late pick) if it gives them the dollars to sign Statsny and that may expalin why we also got a fifth. Taking on Parenteau's salary so it is easier to dump Briere's. evidence for this may be in the Gagner deal we saw ealier and the apparent belief that there wer no takers for Parenteau and his 8 Mil. If he doesn't work out Bergevin has got through the year with needed winger and will be able to buy him out to sign the RFA's next year or trade him to someone who needs to meet the cap. The player with the biggest value in this trade may be Statsny if it lets Colorado sign him.

From a Colorado perspective they may llok to buy out Briere (or traded for a late pick) if it gives them the dollars to sign Statsny and that may expalin why we also got a fifth. Taking on Parenteau's salary so it is easier to dump Briere's. evidence for this may be in the Gagner deal we saw ealier and the apparent belief that there wer no takers for Parenteau and his 8 Mil. If he doesn't work out Bergevin has got through the year with needed winger and will be able to buy him out to sign the RFA's next year or trade him to someone who needs to meet the cap. The player with the biggest value in this trade may be Statsny if it lets Colorado sign him.

Well Colorado doesn't really have anyone of value becoming a free agent next summer, so it's not like the one saved year makes any difference to them. It gives them 4M in space next year, but it doesn't help them this year with signing Stastny. Briere also has a 35+ contract, so they can't stash his contract in the minors or perform a straight buyout. Colorado has already announced they do not plan on buying out Briere, and I think the compliance buyout period is over or ending very shortly anyways. I think this just the case of Colorado not being a good fit for PAP and their preferring to buy cap flexibility next year rather than a specific player.

The buyout period ends today I believe. The math does not lie and you appear right I was thinking of the 8 mil (Parenteau over the 2 but it is 4 years for the buyout so no different). On its face I am not sure (other than saving 4 mil next year) why Colorado would do this. Perhaps we will find out during the regular season.

Bob Mckenzie(and others) have already said Colorado will not buy out Briere, and Renaud Lavoie reported that the Avs and Statsny couldn't work a deal and Stastny will hit the market. So you can throw that theory out the window.

Doesn't mean Stastny won't re-sign though, just as Gionta or Weaver or Bouillon could still end up here.

I don't see PAP on the 3rd line. I actually don't see Eller as a 3rd liner either. I think we're much better off using Plekanec with Bourque and Bournival as a 3rd trio and combining Galchenyuk, Eller, and PAP as a 2nd line.

You know i 100% agree with you, but I'm speaking based on what I expect MT to do.

Oh and FWIW, id do part of what you said & part of something else. Move DD & bring in one more top 9 winger (Bourque could play RW on the 3rd (ideal) or LW on the 2nd). Obviously if we could sign a guy like Iginla we could move things around, but I would really really like to go into next year with Galchenyuk-Eller-Plekanec as our 1 - 2 - 3 guys.

Patches - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Bourque/New Guy- Eller - PAP

Bournival - Plekanec - Bourque/NewGuy

Welcome onboard. Hope the new guy can be a Vanek-beater :) .

Well the expectation shouldn't be him playing better than Vanek, because Vanek was great until the playoffs. Vanek is definitely the better player.

The year Parenteau put up 43 points in 48 games he almost always played with Duchen and had an unsustainably high sh%, and the year he got 60 points in 80 games he played mostly with Tavares so we shouldn't expect those numbers from him. Last year his time was pretty evenly split between O'Reilly, Stastny, and Duchene and he put up 33 points in 55 games in an injury plagued year. So something like 50ish points should be the expectation from him which is pretty fair value for 4mil.

Guest mrsmarkov

I don't love it, nor do I hate it. Hopefully it works out. I'm sure he wont be a disaster, but it's all about if he fits well into the system and if he's liked by Therrien. This is just a situation of the Habs and Avs trading off the player that the coach never exactly favoured.This may work out great for both parties as long as they're utilized properly. I highly doubt the Avs will waste Briere and place him on the fourth line and as long as the Habs give P.A. his proper role then everything will be fine and dandy.

Parrosenteau

Easy fix for the equipment manager!

Haha he might need to the a stash then. Keep the other teams honest.

I'm happy with pap for briere. Pap fixes more problems then briere and should be more productive and might be a little bigger too ;). At 4m I would be happy with 50+ points. Seems possible specially if he play with max and dd

More and more I don't like this deal. We had extra 4 million to spend next year, maybe on a legit first line winger. Is he really THAT much better than Briere? He's better but not by much. He's just another "top 6" guy. We needed a first line winger.

Archived