The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Zack Kassian

Yeah my guess is that next thursday is the *minimum a guy can be out for when on mandatory rehab. How long beyond that would be up to the doctors, the player etc. Hoping he's 'all better' but chances are this is a deep seeded issue that will take some time to correct.

• 2 weeks later...

EOTP as well ... http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2015/12/15/10220134/zack-kassian-has-been-reinstated-by-the-nhl-and-nhlpa-rehab

Good news for Kassian. He must be making progress in his treatment. I would expect him to remain on the IR until the new year at least, after that he'll have to get back in to game shape and practices, probably a 2 week conditioning stint, so I'd say closer to February for his return (assuming we don't decide to waive him, which I honestly don't think Bergevin would do before giving him a chance).

EOTP as well ... http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2015/12/15/10220134/zack-kassian-has-been-reinstated-by-the-nhl-and-nhlpa-rehab

Good news for Kassian. He must be making progress in his treatment. I would expect him to remain on the IR until the new year at least, after that he'll have to get back in to game shape and practices, probably a 2 week conditioning stint, so I'd say closer to February for his return (assuming we don't decide to waive him, which I honestly don't think Bergevin would do before giving him a chance).

Yeah. I hope he gets a chance. If Montreal just waives him I think that would be a mistake.

Wow, instantly put on waivers. I figure it's for some time in the AHL and I don't imagine anyone would claim him right now.

Yeah. I hope he gets a chance. If Montreal just waives him I think that would be a mistake.

http://www.tsn.ca/habs-forward-kassian-cleared-to-return-placed-on-waivers-1.409549

Guess I read Bergevin wrong. He must be really disappointed in Kassian.

Not that I believe he will be claimed, but the fact that we are so quickly prepared to allow that possibility tells me that we don't believe he has a place on the roster. If he clears, I would guess he's going to have to prove he has character before getting another shot.

This one is a bit tough to call at this point. As others have suggested, the waivers thing almost certainly is so that he can be sent down to the minors to get his game going (conditioning is only for a short period of time & Im guessing they would want him down there for a month or 2).

On the other hand, maybe MB is so unhappy he's just giving up on him. On the surface that would be a very bad call (not even giving the guy a chance) but we dont know about the behind the scenes stuff.

Im hopeful he doesnt get claimed, can get back to speed in the AHL & come join the big club in the new year. Im still of the belief that he has a chance to be an impact player with our team. Lets hope he gets the chance.

This one is a bit tough to call at this point. As others have suggested, the waivers thing almost certainly is so that he can be sent down to the minors to get his game going (conditioning is only for a short period of time & Im guessing they would want him down there for a month or 2).

On the other hand, maybe MB is so unhappy he's just giving up on him. On the surface that would be a very bad call (not even giving the guy a chance) but we dont know about the behind the scenes stuff.

Im hopeful he doesnt get claimed, can get back to speed in the AHL & come join the big club in the new year. Im still of the belief that he has a chance to be an impact player with our team. Lets hope he gets the chance.

i agree with you Jed,,,, it seems to me to be the "carrot and stick" approach. He knows what the NHL (carrot) is all about, and he's about to find out what the AHL (stick) is all about. If he puts his mind to it, he could be playing for another 10 years earning 2-5 mil. per (just a guess). If not,,, then it's a career AHLer or a buy-out. It's up to him.

Guest habs1952

Wow, instantly put on waivers. I figure it's for some time in the AHL and I don't imagine anyone would claim him right now.

My sentiments also. I don't think the Habs are gonna waste a spot in the lineup for someone out of shape if they don't have to unless it's one of our top players. Especially considering how well the callups have been playing,

Yeah with them not even giving him a conditioning stint, it looks like he's probably done as a Hab. Even if he was to clear and play well in the AHL, he could get claimed on the way back up. If this is the case, I'm not a fan of this move at all. Giving up on another RW without even giving him a chance to redeem himself when we are in desperate need of a skill player there doesn't seem smart. It looks like MB is kind of allowing emotion to dictate his actions and I find that a little unprofessional.

Guest habs1952

Yeah with them not even giving him a conditioning stint, it looks like he's probably done as a Hab. Even if he was to clear and play well in the AHL, he could get claimed on the way back up. If this is the case, I'm not a fan of this move at all. Giving up on another RW without even giving him a chance to redeem himself when we are in desperate need of a skill player there doesn't seem smart. It looks like MB is kind of allowing emotion to dictate his actions and I find that a little unprofessional.

But we don't know if MB gave Kassian an ultimatum before the trade or when he arrived in Montreal. Shape up or ship out. Kassians already had two chances, here and in Vancouver so really, if MB is cutting him loose, it's all Kassian's fault.

Re-entry waivers were eliminated in the new CBA. (Just FYI)

But we don't know if MB gave Kassian an ultimatum before the trade or when he arrived in Montreal. Shape up or ship out. Kassians already had two chances, here and in Vancouver so really, if MB is cutting him loose, it's all Kassian's fault.

Not that we can know for sure, but that may be the case. Benefit of the doubt to Bergevin on this one.

MB mentioned the Habs knew of his issues and talked to him about it . Then he said he was very disappointed and it showed a lack of character.

What other team would claim this guy now, knowing what everyone knows .

I'd be surprised if he's claimed coming out of his rehab stint and being a big question mark, so if MB is able to sneak him down to the minors, allow him to find his game, and bring him back into the line-up, this could be a good move. If he's doing this for the purpose of releasing or burying him, it's a mistake IMO.

History has shown us that young players make mistakes. You look at guys like Ovechkin, Heatley, Chelios, Tyler Seguin, etc... all guys who got into trouble or liked to party in their earlier years and who went on to have pretty decent success thereafter. This is not an athlete who killed someone or who abused his wife/girlfriend or even did anything illegal. Yes, he broke conditions of his deal, but at the end of the day, he was a passenger in a motor vehicle accident. I'd like to think you have a bit more forgiveness for such a thing. Heck, Stu Cowan wrote an article in the Gazette today mentioning that Carey Price was a party animal when he first got to the league and that with time, he's become more accountable for his social behavior. To me, it's harsh that Kassian has been dealt this blow. He made a mistake, he's done his time in rehab, I'd like to see him given another chance.

On a hockey level, it's especially bizarre to see us place Kassian on waivers with Galllagher already on the injury list and with Semin being released recently. That means the top three RW we walked into camp with are all essentially out . The Habs sorely lack size up front. They sorely lack a power forward. They sorely lack a guy who can score who is taller than 6 feet. I absolutely believe Kassian has more potential to help than some of the other options right now. As was mentioned, there may be more behind the scenes than we know, but I'd like to see Bergevin get over his personal disappointment in Kassian, give a 24-year old kid another chance, and do what's right for this hockey club at the same time.

I'd be surprised if he's claimed coming out of his rehab stint and being a big question mark, so if MB is able to sneak him down to the minors, allow him to find his game, and bring him back into the line-up, this could be a good move. If he's doing this for the purpose of releasing or burying him, it's a mistake IMO.

Agreed. I still have to believe its a calculated gamble on MB's part - assuming no one will take him & wanting to give him time to get his game back in the AHL. I agree with you that if its simply a 'we're done' move like with Semin, it is a mistake.

On a hockey level, it's especially bizarre to see us place Kassian on waivers with Galllagher already on the injury list and with Semin being released recently. That means the top three RW we walked into camp with are all essentially out . The Habs sorely lack size up front. They sorely lack a power forward. They sorely lack a guy who can score who is taller than 6 feet. I absolutely believe Kassian has more potential to help than some of the other options right now. As was mentioned, there may be more behind the scenes than we know, but I'd like to see Bergevin get over his personal disappointment in Kassian, give a 24-year old kid another chance, and do what's right for this hockey club at the same time.

This logic is why I have to believe the waivers thing is simply to help him find his game.

My problem is with the message you send to your players. Putting another shot for Kassian in a higher priority than getting your core prospects ice-time would be a mistake. Kassian was provided an opportunity and he has decided to break an agreement with the league, and was injured in off ice high risk behaviour. After the Thomas trade, Prust trade and seeing this, I am not expecting to see Kassian back.