The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 State of the Habs

BigTed3

Guest Regis2

So I guess the lousy PP was PK's fault not the coach who should have been let go last year

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/subban-shipped-to-predators-for-shea-weber

We completed today an important transaction which I am convinced will make the Canadiens a better team. It was also one of the most difficult decisions I had to make as general manager of the Montreal Canadiens,” general manager Marc Bergevin said in a statement. “In Shea Weber, we get a top rated NHL defenseman with tremendous leadership, and a player who will improve our defensive group as well as our power play for many years to come.”

We had one of the most promising young cores in the Eastern Conference.

Had.

Now this team looks considerably older and a whole lot worse. Don't worry, though: Marc Bergevin and Michel Therrien are all about "stability"! And having successfully run the second best defenceman in the league out of town for refusing to quietly play terrible ancient hockey, who better to make the changes needed to right the ship?

RDS is pondering the question if Weber should take over captaincy by default.

Why not? It's a good idea, seriously! We need an experienced captain who can motivate his team on the ice. He can even dish out hard hits to send a message. Can you imagine Max doing that? Max has been a totally useless C. Give the C to an older, more experienced incumbent C.

Guest habs1952

Given that Bergevin said Subban would not be traded, he definitely lied. Does anyone else feel lied to?

Every time MB opens his mouth.

Given that Bergevin said Subban would not be traded, he definitely lied. Does anyone else feel lied to?

He lied about the Price injury.

He lied about having to take John Scott.

He lied about holding people accountable.

He lied about not trying to trade Subban.

There's a pattern here with Bergevin. Take a look at this article from Stu Cowan of the Gazette, even the media feel like Bergevin has lied too any times and can't be trusted:

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/stu-cowan-canadiens-marc-bergevin-starting-to-look-like-wkrps-herb-tarlek

He lied about the Price injury.

He lied about having to take John Scott.

He lied about holding people accountable.

He lied about not trying to trade Subban.

There's a pattern here with Bergevin. Take a look at this article from Stu Cowan of the Gazette, even the media feel like Bergevin has lied too any times and can't be trusted:

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/stu-cowan-canadiens-marc-bergevin-starting-to-look-like-wkrps-herb-tarlek

Well, he didn't lie about having MT's back. <_<

Guest Regis2

Im kind hoping the Habs stumble out of the gate ( Im not a fan of MT ) .

Weber is a very good D man but he's older and from all the accounts he's not very good 5 on 5 and his puck possession aint too good.

If MT is of the belief he can never win a Cup with PK , he should look in th mirror , he couldnt' win a Cup wish Sydeny Crosby, Malkin, Fleury either

P.K. Subban pays price for Habs terrible season

Canadiens elected to keep coach, trade superstar

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2016/06/30/pk-subban-pays-price-for-habs-terrible-season.html

Canada might be the loser in seismic NHL day: Arthur

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2016/06/29/oilers-trade-taylor-hall-to-devils-for-adam-larsson.html

. In Montreal, it’s been an open secret that coach Michel Therrien never meshed with Subban. He would tell people that he believed he could never win a Cup with P.K.,

About a year ago, we were having a debate about Michel Therrien, and one of the defences of him as a coach was that "he created good team chemistry and deserved credit for that." I argued at that time that it wasn't the coach or players who created chemistry but rather winning that created chemistry. When your team wins, everyone feels like they're part of something and those who are unhappy tend to shut their mouths so as not to disrupt what's going on and appear like they're sour grapes. So my opinion at that time was that Therrien had little to do with team chemistry and that rather the chemistry could be attributed to Carey Price and what he had done to help the Habs win so frequently. I had argued that if you take the winning culture out, you take away the "team chemistry" as well and you see what players really think of their coach and their ice time and each other.

So fast forward... the team suffered its worst losing streak in over 80 years. We saw Plekanec complain about Subban, we saw a rift between Pacioretty and Subban, we saw guys that seemed to be well-liked by everyone like Weise and Eller get shipped out. We saw players moved up and down the line-up to no end. Basically, we saw chaos. And the sentiment seems to be coming out now that the Habs room wasn't as united as everyone said it was 8 months ago.

Is team chemistry really that bad? No. Winning will fix that. But winning requires the players to be on the same page, and we didn't see that. Instead of seeing people try to heal the divide, we saw Therrien and Bergevin and Pacioretty trying to make it worse. Subban was out there praising Pacioretty and talking about how great a captain he was and how important he was to the team. Pacioretty was talking about how Subban was Subban and how he was larger than life and everyone put up with it. Not really a glowing appraisal. Therrien was busy blaming Subban for the team's mistakes, even though Subban was one of the few consistent players last year. So that HAS to lead you to ask where the problem is. Was the problem Subban or was the problem a coach and a captain who weren't willing to iron out the issues and who not only failed in their duty to unite the club but who actively did their best to create rifts in the dressing room. I absolutely blame both Therrien and Pacioretty for failing miserably at their jobs in this case. Pacioretty is a great goal-scorer on a bargain contract but I've grown tired of what he's done to this dressing room as captain. it was only once he became captain and used that power to side with the coach over his teammates that this team seemed to fall apart. To me, it's time to start looking at Pacioretty as a trade chip and get a player with that type of attitude out of the room. To me, it's players like he and not ones like Subban who are likely more of the problem.

Im kind hoping the Habs stumble out of the gate ( Im not a fan of MT ) .

Weber is a very good D man but he's older and from all the accounts he's not very good 5 on 5 and his puck possession aint too good.

If MT is of the belief he can never win a Cup with PK , he should look in th mirror , he couldnt' win a Cup wish Sydeny Crosby, Malkin, Fleury either

P.K. Subban pays price for Habs terrible season

Canadiens elected to keep coach, trade superstar

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2016/06/30/pk-subban-pays-price-for-habs-terrible-season.html

Canada might be the loser in seismic NHL day: Arthur

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2016/06/29/oilers-trade-taylor-hall-to-devils-for-adam-larsson.html

. In Montreal, it’s been an open secret that coach Michel Therrien never meshed with Subban. He would tell people that he believed he could never win a Cup with P.K.,

What an unbelievable pile of manure.

Guest Regis2

. Pacioretty is a great goal-scorer on a bargain contract but I've grown tired of what he's done to this dressing room as captain. .

The most meaningless 40 goal scorer in the league

Yea he consistently get 30 to 40 goals every year but they are meaningless goals

He's not a player when the game is on the line that you could put out there with a minute to go in the game and he can do something

Wow 40 meaningless goals! guy has an off year and he is a bum! so we should just let him go right? is seem to remember him being our go to guy in the past. guy missed the whole off season due to injury so he starts the year totally behind the rest of the league when it comes to conditioning on top of taking over the weight of being captain in a year we lose the only nhl ready goalie we had and still somehow manages to score 30 with all the crap going on around him and he is meaningless? and as for the dressing room what did PK do for it? does he get a free pass for not providing leadership? the bias that many have on this forum is incredible! some of the things that get said about some of the players and staff is a disgrace! these folks all want to win to get to where they are they have all been winners in the past. internet gives folks a free pass to spew bile.

Wow 40 meaningless goals! guy has an off year and he is a bum! so we should just let him go right? is seem to remember him being our go to guy in the past. guy missed the whole off season due to injury so he starts the year totally behind the rest of the league when it comes to conditioning on top of taking over the weight of being captain in a year we lose the only nhl ready goalie we had and still somehow manages to score 30 with all the crap going on around him and he is meaningless? and as for the dressing room what did PK do for it? does he get a free pass for not providing leadership? the bias that many have on this forum is incredible! some of the things that get said about some of the players and staff is a disgrace! these folks all want to win to get to where they are they have all been winners in the past. internet gives folks a free pass to spew bile.

okay what about all the nonsense spewed about PK... like you're doing now? I like Max but I can't blame people for being upset that PK is gone

Guest Regis2

Im not a big fan of Max

Meaningless was probably an incorrect choice of words

Maybe I should have used clutch or something .

Whatever , I don't think he should be captain either .

• H_T_L locked this topic