The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jiri Sekac

Jiri barely touched the ice in the third. Is there any news. he seemed to be playing well in fact his line may have been the best.

We had the lead & the one aspect of Sekac's game that still needs polishing at the NHL level is his defensive play (he'll get there, no doubt, he just doesnt seem to always know where to "be" yet) so they played moen & such on that line for the 3rd. Im pretty sure there was no injury etc.

TVA reported that AK Bars Kazan, the richest club in the KHL, has acquired the rights to Sekac, who played the last three seasons in the KHL before signing with the Canadiens as a free agent during the summer.

Renaud Lavoie:

Jiri Sekac is still with MTL but Kazan is just getting ready in case the situation change.

TVA reported that AK Bars Kazan, the richest club in the KHL, has acquired the rights to Sekac, who played the last three seasons in the KHL before signing with the Canadiens as a free agent during the summer.
Renaud Lavoie:
Jiri Sekac is still with MTL but Kazan is just getting ready in case the situation change.

So we're about to lose the "sweepstakes" because Therrien refuses to play him anymore than 4th line minutes.

So we're about to lose the "sweepstakes" because Therrien refuses to play him anymore than 4th line minutes.

That would be really, really frustrating.

I'm not saying that he and Bournival need to play every game, but I don't know why we can't just go with a rotation of the likely suspects (those two, Moen, Prust, etc.). Especially now that we've pretty much had our butts handed to us in four straight games.

I just cant see MB letting that happen. He saw the potential in Sekac & offered appropriately. If anything, he (Sekac) looked even better than we could have hoped with no NHL experience.

you have to think that if there's any truth to this (beyond AK Bars just trying to play a hunch) that MB will step in and force Therrien's hand.

What is frustrating is that he shouldnt have to.

It makes absolutely no sense not to have him in the line up. We sign more puck possession players in order to play a more possession style game. Therrien then inserts Moen, Weise, AND prust in the lineup at the same time consistently.

I thought Franky B leaving would mean Therrien wouldn't overplay people who should be rotating with young kids. I was wrong.

Maybe Sekac isn't in the favourites' list??? :P

Seriously, Sekac should've been in instead of Bournival. Nothing against Bourny, but Sekac would make a bigger impact.

To a certain point, I agree, but the bottom line is that both players should have been in long ago. Bournival played well, he brought some speed and aggressive forechecking. Sekac shows good puck control and skating. Both are a step up on some of the other guys in the line-up.

the bottom line is that both players should have been in long ago. Bournival played well, he brought some speed and aggressive forechecking. Sekac shows good puck control and skating. Both are a step up on some of the other guys in the line-up.

This.

Moen, Prust, Weise - even Malholtra - all are single-facet players. Worse still, they are all older and on the decline. Sekac and Bournival are both more talented and younger (still room for improvement) and can do nearly anything tthose 4 can do with the potential to do it better.

I can see leaving Malholtra in: he's unbelievable on faceoffs and he's got extremely good vision still (helps with his positioning). And i can keeping one of Prust, Moen or Weise in (all three play a role well, are good defensively and can fight if necessary) but dressing all 3 over guys like Bournival or Sekac makes zero sense to me.

looks good out there penalty was a joke in my opinion. heck I hit guys harder than that in high school!

His hit was definitely a penalty. Not suspension-worthy, but definitely a penalty. That said, I agree with you that he looked good tonight. Skated well, carried the puck well, used his size to go to the net. He could be a good complement to the DD-Pacioretty duo.

His hit was definitely a penalty. Not suspension-worthy, but definitely a penalty. That said, I agree with you that he looked good tonight. Skated well, carried the puck well, used his size to go to the net. He could be a good complement to the DD-Pacioretty duo.

Yup... he's a player that can help in a top-six role IMO. But seeing as he had a hard time getting into the line-up with Therrien calling the shots, can we really expect Jiri to get a shot with Desharnais-Pacioretty? I agree he would be a prime compliment for that duo... if given the opportunity with an appropriate amount of time to settle in.

I think he would look better alongside Chucky. That could be our new Dynamic Duo.

In a small sample size he plays a similar game to Gallagher, but with more size. I think either would be great alongside galchenyuk (or eller) to be honest. Will be interesting to see if Sekac sustains it. Bourque can play this way too when he's motivated but that doesnt seem to be all that often these days...