The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Zack Kassian

I apologize if my words are too honest and it offends anyone but Kassian is only twenty four and guys don't really mature until we reach twenty five. MB needs to get off his high horse, focus on getting Zk the help he needs, and look at the real flaws of this team=Therrien and Desharnais. Until he opens his eyes in regards to the real problem why the habs won't win a cup, (MT couldn't do it in Pittsburgh) he shouldn't say more than, "Zack Kassian was in a car accident caused by a female driver. He should have known better, but we will get him the help he needs and take it from there."

Sorry, but this is a poor excuse for bad behaviour. "We don't mature till 25" because "our frontal lobes aren't developed"

No, this is a case of bad parenting and a selfish individual. Yes it's possible Kassian had other issues he was dealing with but the argument that "well he's just a kid" doesn't wash. For starters, many studies show that even toddlers know right from wrong. And in Kassian's case he was most definitely aware that using a controlled narcotic is wrong. I wish him well, but he made a choice ... plain and simple.

Personally I didn't like the signing from the beginning .

The guy was on his 3rd NHL team in 4 yrs .

There was a reason he couldn't stick with BUffalo or Vancouver and MT knew about his issues and decided to give him a chance .

And his lack of character showed .

But I hope he gets the help he needs . He's too young to be dealing with the issues he has .

Sorry, but this is a poor excuse for bad behaviour. "We don't mature till 25" because "our frontal lobes aren't developed"

No, this is a case of bad parenting and a selfish individual. Yes it's possible Kassian had other issues he was dealing with but the argument that "well he's just a kid" doesn't wash. For starters, many studies show that even toddlers know right from wrong. And in Kassian's case he was most definitely aware that using a controlled narcotic is wrong. I wish him well, but he made a choice ... plain and simple.

This is a gross oversimplification in my opinion. Different brains react differently to different stimuli; this is not about making excuses. It is unrealistic to expect every person to fit into our own self-defined societal mold of "maturity" by a predetermined age. I feel like people commonly forget that our species has only lived in structured modern societies for a fraction of our existence, and many of us are not wired to live this way. I'll stop there before I get too "sciency", but I feel like blaming the parents and comparing completely separate cases involving completely different individuals is far too easy of an answer and really brushes aside the underlying causes of behaviour.

Kassian evidently made some bad choices when he was younger that have led to an apparent addiction. Addiction really does change everything, as it changes the physical makeup of the sufferer's brain. It goes beyond what is "right and wrong" at this point. Of course he is ultimately responsible for his actions, but with a problem as widespread as addiction, I think some of us are being too hard on a person who is clearly going through some very difficult and trying challenges. Passing off the science behind the actions of someone who may even be self-medicating a mental illness, is intellectually irresponsible.

This is a gross oversimplification in my opinion. Different brains react differently to different stimuli; this is not about making excuses. It is unrealistic to expect every person to fit into our own self-defined societal mold of "maturity" by a predetermined age. I feel like people commonly forget that our species has only lived in structured modern societies for a fraction of our existence, and many of us are not wired to live this way. I'll stop there before I get too "sciency", but I feel like blaming the parents and comparing completely separate cases involving completely different individuals is far too easy of an answer and really brushes aside the underlying causes of behaviour.

Kassian evidently made some bad choices when he was younger that have led to an apparent addiction. Addiction really does change everything, as it changes the physical makeup of the sufferer's brain. It goes beyond what is "right and wrong" at this point. Of course he is ultimately responsible for his actions, but with a problem as widespread as addiction, I think some of us are being too hard on a person who is clearly going through some very difficult and trying challenges. Passing off the science behind the actions of someone who may even be self-medicating a mental illness, is intellectually irresponsible.

This is a very refreshing statement. Very well said indeed.

Come on.....you KNOW it's risky to allow some drunk youngster to drive your car recklessly with you in it. You KNOW it's unhealthy (and illegal, in most instances) to put those "substances" into your body before you do it -- especially if you have done it many times before. You KNOW that along with being paid to be a professional athlete comes certain responsibilities that may not be present for such glorious jobs as, say, flipping burgers or delivering newspapers.

Bad parenting, slow brain/frontal lobe development, addictive personality all aside, Kassian either KNEW or SHOULD HAVE KNOWN all these things the first time he signed an NHL contract. (If you can't read, you can still have it explained to you.) If he wants to throw away his potential career as a professional hockey player, he will do it with the full knowledge of the repercussions of his actions, and not because he's "not in control" of himself.

I've read that the great majority of the time, people commit crimes not because they don't know it's wrong, but because they think they can get away with it. I agree with that reasoning. Nobody forced Kassian to make the decisions he made. I believe he knew, at all times, they were stupid choices, but that he thought he could get away with them.

Sometimes the toughest lessons are the most lasting. But some people never learn. Why? Because they can't? No, because they don't want to.

Come on.....you KNOW it's risky to allow some drunk youngster to drive your car recklessly with you in it. You KNOW it's unhealthy (and illegal, in most instances) to put those "substances" into your body before you do it -- especially if you have done it many times before. You KNOW that along with being paid to be a professional athlete comes certain responsibilities that may not be present for such glorious jobs as, say, flipping burgers or delivering newspapers.

Bad parenting, slow brain/frontal lobe development, addictive personality all aside, Kassian either KNEW or SHOULD HAVE KNOWN all these things the first time he signed an NHL contract. (If you can't read, you can still have it explained to you.) If he wants to throw away his potential career as a professional hockey player, he will do it with the full knowledge of the repercussions of his actions, and not because he's "not in control" of himself.

I've read that the great majority of the time, people commit crimes not because they don't know it's wrong, but because they think they can get away with it. I agree with that reasoning. Nobody forced Kassian to make the decisions he made. I believe he knew, at all times, they were stupid choices, but that he thought he could get away with them.

Sometimes the toughest lessons are the most lasting. But some people never learn. Why? Because they can't? No, because they don't want to.

Impulse control or a lack of it can be difficult for all of us in a given situation. If you lack it you are more likely to have severe problems with the law. I don't believe anyone has asked to have it as part of their development but our prisons are full of people who have little or no impulse control. Many addicts know doing drugs or drinking and driving is wrong, but can they stop themselves from doing it? I don't know anyone who hasn;t done something they should not have done, but for most it is an occasional mistake and not a pattern of self destructive behaviour. This may appear as though they don't want to change (I am sure some dig in and are truly defiant which is more related to depression and anxiety) but self-destructive behaviour I would suggest is a little more complex than not wanting to and perhaps more related to not knowing how to or having the necessary social skills/resources to change.

Impulse control or a lack of it can be difficult for all of us in a given situation. If you lack it you are more likely to have severe problems with the law. I don't believe anyone has asked to have it as part of their development but our prisons are full of people who have little or no impulse control. Many addicts know doing drugs or drinking and driving is wrong, but can they stop themselves from doing it? I don't know anyone who hasn;t done something they should not have done, but for most it is an occasional mistake and not a pattern of self destructive behaviour. This may appear as though they don't want to change (I am sure some dig in and are truly defiant which is more related to depression and anxiety) but self-destructive behaviour I would suggest is a little more complex than not wanting to and perhaps more related to not knowing how to or having the necessary social skills/resources to change.

This. Well said.

• 4 weeks later...

Has there been other players who have gone through this program in the recent past? I'm just curious about how long it might be before we hear some news on Zack.

Jordin Tootoo was in it I believe. Theo Fleury was in stage 3. I think the length of time would probably differ from player to player though.

We could really use him right now. Unfortunately, I cant imagine him being less than a month away (at best). I still think he has top 6 potential and would love to see us try Eller - Galchenyuk - Kassian I think thats just the right combination of skill and forecheck to make Kassian develop into the player he clearly has the skills to be.

How soon can he be out of rehab and back on ice?

I have no idea but doesn't depend on him?

Yeah no way of knowing at this point. Assuming everything went well & he's cleared to leave rehab one has to assume he has at least a few weeks of conditioning before we can see him on the ice again but who knows, maybe he's been training in private & just needs a few scrimmages to get him closer to game shape.

Yeah no way of knowing at this point. Assuming everything went well & he's cleared to leave rehab one has to assume he has at least a few weeks of conditioning before we can see him on the ice again but who knows, maybe he's been training in private & just needs a few scrimmages to get him closer to game shape.

kind of funny how when you see the shake out, its pretty obvious MB was hedging his bets with semin and kassian. i think his thought was between the 2 of them one would work out hahaa

it would be pretty timely for him to come back asap

kind of funny how when you see the shake out, its pretty obvious MB was hedging his bets with semin and kassian. i think his thought was between the 2 of them one would work out hahaa

it would be pretty timely for him to come back asap

Tough to say. I think you're right although I think they felt like Kassian would be fighting with DSP for 4th line duties (despite the fact that Kassian is probably more inclined towards a skill-game, regardless of his size)

Certainly would be a great opportunity for him if he came back now.

That said, im kind of curious to see Mitchell on the 2nd line. Chances are that he cant be a true top 6 player but it seems to me that early in his career in SJ they thought he had top 6 wing potential & since then he really hasnt been given much of a shot there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hearing that by next Thursday, Kassian will have completed his obligatory stage II rehab. Is this correct??

Haven't heard a thing on him.

Ditto, and I don't know if rehab would have an obligatory period.... It wouldn't make sense to me as you can't just go poof your problem is gone.

That said, I know like the IR and stuff there are mandatory minimums; but that's more guideline.