The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Brandon Prust

• 1 month later...

Hopefully Prust is all better coming into this season,he needs to stay away from fighting and just play,beating a team on the scoreboard is much better than a bloody nose,Prusty needs to help score points not fights thats how you win games.

GO PRUST GO :lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With all his injuries taking a toil on his body, Prust is definitely a shadow of his former self and his best years are behind him. The last few games are telling. Can't get a shot on target, slow and losing the puck battles.

When is his contract up? Need to offload him. His only value now is to fight but we're way past the enforcer modus now.

With all his injuries taking a toil on his body, Prust is definitely a shadow of his former self and his best years are behind him. The last few games are telling. Can't get a shot on target, slow and losing the puck battles.

When is his contract up? Need to offload him. His only value now is to fight but we're way past the enforcer modus now.

I though he would have a bounce back year. Not ready to give up on him completely but its obviously not looking good. He has one more years after this one (same as Moen and Bourque). They should all be much easier contracts to unload this summer.

If used sparingly on the 4th line he may still be useful but I agree, if you were to replace moen & prust with Sekac and Bournival you'd get a bottom 6 of:

Bourque - Eller - Sekac

Bournival - Malholtra - Weise

Thats got to be better than what we've been seeing the last few games.

If i were MB Id definitely be floating the notion of Moen and/or Prust (not sure id lose both) being available & see what is out there in terms of a trade.

If i were MB Id definitely be floating the notion of Moen and/or Prust (not sure id lose both) being available & see what is out there in terms of a trade.

I agree with you here on both points, 1) that one of them should be traded and 2) that both of them shouldn't be. We're going to have injuries, and I'd feel more comfortable having one of them around rather than having to rely on a call-up.

I also don't think that they should be glued to the press box for the season, and there's nothing wrong with rotating them in and out. I just don't like the fact that they seem to be permanently higher on the totem pole than guys like Bournival who could probably offer more at this point.

I've been wondering about something, and I'm curious to read other opinions on this:

If the NHL were to eliminate fighting this upcoming offseason, would Prust have an NHL job one year from now? Why or why not?

I think he would - but his current contract would be considered overpayment (if its not already) and his next one would be considerably less. Without fighting or defending his teammates, his tool box is greatly emptied. He's still a good defensive player and he is still a legitimate 4th liner, but gone are the days you could drop him on the 3rd or even (shudder) 2nd line for a shift or two & get energy & not terrible production out of him.

He gave his all but his body is definitely starting to show signs of that wear & tear

• 1 month later...

After crying at the Saku tribute in the way I reserve for US soldiers dying in World War 2 at the movies I restake my claim that Prusty should be our captain.

I am only proud of those, like CRB, who do something to deserve honors, so many of us just drift through life, sort of take penalties, but at least a fighting major when Prust takes it is constructive, even for the Habs, which Saku is at his heart.

Providing the spark with an extraordinary goal after Carey botched it. Captain stuff. :D

Of course I don't believe in the ten commandments. I believe in have no wiles, guile or bile, make no mysteries and support no mirth ( my dogs and horses have been toooooo cute). Sort of leaves one hand free when you count 'em off. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Is Brandon Prust becoming the next Travis Moen? When I look at the experienced players on the Habs, after Malhotra (this season) I would have to say Brandon is becoming the weak link and therefore expendable by season's end (if not sooner). Yes he still can play the defensive game, but he has lost a step IMHO and the jump is just not what it was when he joined the Habs... and as a result his impact has diminished. What say you?

The Habs have to have a better option to play on the third line with Eller and Sekac.

Is Brandon Prust becoming the next Travis Moen? When I look at the experienced players on the Habs, after Malhotra (this season) I would have to say Brandon is becoming the weak link and therefore expendable by season's end (if not sooner). Yes he still can play the defensive game, but he has lost a step IMHO and the jump is just not what it was when he joined the Habs... and as a result his impact has diminished. What say you?

The Habs have to have a better option to play on the third line with Eller and Sekac.

Especially when healthy, yes, i believe we do have better options for the 3rd line - but - im not sure id be ready to get rid of Prust just yet. All along i felt like one of Moen or Prust was good on this team and didnt love the idea of losing both.

In an ideal world we have strong enough players in our top 9 that Prust doesnt need to play there but I think he makes our 4th line much better and has the ability (like Weiss) to move up the roster if injuries occur.

• 4 weeks later...

That penalty on Prust last night was ridiculous. I think they were going to call it elbowing & then realized he used his shoulder so switched it to interference even though it was a play for the puck. didnt like when the King player started throwing punches before Prust could get his footing - bad form.

That penalty on Prust last night was ridiculous. I think they were going to call it elbowing & then realized he used his shoulder so switched it to interference even though it was a play for the puck. didnt like when the King player started throwing punches before Prust could get his footing - bad form.

total hose job. his penalty was complete garbage [edit]. at least he got the extra 2 our way for nolan mugging him for revenge... the refs were out to lunch last night...chris lee, another day at the office

Does he always need to fight every match to rouse this team from slumber :huh: ?

All it does is create a 4-on-4 situation which exposes the weakness of the team, and frees up room for the opposition to exploit.

Fighting doesn't create a 4-on-4 situation... :mellow: If he gets involved in an offsetting minor situation, that would create a 4-on-4 situation.

I actually enjoy that Prust got himself into some trouble last night. We were going to lose the game, we might as well attempt something out of the ordinary to swing momentum. Heck, it almost worked.

Let's just hope the "ruggedness" is deployed smartly in the post-season.

yep prust seems to be playing quite well at the moment, pretty much his best hockey of the season.

Yep. Perhaps his "quiet" season has been premeditated. When you play a grinding game, like Prust does, you probably need to manage your exertion and physicality over an 82 game regular season. Hopefully he continues into the post-season with some very strong play.