The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Everything Else About The Habs

Guest habs1952

Here's an article on how the Quebec taxes affects not only each player on the Habs,,,, but the whole team, and how MB is shackled by the taxes.

From Brian Wilde.

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/call-of-the-wilde-the-taxman-cometh-1.2824870

Yep. The salary cap structure of the NHL gives a particular unfair advantage to teams in states with no state income tax, such as Florida. And we've got two Florida teams in the division to compete with. It's completely ridiculous and indefensible. The solution is obviously not having a salary cap, or at least not a hard cap, but the league hierarchy is apparently in love with the bland mediocrity it imposes. So instead, the only option is measuring the cap in pre-tax USD. I can think of a few other complicated ways to go about it, but that's the fairest and most straightforward way, IMO.

Here's an article on how the Quebec taxes affects not only each player on the Habs,,,, but the whole team, and how MB is shackled by the taxes.

From Brian Wilde.

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/call-of-the-wilde-the-taxman-cometh-1.2824870

Not only the tax burden, but playing anywhere south of the border, in a lot of cases has its advantages for some players as a motivator: Great climate! You can go about in shorts & t-shirts all year round, go to the beach etc, and in the same afternoon or evening suit up for a hockey game. Great cities! Always something to do and never a dull moment.

Aside from tax burdens, these two additional factors are a great incentive and morale boosters.

Guest habs1952

Not only the tax burden, but playing anywhere south of the border, in a lot of cases has its advantages for some players as a motivator: Great climate! You can go about in shorts & t-shirts all year round, go to the beach etc, and in the same afternoon or evening suit up for a hockey game. Great cities! Always something to do and never a dull moment.

Aside from tax burdens, these two additional factors are a great incentive and morale boosters.

Winning is the greatest morale booster.

Guest habs1952

Winning is the greatest morale booster.

• 2 weeks later...

Just something I read.

"The biggest knock against the Canadiens this year was that they were too easy to play against. GM Marc Bergevin needs to add a little size to Montreal’s lineup, particularly on the right side. Brendan Gallagher and Sven Andrighetto are both listed at less than six feet. The rival Bruins, on the verge of being bounced from the playoffs for the second spring in a row, are probably kicking themselves for not getting a return on Loui Eriksson. He remains unsigned. Eriksson isn’t enormous at 6-foot-2, but he would add a little size and a big scoring punch if he’d be interested in flipping to Montreal. Eriksson, 30, has racked up 29 goals and 61 points on Boston’s top line - two totals that would lead the Canadiens this year. Another intriguing UFA would be Kyle Okposo, who played with Max Pacioretty on Team USA’s 2008 World Junior entry."

Bold is mine.

• 2 months later...

In brighter news, HNIC/Sportsnet laid off several employees today and those included Glenn Healy and PJ Stock. Two utterly incompetent, loud-mouthed Leaf/Bruin fans who had no business being on air. Glad to see both of them go.

Guest habs1952

In brighter news, HNIC/Sportsnet laid off several employees today and those included Glenn Healy and PJ Stock. Two utterly incompetent, loud-mouthed Leaf/Bruin fans who had no business being on air. Glad to see both of them go.

I didn't really mind Healy but I sure am glad Strombolopoulos is gone. Strombo was a terrible hiring decision.

I didn't really mind Healy but I sure am glad Strombolopoulos is gone. Strombo was a terrible hiring decision.

Strombo is a smart guy. He just didn't connect well with the average hockey fan.

Healy was a tool. He always had the adage that the louder you talk, the more it makes you sound right. I'm glad the garbage was finally brought out to the curb.

Guest habs1952

You can't make this stuff up. My Habs keychain broke and fell off my keys today.

My PK screen saver is still intact for the moment. :( :(

I'm watching my little Habs flag to see if it will spontaneously combust.

• 2 months later...
Canadiens listed at 25-1 odds to win Stanley Cup.

The Chicago Blackhawks and Pittsburgh Penguins are the co-favourites, both listed at 9-1 odds, followed by the Tampa Bay Lightning and Washington Capitals, both at 10-1.

Other teams with better odds of winning the Cup than the Canadiens, according to Bodog, are the Dallas Stars (12-1), St. Louis Blues (14-1), San Jose Sharks (14-1), Anaheim Ducks (16-1), Florida Panthers (16-1), Los Angeles Kings (16-1) and Nashville Predators (16-1).

Other teams listed at 25-1 along with the Canadiens are the Boston Bruins, Detroit Red Wings, Minnesota Wild, New York Islanders and New York Rangers.

The biggest longshots to win the Cup are the Arizona Coyotes, Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets and Vancouver Canucks, all listed at 66-1.

Noticeably omitted, are the laffs.

• 3 weeks later...