The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 State of the Habs

BigTed3

7 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

This has been one of the most disappointing off-seasons since Bergevin took over. The longer you have no proper strategy to build a team the worse these moments begin to look like, I guess. I hope Bergevin is not the GM of this team by 2018-2019. He has failed to take this team to the next level and has seemingly taken it a step or two back. Weber for Subban, signing Alzner, Carey's absurd extension, not developing young talent, relying on Therrien for too long... What a disappointing recent history to consider.

The worst part is that if you look at the team we had when Bergevin was hired in May 2012, he's made such a mess of it.  We had a solid core, a 3rd overall pick, a slew of young, talented players (most of whom have been developed horribly)... and now what do we have?   Its clear now that Gainey and Gauthier had plans (yes, they both made some mistakes but at least they had a direction) while Bergevin seems to contradict himself endlessly, and prove he has no plan. 

7 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Nesterov gone

Sergachev gone

Emelin gone

Radulov gone

Markov possibly on his way out

Galchenyuk on the trade block (and yes I know he's technically American)

... the Russian contingent of our team has abruptly been sent packing.

I noticed this too.  Seems too much of a pattern to be a coincidence.   I guess they didnt have enough "character.'  Maybe he's getting player development and assessment advice from Don Cherry.

47 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The worst part is that if you look at the team we had when Bergevin was hired in May 2012, he's made such a mess of it.  We had a solid core, a 3rd overall pick, a slew of young, talented players (most of whom have been developed horribly)... and now what do we have?   Its clear now that Gainey and Gauthier had plans (yes, they both made some mistakes but at least they had a direction) while Bergevin seems to contradict himself endlessly, and prove he has no plan. 

I noticed this too.  Seems too much of a pattern to be a coincidence.   I guess they didnt have enough "character.'  Maybe he's getting player development and assessment advice from Don Cherry.

:4224:

I think they will be really good next year. I think we fans undervalue some of the players on the team and what they can contribute. I really only see one glaring hole and that's at centre. We still have to remember that Galchenyuk is still young and he may still be the centre the team needs.

The forward group just got a big boost with Drouin and a depth role with Hemsky. It looks like guys like Lekonen and Hudon will have a fair shake and they show great promise to be plus 20 goal scorers.

Defensively, IMO, we look very scary to play against with Alzner, Benn and Weber manning separate pairings. Petry and Schlemko can move the puck. Davidson played well into the end of the year last year. Jerbak has shown he can move the puck in Europe and we have some reliable (for the most part) bottom d men.

We have an above average goalie tandem and a valuable starter for a long time.

The team isn't getting a #1 left d to play with Weber. We will get Markov back or stand pat. Its either Galchenyuk or some other medicore centre like Anisimov.

Relax everyone.

1 hour ago, Concreteveins1 said:

I think they will be really good next year. I think we fans undervalue some of the players on the team and what they can contribute. I really only see one glaring hole and that's at centre. We still have to remember that Galchenyuk is still young and he may still be the centre the team needs.

The forward group just got a big boost with Drouin and a depth role with Hemsky. It looks like guys like Lekonen and Hudon will have a fair shake and they show great promise to be plus 20 goal scorers.

Defensively, IMO, we look very scary to play against with Alzner, Benn and Weber manning separate pairings. Petry and Schlemko can move the puck. Davidson played well into the end of the year last year. Jerbak has shown he can move the puck in Europe and we have some reliable (for the most part) bottom d men.

We have an above average goalie tandem and a valuable starter for a long time.

The team isn't getting a #1 left d to play with Weber. We will get Markov back or stand pat. Its either Galchenyuk or some other medicore centre like Anisimov.

Relax everyone.

Wow,,, now that's optimism. :)

1 hour ago, Concreteveins1 said:

Defensively, IMO, we look very scary to play against ............

The game has changed , it's all about speed, and moving the puck

The D last year left a lot to be desired  this year other teams will probably jump all over them knowing they are nt the fastest bunch

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

The game has changed , it's all about speed, and moving the puck

The D last year left a lot to be desired  this year other teams will probably jump all over them knowing they are nt the fastest bunch

We were considered a fast, skilled team that's lacking size and toughness when MB took over. After all those trades he made, we certainly weren't pushed around anymore, yet couldn't buy a goal to win a playoff series. MB is clearly going against the trend, unwilling to acknowledge how the game has changed and assembling a team that would probably look pretty solid in the hook & grab era.

Maybe someone should tell him that's not how you're going to win the Stanley Cup today though.

13 hours ago, ChiLla said:

We were considered a fast, skilled team that's lacking size and toughness when MB took over. After all those trades he made, we certainly weren't pushed around anymore, yet couldn't buy a goal to win a playoff series. MB is clearly going against the trend, unwilling to acknowledge how the game has changed and assembling a team that would probably look pretty solid in the hook & grab era.

Maybe someone should tell him that's not how you're going to win the Stanley Cup today though.

It won't do any good.  Maybe he thinks Price will also provide the offense.  

Oh brother, does Molson not have any say in these signings

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/canadiens-name-francis-bouillon-teams-development-coach

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin has decided to shake up the team’s player-development staff, naming former defenceman Francis Bouillon development coach.

Bouillon replaces Rob Ramage, who becomes the Canadiens’ director of player development.

Martin Lapointe, who was director of player development, now becomes director of player personnel, while Vincent Riendeau is the new director of goalie development. Riendeau used to be assistant general manager for the Canadiens’ AHL team.

Since the 2008 NHL Draft, only four players selected by the Canadiens have gone on to play 100 or more games in the NHL: Alex Galchenyuk, Brendan Gallagher, Nathan Beaulieu and Sven Andrighetto. Beaulieu (Buffalo) and Andrighetto (Colorado) are no longer with the Canadiens.

I really think that Julien will make defense will be better. I think they are going to have a good system that allows Price to see the puck and make saves that slow the game.

With the type of defensive players they have and the speed up front, it's going to be a neutral trap and counter attack system. I think this complements the type of players on the team.

I think we could all agree that the penalty kill has the potential to be in the top 5.

Last season the Canadiens scored 223 goals placing them 15th in the league. They allowed 198 goals placing them 4th in the league. Where did our goals come from?

Last season                       Projected this season

Patches                35                           35

Byron                    22                           15

Radulov                18      Drouin           22

Lehkonen              18                           17

Galchenyuk           17                           25

Weber                   17                            12

Danault                  13                           12

Shaw                      12                           15

Gallagher                10                          18

Plekanec                 10                          12

Others                      51                          51

Totals                      223                       234

Some players will regress and others will rebound so I have given best guesses. Goals against will be interesting depending on Price's performance and health. Our forward group defensively has not changed much. Drouin is somewhat weak defensively but Radulov was not that much different. Will Galchenyuk be more responsible defensively? Worse case I expect our goals for totals to be about the same as last year but we don't have a great differential to play with and of course our defense is a concern. If we allow say another 15 goals more than last year and half our OT/SO wins go away and say two reg time wins, we are at 93 points and out of the playoffs.

Tough to predict at this point ......

I cant find the article, and I will keep searching and try to link it, but the gist of it was that the money we have committed to Price and Weber  is the most in the league except for Toews and Kane and I think one more.

We were 3rd in highest money committed to 2 players

Thats horrendous.

4 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

I cant find the article, and I will keep searching and try to link it, but the gist of it was that the money we have committed to Price and Weber  is the most in the league except for Toews and Kane and I think one more.

We were 3rd in highest money committed to 2 players

Thats horrendous.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/canadiens/big-contracts-see-canadiens-cup-window-closing-quickly/

Devils advocate ... that salary commitment would look the same whether it was Price/Subban or Price/Webber.   I'm in the camp that Price/Subban would have produced better results but it still remains that's a lot of money tied up between two players.

56 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/canadiens/big-contracts-see-canadiens-cup-window-closing-quickly/

Devils advocate ... that salary commitment would look the same whether it was Price/Subban or Price/Webber.   I'm in the camp that Price/Subban would have produced better results but it still remains that's a lot of money tied up between two players.

Im personally very low on weber....I dont find he does anything special anymore other than have a huge shot (amazing how our best fwd is the same thing....which makes things worse) so to me the gap between him and subban is not negligible, and I think thats just going to become more and more obvious very quickly.

that being said, even a duo of price subban for that money is not good.  I would trade it for just about any other top duo on that list. I think we are officially painted into a corner with what we just spent our money on, and when we give patches his big payday it will be the final paintstroke.

7 hours ago, jeff33 said:

Im personally very low on weber....I dont find he does anything special anymore other than have a huge shot (amazing how our best fwd is the same thing....which makes things worse) so to me the gap between him and subban is not negligible, and I think thats just going to become more and more obvious very quickly.

that being said, even a duo of price subban for that money is not good.  I would trade it for just about any other top duo on that list. I think we are officially painted into a corner with what we just spent our money on, and when we give patches his big payday it will be the final paintstroke.

I think in one more season Weber may well be untradeable with his contract. I believe it is not so much the total dollars committed to two players as it is the fact that one of our pair is a goaltender who will be 31 years old when the extension kicks in to play. I love Carey Price for what he has meant to this franchise but I never dreamed that he would demand so much money or that the Habs would be stupid enough to pay it! The longer this regime remains in control the deeper the death spiral will get .....  

1 hour ago, eldag said:

I think in one more season Weber may well be untradeable with his contract. I believe it is not so much the total dollars committed to two players as it is the fact that one of our pair is a goaltender who will be 31 years old when the extension kicks in to play. I love Carey Price for what he has meant to this franchise but I never dreamed that he would demand so much money or that the Habs would be stupid enough to pay it! The longer this regime remains in control the deeper the death spiral will get .....  

Agreed, we should have traded Price & Weber and loaded up offence.

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:46 AM, BigTed3 said:

... the Russian contingent of our team has abruptly been sent packing.

A friend of PK's is not a friend of MB's. Markov gets married and guess who is at the wedding > :5210:

DEJrns0XgAAqPPJ.jpg

• H_T_L locked this topic