The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jiri Sekac

• 3 weeks later...
Guest habs1952

Already knew Cakes was fassssssssstttttttttt....

winz his "fastest skater round" by going 41.7 km/h B)

41.7 km/h has got to be average speed considering they need to slow down for corners. I wouldn't be surprised if some NHLers could hit 50+ km/h. in a straight line.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to say how impressed I am with Sekac every time I see him play. Between his stickhandling, his speed and his good body position he's always managing to hang on to the puck in situations where I think that he's for sure going to cough it up. Even better is the fact that we got him without having to give anything up! I think that he was easily Bergevin's best move of the summer.

I just want to say how impressed I am with Sekac every time I see him play. Between his stickhandling, his speed and his good body position he's always managing to hang on to the puck in situations where I think that he's for sure going to cough it up. Even better is the fact that we got him without having to give anything up! I think that he was easily Bergevin's best move of the summer.

Once PAP comes back it will be interesting to see if MT moves Prust off that line. Id love to at least try Sekac - Eller - Gallagher but even Sekac - Eller - PAP (a healthy PAP) would be interesting to see. Although i guess Weiss shouldnt be on that top line so thats likely where PAP will go but who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Should Jiri Sekac be the 13th forward? Is he sick or something... or is Therrien just being Therrien.

Regardless of whether you think Sekac should be in the top 6 or top 9, there's no excuse for press boxing him over the likes of Malhotra, Bournival, or Prust. This just seems like another example of bad coaching, and it's been bordering on ridiculous for a long time now.

I disagree. I think this has been a long season for the rookie and giving him some time upstairs to reflect and get back on track shouldn't hurt. I want him ready and rested for the playoffs so taking a few nights off shouldn't matter especially if it gives us the opportunity to play some other rookies. Therrien's moves are not impacting our ability to win. If this was a benching i would expect Eller to have been sitting beside him. I don't think that is what this is about.

I disagree. I think this has been a long season for the rookie and giving him some time upstairs to reflect and get back on track shouldn't hurt. I want him ready and rested for the playoffs so taking a few nights off shouldn't matter especially if it gives us the opportunity to play some other rookies. Therrien's moves are not impacting our ability to win. If this was a benching i would expect Eller to have been sitting beside him. I don't think that is what this is about.

Sekac was benched for something like 7-8 games near the start of the year, when he was fresh. He's only played 50 games this year and he doesn't play a ton of minutes, so he can't be overly tired. I get your point about limiting his game total, but if you're Therrien, why not come out and say that that's what you're doing? Why didn't Therrien also limit games for players like Galchenyuk and Gallagher in their first year? And along this lines, why worry about Sekac but spend your first three years playing Markov to the bone after he came back from injury and clearly struggled with the workload towards the end of the seasons? Your theory is not necessarily a bad idea, it just doesn't seem to be what Therrien is doing. My guess is that he's just purely benching him for lack of production (consistent with his snarky remark about not scoring for 2 months), and like with Eller, the lack of production isn't really a fair reason to bench him given the circumstances. Even if Sekac isn't scoring goals, he's still a considerably better player than 4-5 of the guys in the line-up.

i have the same gripes with sekac as i do with eller

i watch literally almost every game, and those 2 have done nothing all year but put tons of pressure 5 on 5. the numbers dont reflect it, but they have been one of if not our best possession/play driving combos on the team this year.

i mean i dont know how you watch a habs game and think, yeah they should bench that guy. he generated 5 scoring chances...didnt score, he must suck.

and again, whats the story all year. we cant score. its not like other guys are doing so great theres no room for him and his lack of finish.

unless he is in need of a major attitude adjustment that we arent privy to, this is just goofy. this is a guy who needs to be on more often and with better players, not sitting and/or playing with malhotra and prust

Reflect?

Prust - G 4; A 9; Pts 13

Bournival - G 2; A 2; Pts 6

Manny Mo - G 0; A 1; Pts 1

Thomas - G 1; A 0; Pts 1

Sekac - G 7; A 9; Pts 16

Weise - G 9; A 14; Pts 23

Looks like a few other players deserve to be sat in the pressbox ahead of Sekac and "reflect". I know Weise currently has more points. But the difference isn't that huge. Considering that Weise has had quality time on the top line (PP and OT as well), one has to wonder if a stint on the top line for Sekac would not serve better than a stint in the pressbox.

• 3 weeks later...

After starting strong (3 pts in first 4 games) he cooled considerably, was dropped down the lineup, reduced to 7 - 10 minutes a game and last night was a healthy scratch. Obviously any rookie is going to see bumps in the road (and its not like DSP has been lighting it up for us) but i am surprised to see him scratched already.

• 9 months later...