The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 State of the Habs

BigTed3

Guest Regis2

I think if you go to a rebuilding team, an offer of a pick + Andrighetto or Carr could be enough to get them to part with a top 6 player.

If you have a top six forward I would think you would keep him , not give him up for 3 maybe's

Guest Regis2

.I would think after this season , Montreal is the one that needs to re build . They should be evaluating whether Andrighetto and /or Carr are going to be NHL'ers. If not then I don't understand why another team would give up their asset for our rejects

I'd be willing to offer sheet Hoffman. There's going to be a contract dispute there for sure and it would be awesome to stick it to the Sens.

If he wasn't on such a great contract, I'd entertain the idea of moving Pacioretty, but I don't see how you win getting rid of a 4.25 million dollar 35 goal-scorer.

thats, the point, hes on a great contract. i can think of a million ways we win by trading him. we'd get back a stud prospect + a good roster player or 2 very good players + a good prospect.

1. we are super thin on legit scoring, we need to stock the cupboard a bit

2. captain patch, aside from having a good shot, does very little to generate offense otherwise, he isnt a playmaker, i cant remember i have ever seen him beat a guy 1 on 1, he's bad on the cycle...... i think hes massively overrated at this exact moment and a lot of teams would be willing to give us a very nice package if we offered him.

.I would think after this season , Montreal is the one that needs to re build . They should be evaluating whether Andrighetto and /or Carr are going to be NHL'ers. If not then I don't understand why another team would give up their asset for our rejects

You don't rebuild with Price, Subban, Pacioretty, and Galchenyuk on the roster, particularly not with Price coming up on a new contract. If this organization were smart, it would be using this wasted year as a tactical reload. If.

thats, the point, hes on a great contract. i can think of a million ways we win by trading him. we'd get back a stud prospect + a good roster player or 2 very good players + a good prospect.

1. we are super thin on legit scoring, we need to stock the cupboard a bit

2. captain patch, aside from having a good shot, does very little to generate offense otherwise, he isnt a playmaker, i cant remember i have ever seen him beat a guy 1 on 1, he's bad on the cycle...... i think hes massively overrated at this exact moment and a lot of teams would be willing to give us a very nice package if we offered him.

I don't know what your hate on is for Patches but I'm starting to think it's personal with you. He seems to be doing pretty good as a playmaker with Gally as his pivot. I think you dangle Eller, Desharnais, Markov and Plakanec on draft day you could get decent returns. I'm not opposed to MTL going after Drouin but I'd much rather get it done with Deitz and/or Thrower and one of our 2 2nd rounders...Maybe both...

I don't know what your hate on is for Patches but I'm starting to think it's personal with you. He seems to be doing pretty good as a playmaker with Gally as his pivot. I think you dangle Eller, Desharnais, Markov and Plakanec on draft day you could get decent returns. I'm not opposed to MTL going after Drouin but I'd much rather get it done with Deitz and/or Thrower and one of our 2 2nd rounders...Maybe both...

yeah my gf left me for him back in college :P

honestly [edit], ive made it very clear why i would trade him and what i dislike about his game, in my past comments and in this comment you quoted me on

i watch almost every single game and i have been for years...i have seen patches entire career, literally.

hes a fast skater with a great shot, and thats great, someone has to score goals. BUT what i said is objectively true, he isnt a great passer or stickhandler. want to post his career highlights for me? how many nice assists, or crazy dangle plays does he have? he isnt a star player like a benn or a giroux or a kopitar.....but there is a perception at the moment that he is, and THAT, combined with the great contract he has, makes him extremely valuable as trade bait

these other guys you mentioned wont get us much aside from pleks maybe. dd we are gonna have to buy out for gods sake lol.

lindros won an mvp, but getting duchesne, ricci, forsberg and hextall turned quebec/colorado into a contender for a decade.

thats the kind of thing i see us being able to pull with patches. do i like him as a hockey player on our team, no, but i just explained why. its the farthest thing from personal. do i want to trade him badly? yes but not because i hate his face, i want to trade him because i think we will get a big package and the team will be way better.

these guys come and go man, ive been watching this team for 25 years, yuo stop getting sentimental. how i feel about any of these guys could not matter less. its all eye test on the ice and cold hard logic in the head office in my books

Guest Regis2

hes a fast skater with a great shot, and thats great, someone has to score goals. BUT what i said is objectively true, he isnt a great passer or stickhandler. want to post his career highlights for me? how many nice assists, or crazy dangle plays does he have? he isnt a star player like a benn or a giroux or a kopitar.....but there is a perception at the moment that he is, and THAT, combined with the great contract he has, makes him extremely valuable as trade bait

I think I understand what you're thinking

He's a 30 + goal scorer BUT I wouldn't exactly call Max a clutch goal scorer .

Someone posted a list of players who have scored more goals than him the past few years and they were the elite . I don't think Max can be considered an elite scorer . He's not a guy you can put on the ice with a couple of minutes left in a game and feel he can get that winning or tying goal. Unlike a Kane, Seguin, Ovi, Crosby etc

honestly [edit], ive made it very clear why i would trade him and what i dislike about his game, in my past comments and in this comment you quoted me on

i watch almost every single game and i have been for years...i have seen patches entire career, literally.

these other guys you mentioned wont get us much aside from pleks maybe. dd we are gonna have to buy out for gods sake lol.

lindros won an mvp, but getting duchesne, ricci, forsberg and hextall turned quebec/colorado into a contender for a decade.

thats the kind of thing i see us being able to pull with patches. do i like him as a hockey player on our team, no, but i just explained why. its the farthest thing from personal. do i want to trade him badly? yes but not because i hate his face, i want to trade him because i think we will get a big package and the team will be way better.

these guys come and go man, ive been watching this team for 25 years, yuo stop getting sentimental. how i feel about any of these guys could not matter less. its all eye test on the ice and cold hard logic in the head office in my books

I agree. Pacioretty has to go! Along with Plekanec, DD & Markov.

Trading Patches at this point is a little risky for me, although I agree we may be at a point where he is at the highest value of his career. My issue is with the fact he may finally get to play with a legitimate number one center for a season. This team has operated wth three varying degrees of a second line over the last few years be it with Plecky, DD or Eller as a center. Bergevin will have some issues to resolve in the off-season as the scoring drought this team went through in December is unacceptable whether we blame the players, coach or management and we need to develop two top scoring lines. I don't see any trades other than DD happening at the moment, but we have the potential for making draft day entertaining.

I'm not opposed to trading him per say...I saw in the trade deadline thread a rumour that MTL was offered Ryan Strome and Matthew Barzal by the Isles for Patches...I'd be ok with MTL revisiting that. Barzal is a 200 foot game player from everything I read, add Strome to that mix and your basically getting 2 top 6 for the price of one. I honestly think with the season we've had, there's not too many people you can't look at as trade bait.

I'm not opposed to trading him per say...I saw in the trade deadline thread a rumour that MTL was offered Ryan Strome and Matthew Barzal by the Isles for Patches...I'd be ok with MTL revisiting that. Barzal is a 200 foot game player from everything I read, add Strome to that mix and your basically getting 2 top 6 for the price of one. I honestly think with the season we've had, there's not too many people you can't look at as trade bait.

That's exactly the kind of deal I wouldn't pull the trigger on when Patches is involved, plus it's severe underpayment from the Islanders in my opinion. First of all, I don't see the need to move one of the best pure goalscorers in the league for prospects, unless we're talking about guys like McDavid, Matthews, etc. which isn't a realistic scenario. Secondly, we shouldn't be rebuilding anyway because when healthy and with a different coach behind the bench, this is a surefire playoff team. Contender? Certainly not, but IMO we're not that far away that we'd need to deal one of our three biggest stars who's on a bargain contract to boot. I do understand the appeal of moving Pacioretty, but the return would have to be MUCH bigger than Strome plus Barzal for me to even consider the notion of trading away our Captain in his prime years. Make no mistake, Patches is going to keep on doing what he does best, i.e. scoring goals in bunches when he heats up, and no prospect we can realistically acquire comes with a similar guarantee.

Curiously, what is the maximum salary and term an unrestricted free agent can be offered? The term is seven years, correct?

MB definitely has to speak with the agent for Stamkos. I have a hard time believing we could acquire him, but maybe... just maybe... having Carey Price, P.K. Subban, Max Pacioretty, and Alex Galchenyuk could be a benefit to our chances.

According to Capfriendly, anyone who signs here is going to be losing more than half their salary in taxes. The website states that you can have greater post-tax salary in 28 other NHL markets. That's bad news for signing free agents. In fact, TB has super favorable tax rates, so... maybe Stamkos just stays there. :lol::mellow::(

What position does Stamkos currently play? Center or wing? His preference is center isn't it?

If you want him you have to offer him the maximum salary for the maximum term and hope for the best. I don't see any other way we could acquire him.

that the kind of thing im talking about, and id actually be looking for more than that. i think patchy has really great value right now, i think we would be amazed at what some teams might be willing to give up for him

if im wrong, id rather not, just to be clear. im looking for a big haul, not just to trade the guy for the sake of trading him

Curiously, what is the maximum salary and term an unrestricted free agent can be offered? The term is seven years, correct?

MB definitely has to speak with the agent for Stamkos. I have a hard time believing we could acquire him, but maybe... just maybe... having Carey Price, P.K. Subban, Max Pacioretty, and Alex Galchenyuk could be a benefit to our chances.

According to Capfriendly, anyone who signs here is going to be losing more than half their salary in taxes. The website states that you can have greater post-tax salary in 28 other NHL markets. That's bad news for signing free agents. In fact, TB has super favorable tax rates, so... maybe Stamkos just stays there. :lol::mellow::(

What position does Stamkos currently play? Center or wing? His preference is center isn't it?

If you want him you have to offer him the maximum salary for the maximum term and hope for the best. I don't see any other way we could acquire him.

Max term is 7 years for a player moving teams and 8 for a player staying with his old team. Max salary used to be set as a percentage of the salary cap, but I'm not sure if it's still like that.

From the rumors reported by people like Friedman and Lebrun earlier this year, the most important thing to Stamkos was that he have a good chance at winning a Cup. He also apparently prefers to play center, and he's rumored to be prefer going for a hockey town over a small city. I really feel like we would have had a good shot (especially since Stamkos and Subban go back a while and we're one of the few teams to have a top-notch goalie and have an opening for 1st-line center), but now that we've had such a terrible season, I think our odds take a big hit. I think our one chance would be to fire Therrien and hire a better coach and sell Stamkos on "new coach, new system, Carey's coming back, last year was just an anomaly..."

Guest habs1952

Max term is 7 years for a player moving teams and 8 for a player staying with his old team. Max salary used to be set as a percentage of the salary cap, but I'm not sure if it's still like that.

From the rumors reported by people like Friedman and Lebrun earlier this year, the most important thing to Stamkos was that he have a good chance at winning a Cup. He also apparently prefers to play center, and he's rumored to be prefer going for a hockey town over a small city. I really feel like we would have had a good shot (especially since Stamkos and Subban go back a while and we're one of the few teams to have a top-notch goalie and have an opening for 1st-line center), but now that we've had such a terrible season, I think our odds take a big hit. I think our one chance would be to fire Therrien and hire a better coach and sell Stamkos on "new coach, new system, Carey's coming back, last year was just an anomaly..."

Max salary is 20% of the cap in the year the contract is signed.

Guest Regis2

), but now that we've had such a terrible season, I think our odds take a big hit. I think our one chance would be to fire Therrien and hire a better coach and sell Stamkos on "new coach, new system, Carey's coming back, last year was just an anomaly..."

Odds take a HUGE hit

Habs need to dump MT the day after the season ends

Even them Habs will not be able to afford Stamkos .

Even if Stamkos comes to Montreal it doesn't make Montreal contenders

Even if Stamkos comes to Montreal it doesn't make Montreal contenders

Disagree. I think Montreal can be a contender just by having Carey back and dumping Therrien in favor of a better coach. Just a hypothetical scenario here, but let's say the Habs get off their high horse about having a French coach and hire Hitchcock or say Boston misses the playoffs and the Bruins fire Julien and we grab him. Now let's say the Habs are able to move Emelin (media insiders suggest there is a market to trade him once his NTC ends in July) and Desharnais. Let's say they're able to move Plekanec and Markov as well. That's plenty of space to be able to give Stamkos 10M a year, acquire another LH D man or left winger and fill the line-up out using rookies like McCarron, Hudon, and Carr. For example,

Pacioretty-Stamkos-McCarron

Hudon-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Andrighetto-Eller-Carr

Danault-Mitchell-Lessio

Beaulieu-Subban

xxx-Petry

Barberio-Pateryn

Price

Condon

I think that could be a very good line-up. I think that line-up could compete with any team in the East. And very few teams would be able to match the high-end talent of a squad that features all of Stamkos, Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, and Gallagher. I'd argue we'd possibly have the best combination of top 3 forwards, #1 D man, and #1 goalie in the league in the case. I'd take our group of Pacman-Stamkos-Galchenyuk-Subban-Price over even Toews-Kane-Hossa-Keith-Crawford. I'd take it over Kopitar-Carter-Gaborik-Doughty-Quick or Crosby-Malkin-Kessel-Letang-MAF.

Guest Regis2

Pacioretty-Stamkos-McCarron

Hudon-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Andrighetto-Eller-Carr

Danault-Mitchell-Lessio

Beaulieu-Subban

xxx-Petry

Barberio-Pateryn

Price

Condon

I think that could be a very good line-up.

See that 's where we disagree

You have six forwards who are basically rookies

And as for Stamkos .

Stamkos with Tampa and they can't win .

Just by acquiring Stamkos doesn't mean we suddenly become contenders

See that 's where we disagree

You have six forwards who are basically rookies

And as for Stamkos .

Stamkos with Tampa and they can't win .

Just by acquiring Stamkos doesn't mean we suddenly become contenders

The 6 guys are not pure rookies. Andrighetto and Danault would not even be considered rookies after playing this year. Sure, there's a lot of young guys, but this wouldn't have to be set in stone. The team would still have enough money to go out and fill a spot or two with a veteran via trade or free agency.

As for Tampa, they've actually come close during the Stamkos era. I wouldn't say they can't win and I wouldn't say they aren't Cup contenders, because they've been one of the best team in the league over the past few years. And they've done that without having a Carey Price equivalent nor a PK Subban (Hedman is good but not that good). Tampa has a better coach/system and a better supporting cast, but they don't have the top-end talent we have here (outside of Stamkos).

Instead of Stamkos or Drouin; why not put in an off sheet on Nikita Kucherov? He's a consistent scorer with youth and speed.

Back-to-back 60+ point seasons. Only 22 years old. He looks like a gem. I doubt we'd acquire him, even if we did attempt to sign him to an offer sheet, but he's certainly a promising young player. However, we can assume there'd be an immediate 30 point regression playing under MT because A] he's Russian, B] playing for MT, and C] he's Russian.

• H_T_L locked this topic