The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Lars Eller

so he is resigning himself to being on the second offensive line as opposed to the third or fourth in a more defensive role?

That's my guess, that he prefers to be a top 6 winger than a checking line center, but I still feel he would rather be a top 6 center than a top 6 winger if given the choice. I simply think he realizes that won't be an option with Plekanec and Galchenyuk ahead of him now.

Guest habs1952

he has been pretty good, not sure him and pleky work well together they were both holding onto the puck last night.

They probably won't work very well together since both do the same things. It irks me when Eller is playing well with Gally and Andrighetto and Therrien steps in and throws the WHOLE lineup upside down. Players aren't overly familiar with their line mates and that is going to cause mistakes. All because we're missing one important player.

• 4 weeks later...

Deserhnais has no role on this team going forward, find a trading partner nd get it done. Move Eller back to center where he belongs. When Pleks is gone Eller or Mcarron will take his place. Both players play a good two way game. Over the next year or two. YOu will have Galchenyk, Eller and McCarron down the Middle, Size and skill, to punish defenceman. Give Tampa, a first, a deeman, tinordi and our top prospect other then Mcarron. for Droiun. First line becomes Droiun, Galchenyk, Gallager.

Try to get Iginla, some prospects to play with Pleks and Pactches,

Price returns we have as good a lineup as anyone for shot at cup/....

forgot to mention FIRE THE COACH

Deserhnais has no role on this team going forward, find a trading partner nd get it done. Move Eller back to center where he belongs. When Pleks is gone Eller or Mcarron will take his place. Both players play a good two way game. Over the next year or two. YOu will have Galchenyk, Eller and McCarron down the Middle, Size and skill, to punish defenceman. Give Tampa, a first, a deeman, tinordi and our top prospect other then Mcarron. for Droiun. First line becomes Droiun, Galchenyk, Gallager.

Try to get Iginla, some prospects to play with Pleks and Pactches,

Price returns we have as good a lineup as anyone for shot at cup/....

forgot to mention FIRE THE COACH

I just don't see a scenario where we trade for Drouin without Beaulieu going the other way. We can't afford to move him. Our left side looks awful without him.

I do agree though, Lars is being misused. He is such a good tough-minutes centerman and his talents are going to waste to accommodate DD once again. He did play an excellent game against NJ the other night though. You could tell he was out there trying to prove something. He is an extremely unappreciated player.

I just want to reiterate that I am a big fan of moving Eller back to his natural position, center. I think he could be one of the better third line centers in the game, and at $3.5 million per season, not ridiculously expensive in that role. He's also shown that he can, temporarily, fill in for an injured top-six forward. I believe a lot of forum members probably agree with me he'll get his 30 points as a third line center. He'll probably get the same 30 points as Galchenyuk's winger. Where would it be better to place him? IMO, as the third line center.

he'll get his 30 points as a third line center. He'll probably get the same 30 points as Galchenyuk's winger. Where would it be better to place him? IMO, as the third line center.

This. I dont mind him on Galchenyuk's wing assuming we have a good shut down option (he certainly makes Galchenyuk's line more defensively responsible) but what we're doing now is messing up all zone starts for all 3 lines (and putting too much ice time with the 4th line etc). We have some quality 2 way forwards, we could make a very good shut-down line with Eller as the pivot of that 3some.

As you've very astutely pointed out, if Lars is going to get 30-40 points no matter where he plays, why not put him on a checking line where his 2 way play is much more valuable.

This. I dont mind him on Galchenyuk's wing assuming we have a good shut down option (he certainly makes Galchenyuk's line more defensively responsible) but what we're doing now is messing up all zone starts for all 3 lines (and putting too much ice time with the 4th line etc). We have some quality 2 way forwards, we could make a very good shut-down line with Eller as the pivot of that 3some.

As you've very astutely pointed out, if Lars is going to get 30-40 points no matter where he plays, why not put him on a checking line where his 2 way play is much more valuable.

I think we need someone a little more consistently able to score or generate scoring chances on Galchenyuk's wing. Lars is great there in a temporary capacity, but I would like a more offensively gifted player there to help Galchenyuk develop his scoring game.

I have a hunch that Lars not playing in his most suitable role as a tough minutes shutdown center is hurting us more than we might think. We aren't scoring quite possibly because we are using our best line (Pleks) to play against the top players on other teams instead of finding a pure shutdown line and exploiting the weaker lines with our best players. MT for some reason refuses to match lines and if you look back at the start of the season when we were playing excellent hockey, we were using our 4th line exclusively in a shutdown role. I haven't looked at the numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if our problems started arising once we stopped doing that. We need to at least try this; we've tried every other crazy scenario like Byron on the first line and Eller with DD. Why can't we just give it a shot?

• 3 weeks later...

After Saturday's game, Eric Engels tweeted that he had recently spoken to a scout from a Western Conference team. Engels asked him what he thought about Lars Eller. His response was "the ideal shutdown center, even on the elite teams".

It's good to see that he gets some recognition for what he does, even if it's from people from other organizations.

Guest habs1952

After Saturday's game, Eric Engels tweeted that he had recently spoken to a scout from a Western Conference team. Engels asked him what he thought about Lars Eller. His response was "the ideal shutdown center, even on the elite teams".

It's good to see that he gets some recognition for what he does, even if it's from people from other organizations.

I read that a couple of days ago. It made me dislike Therrien even more.

in a brutal year, eller has been consistently one of our most effective forwards.

hes been playing like the best center on the team since moving back there.

100% should have been given some prime time ice by now, 10000% at the moment

You know,,, and I know that will never happen under MT. <_<

in a brutal year, eller has been consistently one of our most effective forwards.

hes been playing like the best center on the team since moving back there.

100% should have been given some prime time ice by now, 10000% at the moment

Unquestionably, but it wont happen.

Thankfully, Eller has become a strong two way centre so it really doesnt matter where he plays in the lineup, he'll be effective. He wont have numbers to show for it, but playing with Fleischmann (and now Andrighetto) he has at least a glimmer of hope of someone finishing his plays.

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but I really think Lars and Pacioretty would make a good 5 on 5 duo. Both are good two-way players (67 has had moments this season where he was not but generally he is very good), both are big, strong players who forecheck very well and are good on the boards and in the corners. They might make a very good tough-minutes line and could provide a good amount of offense while they're at it. It would be far from the most ridiculous thing we've tried lately.

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but I really think Lars and Pacioretty would make a good 5 on 5 duo. Both are good two-way players (67 has had moments this season where he was not but generally he is very good), both are big, strong players who forecheck very well and are good on the boards and in the corners. They might make a very good tough-minutes line and could provide a good amount of offense while they're at it. It would be far from the most ridiculous thing we've tried lately.

They also had ridiculous numbers together in the infinitesimally small sample size we saw them together last year. It seemed like every time they were on the ice together (usually because of line changes or PK if Plekanec was in the box) they would create scoring chances, many of which were converted.

Obviously 10 minutes over a season doesnt tell you much but one would think that at very least a coach would want to see if there was potential there. Especially since Therrien obviously liked Patches-Plekanec-Gallagher but switched them up when it wasnt 'working' so why change Plekanec with a guy completely unlike him (DD) rather than a guy who plays a very similar game to Plekanec (Eller)?

Sorry, was using logic again. What was i thinking??

Guest habs1952

They also had ridiculous numbers together in the infinitesimally small sample size we saw them together last year. It seemed like every time they were on the ice together (usually because of line changes or PK if Plekanec was in the box) they would create scoring chances, many of which were converted.

Obviously 10 minutes over a season doesnt tell you much but one would think that at very least a coach would want to see if there was potential there. Especially since Therrien obviously liked Patches-Plekanec-Gallagher but switched them up when it wasnt 'working' so why change Plekanec with a guy completely unlike him (DD) rather than a guy who plays a very similar game to Plekanec (Eller)?

Sorry, was using logic again. What was i thinking??

In the words of Rodney Dangerfield, he gets no respect.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest habs1952

Apparently a lot of teams better than us have shown interest in Eller. I think that ought to tell us something. Trading him just to have to replace him would be a mistake. Pleky isn't going to be with us forever, and given the chance, Eller would be an ideal replacement for him.

Apparently a lot of teams better than us have shown interest in Eller. I think that ought to tell us something. Trading him just to have to replace him would be a mistake. Pleky isn't going to be with us forever, and given the chance, Eller would be an ideal replacement for him.

I think what management is contemplating right now is using DLR to replace Eller in the short term and having either McCarron or Hudon replace Pleks in a couple of years. Hopefully this means they foresee Chucky taking over the #1 center role.

From what I've seen, DLR isn't ready to take that step. It's possible he will be in the future, but not at this moment. His Corsi has looked awful in the few games he has been at center and his cycle game isn't where I'd like it to be to take that sort of risk on him at this moment. We kind of need Eller right now, but if we get offered a really good return for him, you have to consider it, as much as I like him. He's one of my favourite Habs and I'd hate to see him leave.