The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Everything Else About The Habs

Guest habs1952

1 hour ago, kinot-1 said:

Ya,,,seen and heard about it, but when you clearly think about the trade, players come and go, but the team lives on, and we're all fans of "The Team". 

Fans of the team, yes. But I think there is a lot of hatred for Bergevin and Therrien for the way they have gone about their business, treated people unfairly, and insulted fans by trading the most loved player and then lying about why. One part of me wants the team to do well, and I still support many of the players on the team. But if we happen to lose and it costs Therrien and Bergevin their jobs, I won't lose any sleep over it. To me, the day they go can't come soon enough.

If we mange our teams to appease the fans the team will fail. I get the emotion. Subban wasn't the first and it would be knaive to think he will be the last. In Edmonton and Toronto they have thrown jerseys on the ice. While the Habs have been and will always be the team I support I am not sure I am ready to give up over the treatment of players we pay up to 9 mil a year for. I am sure PK has moved on and is enjoying his new surroundings. Whether traded or injured players careers change and it has always been a part of sport. Its not always fair, but then what is. This season ticket holder will make some one very happy as tickets aren't that easy to come by. If he is spending that kind of money on tickets he definitely has the right to express his opinion. Personally I might have spent it a little differently. The one thing you get with this team is a great passion for the game.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I seen this in a store today. No, I will not bid on it for anyone, but just thought it was cool. Sorry for the lights. On the left is Jean, I believe next to him is Jacques Plante, and you know the rest. 

GEDC0199.JPG

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

I seen this in a store today. No, I will not bid on it for anyone, but just thought it was cool. Sorry for the lights. On the left is Jean, I believe next to him is Jacques Plante, and you know the rest. 

GEDC0199.JPG

That's really cool.

3 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

GEDC0199.JPG

Geez I'm getting old. I've seen all 5 play. The good old days really existed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From today's presser with Subban in Montreal:

During his 20-minute news conference, Subban talked about how it was “an honour” to have been able to wear a Canadiens jersey for seven seasons.

Subban had dreams of one day seeing his own name and jersey hanging from the Bell Centre rafters, wanting very badly to bring the Stanley Cup to Montreal with his father a lifelong Canadiens fan.

“I think revenge is the wrong word,” Subban said about his feelings going into his first game against the Canadiens. “The only thing that I would be upset about is the fact that I made a promise to the fans and to the organization, the city, about bringing a Stanley Cup back. Not only did I make a promise to the fans, the city and the organization, but I made the promise to teammates as well.”

Subban said he used to talk a lot with Canadiens goalie Carey Price about what it would be like to win a Stanley Cup together in Montreal back when they would celebrate victories with triple low fives that were eventually outlawed by coach Michel Therrien, who was fired last month.

“Not only is it going to be an emotional game, it’s an important one,” Subban said. “Those points are important. It will be a fun game, it will be a fun atmosphere.”

While Subban wanted to finish his career with the Canadiens and wasn’t happy about being traded, he still refuses to say anything negative about the club — at least publicly — or the city.

“I don’t think there’s any question that everybody in Montreal knows that I’m a positive ambassador for this city and for the organization as well,” he said. “I’ve always done that.

“I’m only upset about the opportunity that I didn’t have to bring a Stanley Cup back.”

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/stu-cowan-subban-smooth-as-ever-ahead-of-emotional-return-to-montreal

Interesting Montreal mention in Yost's latest statistical analysis: http://www.tsn.ca/talent/the-defining-characteristics-of-a-cup-contender-1.689870

The suggestion is that Corsi For (shot generation) and Save%, are the strongest factors in cup winning teams over the last decade (discounting lockout season).
Montreal sits at 5th and 3rd respectively. No other team is top 5 in both categories. 

Boston, Toronto, and Pittsburgh are top 3 in CF/60. Pittsburgh has the highest SV% of the three (8th). A stretch of improved save percentage for either divisional rival could make them dangerous should they reach the playoffs.

Washington and Chicago are ahead of us in SV%. They are 11th and 13th in CF/60.

Makes it look like we could be in better shape than we perhaps imagine, if those indicators hold their weight this year. Thought it was interesting.

1 hour ago, RicochetII said:

Interesting Montreal mention in Yost's latest statistical analysis: http://www.tsn.ca/talent/the-defining-characteristics-of-a-cup-contender-1.689870

The suggestion is that Corsi For (shot generation) and Save%, are the strongest factors in cup winning teams over the last decade (discounting lockout season).
Montreal sits at 5th and 3rd respectively. No other team is top 5 in both categories. 

Boston, Toronto, and Pittsburgh are top 3 in CF/60. Pittsburgh has the highest SV% of the three (8th). A stretch of improved save percentage for either divisional rival could make them dangerous should they reach the playoffs.

Washington and Chicago are ahead of us in SV%. They are 11th and 13th in CF/60.

Makes it look like we could be in better shape than we perhaps imagine, if those indicators hold their weight this year. Thought it was interesting.

What's neat about this is that it also matches the... I don't know if I'd call it the "eye test", maybe the "conventional wisdom"?... that goaltending can really steal the show in the playoffs.  Year after year we see some teams get completely barraged with shots against but have a goalie bail them out - turns out they were just taking the right approach all along :P.

We're still only looking at a pretty small group, though.  I wonder how things would shake out if you start to include, say the cup finalists or the division finalists as well?  To my mind the most concrete take-away is something he says in the middle of the article: no matter how good you are it's going to take a lot of luck to win the cup, but at the same time if you're not a good team you've got virtually no chance at all.  Hopefully Montreal can get their act together enough to at least be part of the leading group, then we can just let Price take us the rest of the way :)

25 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

What's neat about this is that it also matches the... I don't know if I'd call it the "eye test", maybe the "conventional wisdom"?... that goaltending can really steal the show in the playoffs.  Year after year we see some teams get completely barraged with shots against but have a goalie bail them out - turns out they were just taking the right approach all along :P.

We're still only looking at a pretty small group, though.  I wonder how things would shake out if you start to include, say the cup finalists or the division finalists as well?  To my mind the most concrete take-away is something he says in the middle of the article: no matter how good you are it's going to take a lot of luck to win the cup, but at the same time if you're not a good team you've got virtually no chance at all.  Hopefully Montreal can get their act together enough to at least be part of the leading group, then we can just let Price take us the rest of the way :)

Well we have already seen what happens without Price. Luck not only in bounces, but avoiding key injuries as well.
Also, if you look at the Rangers, they are bottom 10 in both categories, but Lundqvist has the ability to get hot for a stretch and bail out his team on his own.

Teams like Columbus and Washington are a little lower in shot generation, but can make up for it with shot quality and shooting percentage. Limit high danger chances and the team that can generate more shots (resulting in more bounces), will likely come out on top, but again, a goaltender on his game can change that outcome on his own.

Goaltenders definitely have the most power to affect the outcome in the playoffs, which is why we always have a chance with a healthy Price. :D 

Conference finalist data might be interesting, but the further away from the final you go, the more opportunity for unsustainable play to distort the results. A poor regular season team can put together a winning streak for a couple of weeks with some luck and players getting hot.

The end for NHL hockey in the historic Montreal Forum came March 11, 1996, with a 4-1 victory for the Montreal Canadiens against the Dallas Stars.

It was the 2,329th regular-season game played in the building at the corner of Ste. Catherine Street West and Atwater Avenue, with 307 more in the Stanley Cup Playoffs during the arena's seven-plus decades of hockey life. The Canadiens won 12 of their NHL-record 24 Stanley Cup championships at the magnificent ice palace built in 159 days at a cost of $1.5 million.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...