The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 State of the Habs

BigTed3

Bodog has released its odds for the 2016-17 Cup. The Pens are favored to repeat at 8-1 then the Hawks at 10-1. The Habs are tied for 14th/15th-best odds at 20-1. So clearly the oddsmakers think Carey's return will boost us out of the basement, but not enough to make us legitimate contenders unless further change is made as well.

i don't know why they release the odds so soon. Say for instance we were to sign Stamkos, our odds would immediately improve. The same for any other team.

'In my opinion the Habs should swing for the fences this off-season and makeSteven Stamkos an offer he can’t possibly refuse. It’s extremely rare to find a player of his caliber available in free agency. If the Habs can’t land Stamkos then I would consider Kyle Okposo or Loui Eriksson.'

https://awinninghabit.com/2016/06/13/habs-need-improve-scoring-offseason/

'In my opinion the Habs should swing for the fences this off-season and makeSteven Stamkos an offer he can’t possibly refuse. It’s extremely rare to find a player of his caliber available in free agency. If the Habs can’t land Stamkos then I would consider Kyle Okposo or Loui Eriksson.'

Just land someone! There is no reason not to add a top 6 forward at the very least! I don't think its REALLY about money for Stamkos at this point. Make him a fair offer, if he wants to come here, he'll come

Thing is though, every team in the league would offer him a sweet deal. Stamkos is arguably (should be make to UFA) the most talented player ever to go free agent in his prime. What that means is that basically where Stamkos ends up is going to be entirely up to him. Hopefuly with us, but really its going to come down to where he wants to play.

Thing is though, every team in the league would offer him a sweet deal. Stamkos is arguably (should be make to UFA) the most talented player ever to go free agent in his prime. What that means is that basically where Stamkos ends up is going to be entirely up to him. Hopefuly with us, but really its going to come down to where he wants to play.

That's completely it.

I'm not holding my breath.

Absolutely. But when you do the analysis of what places make sense for Stamkos, there aren't a lot of cities ahead of us. I think you have to have the feeling he's at least willing to test the market and see what exists outside of Tampa. You have to believe he wants upwards of 10M and that many teams just can't afford to pay that or fit that under the cap. You have to believe he wants to be a number one center and that Pittsburgh is not going to displace Crosby and Chicago is not going to displace Toews and so on. And you have to believe Stamkos wants a reasonable shot at winning the Cup. Maybe one of those assumptions is wrong, but if they're all true (and they're all reasonable), then a lot of clubs fall off the list, and Montreal is one of the teams that rises to the top as a candidate destination. Factor in the Subban factor and the Price factor and those help. Factor in the Therrien factor and the Quebec taxes and those don't. And maybe like Vanek, he's set on heading to one destination (Toronto in this case) for family reasons. But barring that, I think we're a really interesting choice. I fully agree with you that Stamkos can choose where he wants to go, but if you think about what he's going to base that decision on, I think we're one of the top 3-4 potential choices, not just one choice out of thirty.

Absolutely. But when you do the analysis of what places make sense for Stamkos, there aren't a lot of cities ahead of us. I think you have to have the feeling he's at least willing to test the market and see what exists outside of Tampa. You have to believe he wants upwards of 10M and that many teams just can't afford to pay that or fit that under the cap. You have to believe he wants to be a number one center and that Pittsburgh is not going to displace Crosby and Chicago is not going to displace Toews and so on. And you have to believe Stamkos wants a reasonable shot at winning the Cup. Maybe one of those assumptions is wrong, but if they're all true (and they're all reasonable), then a lot of clubs fall off the list, and Montreal is one of the teams that rises to the top as a candidate destination. Factor in the Subban factor and the Price factor and those help. Factor in the Therrien factor and the Quebec taxes and those don't. And maybe like Vanek, he's set on heading to one destination (Toronto in this case) for family reasons. But barring that, I think we're a really interesting choice. I fully agree with you that Stamkos can choose where he wants to go, but if you think about what he's going to base that decision on, I think we're one of the top 3-4 potential choices, not just one choice out of thirty.

Unless Stamkos wants to waste 5 years in Hogtown waiting for them to have a contending team, then I don't feel he will go there.

I know the taxes in Quebec are high,,, but wouldn't endorsements help take care of those?

Montreal is only an hour's flight from T.O. (if that).

Geoff would rake in the $$$ from merchandising as well.

Like you Ted, I feel were in the top 3-4 teams that could give him what he wants, he would be the #1 center, playing with very good wingers.

Swing for the fences, MB., cuz now is the time.

If MB can't find a trade partner for DD and Emelin, (picks?) he "could" buy them out for a total savings of 3.7 mil.

The teams that have been rumored to have shown the most interest in going after Stamkos include Tor, Mtl, TB, Buf, and Det. Out of those teams, us and Tampa probably give the most realistic chance of winning a Cup soon. Tor and Buf are closest to home for him, but neither has a franchise goalie nor a clear #1 defenceman, as the Habs and Lightning have.

The teams that have been rumored to have shown the most interest in going after Stamkos include Tor, Mtl, TB, Buf, and Det. Out of those teams, us and Tampa probably give the most realistic chance of winning a Cup soon. Tor and Buf are closest to home for him, but neither has a franchise goalie nor a clear #1 defenceman, as the Habs and Lightning have.

I hope you're right BT. The question is, is MB actively throwing offers his (Stamkos') way.

Guest Regis2

. And you have to believe Stamkos wants a reasonable shot at winning the Cup.

I think Montreal is still a long way from having a reasonable shot at the Cup , that plus we don't have the salary cap space . Sure you can dump a whole bunch of players but then that just weakens you in other areas

I think Montreal is still a long way from having a reasonable shot at the Cup , that plus we don't have the salary cap space . Sure you can dump a whole bunch of players but then that just weakens you in other areas

I wrote this somewhere else a while ago, but I am of the camp that we are pathetically weak on the wings and we would probably be a better team for taking the money we would spend on stammer and go for okposo and even another good winger.

either way, a major upgrade to our offense is non-negotiable, and resigning dale weise and extending brian flynn for 10 more years are not the answers, and anymore of that should spell the end for GM foxhole bargainbin.

emelin and dd need to come off the books this off season, and plekanec next.

I am cringing in anticipation of what next misstep this management group is going to take, but if there is any triumph of sanity, these are the moves that need to happen.

Guest habs1952

Unless Stamkos wants to waste 5 years in Hogtown waiting for them to have a contending team, then I don't feel he will go there.

I know the taxes in Quebec are high,,, but wouldn't endorsements help take care of those?

A good accountant can help mitigate the hit from high taxes.

I personally think we're really one Stamkos-like player away from being a perennial contender. Hopefully 91 thinks so too.

again, I don't. after patch and gallagher, our next 2 best wingers are carr and ghetto. although I am a fan of both, thats atrocious

adding a star center will not change the fact that we have next to no offensive depth. we need at least 2 more consistent scorers in our top 9, no matter how you slice it

again, I don't. after patch and gallagher, our next 2 best wingers are carr and ghetto. although I am a fan of both, thats atrocious

adding a star center will not change the fact that we have next to no offensive depth. we need at least 2 more consistent scorers in our top 9, no matter how you slice it

If you sign Stamkos, it almost invariably spells the end of Plekanec and Desharnais in Montreal OR it means that the team is okay with using Galchenyuk at wing permanently. Galchenyuk should be the true #1 center we've been looking for, but if you nab Stamkos long-term, then there's a discussion to be had about whether you can keep AG at wing. McCarron is another guy who IMO should be given the opportunity to play RW in the top 6. I don't like him as much at center. With Stamkos, we could in theory have a top 9 of

Pacioretty-Stamkos-Gallagher

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-McCarron

Andrighetto-Eller-Carr

To me, that's not shabby at all. And maybe we get lucky and there's another guy who's NHL-ready or who we can sign/trade for (if you deal away Plekanec and/or Markov, Emelin, Desharnais, a prospect, etc.). I agree we're 1-2 top 6 players away from being a more complete roster, but I also believe there's a chance to find those guys from within if the coach was a bit more permissive (and maybe Muller helps with that). I also think we have one of the deepest and most offensively-talented blue lines in the league and we have the #1 goalie. If you add an elite player like Stamkos and you get a better system and powerplay in place, we should be one of the top 2-3 teams in the East. If we're not, then it's because of coaching, not because of the roster.

Do you think management will exercise a buyout before next season? Who do you think will be bought out?

For me, I think they will buy out Emelin's contract. Because they can't trade him.

It's an option. It would save the team 2.7M in cap space this year and 2.9M the year after, but cost us 1.4M in cap room for the two subsequent years. We don't really need Emelin if it permits us to sign a Stamkos or Okposo or so on, as I think Barberio can do his job. That said, I do think there's a trade market for Emelin, so long as we can find a team that isn't on his no-trade list.

I would rather keep Emelin unless we absolutely need his cap dollars. He may be overpaid but he's a useful player. He's also a guy who I still believe can be a key played in the playoffs. When he is on his game he is worth every penny, he's just very inconsistent

I'd trade him but to buy him out seems like a waste

What kind of money would we save on DD if we were to buy him out? Would it even be worth it since his contract expires after this season? We really have to make a decision between him and Eller since it's apparent that MT can't figure out how to use either effectively. It's getting ridiculous; I can't bear to watch another year of Eller playing wing.

What kind of money would we save on DD if we were to buy him out? Would it even be worth it since his contract expires after this season? We really have to make a decision between him and Eller since it's apparent that MT can't figure out how to use either effectively. It's getting ridiculous; I can't bear to watch another year of Eller playing wing.

We would save 2.3M this season but pay out an extra 1.1M next year.

We would save 2.3M this season but pay out an extra 1.1M next year.

DD buy out ....

you can count on me to chip in, if needed :D

no need to buy him out tho... we could always just trade him for a few pucks or a roll of tape or 2 :ph34r: )

this is what horrifies me, that this management might actually be considering that theres a decision there at all

eller is an extremely effective defensive player even if you refuse to give him any credit for his offensive game, which is badly underrated by this team

dd is an ineffective offfensive player with no defensive game to speak of whose biggest contribution to the team at this point is taking up a roster spot from better players.

trade for anything, and if unavailable buyout 100%

• H_T_L locked this topic