The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 State of the Habs

BigTed3

Gotta love the current roster of forwards

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

8 players under 6 ft

I can see this team getting pushed around and losing puck battles

And none of the guys over 6 feet really play that big. Maybe Lessio, who won't get much of a role with the team, and McCarron, who's utilization will be questionable. It's absolutely fine and even desired to have skill guys despite their size. What are problems are

1. Having lots of small guys who are not skilled (i.e. the Byrons, Flynns, etc. are not providing much offence and not providing much size or physicality either, so they're limited in what they can bring to the table).

2. Having an abundance of small players without also having bigger skill players to complement them. It's fine to have a Drouin, Tyler Johnson, Gaudreau, and so on, but you also need the Brian Boyle, Monahan, Callahan, etc. to intermingle with them in the line-up. It's not advisable to have 3-4 lines if guys who can be pushed around. You don't have options in that case.

this is what horrifies me, that this management might actually be considering that theres a decision there at all

eller is an extremely effective defensive player even if you refuse to give him any credit for his offensive game, which is badly underrated by this team

dd is an ineffective offfensive player with no defensive game to speak of whose biggest contribution to the team at this point is taking up a roster spot from better players.

trade for anything, and if unavailable buyout 100%

How is your horror level now Jeff? DD is your new permanent 3rd line centre and Eller has been liberated from this hell hole of an organization. Good luck to him with a contender in Washington.

How is your horror level now Jeff? DD is your new permanent 3rd line centre and Eller has been liberated from this hell hole of an organization. Good luck to him with a contender in Washington.

exactly what i expected from these guys. another clueless move from a clueless regime. but hey at least we got another grinder right?

Typical MB

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/andrew-shaw-excited-fresh-start-canadiens-200938818--nhl.html

Bergevin, a former assistant GM in Chicago, said Friday that Shaw is a ''character guy'' who knows what it takes to win. Shaw was drafted by the Blackhawks in 2011 and won two Stanley Cups over five seasons in the Windy City.

CHARACTER CHARACTER CHARACTER! <_<

I'm glad that being on a team with Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews is MB's main criteria for determining who to acquire via trade.

CHARACTER CHARACTER CHARACTER! <_<

I'm glad that being on a team with Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews is MB's main criteria for determining who to acquire via trade.

Habs are tougher to play against

The Canadiens made a deal at the draft and picked up forward Andrew Shaw and TSN Hockey insider Bob McKenzie thinks it's a move that will add more grit to the Habs roster.

Has Bob McKenzie ever been wrong, not that I can recall.

(Full disclosure - I'm a Blackhawks fan and long time season ticket holder). Just wanted to chime in on the Shaw trade - he has been my favorite player since we brought him up and I hate to see him leave our organization. We just can't pay him - another cap casualty. I'm happy for him getting to be on another original 6 team. I can tell the board here seems to be ho-hum about this but you guys will LOVE this kid when you see him play for you. The effort, the grinding - it's hard to put it into words but you will see it on the ice. I have been upset all weekend about this trade although it wasn't a total surprise as I knew in order to keep him he'd have to settle for about $3M per. And the word leaked out he wants $4.5M per so I knew he would be dealt. He will turn many Habs fans into fans of his - just watch. I wore his jersey to every game and had my license plate on my car with his name (I'll keep it til it's time to renew and will then sadly have to change it out). Give him a chance - you will be impressed.

(Full disclosure - I'm a Blackhawks fan and long time season ticket holder). Just wanted to chime in on the Shaw trade - he has been my favorite player since we brought him up and I hate to see him leave our organization. We just can't pay him - another cap casualty. I'm happy for him getting to be on another original 6 team. I can tell the board here seems to be ho-hum about this but you guys will LOVE this kid when you see him play for you. The effort, the grinding - it's hard to put it into words but you will see it on the ice. I have been upset all weekend about this trade although it wasn't a total surprise as I knew in order to keep him he'd have to settle for about $3M per. And the word leaked out he wants $4.5M per so I knew he would be dealt. He will turn many Habs fans into fans of his - just watch. I wore his jersey to every game and had my license plate on my car with his name (I'll keep it til it's time to renew and will then sadly have to change it out). Give him a chance - you will be impressed.

Thanks for the post, Scott!

I actually am really looking forward to see Shaw play for the Habs. I think he'll help. My concern is only with Habs management's belief that he is more than what he is: a 3rd/4th line energy player. He's not a top 6 winger IMO. He's not a 20-30 goal man. And he's not worth 4-5M a year.

On a separate note, FWIW no qualifying offers for Dietz and Lessio. I hope they still give Lessio a contract offer though.

Thanks for the post, Scott!

I actually am really looking forward to see Shaw play for the Habs. I think he'll help. My concern is only with Habs management's belief that he is more than what he is: a 3rd/4th line energy player. He's not a top 6 winger IMO. He's not a 20-30 goal man. And he's not worth 4-5M a year.

On a separate note, FWIW no qualifying offers for Dietz and Lessio. I hope they still give Lessio a contract offer though.

I agree he's not a top six forward by any means. So 3rd/4th liner for sure. Although at times when a guy from the 1st/2nd line goes down to injury he has stepped up nicely into that role. He's good for about 14 goals a year. And with all the big money thrown around these days he's looking for $4.5Mper but probably will sign for $3.5-$4M per. Which is still high for a bottom 6 guy but he's got people that love him like I do.

I agree he's not a top six forward by any means. So 3rd/4th liner for sure. Although at times when a guy from the 1st/2nd line goes down to injury he has stepped up nicely into that role. He's good for about 14 goals a year. And with all the big money thrown around these days he's looking for $4.5Mper but probably will sign for $3.5-$4M per. Which is still high for a bottom 6 guy but he's got people that love him like I do.

Here in Montreal we've given out decent money and term to 3rd/4th liners like Prust, Moen, Byron, and Desharnais. None of those situations has really been ideal and we've been unable to add to our top 6 because of all the money committed to the bottom 6. It's one of Bergevin's biggest faults, outside of his mistaken refusal to fire Therrien. So as fans, we're a bit hesitant to commit term to lower-tier players, even if they might be good at their jobs.

Further news on RFA's... Carr, Danault, and Shaw all qualified. The rest did not receive offers but could still be re-signed. They now become UFA's. These include Bournival, Bennett, Dietz, Lessio, and Ellis. Surprised to see Ellis not given a QO. He was very good in the AHL last year but seemed to be short-changed on his shot at the NHL while lesser guys got more chance. Feeling is that the team just doesn't like him (as with Thomas, Kristo, Hudon, and so on). Certain guys just get less opportunity despite good performance. Habs have an opening for a 7th D man potentially (if Emelin is dealt) and would need a guy on a cheap deal. Ellis for me was ahead of Hanley, Lernout, and Johnston in earning that role.

Here in Montreal we've given out decent money and term to 3rd/4th liners like Prust, Moen, Byron, and Desharnais. None of those situations has really been ideal and we've been unable to add to our top 6 because of all the money committed to the bottom 6. It's one of Bergevin's biggest faults, outside of his mistaken refusal to fire Therrien. So as fans, we're a bit hesitant to commit term to lower-tier players, even if they might be good at their jobs.

Yep. Under (almost) any other front office, I've no doubt Shaw would quickly become a richly loved figure among the Montreal faithful. The dysfunctional duo of Therrien and Bergevin, however, regularly become severely infatuated with bottom 6 players of a certain stripe and proceed to chronically misuse and overvalue them, much to the team's detriment. Regardless of his good nature and intangibles, Shaw's limitations are going to be made very, very visible if he's given ~5% more 5-on-5 ice time here.

That bit of measured pessimism aside, your insight is greatly appreciated, greatscott. It's hard enough for dedicated fans to get a good view of the players in our division, let alone ones who play in the other conference. :)

Habs confirming Andrew Shaw has signed a 6-year deal. Still waiting on AAV amount.

Bergevin's statement on the signing manages to include the words grit, character, leadership, Cup champion, determination, and excitement. No word on skill or scoring ability from the GM yet, but we can hold our breathes.

Habs confirming Andrew Shaw has signed a 6-year deal. Still waiting on AAV amount.

Bergevin's statement on the signing manages to include the words grit, character, leadership, Cup champion, determination, and excitement. No word on skill or scoring ability from the GM yet, but we can hold our breathes.

Six? Oy.

Andrew Shaw is now the 3rd highest-paid forward on the team and makes more than Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Eller, and Desharnais are making. And he got this deal even though he's not even a UFA.

Based on the Forsberg and Shaw contracts, I don't see how we can give Galchenyuk anything less than 5.5-6M a season. Which is fine because he's potentially a #1 center. But to give a 3rd/4th liner 6 years AND almost 4M a season! Shaw got both term AND a high AAV for a plugger. Way too much. If MB thought Gallagher was only worth 3.75M, how does he think Shaw is worth more?

Assuming Carr and Danault fill out the roster of 13 forwards, and we carry the 7 D and 2 goalies we are projected to, then we are expected to have about 7M in free cap space. So if you subtract any of Plekanec, DD, Markov, and Emelin, it instantly gives you enough to be able to add Stamkos. The space is there. Bergevin just needs to get moving on some salary dumping.

Of note, McKenzie reporting Desharnais was the most actively shopped Hab at the deadline last year, and numerous rumors suggesting the Habs are waiting until July 1st to have Emelin's NMC become a NTC to try to move him. Two key elements that we need to clear out to make the moves we need to for more talented players.

Guest Regis2

And there is your Stamkos signing for this year

Funny , the guy was a 3rd liner on Chicago , they couldn't afford him , so MB and MT are now paying him big $$$$'s and going to make him into the 2 nd line winger

Scott Cullen with an open question on twitter to name any bottom 6 forwards on long-term deals with an AAV over 3.5M who have had enough success to justify their contracts. Tough one.

The sad thing is that the deal shows Bergevin really does believe Shaw is just as good a player as Gallagher, which he's not.

Guest Regis2

But to give a 3rd/4th liner 6 years AND almost 4M a season! Shaw got both term AND a high AAV for a plugger. Way too much. If MB thought Gallagher was only worth 3.75M, how does he think Shaw is worth more?

Shaw is going to be the 2nd line winger

MG drafter him in Chicago , he has character and 2 Cups

Assuming Carr and Danault fill out the roster of 13 forwards, and we carry the 7 D and 2 goalies we are projected to, then we are expected to have about 7M in free cap space. So if you subtract any of Plekanec, DD, Markov, and Emelin, it instantly gives you enough to be able to add Stamkos. The space is there. Bergevin just needs to get moving on some salary dumping.

:lol: As much as you want Stamkos here , it's not happening

:lol: As much as you want Stamkos here , it's not happening

LOL. Not saying we have the best odds in real life. But we should be a contender and on paper, we should be a very desirable choice. Look at the other options we know about (Tor, Det, Buf, NYR, NYI, Van)... assuming he doesn't end up going back to Tampa because he doesn't get along with the coach (which is an assumption that may not be true), ask yourself how many of the next 7 years would Stamkos have a legitimate shot at a Cup with each of those organizations. Every team will offer him 10M plus and a full 7 years. So the differences in contracts are probably negligible. All of those teams save the Isles can offer him the chance to play the #1 center position.

This decision will come down to what city Stamkos wants to play in, which players he's going to get to play with, and what his odds of winning Cups are. We can't control the first criterion, but look at the list of teams again and look at the last two questions. If Marc Bergevin has skill as a GM, it shouldn't be hard to convince Stamkos that Subban, Price, Galchenyuk, and Pacioretty give him the most chances of winning Cups over the 7-year span. If SS is making the decision based on where he wants to live, there's not much MB can do ( a la Vanek situation). If Stamkos chooses Toronto or Tampa, then we can't fault Bergevin. But if Stamkos chooses anywhere else, then it's a failure on Bergevin's part to sell his angle to the maximum. Because the facts alone really support Montreal as being one of the best potential situations for him.

• H_T_L locked this topic