The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Zack Kassian

Bob McKenzie: On NHL-NHLPA program (Kassian), Stage 1 can be voluntary or mandatory depending on circumstances but there is rarely public acknowledgement.

And: Stage 1 is with pay. But any violation of Stage 1 conditions (can be very strict) leads to automatic entry to Stage 2, suspended without pay

And: There is always public acknowledgment of Stage 2 because the player is suspended without pay. Once in Stage 2, only doctors can reinstate.

Bold is mine.

I apologize if my words are too honest and it offends anyone but Kassian is only twenty four and guys don't really mature until we reach twenty five. MB needs to get off his high horse, focus on getting Zk the help he needs, and look at the real flaws of this team=Therrien and Desharnais. Until he opens his eyes in regards to the real problem why the habs won't win a cup, (MT couldn't do it in Pittsburgh) he shouldn't say more than, "Zack Kassian was in a car accident caused by a female driver. He should have known better, but we will get him the help he needs and take it from there."

Guest Regis2

he shouldn't say more than, "Zack Kassian was in a car accident caused by a female driver. He should have known better, but we will get him the help he needs and take it from there."

He did say he should know better and they are getting him help.

Whoa. Yeah, lot more to it imho. This is very surprising. have to wonder if he had other issues like coming to practice under the influence or something. Considering he's only been in montreal a short time this is very surprising news. Trying to look at it glass half full: maybe this is exactly what he needs and he will get help, get a fresh start & becoming the power forward everyone seems to think he is capable of becoming!

Im almost positive one of the reports (maybe HIO) noted that it was in face his truck (police report said it was the male passenger's vehicle).

I think there's been a lot of mis-reporting going on with respect to the incident. As far as I can tell, this is what we know as fact:

1. Kassian was involved in a car accident.

2. He was not the driver.

3. The accident occurred in the early hours of the morning (around 6:30AM)

4. Kassian was in the car with a 20 year-old female driving and another 18-year old female.

5. Kassian has been suspended without pay and subjected to rehab.

6. Kassian has a broken ankle and nose.

What we don't know for sure:

1. Whether it was Kassian's truck. There seem to be reports it was, but a lot of the re-telling of this story came from the first tweet about it. This tweet was from a guy in the building near the crash who claimed Kassian came stumbling out of his truck all bloodied. I don't know whether we know the truck is Kassian's or whether news reports just took that tweet's assumption that the truck was Kassian's and ran with it. Regardless, I don't think the ownership of the truck is an issue that would get Kassian suspended.

2. Whether anyone was intoxicated or on drugs. Again, there are reports the driver was drunk and when three young people are driving at 6:30AM and crash, there's going to be that assumption. We have no idea whether Kassian was intoxicated, but again, if he wasn't driving, that's not illegal.

3. That Kassian is being subjected to rehab for substance abuse. It was very clear that it could also be because of behavior, not necessarily related to substance abuse.

Based on the information we have available, there isn't a single fact that would suggest Kassian did anything illegal. There isn't anything that suggests Kassian would need to go to rehab. There isn't anything that would suggest he should be suspended, even though he clearly displayed bad judgment by staying out until 6AM and supposedly getting in a car with a drunk driver. I will add that many Habs players (for example Chelios, Corson, AK46, SK74, Ribeiro, etc.) have been accused of partying late and so on, and while many showed other bad habits that they were disciplined for (like showing up late for practice or arguing with the coach), they weren't directly suspended for staying out late. I still believe there is a piece of information we are missing to justify the suspension and rehab. Maybe Kassian has previously been disciplined for alcohol or drugs and had some kind of limits on what he was allowed to do. Maybe Kassian was found to have had some type of drug in his system. I don't think being an intoxicated passenger is grounds for suspension. I don't think staying out late is grounds for suspension or rehab. If that's all there was, I think the NHLPA will be appealing that suspension and would likely win, as the Habs don't have grounds to control a player's off-ice behavior so long as it's not illegal. To me, there's something else there and something the players/team seems to know about that we don't, as no one seemed to be surprised he was involved in this type of incident.

Just to add to what I wrote, Bob McKenzie tweeting that an violation of Stage 1 conditions (which "can be very strict") leads to an automatic suspension and Stage 2 discipline. So this could simply be that Kassian had an issue with alcohol or substance previously in Buffalo or Vancouver and that one of the terms of his deal was that he couldn't be in the car with a driver who was drinking or that he couldn't be drinking in public or so on... doesn't necessarily mean he did much wrong this time around.

And another good comparison.. Ryan O'Reilly was this summer driving drunk and crashed into a Tim Horton's. Yet that story seems to have been swept under the rug and he's not missing a game, not going to rehab, not being suspended without pay.

Guest Regis2

... doesn't necessarily mean he did much wrong this time around.

it's Montreal, everything gets magnified.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/jack-todd-kassian-has-created-a-major-distraction-on-eve-of-regular-season

"The good news for Kassian is he wasn’t driving and he isn’t facing DUI charges. But when you come to town with a reputation, your behaviour is going to be scrutinized. And when you’re involved in something like this before the season starts, the level of scrutiny will be off the charts."

"The Canadiens are not the Chicago Blackhawks, who tolerated a truckload of this stuff from Patrick Kane before he got himself involved in a ***** investigation and then refused to suspend the guy. Montreal has a reputation to uphold and it takes that reputation seriously. There was a lot of minor stuff going on when Bob Gainey and Pierre Gauthier were running the show, all of which came to an abrupt end when Marc Bergevin took over. But Kassian is new and perhaps he didn’t get the message. "

And another good comparison.. Ryan O'Reilly was this summer driving drunk and crashed into a Tim Horton's. Yet that story seems to have been swept under the rug and he's not missing a game, not going to rehab, not being suspended without pay.

From CBCsports: " The impaired driving case involving Buffalo Sabres forward Ryan O'Reilly has been adjourned until Oct. 22.

A lawyer for the 24-year-old O'Reilly appeared in court Thursday on his behalf. It's the third time the case has been adjourned."

Guest habs1952

I apologize if my words are too honest and it offends anyone but Kassian is only twenty four and guys don't really mature until we reach twenty five. MB needs to get off his high horse, focus on getting Zk the help he needs, and look at the real flaws of this team=Therrien and Desharnais. Until he opens his eyes in regards to the real problem why the habs won't win a cup, (MT couldn't do it in Pittsburgh) he shouldn't say more than, "Zack Kassian was in a car accident caused by a female driver. He should have known better, but we will get him the help he needs and take it from there."

LOL....you can find kids 8 years old out working to help support their families. "Spoiled brats don't really mature until they reach twenty five" would have fit better.

From CBCsports: " The impaired driving case involving Buffalo Sabres forward Ryan O'Reilly has been adjourned until Oct. 22.

A lawyer for the 24-year-old O'Reilly appeared in court Thursday on his behalf. It's the third time the case has been adjourned."

Something fishy going on there.

Guest Regis2

Just to add to what I wrote, Bob McKenzie tweeting that an violation of Stage 1 conditions (which "can be very strict") leads to an automatic suspension and Stage 2 discipline. So this could simply be that Kassian had an issue with alcohol or substance previously in Buffalo or Vancouver and that one of the terms of his deal was that he couldn't be in the car with a driver who was drinking or that he couldn't be drinking in public or so on... doesn't necessarily mean he did much wrong this time around.

Yup

He did nothing wrong this time except maybe violated the conditions of Stage 1, as such he automatically goes to Stage 2

I don't know how Patrick Kane , with his all his drunk escapades , manages to elude any form of re hab .

Yup

He did nothing wrong this time except maybe violated the conditions of Stage 1, as such he automatically goes to Stage 2

I don't know how Patrick Kane , with his all his drunk escapades , manages to elude any form of re hab .

See Bill Wirtz, one of the most powerfull owners in the NHL. JMO

1. He put himself in a bad situation, at the least.

2. He is entering a program to get help.

3. He should be supported in his recovery efforts.

I am glad that all members of the organization will have the opportunity to learn from this experience.

I only hope that Kassian learns from it as well.

1. Whether it was Kassian's truck. There seem to be reports it was, but a lot of the re-telling of this story came from the first tweet about it. This tweet was from a guy in the building near the crash who claimed Kassian came stumbling out of his truck all bloodied. I don't know whether we know the truck is Kassian's or whether news reports just took that tweet's assumption that the truck was Kassian's and ran with it. Regardless, I don't think the ownership of the truck is an issue that would get Kassian suspended.

RDS also reported it was his vehicle.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/ch-zack-kassian-sur-le-programme-relatif-aux-abus-de-substances-et-a-la-sante-comportementale-1.2629226

It's not so much an issue of the ownership of the truck leading to a suspension as it is poor judgement in allowing somebody else (likely intoxicated ) to drive your vehicle.

Hopefully something good comes from this suspension and the kid turns his life around.

1. He put himself in a bad situation, at the least.

2. He is entering a program to get help.

3. He should be supported in his recovery efforts.

I am glad that all members of the organization will have the opportunity to learn from this experience.

I only hope that Kassian learns from it as well.

Despite what the NHL may mandate for these situations, I believe that the Habs will go "above and beyond" normal help, not only to protect their reputations, but to genuinely help Kassian. IMO, teams like Florida, Columbus, Arizona, and some others might just go thru the motions to help a player.

Despite what the NHL may mandate for these situations, I believe that the Habs will go "above and beyond" normal help, not only to protect their reputations, but to genuinely help Kassian. IMO, teams like Florida, Columbus, Arizona, and some others might just go thru the motions to help a player.

I genuinely do believe, Bergevin especially, will go above and beyond. He took a chance on Kassian, only to be disappointed by him. If it were a matter of a player simply not working out on the ice, that's professional. With this kind of situation, it's more personal.

It looks better for both Bergevin and Kassian, if he is able to recover and return to the lineup and be a contributing member of the team.

I genuinely do believe, Bergevin especially, will go above and beyond. He took a chance on Kassian, only to be disappointed by him. If it were a matter of a player simply not working out on the ice, that's professional. With this kind of situation, it's more personal.

It looks better for both Bergevin and Kassian, if he is able to recover and return to the lineup and be a contributing member of the team.

You can tell Bergevin truly cares about his players which is refreshing to see coming from a GM. I wish Kassian a speedy recovery and hope he's back in the lineup soon.

Disappointed with Kassian :wacko: over the drug abuse stuff, rather than the accident. This therapy thing is going to take far longer than injury recovery.

Had been looking so much forward to his contribution on the 3rd line RW. Sheesh!

There was a lot of poor judgement on Kassian's part, for sure. Addictions and substance abuse are tough battles and I think the course of action taken by the league, team, and player's association is the best for Kassian. I hope he's able to work through his issues. Much better for all involved, in my opinion, than looking for a way to terminate his contract.

Two things:

1) Men are supposed to mature well before 25. If they don't then they usually never do. There's a reason not every under 25 in this league is a basket case.

2) I value a GM who speaks honestly with the fans. Fool Vancouver 400 times, shame on you; fool us once, shame on us. We'll see how he is when he comes back, but he's, rightly so, on a short leash now.

Two things:

1) Men are supposed to mature well before 25. If they don't then they usually never do. There's a reason not every under 25 in this league is a basket case.

2) I value a GM who speaks honestly with the fans. Fool Vancouver 400 times, shame on you; fool us once, shame on us. We'll see how he is when he comes back, but he's, rightly so, on a short leash now.

The frontal lobe, which is the part of the brain responsible for impulse control and judgement doesn't fully develop until 25 or sometimes later.

Guest habs1952

The frontal lobe, which is the part of the brain responsible for impulse control and judgement doesn't fully develop until 25 or sometimes later.

No disrespect but I'm tired of hearing that excuse even if it is scientific. People start learning right from wrong at a very early age. If what you say is true then why isn't every one of us losing control or making poor judgements?

This. The player is better served when their issues are made apparent. Hiding them does not lead to resolution.

Two things:

No disrespect but I'm tired of hearing that excuse even if it is scientific. People start learning right from wrong at a very early age. If what you say is true then why isn't every one of us losing control or making poor judgements?

Everyone's brain is wired differently and there are large variances of external factors in any person's mental development such as outside influences and experience.

You can't determine someone's level of maturity by their age, in either direction. There are 30 year old people who act like children, just as there are 15 year old people who behave like adults. It is equally ill-informed to rationalize or to condemn someone's behavior solely based on their age.

This. The player is better served when their issues are made apparent. Hiding them does not lead to resolution.

Everyone's brain is wired differently and there are large variances of external factors in any person's mental development such as outside influences and experience.

You can't determine someone's level of maturity by their age, in either direction. There are 30 year old people who act like children, just as there are 15 year old people who behave like adults. It is equally ill-informed to rationalize or to condemn someone's behavior solely based on their age.

Well said, on both accounts.

We see the world through our own eyes and maybe - I know I did - we thought back to when we were in our mid-twenties, maybe we'd have made better (more sensible) choices in a similar situation. Or maybe we wouldn't have, because we were young & carefree or for whatever reason.

Thing is, our eyes aren't the same as his. It's not about scientific frontal lobes so much as circumstances and situations. For whatever reason, Kassian has allegedly had difficulty with relation to substance (ab)use in the past and it is still an issue. I hope he's able to get the help he needs through the Level 2 program. A lot of people with similar struggles don't have the opportunities he does.

Substance abuse is usually form of self-medication for unresolved issues. Hopefully he can get to some resolution, but he may have been interviewed and warned of consequences if he failed his obligations. Hope he recovers and has a good career, but I am not sure it is meant to be with this organization and the empahsis it has on upholding certain expectations from its players as the man he was traded for may have crossed the line here by simply complaining in appropriately in the playoffs.