The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Brandon Prust

• 1 month later...

Prust needs to stop chasing around Ben Bishop. Throw the body on opposing defenders, yes, but there's no need to keep contacting Ben Bishop every other period and getting penalized for it. It hasn't thrown Bishop off his game against us EVER, so why do we expect it to work now?

At this point, Prust is going to be penalized for every single step he takes out of line. His comments about Brad Watson have likely sunk him for the remainder of this season (and probably next season).

Prust needs to stop chasing around Ben Bishop. Throw the body on opposing defenders, yes, but there's no need to keep contacting Ben Bishop every other period and getting penalized for it. It hasn't thrown Bishop off his game against us EVER, so why do we expect it to work now?

At this point, Prust is going to be penalized for every single step he takes out of line. His comments about Brad Watson have likely sunk him for the remainder of this season (and probably next season).

Agreed. If i was Therrien Id sit Prust for 2 reasons: One, he's been ineffective and Two, i think we could use his spot for a scorer (Andrighetto?)

Agreed. If i was Therrien Id sit Prust for 2 reasons: One, he's been ineffective and Two, i think we could use his spot for a scorer (Andrighetto?)

I;d sit Prust for sure. He's not helping right now. We would not be able to use his spot for Andrighetto though, as he was not called up with the black aces (injury?). But an of Hudon, Thomas, Carr could be more useful there.

I;d sit Prust for sure. He's not helping right now. We would not be able to use his spot for Andrighetto though, as he was not called up with the black aces (injury?). But an of Hudon, Thomas, Carr could be more useful there.

Yeah id be willing to try any of those guys in game 3.

The other thing i didnt mention is that keeping Prust in worries me in that he's 'accidentally on purpose' run into Bishop what, 4 times now in 2 games? How soon before they start thinking about doing the same to Price? I love Prust & his passion but im not crazy about how he's acted this series.

Should keep his referee comments to himself .

Now , he and his team mates are going to get any breaks .

On the other hand, what that referee did was so out of line, I think it had to be told. There's so many fans in these message boards that keep saying "there's no conspiracy" but Prust has revealed that for the Habs, playing the game on the ice is quite different than most people think it is. Why should we not welcome the truth? People who are worried that the team "won't get any breaks" don't realize that they already don't get any breaks. I applaud Prust for telling it like it is, knowing there will be repercussions. I think it was an act of courage. If nobody does anything to stop the corruption, it will only get worse and worse. It's as if no one wants to admit that the current commissioner has already been implicated in fixing games in another pro sports league in which he was a deputy commissioner. Now that he's the "big cheese" do you really think he changed his stripes? Remember, this is the guy that said the Chara hit that nearly turned Pacioretty into a vegetable was just a "hockey play" and when there was no penalty and no supplemental discipline, publicly insulted the Montreal Canadiens and its entire fan base by saying he was "extraordinarily comfortable" with that decision.

I'm too much a fan of the sport to not appreciate Prust's honesty. To me, it's just another confirmation that the NHL brass has decided that it, and not the players, will decide the outcome of the games.

Apparently there are "mike's " everywhere - hope for Prust's sake , what he said is true

I don't think it's on youtube, but there's a vid of watson pointing his finger at Prust while Prust is sitting in the box. Prust just had his head down. I doubt if watson was "just" pointing his finger without saying anything.

On edit,,,, it's on Sportsnet, about 1/2 way down the page.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-prust-avoids-suspension-for-ref-comments/

TSN:

"Montreal Canadiens forward Brandon Prust apologized on Tuesday for the comments he made about referee Brad Watson following a Game 2 loss on Sunday. Prust said he wishes he could take back what he said about the official. "I was emotional," Prust told media members."

On the other hand, what that referee did was so out of line, I think it had to be told. There's so many fans in these message boards that keep saying "there's no conspiracy" but Prust has revealed that for the Habs, playing the game on the ice is quite different than most people think it is. Why should we not welcome the truth? People who are worried that the team "won't get any breaks" don't realize that they already don't get any breaks. I applaud Prust for telling it like it is, knowing there will be repercussions. I think it was an act of courage. If nobody does anything to stop the corruption, it will only get worse and worse. It's as if no one wants to admit that the current commissioner has already been implicated in fixing games in another pro sports league in which he was a deputy commissioner. Now that he's the "big cheese" do you really think he changed his stripes? Remember, this is the guy that said the Chara hit that nearly turned Pacioretty into a vegetable was just a "hockey play" and when there was no penalty and no supplemental discipline, publicly insulted the Montreal Canadiens and its entire fan base by saying he was "extraordinarily comfortable" with that decision.

I'm too much a fan of the sport to not appreciate Prust's honesty. To me, it's just another confirmation that the NHL brass has decided that it, and not the players, will decide the outcome of the games.

normally i dont condone this stuff from players, and normally i dont buy this ref conspiracy, but this year we have seen it with gallagher, with subban and now with prust. it isnt a perception anymore, its been happening all year and its ridiculous. im with you. good for prust.

Montreal Canadiens forward Brandon Prust has been fined $5,000 for derogatory public comments directed toward Referee Brad Watson during his post-game media availability on Sunday, May 3, the National Hockey League announced today.

"Brandon Prust's post-game comments were both baseless and demeaning of a referee whose 20-year career in the League has been marked by professionalism, integrity and a high degree of respect from players, coaches and management," said NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell.

Honestly i could care less about the stuff with the ref. It was a bum call & while i dont like that he said it to the media, i really dont care to be honest. We all knew he'd be fined, he was, end of story.

What concerns me much more is the constant jabs at Bishop. First off, i dont like that stuff no matter which side is doing it and second of all i hate to think of a repercussion against Price.

Lets play the game fairly & win on the scoreboard, not by trying to injure or intimidate.

Wow, another insult from the league. "Baseless and demeaning?" Holy, moly, they're saying Prust made it all up. Even when we can see on the video the ref following him all the way to the penalty box. Prust was on his way there, he was done. The ref created this whole scene. Are we going to just sit back while the league lies to all of us? What a bunch of political crap.

Wow, another insult from the league. "Baseless and demeaning?" Holy, moly, they're saying Prust made it all up. Even when we can see on the video the ref following him all the way to the penalty box. Prust was on his way there, he was done. The ref created this whole scene. Are we going to just sit back while the league lies to all of us? What a bunch of political crap.

That in itself is insulting.

Guest Regis2

lol.........well the ref had to follow him to the penalty box so he could tell the timekeeper what the penalty was.

We still sill don't know if what Prust alleged Watson said is true. We are assuming it is because well Prust is a Hab , so it must be .

Honestly i could care less about the stuff with the ref. It was a bum call & while i dont like that he said it to the media, i really dont care to be honest. We all knew he'd be fined, he was, end of story.

What concerns me much more is the constant jabs at Bishop. First off, i dont like that stuff no matter which side is doing it and second of all i hate to think of a repercussion against Price.

Lets play the game fairly & win on the scoreboard, not by trying to injure or intimidate.

Prust is paid to be an agitator. If he goes by Bishop and makes a smart remark here and there, I'm fine with it. If he bumps him after the whistle, I'm fine with it. If he's running him to take him out, that's going too far and it's against the spirit of the game. I actually like what the Habs as a whole have done this series in going to the net hard. You don't go out of your way to hit Bishop, but you make his life uncomfortable to make saves and get on rebounds. If the puck is free, the mentality should be that it's as much yours as it is his. When Prust was penalized later in the game and then got into a fight with Coburn, the contact he made with Bishop was pretty soft. it was clearly interference and it was a penalty, but I don't think that was the type of contact Prust would have made if he actually intended to injure the goalie (who also flopped on the play). What you really want to avoid is a guy hitting the goalie in the head, in an extended leg, or with a skate (a la Kreider). But going hard after lose pucks is in my opinion fair game. It's on the ref to determine what takes it too far.

Baseless? Did they have the referee mic'ed? I would say their assertation of the whole incident is baseless and without a full investigation. Just because the league is in the position of power does not mean they perfect or withour wrongdoing....

Guest habs1952

LOL....The NHL once again shows itself as a bush league by failing to state whether or not Watson was punished in any way for his part in this fiasco. My sense is the league doesn't want to admit publicly their officials are NOT the best in pro sports but we all know most NHL refs don't pass the eye test regardless of how long they referee in the playoffs.

OK, so Prust got fined, made a public apology, and the NHL made its position very clear that Prust's comments were "baseless" (translation: lies). Prust must have made the whole thing up after all, and then just "crossed the line."

Watson got no discipline, no hearing, no investigation, no statement. Well, he's an NHL referee.....he couldn't possibly have done anything wrong or unethical.

The NHL Network has put its "bad Prust" spin on the story. It's on TV, so it must be true.

So, all's right with the world again. It must have been those dirty, diving Habs (that the refs always favor) who caused all of this.

I'm so glad the NHL has more integrity than any other sports league.