The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Zack Kassian

Never liked the trade to begin with.

If he comes back , he's just another 3 rd , 4th liner, which we have plenty of

The difference being he is the only one who has the potential to be a top 6 player. He has the talent. It was a good trade I think. Realistically, how likely would it have been that Prust was a regular player this season anyway? We shed some cap in the process too. It's win-win regardless of whether Kassian ever plays for this team IMO.

My problem is with the message you send to your players. Putting another shot for Kassian in a higher priority than getting your core prospects ice-time would be a mistake. Kassian was provided an opportunity and he has decided to break an agreement with the league, and was injured in off ice high risk behaviour. After the Thomas trade, Prust trade and seeing this, I am not expecting to see Kassian back.

Well, the message that I see being sent here is that if you mess up, you have to work your way back up. The Thomas situation is different (if that's even why they traded him). Kassian has the talent to be a real contributor to this team and has not even played a game yet to show what he is capable of, so they are willing to be slightly more lenient with him especially considering this is a medical issue (addiction). I'm okay with that.

Kassian was a low risk, high reward sort of deal. Its looking like it won't work out but not sure yet. Kassian's got some issues, if gets them figured out he has the potential to be a very solid top 6 guy. Not to mention the cap space (as already pointed out).

I still got my fingers crossed for him, he can make a huge impact

The difference being he is the only one who has the potential to be a top 6 player. He has the talent. It was a good trade I think. Realistically, how likely would it have been that Prust was a regular player this season anyway? We shed some cap in the process too. It's win-win regardless of whether Kassian ever plays for this team IMO.

The word " potential " is used too loosely .

The fact that Buffalo and Vancouver both gave up on him speaks volumes.

"Potential" under Therrien means: put him on the 2nd line, give him 3rd/4th line minutes with unfavourable deployment, and a hair-trigger leash. At best.

Too often, we don't get to see a player get a fair shake here, unfortunately. Not that I think Zack could be the answer to our prayers, but I bet he'd be better than some of our recent moves/shufflings under a smarter regime. Same with Semin's treatment. Why he got next to 0 PP time is beyond me, for starters. Meh, let him go and let's run with randomly shuffling around 5+ AHLers.

He was asked by the Habs not to bother reporting to the Ice Caps coming out of the break. Therrien says "there is information I can't divulge" for now. Certainly looks like he's either going to be traded or released coming out of the roster freeze.

Might be a "throw-in" as I can't see him being trade on his own.

Not even for a 6th or 7th round pick?

I don't see why a team would take on his contract for a 6th or 7th pick when they could have done the same on the waiver wire without giving up the pick. I'd have to assume if he's traded then we'd have to take somebody else's problem back in return

I don't see why a team would take on his contract for a 6th or 7th pick when they could have done the same on the waiver wire without giving up the pick. I'd have to assume if he's traded then we'd have to take somebody else's problem back in return

Because in a trade, the team dealing away the player can retain salary, which might make it more intriguing for the other side. Teams also have to pay a small fee when they make a waiver claim (which we never think about but which is something else that doesn't come into play with a trade). Agree with you that it is unlikely someone suddenly wants him, but there are sometimes reasons... as I said, could also be the Habs just plan on releasing him outright.