The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau

Still think he could be a decent top 6 player given the right linemates and opportunity.

Perhaps. It's hard to imagine him getting the opportunity after this season. Therrien will be back. I assume Parenteau will continue to be a bottom six player on this team, just like Briere was before him. I have no idea what P.A. could possibly do for this team. We just had very little chance to see him in the proper position this season. Partly due to injury, partly due to coaching decisions.

Still think he could be a decent top 6 player given the right linemates and opportunity.

Perhaps. It's hard to imagine him getting the opportunity after this season. Therrien will be back. I assume Parenteau will continue to be a bottom six player on this team, just like Briere was before him. I have no idea what P.A. could possibly do for this team. We just had very little chance to see him in the proper position this season. Partly due to injury, partly due to coaching decisions.

Agreed. One of a few players who definitely feels like he's getting mismanaged right now.

I don't find this guy to be effective at all, but I do agree with you guys that on this team he should definitely be in our top 6.

He's a bit of an enigma because despite being a winger I think his talent lies much more in his playmaking. Pair him with a goal-scoring centre and I think he'd be very effective.

What's a "goal-scoring" center? Do we have one of those?

Im not sure if we do (although I believe that his skills lend a guy like Eller to being more of a goal scorer than a passer). But Galchenyuk has a wicked shot on him...

Galchenyuk! Oh no wait, he doesn't want to play center... what's that, he said he does? Well he's lying.

:blink::ph34r::blush:<_<<_<<_<

I don't know if PA is part of our future plans...With that said, I also don't know if there is a move that can be made to get rid of him.

He's not hideous value and he has only 1 year left so I think if we really wanted to move him, we would find a taker - i just wouldnt expect the return to be much. I think he'd have more value to us to hold on to, even if we only play him in the bottom 6. He's as good, if not better, than all available UFA wingers this summer (assuming some of the guys like St Louis will re-sign with their current teams)

A lot is going to have to do with our #1 RW. If we can somehow manage to get a "true" first line RW and Gallagher becomes #2, PAP, DSP and Weise all fight for lines 3 and 4. There's some options. But right now, PAP (and others) are being played beyond their abilities & that is hurting them & their play.

• 1 month later...

Posted in state of the Habs thread ...

Even strength stat comparison between our 1st line center Desharnais and our frequently scratched buyout candidate Parenteau.

Desharnais: 82 GP || 8 G 23 A 31 P || 0.42 G/60 1.21 A/60 0.58 A1/60 1.64 P/60

Parenteau : 56 GP || 5 G 13 A 18 P || 0.43 G/60 1.12 A/60 0.69 A1/60 1.55 P/60

(Games Played || Goals Assists Points || Goals/60 Assists/60 FirstAssists/60 Points/60)

The difference between them at even strength production is less than 0.1 per 60 minutes played.

Given 15 minutes of even strength ice time per game apiece, that's a difference of 2.05 points over the course of 82 games.

Just some more perspective.

Since Bergevin took over he has consistently used UFA's to fill some needs and give us depth. For much of that time the focus was on improving the defense first, and while he may need to pick up a forward I think we have the youth ready to take some spots and I think he knows it. I am not surprised to see PAP go and believe if Marky declines this year he may be bought out on his final year next year. We have a large list of over 30's that will be gone and Gilbert and Plekanec are getting close to the same situation next year. It will be interesting to see if Plecky is offered a short term deal or traded. PAP, Briere and Gionta have all eventually reached a plateau or perhaps a cliff and hopefully the youth can pick up some of the slack.

I'm curious, was there some sort of limit on how late we could put him on waivers? Because the timing of this feels weird to me.

I mean obviously PAP did not perform as we'd hoped during his time here, but we're really, really short at right wing right now and even at his current level of performance he's probably the second best option we have after Gallagher. I'm more than willing to move on from Parenteau but wouldn't it have made more sense to put him on waivers after we have a replacement in place? What happens if we can't get a reasonably priced free agent to replace him? We've basically resigned ourselves to either being forced into a trade from a bad bargaining position (if it's known that we need a RW) or to going into this year with another hole in our roster.

I'm curious, was there some sort of limit on how late we could put him on waivers? Because the timing of this feels weird to me.

I mean obviously PAP did not perform as we'd hoped during his time here, but we're really, really short at right wing right now and even at his current level of performance he's probably the second best option we have after Gallagher. I'm more than willing to move on from Parenteau but wouldn't it have made more sense to put him on waivers after we have a replacement in place? What happens if we can't get a reasonably priced free agent to replace him? We've basically resigned ourselves to either being forced into a trade from a bad bargaining position (if it's known that we need a RW) or to going into this year with another hole in our roster.

I believe there is a buyout period that ends June 30th. The timing is a combination of giving teams the best chance to get him before free agency and spending their money elsewhere, while also allowing the team to buy him out in time to regain that cap space prior to free agency. It is also set to allow the player to be available for the first day of free agency.

I also disagree with spending cap space to reduce our depth on the wing, but it only makes sense if there is a plan in place to use that money elsewhere. We don't need to buy him out in order to replace him with a prospect, as "burying him in the minors" would allow us to retain him for a future trade or call up, while still giving us more than enough cap space to accommodate a prospect salary.

I believe there is a buyout period that ends June 30th. The timing is a combination of giving teams the best chance to get him before free agency and spending their money elsewhere, while also allowing the team to buy him out in time to regain that cap space prior to free agency. It is also set to allow the player to be available for the first day of free agency.

I also disagree with spending cap space to reduce our depth on the wing, but it only makes sense if there is a plan in place to use that money elsewhere. We don't need to buy him out in order to replace him with a prospect, as "burying him in the minors" would allow us to retain him for a future trade or call up, while still giving us more than enough cap space to accommodate a prospect salary.

I think you explained this very well. As for the used-less theory on PAP I will disagree. This argument hs been used with Diaz and some other fringe players that we have let go. They have not suddenly blssomed on other teams (see Briere) I may not agree with everything Therrien does but do feel he is a competent evaluator of NHL play and can tell the difference between someone he can play and someone who has one foot in retirement.

Guest habs1952

With or without PAP, we needed a right winger. As for PAP's contribution, I don't think one of our prospects could do any worse than PAP.