The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#28 Nathan Beaulieu 2015-2016

ColRouleBleu

I'd like to see him start on the second pairing with Petry, and as the season goes on, transition him on to the top air with PK. Let him ease his way to the top pairing.

I'm still wondering why everyone thinks he's that close to this happening. He had a great junior career and he's shown good puck control and flashes of leadership qualities with us last year. But he had an extended stay with us this year with a lot of looks on the 2nd line pairing and I suppose he looked fine but not exceptional for that opportunity. He didn't surprise me is what I'm saying, I guess.

I'm still wondering why everyone thinks he's that close to this happening. He had a great junior career and he's shown good puck control and flashes of leadership qualities with us last year. But he had an extended stay with us this year with a lot of looks on the 2nd line pairing and I suppose he looked fine but not exceptional for that opportunity. He didn't surprise me is what I'm saying, I guess.

I think he's been suggested as PKs partner out of necessity. Its no secret that Markov looked absolutely spent in the post season after putting up way too many minutes in the regular season on the first pairing. Petry is right handed and the perfect 2nd pairing guy - so the logical move would be to swap Markov & Beau - easing Markov's workload. The only question is whether Beaulieu can handle the minutes and while I would agree with you that he hasnt actually shown that he can (yet) I also dont see anything that makes me worried he cant either.

He still projects as a #2-3 dman so lets see what he's got. I think it makes more sense than overworking Markov for yet another year.

I think he's been suggested as PKs partner out of necessity. Its no secret that Markov looked absolutely spent in the post season after putting up way too many minutes in the regular season on the first pairing. Petry is right handed and the perfect 2nd pairing guy - so the logical move would be to swap Markov & Beau - easing Markov's workload. The only question is whether Beaulieu can handle the minutes and while I would agree with you that he hasnt actually shown that he can (yet) I also dont see anything that makes me worried he cant either.

He still projects as a #2-3 dman so lets see what he's got. I think it makes more sense than overworking Markov for yet another year.

Agreed.

Subban needs a more mobile partner that is willing to be defensively responsible and aware enough to back up his play with the puck. Putting Tinordi or Beaulieu in that role now, and giving them time to build a working relationship on the ice, can ensure we have that for the majority of Subban's contract. Beaulieu seems more ready at this time.

It isn't a huge concern, because we have Markov for insurance right now and Subban has already shown the ability to carry the load in a pairing. Beaulieu can be eased in this season.

Agreed.

Subban needs a more mobile partner that is willing to be defensively responsible and aware enough to back up his play with the puck. Putting Tinordi or Beaulieu in that role now, and giving them time to build a working relationship on the ice, can ensure we have that for the majority of Subban's contract. Beaulieu seems more ready at this time.

It isn't a huge concern, because we have Markov for insurance right now and Subban has already shown the ability to carry the load in a pairing. Beaulieu can be eased in this season.

I would like to see Beau and PK on the PP together. PK has more daring but Beau has enough smarts to not get caught.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I can't see why there is so much hype about Nathan being the next great part of the Habs top 4. I'm really not that impressed with his overall play. As a matter of fact, the number of giveaways and bad decisions continue to mount IMO. If this was Tinordi we all know what people would be saying. Giving Nathan a pass because of a supposed potential is hard to accept for me.

I think he has shown he is much more consisten and confident with the puck than Tinordi and believe he is in an excellent position to ply his trade alongside some of the best defencemen in the NHL. The Habs have done a good job maintaining his confidence and not over using him. I am not sure I can say the same thing about Tinordi who seems to be in a rather delicate state. I think having him up in the playoffs a couple of years back may not have helped him at all.

wow being a little tough on the guy no? he is just getting started and looks pretty good playing a regular shift. if he is still making little mistakes in a year or so i will agree with you but i at least find he is progressing well.

Are the little mistakes any different when it comes to Tinordi?

I think he has shown he is much more consistent and confident with the puck than Tinordi and believe he is in an excellent position to ply his trade alongside some of the best defencemen in the NHL. The Habs have done a good job maintaining his confidence and not over using him. I am not sure I can say the same thing about Tinordi who seems to be in a rather delicate state. I think having him up in the playoffs a couple of years back may not have helped him at all.

Beaulieu has been given the greater opportunity IMO. Have the Habs done a good job maintaining Tinordi's confidence? I think your post only strengthens my view that fans/media etc., will simply give Beaulieu the benefit of the doubt and rather jump on the bandwagon of negative comment when it comes to Tinordi. Perhaps the Fact that Tinordi was a #1 draft pick makes expectations higher and negative comment easier for some. I would still rather see Tinordi get the ice time he needs to gain confidence and adjust to the team game (specifically with the current defense pairings).

Beaulieu is 22 years old. For a young defender to be taking a regular NHL shift at that age is quite something, IMO. I don't mind him making mistakes. He has a lot of potential upside, and has shown in the AHL that he can be an offensive threat. He seems the best candidate - right now - to be playing regular minutes. Tinordi or Pateryn will get their chance eventually, but I don't see why anyone would recommend choosing them above Beaulieu in the lineup.

Beaulieu is 22 years old. For a young defender to be taking a regular NHL shift at that age is quite something, IMO. I don't mind him making mistakes. He has a lot of potential upside, and has shown in the AHL that he can be an offensive threat. He seems the best candidate - right now - to be playing regular minutes. Tinordi or Pateryn will get their chance eventually, but I don't see why anyone would recommend choosing them above Beaulieu in the lineup.

First-off I want to say I'm not against Beaulieu playing per se... however, I do believe some have vaunted his performance too much and ignored any discrepancy while not being so understanding with others. I'm not sure he is the best candidate for every game and in every instance. IMO the third pairing is an ideal pairing to platoon, thereby giving the likes of Tinordi-Pateryn valuable in game playing time. Many consider Beaulieu as the defacto replacement for second pairing left-defense... at this point, I simply don't.

First-off I want to say I'm not against Beaulieu playing per se... however, I do believe some have vaunted his performance too much and ignored any discrepancy while not being so understanding with others. I'm not sure he is the best candidate for every game and in every instance. IMO the third pairing is an ideal pairing to platoon, thereby giving the likes of Tinordi-Pateryn valuable in game playing time. Many consider Beaulieu as the defacto replacement for second pairing left-defense... at this point, I simply don't.

I tend to agree with this. Beaulieu appears to me to be a little further along than Tinordi, but almost on par with Pateryn and I think all three should be part of the bottom pairing for most of the year and get more playing time if we have injuries or spell off Markov from time to time. The fact we are keeping all three up indicates a willingness to give them the experience they need to develop and an awareness that we could easily lose them to waivers. I am sure we will be seeing them in the line-up soon.. It is a great position for the team to be in, but not so much the players.

Beaulieu's skating and puck-moving ability put him quite a bit higher on the list than Tinordi and Pateryn; it's not even close IMO. His skating is comparable in ability to Petry's and he can use this attribute to make up for many of his mistakes. He can play physical, although maybe not so much as Pateryn or Tinordi, when he needs to and has a good active stick. I think he has progressed extremely well with the chances he has been given, and personally, I feel like out of all of our defense prospects, he is the only one who is a lock to be a top 4 defender and even has the potential to be a solid #2 down the road. Defensemen tend to mature slower than forwards, and at 22 he looks to be about where I would expect him to be considering how slowly management has transitioned him to the NHL.

Beaulieu's skating and puck-moving ability put him quite a bit higher on the list than Tinordi and Pateryn; it's not even close IMO. His skating is comparable in ability to Petry's and he can use this attribute to make up for many of his mistakes. He can play physical, although maybe not so much as Pateryn or Tinordi, when he needs to and has a good active stick. I think he has progressed extremely well with the chances he has been given, and personally, I feel like out of all of our defense prospects, he is the only one who is a lock to be a top 4 defender and even has the potential to be a solid #2 down the road. Defensemen tend to mature slower than forwards, and at 22 he looks to be about where I would expect him to be considering how slowly management has transitioned him to the NHL.

Agree with everything, especially the bolded part. Also i think his hockey sense seems, thus far, better too - which makes him even better at fixing mistakes (reading where the play will go when he has to play catch up)

Agree with everything, especially the bolded part. Also i think his hockey sense seems, thus far, better too - which makes him even better at fixing mistakes (reading where the play will go when he has to play catch up)

As far as his hockey sense goes, he obviously still has some things to iron out. He makes the odd bad pinch, but really he is already pretty good at picking his spots to carry the puck and when to make an outlet pass rather than fire the puck off the glass. His decision making will only get better with experience. Does anybody else remember where PK was in this department at 22? Four years later, and you'd barely recognize this area of this game.

As far as his hockey sense goes, he obviously still has some things to iron out. He makes the odd bad pinch, but really he is already pretty good at picking his spots to carry the puck and when to make an outlet pass rather than fire the puck off the glass. His decision making will only get better with experience. Does anybody else remember where PK was in this department at 22? Four years later, and you'd barely recognize this area of this game.

Agreed. As he gains more experience the mistakes will limit themselves. I actually have high hopes for him, he reminds me of a young Markov, with better hands.

ideally, as the season goes on, id love to see a swap in pairings, trying Beaulieu with Subban. It would lessen Markov's ice time & give us an even better top 4 imho.

The problem with this is Emelin. He has been playing extremely well beside Petry but im not sure that he would look as good next to Gilbert, even with the lessened ice time/responsibilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Another few games and I still can't see this amazing upside to Nathan's game that is supposedly keeping Tinordi on the sidelines.

Making less young player-type errors, is infinitely more mobile and can make a wider range of passes more consistenly than Tinordi has been able to demonstrate in his time at the big club. Good enough evidence for me at this point.

Another few games and I still can't see this amazing upside to Nathan's game that is supposedly keeping Tinordi on the sidelines.

They are two very different players. The only connection between them is that they are pretty close in age but Beaulieu's play is not what is keeping Tinordi out of teh lineup - or at least it shouldnt be. Tinordi not playing has to do with Therrien not wanting to use him over guys like Emelin or Gilbert. I dont know if this is the right or wrong decision (both emelin and gilbert have played well this year although both, especially gilbert wont be with us forever) but I do know that keeping Tinordi in the pressbox is not helping his development.

As for Beaulieu's upside, at this point he's still dont nothing to show me that he's not capable of being a #2 or 3 dman down the road. Not saying he's proven he will be, but usually by this point you will start to question whether he can be & imho he's done nothing to make me question his potential yet.

They are two very different players. The only connection between them is that they are pretty close in age but Beaulieu's play is not what is keeping Tinordi out of teh lineup - or at least it shouldnt be. Tinordi not playing has to do with Therrien not wanting to use him over guys like Emelin or Gilbert. I dont know if this is the right or wrong decision (both emelin and gilbert have played well this year although both, especially gilbert wont be with us forever) but I do know that keeping Tinordi in the pressbox is not helping his development.

As for Beaulieu's upside, at this point he's still dont nothing to show me that he's not capable of being a #2 or 3 dman down the road. Not saying he's proven he will be, but usually by this point you will start to question whether he can be & imho he's done nothing to make me question his potential yet.

It is obvious to me that you among others are sold on Beaulieu (I'm not) and therefore choose to make Emelin or Gilbert those whom he should be up against (I disagree). Beaulieu is a 3rd pairing d-man right now according to management... and that, to me, is where Tinordi could safely play with less pressure. As of now Emelin is slotted in with Petry. Nothing I can see that Beaulieu has done makes me think there is the potential you speak of.

Archived