Eller Plekanec Gallagher

Carr Desharnais Andrighetto

McCarron Mitchell Danault

Markov Subban

Beaulieu Petry

Barberio Ellis

Price

Condon

This is how I would field our healthy team now, barring anything happening with Markov, Desharnais, 1st Rounder, or Stamkos in the offseason.

Guest Regis2

Pacioretty Galchenyuk Holloway

Eller Plekanec Gallagher

Markov Subban

Beaulieu Petry

Barberio Ellis

Price

Condon

Not keen on having five players in the starting lineup with 1 yr or less of NHL experience

Pacioretty Galchenyuk Holloway

Eller Plekanec Gallagher

Markov Subban

Beaulieu Petry

Barberio Ellis

Price

Condon

This is how I would field our healthy team now, barring anything happening with Markov, Desharnais, 1st Rounder, or Stamkos in the offseason.

It is sad looking at this proposed lineup. This is not a shot at the poster, it is commentary on our lack of top 6 talent and the need to carry players out of position to accommodate French speaking players. Danault and Desharnais have no business on the roster and Holloway has in no way proven he is a top 6 NHL forward. We are not signing Stamkos. First of all, why would he play for this organization whose core competency seems to be losing? Secondly, if we are planning on keeping P.K. and Carey, we cannot afford him. Our top priority the day after the season ends should be firing the coaching staff at both the NHL level and in the "A". It starts from there out. In fact, if that was the only move the team made in the offseason, I could live with it. Getting rid of MB as well would be like hitting the trifecta but I won't hold my breath on that one. Guys like Holloway may or may not be the answer but the under the current "braintrust" we will never know. There had better be changes Mr. Molson ......

I cannot see George "Bud" Holloway making the team next year. I would be surprised if he's even under contract with our organization. I do see MB doing whatever he can in free agency or trade to acquire a top-six winger, which may mean the departure of a guy like Andrighetto, or Carr, or Hudon, or McCarron, as part of the deal. I do feel like the best strategy would be to fire MT, hire a new coaching staff, acquire a solid top six winger, and head into training camp with Price healthy. Out of camp we can determine if we need to acquire any defensive depth for the year.

I'd actually like to challenge the concept that we don't have a top 6. We have a three players who could play on a #1 line legitimately in Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, and Gallagher, with the major failing from the Habs being that they opted not to play Galchenyuk there most of the past few years and instead use a 3rd line center (DD) in that role. As far as 2nd line players go, Plekanec is a decent #2 center and Eller has the potential to be a #2 if he is actually played in that type of a role with good offensive wingers. McCarron, Hudon, and Andrighetto all have the potential to develop into top 6 players, albeit it remains to be seen whether they will. But for argument's sake, let's say our top 6 forwards right now are Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Plekanec, Eller, and one of Ghetto/McCarron. Let's compare that group to some of the other top 6's in the league, more specifically within our own division...

- Bruins: Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Eriksson, Beleskey, and maybe Connolly or Hayes or Pastrnak.... they have the same problem we do of missing the depth in their top 6 and I'll take our high-end guys over theirs.

- Sabres: ROR, Eichel, Reinhart, Kane, Moulson, Gionta... two young guys with a lot of skill but who are still developing and two old guys who are past their prime, one of whom we dumped. Their top 6 may become better than ours, but ours is better for now.

- Panthers: Jagr, Barkov, Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Jokinen, Smith or Hudler.. a lot of guys coming into their own that they drafted because of bad finishes. I'd take this top 6 over ours, but it wasn't a given until this year that they'd be good enough, and they've added a few older guys to fill it out, something we could have easily done had we not passed on Jagr ourselves and dumped Semin for nothing.

- Wings: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Larkin, Tatar, Nyquist, Abdelkader... bottom end of that is a bit soft as well. Top end is filled with guys reaching the end of their careers and youngsters who aren't quite legit first liners yet. I'd still take our top 6 guys over theirs.

Bottom line is that it's a luxury in a salary cap world and a 30-team league to have 6 star players. This isn't the NHL of the 70s and 80s where you could load up on talent and pay them what you want. Pacioretty is a top 5-10 winger in the league. Galchenyuk could be a top 5-10 center based on point production per ice time. Gallagher is a #1 winger (top 60 winger in the league) despite what we'd like to believe. And the fact is that to be a top 6 forward, you only need to be among the 180 top forwards in the NHL to meet that standard. Could we use more depth? Absolutely, but that means not casting off the Semins, Sekacs, and Parenteaus of the league, because all those guys could easily be top 180 forwards if given the chance. Mitchell, Byron, DSP, Weise, Brown, and other guys Therrien has preferred to use in top 6 roles cannot. Our top 6-9 is far from perfect, but the same can be said about a lot of teams in the league and if we're open to giving a young guy or two a chance and signing a veteran and actually using him properly, it's not a hard fix. Deployment is setting us back more than anything at this point, in my view.

Eller is the best 3rd line center in the league but he's officially out of consideration as a top 6 imo

You're right about have a legit 1st line with Chucky a center but outside of Pleks we don't have a second line. We HAVE TO find at least ONE top 6 forward somewhere.

Our D is the more complicated issue. Which Markov do we get? Which Beaulieu do we get? We may already have a pretty solid D core OR it may be in shambles and I honestly have no idea

If you were an UFA , would you sign with Montreal knowing MT is going to be the coach next year

Only if I was a grinder.

So Weise, yes. Bouillon, yes. Murray, yes. And so on. Those guys know they'll get playing time here. That's perhaps why it's the only type of player we can actually attract.

Guest Regis2

So next year's team will be the same as this year , with the hopes that CP31 doesn't get injured . And the team squeaks inbto the playoffs where, as our beloved GM says , anything can happen, but usually doesn't .

And you end up with a lousy draft pick

So next year's team will be the same as this year , with the hopes that CP31 doesn't get injured . And the team squeaks inbto the playoffs where, as our beloved GM says , anything can happen, but usually doesn't .

And you end up with a lousy draft pick

Except next year I can see MB abandoning his "long-term vision" and start making dumb trades in a desperate attempt to save his buddy MT from the wolves. Just watch, we'll start the season 5-10-5 - or something - and instead of firing the coaching staff, MB will acquire some has-been winger at the expense of a valuable prospect.

Except next year I can see MB abandoning his "long-term vision" and start making dumb trades in a desperate attempt to save his buddy MT from the wolves. Just watch, we'll start the season 5-10-5 - or something - and instead of firing the coaching staff, MB will acquire some has-been winger at the expense of a valuable prospect.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least, JR.

Scherbak for Marleau (e4)!

i am actually sincerely expecting it. like, there isnt enough beer in the beer store for me to deal with this team these days

I'm expecting Eller to get traded in the next month for some pile of garbage.

Of course, because we "have" to keep DD, even tho DD wouldn't bring much back anyway. Trading Eller, would solve our crowded center position. <_<

To make room for Danault

i actually think that is 100% a realistic possibility

i just cant with this team, like there isnt enough beer in the beer store for me to handle this gong show right now

Eller getting traded is a total possibility, yep. :unsure: If there's one player on the team that I think MB will ACTUALLY - 'cause, ya know, MB's terrible at trades - be able to move who's not considered "core" it will be Lars. Watch MB turn Lars Eller into some 'once upon a time' 20-goal scorer who will probably manage 10 goals and 10 assists getting favorable minutes with Montreal, while providing none of the defensive presence Lars does.

• H_T_L locked this topic