The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Devante Smith-Pelly

Doing better than Sekac, Probably!

(I'm terrible at this!) :lol:

At least you use the right letters. ;)

Didn't Skate Period

Didn't See him Play, but he had 9 minutes of ice time, so he must have been out there somewhere.

First game in a while where he has been completely invisible to me.

Of course it's hard to make out the TV when you can't stop shaking your head at it while watching and you can't hear his name in the play by play when you are screaming at your coach, the officials, and the opposing players. <_<

I remain convinced till this day, the Habs lost out on the Sekac trade.

Yeah, time will tell. DSP is still a bit of a mystery to me as I really have a hard time seeing what sort of player he's going to develop into.

Meanwhile, the Ducks havent given Sekac many more chances than the Habs did. He was scratched during much of the playoffs and had minimal success before his injury this year (albeit at only a slightly lower PPG total than DSP).

Im not saying its a slam dunk either way but right now I think its a bit of a wash.

Meanwhile, the Ducks havent given Sekac many more chances than the Habs did. He was scratched during much of the playoffs and had minimal success before his injury this year (albeit at only a slightly lower PPG total than DSP).

If Sekac doesn't pan out successfully in the league, one can argue it's because the Ducks failed to develop him properly. Just like Therrien didn't have enough patience with a young rookie.

Maybe.

Or perhaps both players are just bottom six players who won't produce points with any regularity.

Yeah, again, tough to tell. I think my only problem with that trade is that we might have been able to get DSP for a different player or a pick but if we had done that we likely wouldnt have had ice time for both of them anyway. They are both very different players so its tough to compare them. Im happy enough with DSP and i would have been happy enough about Sekac. Neither would or will be core players imho, although certainly that can change depending upon how they develop.

I honestly think that Sekac has the potential to be a decent 2nd line player and, at worst, a pretty good offensive 3rd line player. DSP's ceiling is a solid third liner IMO but I'm no expert. I just don't see him having the hands or playmaking ability to be more than that. He still is pretty good positionally though and I'm not as upset about this trade as I was when it originally happened.

• 2 weeks later...

he has turned out to be a bust

How so?

I think he's had his ups and downs, but if you look at his previous NHL season stats he's set to meet or exceed most of his previous years' production rates in all areas.

The injury of course didn't help. But he's been stepping up for a role he wasn't really initially brought in for and doing not too shabby.

agreed. there was some hope that he would be an offensive factor citing his big playoffs that one year, but you could tell by his 4th shift as a hab he's a plug.

so basically doing exactly what he can be expected to do, which is be a 4th line grinder oops i mean top 6 winger #we :wub: plugs