The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 State of the Habs

BigTed3

• 2 weeks later...

Except next year I can see MB abandoning his "long-term vision" and start making dumb trades in a desperate attempt to save his buddy MT from the wolves. Just watch, we'll start the season 5-10-5 - or something - and instead of firing the coaching staff, MB will acquire some has-been winger at the expense of a valuable prospect.

But price will be back, so we'll start 15 - 5 - 2 and everyone will commend MB for "sticking with the system that works." Unfortunately, despite a strong regular season, unless something changes, Price will probably have to carry the entire team on his back and basically win the cup on his own. This is especially frustrating because our roster (as Ted pointed out nicely above) is not anywhere near as bad as our system makes it look. I think you can make a strong argument for us having our best roster since the mid 90s to be honest... and yet we look abysmal without Price. This is not how it should be.

'On April 11, 2016 Michel Therrien, Marc Bergevin and Geoff Molson sat in unity at the year end press conference for the Montreal Canadiens. They discussed the disappointment of the 2015-16 season, preached stability going into next season and outlined a plan for improvement in the offseason.

As that press conference came and went, the fans, media and organization have now closed the book on what was a record season of ups and downs. But one question still remains, what is the biggest concern for the Montreal Canadiens and how can they fix it?

You can point to an injury hampered season for Carey Price and the concern with his ability to stay healthy, or concern over the lack of defensive depth as Andrei Markov isn’t getting any younger and Jarred Tinordi flamed out and was traded.

However, there is one concern above all that jumps off the page: The lack of top six scoring.'

http://thehockeywriters.com/what-is-the-biggest-concern-for-the-montreal-canadiens/

i dont know whether to laugh or cry.....its too spot on. im gonna have to go with cry.

buckle your seatbelts my friends

this team is gonna be so much of what you hate next year its going to give you an esophagus disorder

May I suggest acid-reflux,,,, 24/7. :blink:

Here's a list of UFAs, available:

UFAs_zps7lz1ffwd.png

The name that jumps out for me as signable for Montreal is Jagr. We should have signed him before but he was not a good fit for our third and fourth line configurations. He would be our best forward at age 44 and I would give him a two year deal.

^^ Of that list, the order in which MB should be interested in them should be

1. Stamkos

2. Okposo

3. Ladd

4. Backes

5. Eriksson

6. Boedker

7. Perron

I don't have much interest in the rest, but there are a handful of good power forwards out there this season.

I would prefer the under 30 crowd and after Stamkos think our best shot would be with , Boedker or McGinn who can play specific roles without breaking the bank account. I would look at the more expensive players but I don't think Bergy has any spare change. He may be looking to what is becoming a rather good young group of young players to step in at a cheaper price.

The name that jumps out for me as signable for Montreal is Jagr. We should have signed him before but he was not a good fit for our third and fourth line configurations. He would be our best forward at age 44 and I would give him a two year deal.

I agree. This guys shows no signs of slowing down well, maybe in his skating. He just wants to play, and he's big,,, and IMO, cheap at $3.5. The top scorer on the Panthers, with 66 Pts, (27G,39A), a RW, :) . 2 years would be fine with me. maybe Pleks, Jagr and Eller?

^^ Of that list, the order in which MB should be interested in them should be

1. Stamkos

2. Okposo

3. Ladd

4. Backes

5. Eriksson

6. Boedker

7. Perron

I don't have much interest in the rest, but there are a handful of good power forwards out there this season.

"If" we got Stamkos,,,, would Chuck have to go back to the wing?

"If" we got Stamkos,,,, would Chuck have to go back to the wing?

Absolutely not!

Pacioretty-Stamkos-McCarron

Eller-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Andrighetto-Plekanec-Carr

for example. Not ideal to have Eller at wing, so you definitely try to move Plekanec for a winger and then have Eller go back to 3rd line center. But if this is what we have, it's a huge step up on what we have now.

I would prefer the under 30 crowd and after Stamkos think our best shot would be with , Boedker or McGinn who can play specific roles without breaking the bank account. I would look at the more expensive players but I don't think Bergy has any spare change. He may be looking to what is becoming a rather good young group of young players to step in at a cheaper price.

I agree, stick to the under 30 crowd

Absolutely not!

Pacioretty-Stamkos-McCarron

Eller-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Andrighetto-Plekanec-Carr

for example. Not ideal to have Eller at wing, so you definitely try to move Plekanec for a winger and then have Eller go back to 3rd line center. But if this is what we have, it's a huge step up on what we have now.

Eller isn't a good winger, he or Plekanec would have to be moved along with Desharnais if we signed Stamkos. I also think we still need something on that first line. We have 2 snipers there but no real playmaker. I do like Chucky and Gally together and having a more balanced lineup though

Guest Regis2

if we signed Stamkos.

not going to happen

The line up we ended the yr is the one we will probably see start the yr with MB adding some 3rd or 4 th liners

Their is no incentive for Stamkos to come to Montreal

not going to happen

The line up we ended the yr is the one we will probably see start the yr with MB adding some 3rd or 4 th liners

Their is no incentive for Stamkos to come to Montreal

The "only" incentive that Stamkos would have is that PK is his friend, but MT cancels that out.

Obviously if the Habs were able to snare Stamkos it would not be a bad thing... though I doubt it will happen. My interest in Drouin regarding his potential has increased during this year's playoff. But even there I'm not sure the Lightning would consider moving him to our Habs. But as it stands I still wonder if such a big move would be necessary.

With the return of Petry and Price in full health and the performance of some of the call-ups on defense there could be options on the back-end, which could present the opportunity to try Subban at right wing. Would Subban as a right-wing be any worse, if not considerably better, than any other of the current depth available? He could be the defacto top-six right-wing that has been elusive to acquire to this point.

Line #1: Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Subban

Some other players/lines to pick from...

Centers: Plekanec (L), Eller (L), Desharnais (L), Mitchell ®, Flynn ®, Matteau (L), Vejdemo (L)

Left-wing: Carr (RFA), Hudon, Danault (RFA), Byron (UFA), De La Rose, Lessio (RFA), Lehkonen, Reway

Right-wing: Gallagher, Andrighetto (RFA), McCarron, Scherbak. Brown (UFA)

Left-defense: Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu, Barberio (RFA), Bartley (UFA), Hanley (RFA)

Right-defense: Petry, Pateryn, Gilbert (UFA), Dietz (RFA), Ellis (RFA), Lernout, Johnston, Nygren

Just an example...

Line #2: Carr/Hudon - Plekanec/Eller/Desharnais - Gallagher

Line #3: Byron/Danault - Desharnais/Eller/Plekanec - Andrighetto/McCarron/Scherbak, UFA

Line #4: Lessio/De La Rose/Byron/Danault - Mitchell/Flynn/Matteau - Brown (UFA)

D-pair #1: Markov/Emelin/Beaulieu/Barberio - Petry

D-pair #2: Emelin/Markov/Beaulieu/Barberio - Pateryn

D-pair #3: Hanley/Beaulieu/Barberio - Dietz/Ellis/Nygren

Price/Condon/Lindgren

• H_T_L locked this topic