The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs acquire Sergei Gonchar for Travis Moen

NewfoundlandHab

Simple math (this is not "Interstellar" :lol: ) ... $3.3MM of cap space freed for 2015-16 when Habs have to sign Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinordi and Beaulieu, .... plus).

MB wasn't going to be able to unload Moen's contract without taking something back.

Where does the 3.3 come from? Not saying you're wrong, but genuinely wondering. We moved 1.8 in Moen and 0.9 in Bourque. Thats 2.7.

But your point still stands.. Save some money to re-sign key players next year. The only problem is that it likely pushes Tinordi/Beaulieu's develpment back another year.

Where does the 3.3 come from? Not saying you're wrong, but genuinely wondering. We moved 1.8 in Moen and 0.9 in Bourque. Thats 2.7.

But your point still stands.. Save some money to re-sign key players next year. The only problem is that it likely pushes Tinordi/Beaulieu's develpment back another year.

Yeah, I was correcting my post even as you were responding to it. Thanks, you are correct. $1.85 2015-16 cap hit for Moen, removed, with this trade.

Gonchar's contract finishes this season, and presumably he retires (what did Gordie go to? :D ).

Habs getting a bit of Russian connection going on D. Price will have to take some lessons, re: shouting the puck movemetn back there 'bilingually' (English + Russian) (and no disrespect intended to Nathan Beaulieu).

Habs will have two D down with injuries at some point. Nothing in Hamilton can be called up beyond Tinordi and Beaulieu.

Come play-offs Gonchar can be handy to have in the room and then on the bench for the PP. Some others on D will ramp up their ice-time come play-offs (most notably, Subban). Gonachar does not have to be on the ice a ton of non-PP time come play-offs.

Hopefully, the refs read this as they need to give Montreal ore powerplays. Habs are like last or second last in the league.

Yeah, I was correcting my post even as you were responding to it. Thanks, you are correct. $1.85 2015-16 cap hit for Moen, removed, with this trade.

Gonchar's contract finishes this season, and presumably he retires (what did Gordie go to? :D ).

Habs getting a bit of Russian connection going on D. Price will have to take some lessons, re: shouting the puck movemetn back there 'bilingually' (English + Russian) (and no disrespect intended to Nathan Beaulieu).

Habs will have two D down with injuries at some point. Nothing in Hamilton can be called up beyond Tinordi and Beaulieu.

Come play-offs Gonchar can be handy to have in the room and then on the bench for the PP. Some others on D will ramp up their ice-time come play-offs (most notably, Subban). Gonachar does not have to be on the ice a ton of non-PP time come play-offs.

Hopefully, the refs read this as they need to give Montreal ore powerplays. Habs are like last or second last in the league.

The Habs have lots of cap space to sign the RFAs and there's Pateryn in Hamilton who's been ready to make the jump for the last two seasons.

The upside and downside to the trade are pretty obvious here. On the one hand, you trade away Moen, whose pretty easy to replace and whose two-year term you get off the books. The downside is that Gonchar is a declining commodity whose inclusion likely hinders the development of Beaulieu and Tinordi. It's not quite to the same extent as using Bouillon or Murray, but I fear we're going to end up back in this same vein of thought with Michel Therrien. Unless there's a plan to fire the coach (which there should be), this now allows MT to employ 6 veterans and like last year, completely ignore the development of our two best young defencemen.

As has been discussed, it's a bit unclear where Gonchar fits into the line-up. We already have 4-5 defencemen capable of playing the PP, and we already had 4 guys lining up on the left side of the blue line before adding Gonchar. if the plan is to bump Beaulieu and Tinordi out of the line-up, it's a bad plan. If the plan is to bump Gilbert or Weaver, it begs the question why we traded Josh Gorges away to fit everyone onto the correct side of the ice. If Gonchar is used as a 7th D man and splits time with Weaver, say, then I could live with that for one year and then it's really a toss-up of whether you want the extra 1.85M in cap space next year or the extra 2-3M you're paying out this year as the difference in salaries for the remainder of the season.

And with that, I think we can officially close the book on the Bob Gainey summer spending spree... Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Gill, Spacek, and Moen now all gone. MB has also started weeding out a number of PG's acquisitions, with Bourque being the latest to be sent packing. Not much to show for getting rid of all those players though, basically a couple of 2nd round picks and Gonchar. Everything else we got is done with...

Guest habs1952

And with that, I think we can officially close the book on the Bob Gainey summer spending spree... Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Gill, Spacek, and Moen now all gone. MB has also started weeding out a number of PG's acquisitions, with Bourque being the latest to be sent packing. Not much to show for getting rid of all those players though, basically a couple of 2nd round picks and Gonchar. Everything else we got is done with...

But....we are a better hockey team in need of a coach.

A little bit of a desperate attempt to fix the powerplay?

We knew Travis was being shopped at the beginning of the year and he's easily replaceable. I, too, am surprised to see a defender coming back in the deal instead of a forward. Does anyone know why Gonchar has only played 3 games this season? Injury or a healthy scratch?

A little bit of a desperate attempt to fix the powerplay?

We knew Travis was being shopped at the beginning of the year and he's easily replaceable. I, too, am surprised to see a defender coming back in the deal instead of a forward. Does anyone know why Gonchar has only played 3 games this season? Injury or a healthy scratch?

My understanding is that he was scratched a few games and played 3.

Foot injury

From what I've read , he " should" help the awful PP ..........BUT when it's 5 on 5 , it could become another problem.

He's not as fast and mobile as he used to be and he now takes the spot of two young players ( NB and JT ) .

Maybe they should have just kept Bouillion ..lol

Stoked that we finally got rid of Moen. I was strongly against resigning him. The guy played one decent year on his last contract and that was his final year. What did we do???? Resigned him to another long term so he could disappoint once more, and he certainly managed that. I for one won't miss him. Sucks that we had to take Gonchar to get rid of him.

The two guys on the team that i had no use for are now gone (RB still in the system though).

Stoked that we finally got rid of Moen. I was strongly against resigning him. The guy played one decent year on his last contract and that was his final year. What did we do???? Resigned him to another long term so he could disappoint once more, and he certainly managed that. I for one won't miss him. Sucks that we had to take Gonchar to get rid of him.

The two guys on the team that i had no use for are now gone (RB still in the system though).

Well at his press conference today, MB seemed remorseful about signing Moen, saying he felt like he didn't have much choice because we lacked size at the time. At least he seems to get that it was a bad move in retrospect. Will definitely say Bergevin has learned from his mistakes, for the most part.

Well at his press conference today, MB seemed remorseful about signing Moen, saying he felt like he didn't have much choice because we lacked size at the time. At least he seems to get that it was a bad move in retrospect. Will definitely say Bergevin has learned from his mistakes, for the most part.

Missed the presser. Anybody have a link to it??

For me this trade depends on how Gonchar is used. If he plays over Tinordi and Beaulieu than I don't like it, but otherwise it's fine.

He's definitely going to be playing ahead of Tinordi and Beaulieu. DEFINITELY. Unless Therrien is replaced, which I doubt will happen anytime soon. I will like/dislike this trade depending on how Gonchar performs. If he performs poorly, well... That's crap. If he performs admirably and helps our ailing powerplay... Awesome!

Modified NMC (trade window from January 2015 to trade deadline 2015; Source: TSN.ca). I'm not sure he can be demoted to the AHL this season or even wavered. He is 40 years old... at a pro-rated $4,600,000 I don't get it. I honestly can't see how this helps the Habs right now :wacko:

In theory he is supposed to try help the lousy PP and then next year there is cap relief .

Moen AND Gonchar are both gone .

In the meantime , he takes ice time away from NB and JT.

Maybe they should find a coach who can make the PP work .

There were years when this team couldn't score except on the PP .

The upside and downside to the trade are pretty obvious here. On the one hand, you trade away Moen, whose pretty easy to replace and whose two-year term you get off the books. The downside is that Gonchar is a declining commodity whose inclusion likely hinders the development of Beaulieu and Tinordi. It's not quite to the same extent as using Bouillon or Murray, but I fear we're going to end up back in this same vein of thought with Michel Therrien. Unless there's a plan to fire the coach (which there should be), this now allows MT to employ 6 veterans and like last year, completely ignore the development of our two best young defencemen.

As has been discussed, it's a bit unclear where Gonchar fits into the line-up. We already have 4-5 defencemen capable of playing the PP, and we already had 4 guys lining up on the left side of the blue line before adding Gonchar. if the plan is to bump Beaulieu and Tinordi out of the line-up, it's a bad plan. If the plan is to bump Gilbert or Weaver, it begs the question why we traded Josh Gorges away to fit everyone onto the correct side of the ice. If Gonchar is used as a 7th D man and splits time with Weaver, say, then I could live with that for one year and then it's really a toss-up of whether you want the extra 1.85M in cap space next year or the extra 2-3M you're paying out this year as the difference in salaries for the remainder of the season.

Bang on.

We essentially traded a spare part forward for a spare part defenseman. Considering we have lots of players in hamilton who could step into a 4th line role, it makes a certain amount of sense and while, yes, gonchar is a lot more expensive than moen, he's off the books 1 year sooner, so financially its a wash too.

The problem - as you've eluded to - is that if we made this deal & had a consistently logical coach at the helm, id be fine with it. However, we have a sort of Jekyll and Hyde coach, so im really not sure what we're going to get.

If Gonchar is indeed used as a reserve - totally fine with the deal. If he ends up taking away playing time from anyone other than maybe Weaver, I dont love it at all.

40 year old has-been D-man in the twilight of his career.....really? Well done, MB (slow clap clap clap ;) ) for your trade acumen!

With Moen gone now, the number of forwards is further reduced. Oh, before I forget, how many RW does the team have now?

I hope a smirking Bourque appears in the dreams of MB and MT :D (boo!) to taunt them, should (touch wood :ph34r: ) injuries to our forward lines take its toll further into the season. Won't forget, won't forgive...

Je me souvenir....

Archived