The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 State of the Habs

BigTed3

Guest Regis2

This decision will come down to what city Stamkos wants to play in, which players he's going to get to play with, and what his odds of winning Cups are.

The 1 st one is a negative for Montreal

weather

taxes

media scrutiny

The 1 st one is a negative for Montreal

weather

taxes

media scrutiny

Sure. Just depends on what he thinks is most important. I can also argue Montreal offers a great lifestyle for young athletes and one of his best hockey friends plays here... so who knows.

Toronto not that much better for any of those three things you listed. So again, just depends on what's important to him. If it's being close to home, we're not favorites. If it's low taxes and living in obscurity, it's not us. If it's getting a chance to be a 1C and getting shots at Cups for the most possible years out of the next 7, we're as good a choice as anyone else.

Guest Regis2

Does anyone think Shaw could be a 2nd line winger? Is there any hope at all making this contract look good?

He will , not could, be the the 2nd line winger :P

The Habs have a enough guys to fill the bottom six

Flynn , Micthell, Byron, Carr , DD, Danault, Sven A, Mike Brown ( if they sign him ) , Matteau, Lessio ( if they sign him )

McCarron

Guest habs1952

Habs confirming Andrew Shaw has signed a 6-year deal. Still waiting on AAV amount.

Bergevin's statement on the signing manages to include the words grit, character, leadership, Cup champion, determination, and excitement. No word on skill or scoring ability from the GM yet, but we can hold our breathes.

That's all fine and dandy but I want to know if he can play Therrien's dump and chase system.

Yeah, well played MB. I'm sure Galchenyuk's and Price's agents will point to that contract and use it as a benchmark when their clients are up for an extension in the next couple of years. Pacioretty is due in 3 years from now if memory serves.

Comparables to Shaw (6 yrs @ $3.9M):

Oshie 5 yrs @ $4.175M
Simmonds 6 yrs @ $3.975M

IMHO there is no chance for Stamkos to become a Hab. I am pretty sure I would not want to commit max dollars and term based on his recent health issues and the other players we will want to re-up in the next three years. Pittsburgh and Chicago know the trials and tribulations of being committed to too many big price tags ... let's not go there.

Why would he come here???? Do you think he hasn't taken note of the MT show and his bullying of PK? Is Stamkos an advocate of dump and chase? I think he's headed for Toronto who are close to home and have a plan and strong management and coaching. The Habs have neither of the latter two commodities.

The Shaw contract? Well, several posters prewarned on it ... now we have it! Another 3rd liner locked up ... well done MB!!!

Does anyone think Shaw could be a 2nd line winger? Is there any hope at all making this contract look good?

He filled in several times for us on the 2nd line and even the 1st line. Yes he's a bottom 6 forward but he can also step in to help when needed. At no time when he was skating on our 1st and 2nd lines did I ever think "man Shaw really stands out as the odd-ball skating with these guys". What he did do is bring energy to those lines and chemistry at times that either was lacking or needed a boost. So the Habs start him on the 2nd line and if needed you move him down to the 3rd line. The kid really can play anywhere.

He filled in several times for us on the 2nd line and even the 1st line. Yes he's a bottom 6 forward but he can also step in to help when needed. At no time when he was skating on our 1st and 2nd lines did I ever think "man Shaw really stands out as the odd-ball skating with these guys". What he did do is bring energy to those lines and chemistry at times that either was lacking or needed a boost. So the Habs start him on the 2nd line and if needed you move him down to the 3rd line. The kid really can play anywhere.

Michel Therrien had Dale Weise on our 1st and 2nd lines for reasonably long stints. He scored a few goals there too playing with Pacioretty and Desharnais. But that doesn't mean he fits there. You guys saw him in Chicago too, I don't think you'd be too happy if your management decided Dale Weise should be part of the plan for your top 6. Now Shaw's a better version of Weise, but he's closer to Weise than he is to a real top 6 player IMO.

Look at the other options we know about (Tor, Det, Buf, NYR, NYI, Van)... ask yourself how many of the next 7 years would Stamkos have a legitimate shot at a Cup with each of those organizations.

Hmmm, even a superstar cannot carry an entire team to the Cup alone. How many years did it take Sidney Crosby to win his 2nd Cup? During those barren years, Penguins were stacked with talent: Malkin, Letang, Kunitz, Dupuis. And we watch perennial top scorer Alex Ovechkin's Capitals flounder come every playoffs, despite being supported by Holtby, Kuznetsov, Johansson, Chimera for so many years.

You could say the same for Mike Babcock. I remembered before he signed for Leafs, the speculation was he won't do it and miss the opportunity to win the Cup for many years. But lo and behold, it happened!

Don't underestimate Leafs and Sabres. They're stacking their roster with talent left, right and centre now. Given your time frame for success (next 7 years), they could surprise people come 2020 season. As for Detroit, a new young roster built around Mrazek and Larkin could emerge to rise again.

For me, the Stamkos situation is pretty straight forward: Tampa or Toronto. So let me say it first: he'll sign for Leafs :lol: !

Hmmm, even a superstar cannot carry an entire team to the Cup alone. How many years did it take Sidney Crosby to win his 2nd Cup? During those barren years, Penguins were stacked with talent: Malkin, Letang, Kunitz, Dupuis. And we watch perennial top scorer Alex Ovechkin's Capitals flounder come every playoffs, despite being supported by Holtby, Kuznetsov, Johansson, Chimera for so many years.

You could say the same for Mike Babcock. I remembered before he signed for Leafs, the speculation was he won't do it and miss the opportunity to win the Cup for many years. But lo and behold, it happened!

Don't underestimate Leafs and Sabres. They're stacking their roster with talent left, right and centre now. Given your time frame for success (next 7 years), they could surprise people come 2020 season. As for Detroit, a new young roster built around Mrazek and Larkin could emerge to rise again.

For me, the Stamkos situation is pretty straight forward: Tampa or Toronto. So let me say it first: he'll sign for Leafs :lol: !

And you might be right. I'm not arguing the Habs have any better shot than Toronto or Tampa. There are reasons for him to choose all those teams. I'm just saying there's an argument for Montreal to be made here if the information is presented to Stamkos properly.

I agree with you that Buffalo and Toronto will be very good in 2-3 years, but if Stamkos is signing a 7-year deal and he knows his chance of winning a Cup in the first three years is limited, is that worth it? Neither one of those teams has a proven goalie, neither team has a defenceman who is a proven #1 guy. We've seen the Oilers try to rebuild that way, with a forward-heavy line-up and little support on the back end and it hasn't worked out that well. They're 5-6 years into that re-build and not close to having the right formula for a Cup, so there's no guarantee Toronto or Buffalo will get close during the next 7 years.

Montreal is already in a position to compete for Cups. Yes, they're battling against their own coach's philosophy, but they have the line-up of young stars who are currently in their prime. Price is the goalie any team would pick right now if they were trying to build a Cup winner. Subban is as good as any defenceman in the league. Pacioretty is a top 10 goal scorer. Galchenyuk could be a 30-40 goal man annually. The core of this team isn't old like the Wings' key players, they aren't still 20ish like the Sabres and Leafs' core. This core in Montreal is the right age to give Stamkos a shot at a Cup this coming season AND to give him a shot at a Cup for most of the next 7 years. None of those other cities can legitimately say that outside of Tampa. Again, if Stamkos is making up his mind based on taxes or proximity to home, there's nothing we can do. But if he's making a hockey decision alone, we are in as good a standing as anyone else.

subban for weber eh. i dont think i care about this team until these <redacted> arent running it anymore

Even then! This type of asset managements sets you back a decade... I'm honestly sick to my stomach... this has to be a mistake... I am done with hockey if this trade happens, absolutely done

Even then! This type of asset managements sets you back a decade... I'm honestly sick to my stomach... this has to be a mistake... I am done with hockey if this trade happens, absolutely done

you are absolutely correct. we will not be winning a stanley cup until some new core emerges in the next decade or so. the window is done with these guys

Stamkos stays in Tampa.

The Devils fleece Edmonton for Taylor Hall.

Meanwhile, we lose our franchise Dman in a hockey trade we simply cannot win.

Chiarelli - "Hey, you want Hall for Subban"

Bergevin "Nah"

Chiarelli "Fine, I'm going to trade him to NJ for Larsson ... out do that stupid move"

Bergevin "Hold my beer"

• H_T_L locked this topic