The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rene Bourque

I'm not sure I'd be up for anything as drastic as sitting Bourque against the Flames, personally. Check out this article about Eller's play so far this season:

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2014/10/23/7049911/lars-eller-analysis-canadiens-centre-bad-linemates-tough-usage

Now Berkshire wasn't exactly brimming with praise for Bourque in this article, it's true, but I'd argue that most of what he said about Eller goes for Bourque as well. He's starting most of his shifts in the defensive zone, and not only that but he's been out against tougher competition than anybody else on the team (Eller included). Through all that his line is still putting up positive possession numbers.

And it's not like he hasn't been getting his chances. Whether it's missing an open net or having the goal called back or just plain not getting any bounces off of defensemens' sticks or skates, Bourque has some of the worst puck luck that I've ever seen. Although, yes, I'd like to see more offense, the fact is that he and the rest of his line have been doing a very good job in the role that they've been asked to play. I don't think it's fair to be looking at benching him just because the offense hasn't been there.

I would agree about Eller although you do see the odd strong shift from him out there. When he got sat last year he picked up his game. Maybe that same message needs to be sent to both players. We have Cakes and Bourny ready to step up short term or long term if need be,,, should they continue to slump.

Bourque just needs better line mates. Put him on Pleky's line with Gally A and we shall see the difference.

I'd like to see that. We've never used him appropriately. Give him top 6 minutes and line mates and then trade him when he starts producing to a team that will use him appropriately.

"Sitting out a game is a possibility. Bourny and Jiri haven't played much and they're patiently waiting." - Rene Bourque (via @habsgirl4life on twitter)

Sounds like the coach may have hinted at something to him. I'm interested in getting Sekac and Bournival in, but for Moen and Prust, not for Bourque and/or Eller.

Bourque just needs better line mates. Put him on Pleky's line with Gally A and we shall see the difference.

Rene has 38 points with Montreal in three seasons and 10 games from this year. I somehow doubt we will see much of a difference no matter who Rene plays with, His 8 playoff goals from last year were an anomaly.

Rene has 38 points with Montreal in three seasons and 10 games from this year. I somehow doubt we will see much of a difference no matter who Rene plays with, His 8 playoff goals from last year were an anomaly.

Yah, his first year here he played with Pleky and (back when he was productive) Gio. Bourque didnt look out of place but he was hardly lighting it up.

He's a decent depth player and I dont think he's terrible value for the contract, but I wouldnt expect a ton more out of him than what we're getting. He'll go through some more hot streaks but there will be slumps too.

Yah, his first year here he played with Pleky and (back when he was productive) Gio. Bourque didnt look out of place but he was hardly lighting it up.

He's a decent depth player and I dont think he's terrible value for the contract, but I wouldnt expect a ton more out of him than what we're getting. He'll go through some more hot streaks but there will be slumps too.

Agreed but from what I've seen he looks even more disinterested than ever this season.

Agreed but from what I've seen he looks even more disinterested than ever this season.

I think he's playing the same as he usually does. Frustrating, bursts of good play, occasionally snipes a goal. I believe everyone's judgement is a little clouded because many fans got really, really excited about his playoff performance... Which was out of character for Rene.

Bourque has stated he has no confidence right now and what do you expect... you have a guy who's being judged on how many goals he scores and he's being asked to play a defensive role with low-opportunity zone starts and average ice time with nothing on the PP. Just like Eller. I don't see how people can complain he's not producing with what he's been given, the chances have come for him, so I'm fairly satisfied for now.

He just needs to work more on his finishing. We've seen many scoring opportunities come his way but.... :ph34r: . I don't believe he's a bogey shooter :P ....remember how he dispatched Tampa in last playoffs with clinical precision :) ?

Right now, I think he and Eller needs to improve passing chemistry. Too often, one is a step ahead/behind the other, resulting in a setup gone awry / puck intercepted / missed puck.

The man just needs lots of TLC. Come on, MT, give him a hug and more pep talks to boost his confidence. Drop Prust and insert Sekac into the line. Or move him into Pleky's line. Never give up on the BIG MAN!!!!

Right now, I think he and Eller needs to improve passing chemistry. Too often, one is a step ahead/behind the other, resulting in a setup gone awry / puck intercepted / missed puck.

Honestly i dont think they are a good Match. At times (last year's playoffs) they've looked in synch but that is not the norm. Both have been more effective with other players so Id definitely try mixing things up a little.

Honestly i dont think they are a good Match. At times (last year's playoffs) they've looked in synch but that is not the norm. Both have been more effective with other players so Id definitely try mixing things up a little.

I agree with you. Desharnais and Pacioretty have looked aimless for long stretches of play. I know it's been said to death, but I want to try Pacioretty and Eller together. Bourque, for me, is just the type of guy who's never going to put it together consistently. I'd leave him in the bottom six and focus on getting the best out of Eller before worrying about getting the best out of Bourque.

I know it's been said to death, but I want to try Pacioretty and Eller together.

Well or at very least put them back together on the PK. Last year they spent a good stretch of games on the PK together & looked great. I know Patches & Pleks look good together too but everyone looks good on the PK next to Pleks. :P

focus on getting the best out of Eller before worrying about getting the best out of Bourque.

Absolutely. I dont think management thinks Bourque is here long-term (ie after the contract is done) so perhaps they should explain that to Therrien :P

Yeah, Bourque was a lot more effective with Iginla so maybe we should see if Colorado will take another one of our problems on?

IMHO, Bourque has best chemistry with Pleky. But since it's not realistic and likely disruptive to make this change, Sekac would be 2nd best choice. But first, MT has to bring the rookie back into the lineup.

The remaining guy on the line must be a fast skater able to read the game, and make defence-splitting passes.

IMHO, Bourque has best chemistry with Pleky. But since it's not realistic and likely disruptive to make this change, Sekac would be 2nd best choice. But first, MT has to bring the rookie back into the lineup.

The remaining guy on the line must be a fast skater able to read the game, and make defence-splitting passes.

Sekac - DD - Bourque ?