The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Lars Eller

Is he still on the team? :mellow: Has MT MB traded him yet? :lol:

Seriously though. I will be so extremely disappointed if MB moves Eller prior to the deadline... or in the summer.

There are a handful of players on the team that we should be saying deserve to stay here and can be key cogs in building a cup winner. To me, those are Price, Subban, Beaulieu, Petry, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, McCarron, and Eller. These players are all young enough to be important for another 3-4 years. They have all performed well despite bad coaching and a bad system. It would be a shame to see Eller dealt when he's been one of our most solid players and probably our best defensive forward (yes, even better than Plekanec in my view this season).

• 3 months later...

I always thought him to be somewhat underrated, looking forward to see what he can do in Washington.

I'm not convinced that he's going to light it up offensively even in Washington, so we may not see much in the box score. But I have no doubt that he'll end up as a big part of their team, just like he was here (even if our coach didn't always know it :P )

I'm not convinced that he's going to light it up offensively even in Washington, so we may not see much in the box score. But I have no doubt that he'll end up as a big part of their team, just like he was here (even if our coach didn't always know it :P )

Washington has stated they see Eller as a good two-way forward and believe Mtl didn't capitalize on his offensive abilities. They've said he'll get PP time in Washington, although the Caps are so loaded at forward I'm not sure how this will happen... Ovi, Backstrom, Oshie, Kuznetsov, Williams, Johansson, Beagle... Was has done a really good job of adding players with good size AND ability. That's a very deep team. Wouldn't be surprised if trading for Eller was their way of trying to find a shutdown guy to match up against Crosby in the playoffs. Great move for the Caps, not so much for us.

I was really happy on deadline day when Bergevin told Eller he was going nowhere because he was in the team's long term plans. I am not sure what happened between then and now but Im pretty bummed that he's gone.

Its not that im opposed to seeing him moved. Frankly, just about anybody on this team should be *available* for the right price (even our 'untouchables' would be 'touchable' if the price was so incredibly ridiculous that you had to make the deal). What upsets me about this trade is that we got almost nothing for him. Its not even like we got picks we could use this year. Two second rounders is probably not far off 'fair value' for Eller, but we didnt need to move him. Thats the problem. He filled a very important role on this team & I think we're going to really feel that pinch next year. But dont worry, this way DD can get lots of ice time from his buddy MT.

The deal reeks of 'freeing up cap space' which is absolutely ludicrous when the player you are moving is probably one of your top 7 forwards. Why wouldnt you move one of your 8 - 18th ? Further, of the 6 or so guys id rank ahead of him, one (Plekanec) plays a similar game for a considerably higher cap hit and is several years older. Another (DD) is such a bad fit for this team we actually played better when he was out of the lineup for an extended time.

IMHO this is a bad move that Bergevin is going to regret next year. I wish Lars good luck in Washington - i suspect he's going to do quite well there. I dont think he'll ever be a high scoring player but I wouldnt be shocked at all to see him put up career numbers next season.

I still don't see any kind of strategy here. You have a relatively young, proven shutdown center who can pinch in offensively and happens to be the only center on your team with respectable size. If the goal is to win now, which it should be given age/contract status of our core players, why would you move Eller for futures to bring in another middle six guy who plays a different position and will reportedly demand more money/term for a contract extension.

If Cap space was the issue, you move Emelin or DD to make room – not one of the only guys on the roster you don't have an effective replacement for. But hey, we have late second rounders in 2017 and 2018 now, they could really make us a better team in 3-4 years :wacko:

Essentially Eller was dealt for cap space. And then that cap space got used on Shaw (rumored now to be 6 years for close to 4M). So Bergevin's evaluation is that Shaw is more valuable than Eller and so much more valuable that it warranted downgrading two second round draft picks and paying out more salary and term. It shows a complete misunderstanding of the game by the GM.

There's a head-to-head comparison of Eller vs. Shaw on twitter going around, and it shows Eller's offensive production is ahead of Shaw's, and his defensive abilities are far far ahead. The only thing Shaw did better at was shot production, and that was accomplished by playing on a Hawks team that as a whole generated a lot of shot attempts. Just about everything else suggests Eller was the better player and that Bergevin has erred yet again.

It would be one thing if we dealt Eller away for cap space and used that space to sign Stamkos or Okposo. It's a whole other thing to turn Eller's cap space into another plugger on a long-term deal. Fail.

It would be one thing if we dealt Eller away for cap space and used that space to sign Stamkos or Okposo. It's a whole other thing to turn Eller's cap space into another plugger on a long-term deal. Fail.

Yes, that was my point exactly.

Its no secret Eller was one of my favourites but I can stand to see him moved in order to bring in a better player but this sequence of events makes zero sense. Worst still: By comparison, Eller was not a super huge cap savings (Emelin, Markov, Plekanec - all make more money and would appear to be less of a fit with this team) and guys like DD (who seems to have no logical spot on this squad) also remain.

Im really really bummed. Not about losing Eller but that our GM seems completely out to lunch.

That's what Brian MacLellan had to say about Eller:

“We identified Lars probably a year ago,” MacLellan said. “We’ve been asking about him. We’re were trying to find a third-line center, a good two-way guy that can give us a little offense and play defense. Little PK and probably a little power play too. We identified him probably over a year ago and he was on our list this year. We kept trying and making calls to see if we could trade for him. And it happened today.”

“He fits what we need perfectly,” MacLellan said. “He’s got good size, he skates well, he’s got a good skill level, he plays a good two-way game. We’ve been looking to fill that spot for a little while now.”

Video link: https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/746557570815385600

So in essence, Eller's apparently good enough to have one of the best teams in the East actively pursue his services for over a year while Therrien uses him on the wing accommodate his favorites.

Well if nothing else, at least I do feel happy for Eller himself. I'm sure he's going to be playing with a fair-sized chip on his shoulder this season, but I'm sure he'll enjoy playing somewhere where he can actually feel valued.

Well if nothing else, at least I do feel happy for Eller himself. I'm sure he's going to be playing with a fair-sized chip on his shoulder this season, but I'm sure he'll enjoy playing somewhere where he can actually feel valued.

He seems VERY happy

Eller excited to find stability with Capitals

https://www.nhl.com/news/eller-excited-to-find-stability-with-capitals/c-281071820

Think some of his comments were polite parting shots

Definitely.

I get the mentality that you shouldnt have to "coddle' a player but understanding someone's weaknesses & trying to help them work through them is not pandering - especially not when its in the best interest of your team. If you ride a guy like Gallagher, he'll fight back and play even better...but not everyone is like that. For years many of us have been saying that Eller's biggest issue was between the ears. You could see he was incredibly hard on himself. He'd make a mistake, get down on himself and then get in the coach's doghouse & you might as well put him in the pressbox for 10 games.

A smart coach would have seen this & realized that maybe he needs to approach eller a little differently than Gallagher or Patches, or Subban. Rather than berate him, maybe trying to help him refocus. I wonder what a year with Muller would have done if he hadnt been traded.

Who knows, maybe Lars will have the exact same issues in Washington & MT can say "Told you so" to us all. But if Trotz gives him just a little less criticism and helps boost his confidence, vs. killing it, I think we will see a much different player next season & we will regret this trade... a lot.

I think that even just having a single role - third-line shut-down centre - will go a long way towards helping his game. Here there was no telling from day to day whether he would be a centre or a winger, but it goes beyond that.

Based on his line mates and deployment for much of his time here, starting mostly in his own zone, it would seem that he was being asked to play defensively. And he often excelled in that role. But at the same time, we saw him get criticized for not putting up enough points or benched for taking a penalty, two things that are bound to happen when you're playing defense against the other team's top players. From Eller's point of view it must have seemed like he was put into position to fail.

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Looks like he's having a rather underwhelming season so far... 2G and 0A in 16GP. I haven't seen any Caps games this year, has anyone seen him play? Just curious because I definitely expected more.

I watched the Pitt/Caps game the other night, and I hardly noticed him. Whether that's a reflection of how Trotz used him, I'm not sure.

7 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Looks like he's having a rather underwhelming season so far... 2G and 0A in 16GP. I haven't seen any Caps games this year, has anyone seen him play? Just curious because I definitely expected more.

He's leading the Caps in 5-on-5 adjusted Corsi For at 60.15% with the team's third-lowest PDO (data from Corsica.hockey). He's looked okay in the Washington games I've seen. I'd certainly rather have him than Shaw, Danault, or Desharnais.

11 hours ago, habs_93 said:

He's leading the Caps in 5-on-5 adjusted Corsi For at 60.15% with the team's third-lowest PDO (data from Corsica.hockey). He's looked okay in the Washington games I've seen. I'd certainly rather have him than Shaw, Danault, or Desharnais.

Good numbers in that regard, we know what he can do defensively. Would be nice if he scored a little more, but ultimately that's also been his downfall in Montreal. I never agreed with the criticism, I think his production was perfectly fine given the way he was used here.

No argument on Shaw, Danault or Desharnais – I'd still take Eller any day of the week, even though Danault has surprised me this year.

Yeah it seems like (from the games ive seen and what Trotz has said) they really want to lean on him defensively and dont particularly care what his offense is like.   

Will be interesting to see if he does start to score a bit more but so far it seems like the caps are pretty happy with his contribution. 

• 2 months later...

For those of you who have been watching,  Eller started his time in washington very quietly.  He only scored a couple of points in like the first 20 games.

However, Trotz stuck with him and kept lauding his play to the media. "He's played very well for us.  The points will come."   Some fans were a little surprised at his low offense but all seemed satisfied with his overall play and posession numbers.

In his last 15 games Lars has scored 12 points.    Obviously, this is a small sample size but it will be interesting to see if a coach (Trotz) who is willing to give a little leniency and confidence boosting remarks will be a better fit from one (Therrien) who saw Lars as one of his scapegoats.

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

For those of you who have been watching,  Eller started his time in washington very quietly.  He only scored a couple of points in like the first 20 games.

However, Trotz stuck with him and kept lauding his play to the media. "He's played very well for us.  The points will come."   Some fans were a little surprised at his low offense but all seemed satisfied with his overall play and posession numbers.

In his last 15 games Lars has scored 12 points.    Obviously, this is a small sample size but it will be interesting to see if a coach (Trotz) who is willing to give a little leniency and confidence boosting remarks will be a better fit from one (Therrien) who saw Lars as one of his scapegoats.

With Burakovsky now out, rumor is that Eller will start getting PP time now too, so his numbers might actually get better. He also remains a beast with respect to possession, and ranks 12th in the league at 5v5 Corsi. Most of the players ahead of him are either Bruins or Kings, and he's also got one of the highest relative Corsi's in the league, indicating Eller is a great possession player even relative to the system he's playing in. Of note, PK Subban is also near the top of the league in possession metrics as well, so we clearly traded away two pretty valuable players in order to fit in two less valuable guys.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

leafs radio (i live in toronto and drive around in a truck all morning) had a ton of positive things to say about lars throughout the first round. 

obviously P.K trade gets the most abuse , for good reason, but after a full season I think the eller for shaw/desharnais move has turned out to be a rather obvious monumental mistake.

On 5/13/2017 at 8:31 AM, jeff33 said:

leafs radio (i live in toronto and drive around in a truck all morning) had a ton of positive things to say about lars throughout the first round. 

obviously P.K trade gets the most abuse , for good reason, but after a full season I think the eller for shaw/desharnais move has turned out to be a rather obvious monumental mistake.

Yeah, it would have been nice to have him on our roster.  I think he would have looked a LOT better in the top 6 than the options we had - and who knows, Julien may have actually given him a chance there!