Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 State of the Habs


BigTed3
 Share

Recommended Posts

“We looked like a tired team tonight for some reason,” Canadiens coach Claude Julien said. “We had no energy, our skating legs weren’t there across the board and it showed. When you don’t have the energy and your skating game’s not there, the rest of your game suffers and we weren’t executing because we weren’t skating.

“They played well,” Julien added. “Their game was at its best and you can see why they’re on a pretty good roll right now.”

Give Montoya credit for not making any excuses after finding out so late in the day that he was getting the start. He actually didn’t need any after his performance.

“It’s my job,” said Montoya, who couldn’t remember the exact time he found out he was playing. “I’m ready to go. I look for the opportunity to play when it arises and unfortunately Pricer was sick, but he’s been phenomenal for us and for me it’s my job to go in there and step up and give the team a chance to win.”

He did for more than half the game.

It’s Montoya’s teammates who could have been searching for some excuses after their performance. Captain Max Pacioretty noted quite a few players on the team have been fighting the flu bug.

“A lot of guys have had it, but that’s still no excuse,” said Pacioretty, who had four shots but has now gone five games without a goal. “Knock on wood, but I think I might have been the guy who started it, but it went away pretty quickly so hopefully that’s the case for everyone who doesn’t feel well right now.”

When the flu bug was mentioned to Julien, he responded: “I don’t believe in excuses and I’m not going to use that as an excuse. Whether that’s a fact or not, there wasn’t 20 guys out there with the flu. It was more one of those flat games that every once in a while will creep in. So for us, it’s hopefully to really look at the next game, hopefully have a much better outing, bounce back and get yourself back on track.

“These kind of games, sometimes you got to move on,” the coach added. “It’s not like you can look at one or two or four or five players. It was all across the board. We just didn’t seem to have our skating legs here tonight and it affected our whole game. … It’s unfortunate. We were looking for a good matchup of two teams that had been playing well, but we came out real flat here tonight.”

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/in-the-habs-room-canadiens-looked-sick-in-shutout-loss-to-flames

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎09 at 4:15 PM, Flying_Lion said:

The thing about the Sens' schedule is that they have 2 games in hand. While one could read that to mean: if Ottawa wins those 2 "in hand" games we're tied in the standings, it also means they have to play 2 more games than we do down the stretch. That's 2 more games they'll be playing against teams that are desperate to either a) jockey for position, b ) make the playoffs, or c) play spoiler to others' playoff aspirations.

Either way, it's 2 games we've already got in the rear view mirror and recovered from.

...

Breathing room? We had it and then used it to pay for an upgrade behind the bench.

It was worth every point. ;)

 

 

Now that's a positive spin if I ever saw one :2008122810303:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pacioretty saying he was the first one on the team to have the stomach flu, two days before the Canucks game, but that he was back to normal for the actual games. Mitchell had it thereafter, and then apparently, several other Habs have had it and played through it. Price wasn't able to suit up last game, but is now back to game-shape. Byron has it now but may still be able to play tomorrow, as it's been a 24-hours thing... CJ says he hopes the flu bug is now behind them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are guys who are turning around their scoring slumps... Byron, Gallagher, etc. I like what we're getting from Danault, even if he's not scoring much and isn't a 1st line center. But there are still too many of the supporting cast who aren't carrying their weight:

1. Shaw: still playing with fire with all the dumb O-zone penalties

2. King: doing zilch

3. Lehkonen: he's playing smart hockey, but he needs to score more.

4. Plekanec: out now, but when he's back he can't play the way he has this season

5. The entire D corps: to start the year, we had loads of offensive contributions from our D men, but the well has been dry for several months. Weber's not producing. Petry's not producing. Markov has tapered off after a hot start. Beaulieu's been average but he's not making up for the rest of them. Emelin is giving nothing. Benn is not an offensive player. We're missing offence from the forwards, so it's imperative that the offensive D men (Weber, Petry, Markov, Beaulieu) do more to carry the load.

And with all of the above, I'll again reiterate that the best move the Habs could make right now is recalling Hudon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

. Plekanec: out now, but when he's back he can't play the way he has this season

 

I like TP, but I think we have seen while he is out , that the team hasn't suffered . They can move on without him , and he probably should have been moved at the deadline

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I like TP, but I think we have seen while he is out , that the team hasn't suffered . They can move on without him , and he probably should have been moved at the deadline

Unfortunately his contract makes him unmovable ....... our faint hope is that Vegas takes him in the ex draft .....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Quote

 

Sat, Mar 18  7:00 PM ET  CANADIENS @ SENATORS

Sun, Mar 19  7:30 PM ET  SENATORS @ CANADIENS

Tue, Mar 21  7:30 PM ET  REDWINGS @ CANADIENS

Thu, Mar 23  7:30 PM ET  HURRICANES @ CANADIENS

Sat, Mar 25  7:00 PM ET  SENATORS @ CANADIENS

Tue, Mar 28  7:30 PM ET  STARS @ CANADIENS

Thu, Mar 30  7:30 PM ET  PANTHERS @ CANADIENS

Sat, Apr 1  7:00 PM ET  CANADIENS @ LIGHTNING

Mon, Apr 3  7:30 PM ET  CANADIENS @ PANTHERS

Wed, Apr 5  7:30 PM ET  CANADIENS @ SABRES

Fri, Apr 7  7:30 PM ET  LIGHTNING @ CANADIENS

Sat, Apr 8  7:00 PM ET  CANADIENS @ REDWINGS 

 

A dozen games left. Mostly against non-playoff or bubble teams. If we win the series against the Sens (2-1), split the Panthers, Bolts, and Wings (3-3), and beat 2 of Dallas, Carolina, and Buffalo (2-1), that's good for a 7-5 record, worth 14 points, getting us to 100 for the season. We "should" be able to finish stronger than that (if our offense comes around) and Ottawa has a tougher closing schedule, so they may have a difficult time keeping pace and finishing first in the division, especially if we take 2 of our games against them. 
Going to be an interesting final stretch, especially if Boston and Tampa stay hot. Most likely 1st round opponents right now are the Rangers or Bruins.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What are the odds that Price gets both starts this weekend against the Sens?? I know they haven't put him in that situation all year but it wouldn't surprise me to see CJ go that way. They are coming off a 4 day rest and 1st place is on the line. If Monty does get a start then I would expect him to get the road game. If we see Price start it, then I fully expect him to play both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

What are the odds that Price gets both starts this weekend against the Sens?? I know they haven't put him in that situation all year but it wouldn't surprise me to see CJ go that way. They are coming off a 4 day rest and 1st place is on the line. If Monty does get a start then I would expect him to get the road game. If we see Price start it, then I fully expect him to play both.

Was wondering that myself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, loyalhabsfan said:

What do you guys think the odds are of us getting Shipachyov and Dadonov this offseason? I've seen them play quite a bit and my god with that be a deadly duo to bring into our lineup.

Well, Markov, Emelin, and Nesterov have all played with them in the World Cup. Only Washington has the same number of players from that team. 
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016/9/13/12682672/2016-world-cup-of-hockey-team-russia-preview-roster-x-factor-strengths-weaknesses-ovechkin-malkin

If there are any connections between them (and/or Radulov), they might be sold on coming to Montreal. If they were really close friends with Markov and he asked them to come help him win a cup before he retires, for example. :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Looks like Price gets the start tonight vs the Sens. I suspect he'll play his first B2B this year.

If Price plays tonight and we win .... does he still play game 2? My bet is he only plays game 2 if we lose tonight .......  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/16/2017 at 10:20 AM, RicochetII said:

 

A dozen games left. Mostly against non-playoff or bubble teams. If we win the series against the Sens (2-1), split the Panthers, Bolts, and Wings (3-3), and beat 2 of Dallas, Carolina, and Buffalo (2-1), that's good for a 7-5 record, worth 14 points, getting us to 100 for the season. We "should" be able to finish stronger than that (if our offense comes around) and Ottawa has a tougher closing schedule, so they may have a difficult time keeping pace and finishing first in the division, especially if we take 2 of our games against them. 
Going to be an interesting final stretch, especially if Boston and Tampa stay hot. Most likely 1st round opponents right now are the Rangers or Bruins.

 

Oh so other than kinot,93 & Clues, people do know about the GDT thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

This is serious time, Price needs to play both no matter how bad the team plays in front of him. Montoya can have a game later this B2B is too important. Man I hate the Sens.

After this B2B, we have a series of home games against lesser opponents (Det, Car, Dal, etc.)... so I'd agree that Montoya can be spotted in for 1-2 of those. But before deciding on whether to play Carey tomorrow, I'd see how tonight's game goes. If this one goes to OT and/or Carey has a heavy workload of shots or lots of PK time, then we may be better off going with Montoay tomorrow, especially if we win tonight. Sens might be forced to go Condon in both games, which can hopefully be an advantage to us. No sense in Carey being injured or so over-worked that he's not in top shape for the stretch run and playoffs either, and I'd like to think Montoya still gives us an edge over Condon playing two games in two nights or our facing their 3rd-stringer if Anderson is still hurt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

After this B2B, we have a series of home games against lesser opponents (Det, Car, Dal, etc.)... so I'd agree that Montoya can be spotted in for 1-2 of those. But before deciding on whether to play Carey tomorrow, I'd see how tonight's game goes. If this one goes to OT and/or Carey has a heavy workload of shots or lots of PK time, then we may be better off going with Montoay tomorrow, especially if we win tonight. Sens might be forced to go Condon in both games, which can hopefully be an advantage to us. No sense in Carey being injured or so over-worked that he's not in top shape for the stretch run and playoffs either, and I'd like to think Montoya still gives us an edge over Condon playing two games in two nights or our facing their 3rd-stringer if Anderson is still hurt.

Apparently Anderson is ready to go so likely plays soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Apparently Anderson is ready to go so likely plays soon.

Yesterday they said he would back up Condon this weekend and be ready to start next Tuesday, but haven't heard an update yet from today. Did you find any news on this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BigTed3 said:

Yesterday they said he would back up Condon this weekend and be ready to start next Tuesday, but haven't heard an update yet from today. Did you find any news on this?

That's what I read also. If he's healthy enough to backup, you would have to assume he's ready to go. If Condon loses tonight, I would expect a change Sunday. If he wins, then all bets are off IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Oh so other than kinot,93 & Clues, people do know about the GDT thread.

What does GDT mean? :P

Ever consider automating the process somehow and/or allowing "editor" access for custom changes?
Perhaps allowing thread creation in advance and having 1 person pop on to unlock it at the right time?

I've done some in the past, but I can't commit ahead of time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Playoff race remaining schedules.

Habs: Detroit (H) Carolina (H) Ottawa (H) Dallas (H) Florida (H) Tampa (A) Florida (A) Buffalo (A) Tampa (H) Detroit (A) 

Ottawa: Boston (A) Pens (H) Habs (A) Philly (A) Minny (A) Jets (A) Detroit (A) Detroit (H) Boston (A) NYR (H) NYI (A)

Bruins: Ottawa (H) Tampa (H) NYI (A) Nashville (H) Dallas (H) Florida (H) Hawks (A) Tampa (H) Ottawa (H) Caps (H)

Leafs: Columbus (A) NJD (H) Buffalo (A) Florida (H) Nashville (A) Detroit (A) Buffalo (A) Caps (H) Tampa (H) Pens (H) CBJ (H)

Habs have only 1 game left vs a current playoff team. Sens 6, Bruins 5, Leafs 5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...