The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jiri Sekac

He got 4th line minutes again last night with only 11:11. My guess is that Therrien will make him another healthy scratch to make room for Moen and Bourque.

He isn't bad on the other side of the puck, but he isnt a pleks, Prust or Moen either.

If we're constantly on the PK, guys like Prust, Moen, pleks and Co. are by default going to get more ice time. Against the oilers and Flames (both flames games), we had so many penalties to kill off that he wouldn't have gotten much ice time in those games either.

As I brought up in another thread, since we tried Wise with DD and Patch, why not give Sekac at shot on the RW with Patch and DD?

I like how Sekac plays the game; very strong on the puck and good along the boards. He is much better then Bourque, Moen or even Prust in a bottom six role.

We've only a small sample size.

If we simply take Prusts efforts in his first season here (where he had a bigger role), RB a during the 2013-14 playoffs and Moen the season leading up to his present contract and we could say they same about them.

I really, really like what I've seen from the kid so far, but far too many kids, during my 35+ years of watching hockey and the habs, have looked good to start, but fizzled out. Zednik was great until he was viciously hit by a bruin, D'agostini was on a 4 game scoring streak in his NHL a start, then completely dried up, the list is almost endless.

Right now he's motivated and excited to take his shot and see what he can do at this level.

If it were up to me, I'd exploit it until it dries up. If it never dries up, even better. Although, I think it would be a waste to have him in a 4th line role. If anything, I'd play him with either Eller on the 3rd line, Pleks-Chuck or DD-Patches. I honestly think with the way he's playing at the moment, he could help out on any of our top 3 lines.

One thing that RB, Moen and Prust have over Sekac, is their ability to play well on the other side of the puck. Albeit we haven't really seen him on many defensive assignments, the little bit I remember, he wasn't so bad. His speed and size were an asset. Again, we've only have a very small sample size. Once he has a semi-permanent roster spot and is feeling comfortable, then we're going to see the real Sekac. As aforementioned, many young players have started strong, shown a lot of promise, only to fizzle out or finally come back down to earth and look like a rookie.

At least 15 other teams were after him.

Especially during this goal drought, I'd be playing the kid with tons of energy and drive, he's living his dream right now.

We had heard about his skill level coming over from Europe, but what I've been impressed with the most is how well he uses his size to protect the puck and get to the net. I didn't see a lot of that in his European highlight reel packages, but he's really a lot sturdier than I thought he would be. I like what he's brought this year, and I think he can be a top-6 guy down the road. Great job by MB to lure him here, now we just need the coach to play him more.

We had heard about his skill level coming over from Europe, but what I've been impressed with the most is how well he uses his size to protect the puck and get to the net. I didn't see a lot of that in his European highlight reel packages, but he's really a lot sturdier than I thought he would be. I like what he's brought this year, and I think he can be a top-6 guy down the road. Great job by MB to lure him here, now we just need the coach to play him more.

There's an understatement.

Yep. I was surprised by his willingness to go into all the hard areas. Some Canadian bias showing through. He's been impressive, skates well, works hard, and could easily be a 20 goal scorer in this league. I wonder if there's any chance he makes that plateau this season? :unsure: Perhaps, if Therrien continues to give him the opportunities instead of sitting him upstairs.

Yep. I was surprised by his willingness to go into all the hard areas. Some Canadian bias showing through. He's been impressive, skates well, works hard, and could easily be a 20 goal scorer in this league. I wonder if there's any chance he makes that plateau this season? :unsure: Perhaps, if Therrien continues to give him the opportunities instead of sitting him upstairs.

The demotion of RB (waivers) should help cement his spot in the starting lineup.

Guest habs1952

its cakes! Let's just make it CAKES! I'm going to start developing a stutter otherwise

"Say-katch"

"Say-katch"

"Say-katch"

"Say-katch"

"Say-katch"

"Say-katch"

"Say-katch"

"Say-katch"

"Say-katch"

:ph34r:

I think that's optimistic. He's 22 already with close to 150 pro games under his belt. There's some room for improvement as he adapts to the NHL but I just don't see top 6 offensive potential. He probably has a relatively low floor and ceiling because of his age/experience but I think in a very good world he'd turn into a Jan Bulis type of 3rd liner.

I think that's optimistic. He's 22 already with close to 150 pro games under his belt. There's some room for improvement as he adapts to the NHL but I just don't see top 6 offensive potential. He probably has a relatively low floor and ceiling because of his age/experience but I think in a very good world he'd turn into a Jan Bulis type of 3rd liner.

Tough to say. I think there's still an outside chance he's a true second liner. The big unknown is consistency. He's playing very well right now, but not sure if thats sustainable. If it is, I think he could exceed third line duties.

That said, if all we get out of him is solid 3rd liner its still a great signing. He and Eller look strong together & see to read one another well. Id still rather reunite the EGG line and have Pleks-Sekac-Bournival/Prust as our heavy lifting defensive line though.

Question:

How long before Sekac << ------ >> Paranteau ? (switcheroo?)

More minutes of Sekac on the ice vs Paranteau on the ice is looking like it might be a plus for this team.

Preseason exhibition had talk of Parenteau's vision and passing. I'm not sure I'm seeing a whole lot of that with him.

He's deadly on the shoot-out though .... head up all the way; that must just freak the goaltender out.

Question:

More minutes of Sekac on the ice vs Paranteau on the ice is looking like it might be a plus for this team.

Preseason exhibition had talk of Parenteau's vision and passing. I'm not sure I'm seeing a whole lot of that with him.

He's deadly on the shoot-out though .... head up all the way; that must just freak the goaltender out.

I'm already there, I never liked PAP and am loving Sekac

Guest habs1952

Question:

Can't break up the chemistry he seems to be developing with Eller. Let DD and Patches fend for themselves.

I never liked him being sent down before. I think he does have chemistry with Eller and whatever we can do to keep Eller motivated is great. He disappears way to much. I like Prust with Elller and Sekac . Prust is underated and has been playing great. Just because we get an additional scorer doesn't mean we have to put him on another line. The teams that have won recently are the teams that can run 3-4 lines and have that depth. I don't care about a 'first line" that puts up all the points. A team that has 3 lines that can be a threat are the dangerous teams. I wouldn't switch anything right now, other than maybe bring Bourqe up for the forth line.